The way mine is working today you can put me in the pis sed off kind of owner.
    08-03-11 11:46 AM
    I have another great "idea", buy another playbook! the more we buy, the sales goes up, right?
    08-03-11 11:51 AM
    Hey all,

The OP makes a great point, RIM obviously needs help. It's like the alcoholics I work with... When it gets really bad and they can't see that there is something wrong, then its time for an intervention! An intervention is NOT a bunch of whiney people pointing out all of your flaws and transgressions. It is a group of friends and family who not only are strong enough to sit with you and help you through the most challenging time in your life, but they will knock you on your A$$ when you try to have a drink.

We need to view this as RIM's intervention... Some of you may have seen my open letter to RIM on the PB Accessibility Features.

Dear RIM: Can we please get some accessibility options on the BlackBerry PlayBook ASAP? | CrackBerry.com

Well, I refined that letter a bit more and sent hard copies to both Co-CEOs. What happened next was increadible. I got a call from RIM VP of Product Management for the PB, Bill Werner. We openly discussed the things that were wrong with PB (Accessibility wise). He assured me that he would talk with his Accessibility Team (headed by Greg Fields) to get my concerns addressed. I was patient and even threw some real resources his way to point him in the right direction. Since that initial call, I have spoken with Bill a couple more times and have gotten very open updates (sans NDA) about the status of upcoming OS Updates and what will and will not be included. I have not started a thread on this because the thread would probably be met with sarcasm and accusations (due to the recent rash of false update claims).

So take my word for what it is worth, there is a huge update coming in September (I believe some of you know it as the SWEEEET update), if you want details... PM me.

Remember, RIM is old skool and sometimes the "old skool" communication gets through better than the obvious BB Email or Forum Post.

Let's help our friend RIM through this crisis with dignity and grace and for the love of Goddess... get over your own insecurities and come up with some creative solutions yourself. It will be more well received than repeating what everyone else is saying.

End Rant.
    08-03-11 12:06 PM
    Let's help our friend RIM through this crisis...
    Yep. Let's all hold RIM's hand and use soft voices to avoid hurting RIM's feelings. Friend? Really? Simply amazing.
    08-03-11 12:17 PM
    What about us who just complain a little about the basic functionality of the device and who don't whine all the time about getting new apps and native email? Ie- customizing home screen and bookmarks have been my main beef. I would like native email and Android Player, but I don't complain about it. Don't we get a little slack?
    Slack granted. You have behaved very well
    08-03-11 12:23 PM
    just two catagories? how about those who have other tablets, and just notice what isnt here, that should be....the phones kick ****, why not just use that OS? and when the tablet OS is fully baked give us the download? leaving the misspells because my tour would have the spellcheck option. also auto capitalization, and a way to pedictivly move the cursur......
    The two categories were of PlayBook owners... if you have another tab you have a category of your own...
    08-03-11 12:24 PM
    Yep. Let's all hold RIM's hand and use soft voices to avoid hurting RIM's feelings. Friend? Really? Simply amazing.

Exactly, sarcasm and generally unhelpful shmucks don't get the point. And if I have to explain my own reasoning, ESPECIALLY if it works better than being a belittling tool, then it's not worth it... I'm Done. Good Luck getting everything you want by being a crybaby... I'm sure your parents appreciate it. And I hope to **** you never have to deal with any real life problems because you could kill someone with your attitude.
    08-03-11 12:24 PM
    I have another great "idea", buy another playbook! the more we buy, the sales goes up, right?
    I would have done that but when I search on the pb for stores selling playbooks, I could not search for the term "playbook!" Seems there is no search function in the full-featured browser.
    08-03-11 12:27 PM
    You must not have many friends - a friendship is about giving - not "what's in it for me". Even though in this case - more sales = more apps and more resources for support. My goodness people are so self centered they don't even recognize when a little giving and kind courtesy can be good for them...

Gotta give a little to get a little....RIM is not the enemy. What goes around comes around...
    Draconianfire83 likes this.
    08-03-11 12:28 PM
    Hey all,

The OP makes a great point, RIM obviously needs help. It's like the alcoholics I work with... When it gets really bad and they can't see that there is something wrong, then its time for an intervention! An intervention is NOT a bunch of whiney people pointing out all of your flaws and transgressions. It is a group of friends and family who not only are strong enough to sit with you and help you through the most challenging time in your life, but they will knock you on your A$$ when you try to have a drink.

We need to view this as RIM's intervention... Some of you may have seen my open letter to RIM on the PB Accessibility Features.

Dear RIM: Can we please get some accessibility options on the BlackBerry PlayBook ASAP? | CrackBerry.com

Well, I refined that letter a bit more and sent hard copies to both Co-CEOs. What happened next was increadible. I got a call from RIM VP of Product Management for the PB, Bill Werner. We openly discussed the things that were wrong with PB (Accessibility wise). He assured me that he would talk with his Accessibility Team (headed by Greg Fields) to get my concerns addressed. I was patient and even threw some real resources his way to point him in the right direction. Since that initial call, I have spoken with Bill a couple more times and have gotten very open updates (sans NDA) about the status of upcoming OS Updates and what will and will not be included. I have not started a thread on this because the thread would probably be met with sarcasm and accusations (due to the recent rash of false update claims).

So take my word for what it is worth, there is a huge update coming in September (I believe some of you know it as the SWEEEET update), if you want details... PM me.

Remember, RIM is old skool and sometimes the "old skool" communication gets through better than the obvious BB Email or Forum Post.

Let's help our friend RIM through this crisis with dignity and grace and for the love of Goddess... get over your own insecurities and come up with some creative solutions yourself. It will be more well received than repeating what everyone else is saying.

End Rant.
    Awesome story- thanks....
    When I encounter sarcastic sourpusses I just hold my head a little higher...and feel sympathy for the pathetic misery that is their life...
    08-03-11 12:31 PM
    Exactly, sarcasm and generally unhelpful shmucks don't get the point. And if I have to explain my own reasoning, ESPECIALLY if it works better than being a belittling tool, then it's not worth it... I'm Done. Good Luck getting everything you want by being a crybaby... I'm sure your parents appreciate it. And I hope to **** you never have to deal with any real life problems because you could kill someone with your attitude.
    With ALL DUE RESPECT of course, these people obviously learned this at the age of three when their tantrums got them everything they wanted from their weak tired parents who eventually just gave in...
    08-03-11 12:34 PM
    Forgot the category of people that don't drink the koolaid of any company and refuse to accept products that are inferior, overpriced, overhyped after paying their hard earned money and chalk the shortcomings up to "potential".
    djdrastic and howarmat like this.
    08-03-11 12:36 PM
    I would have done that but when I search on the pb for stores selling playbooks, I could not search for the term "playbook!" Seems there is no search function in the full-featured browser.
    Huh? Have you heard of google.com?
    Forgot the category of people that don't drink the koolaid of any company and refuse to accept products that are inferior, overpriced, overhyped after paying their hard earned money and chalk the shortcomings up to "potential".
    Are you talking about iPads?
    Rim, THEY, is a CORPORATION. They are not a friend. Their two CEO's get paid lots of money to run that corporation and are not being paid to make friends, obviously.

They made promises and have not explained how or when they are going to deliver on those promises. I don't pay friends to make promises as I can generally rely on them.

Sympathy only goes so far. A friendship is mutual. There is no mutualism about this relationship. Company/customer.

(re: google - yup but once that page is showing on my screen I canNOT search for the term "playbook." Actually, I canNOT search for any term on any webpage that the pb presents me. This absence bugs me almost each and every day.)
    08-03-11 02:44 PM
    So... just to get this straight: the idea is that we enter places of business and add to/alter their displays to "help" RIM?

Also, the biggest issue with the PB is that retailers are "sleeping" them and otherwise making them inoperable?

I say we cut to the chase. I'll leave my paypal address, and we all should contribute to buy some air-time to show some home made commercials that extol the devices and help companies out. We can also do attack ads just like politicians do every election cycle.
    08-03-11 02:51 PM
    Rim, THEY, is a CORPORATION. They are not a friend. Their two CEO's get paid lots of money to run that corporation and are not being paid to make friends, obviously.

They made promises and have not explained how or when they are going to deliver on those promises. I don't pay friends to make promises as I can generally rely on them.

Sympathy only goes so far. A friendship is mutual. There is no mutualism about this relationship. Company/customer.

(re: google - yup but once that page is showing on my screen I canNOT search for the term "playbook." Actually, I canNOT search for any term on any webpage that the pb presents me. This absence bugs me almost each and every day.)
    Any entity (corporations are composed of PEOPLE, believe it or not) that can produce an awesome device like the PlayBook which makes my life more efficient and gives me more freedom is my aggregate FRIEND and I will support furthering of the friendship ....there were no promises, only mentions of schedules and huge assumptions made that they would be met, in the midst of all the turmoil...give my friends a break. Point is the better they do the better we all do, those that love and stick with PlayBook that is. If not, why even be posting here? Makes no sense.

(re: google - no idea what the problem is - I have no trouble searching for "playbook" or anything else in google on my playbook...that's just bizarre)
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-03-11 at 02:54 PM.
    08-03-11 02:52 PM

Silence, ye whiner! Sit back and enjoy the device as-is! Anything else is whining. Do your part and make some promo materials and late night infomercials.
    djdrastic likes this.
    08-03-11 02:54 PM
    Silence, ye whiner! Sit back and enjoy the device as-is! Anything else is whining. Do your part and make some promo materials and late night infomercials.
    Thanks I needed a LMAO today.
    08-03-11 02:58 PM
    So... just to get this straight: the idea is that we enter places of business and add to/alter their displays to "help" RIM?

Also, the biggest issue with the PB is that retailers are "sleeping" them and otherwise making them inoperable?

I say we cut to the chase. I'll leave my paypal address, and we all should contribute to buy some air-time to show some home made commercials that extol the devices and help companies out. We can also do attack ads just like politicians do every election cycle.
    To help yourself indirectly by helping RIM. I don't understand why people have trouble grasping the simple concept that the better Playbooks sell, the more likely you are to get the apps and features you complain about...not rocket science. And the other concept that hurting RIM by whining and complaining only hurts yourself, assuming you like your PlayBook and wish it to improve to the level of your expectations.

The biggest issue is that people don't understand the swiping gestures that are unique to PlayBook - retailers are not intentionally "sleeping"them, they time out and often the demo does not start for a variety of reasons - in my Best Buy for example the demo video had been deleted, and re installing it isn't working - so it just goes to sleep and nobody knows how to wake it up. Or demo mode gets switched off...

Even if it is awake, people don't know how to operate it with bezel swipes.
    thanks for the (sarcastic) offer but the amateur videos are already on youtube...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-03-11 at 03:01 PM.
    08-03-11 02:59 PM
    Best Buy had Mall Security arrest me when I tried this today, they didn't think it was such a great idea to be messing with their stuff.
    08-03-11 03:01 PM

Yes, it was not the greatest metaphor ever... pardon me.... but you are mistaken. The Co-CEOs are not paid big bucks to make promises they can't deliver. They are there as the top decision makers and "face" of RIM. The "face" of any Corporation is first and foremost to make friends, to network with the other businesses, carriers, and to ensure that their name is not smeared. So yes, we are RIMs friend, as consumers. Use business partner if you prefer that term, whatever, my point stands. If you want RIM to improve (which if your crying, you do) then maybe you should act more professional and make a real difference to protect your investment. If you bought a PlayBook and want to see improvement, then you have invested in RIM to deliver a product. If you want to see $hit happen, then do something REAL. If it's worth arguing on the internet about (which wastes way too much time anyway) then it's worth spending time making a phone call or contacting people in your own network to see what they can do... but don't be sarcastic here and start crap... I make my living in systems advocacy and making positive political and social change happen (no I don't lobby for big corps). In fact, what I am trying to do with RIM is make it a fully accessible device for ALL people to benefit from, and to ensure that RIM is up-to-snuff with current US laws.

So please save your sarcasm, anti-RIM B.S. for the whiner forums and if your intersted in making a difference, then do so.

I'm not proof reading this b/c I don't have time.
    08-03-11 03:03 PM
    You're just angry because there isn't a scrabble app do I have that right?
    08-03-11 03:05 PM
    To help yourself indirectly by helping RIM. I don't understand why people have trouble grasping the simple concept that the better Playbooks sell, the more likely you are to get the apps and features you complain about...not rocket science. And the other concept that hurting RIM by whining and complaining only hurts yourself, assuming you like your PlayBook and wish it to improve to the level of your expectations.

The biggest issue is that people don't understand the swiping gestures that are unique to PlayBook - retailers are not intentionally "sleeping"them, they time out and often the demo does not start for a variety of reasons - in my Best Buy for example the demo video had been deleted and re installing it isn't working - so it just goes to sleep and nobody knows how to wake it up. Or demo mode gets switched off...

Even if it is awake, people don't know how to operate it with bezel swipes.
    thanks for the (sarcastic) offer but the amateur videos are already on youtube...
    You are actually serious.

So you truly feel the answer is to go in to every retailer and make visual aids to save the PB?

Wow. To think we could have used such innovative methods to save stuff like diaper thongs and the bicycle bungee.

I will never argue about the power of good marketing; I think your efforts are bet directed at the boys in Waterloo. Take one of your promotional charts there... for real.
    djdrastic likes this.
    08-03-11 03:06 PM
    Best Buy had Mall Security arrest me when I tried this today, they didn't think it was such a great idea to be messing with their stuff.
    But you were able to get them to buy one, right?
    08-03-11 03:07 PM
116 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD