UPDATE: Go sign the official petition, show your support! Please get the petition to 10,000!

https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...rade-to-bb10-2

I've made a thread similar to this before, but this is a more appropriate time.

As of today the playbook is officially discontinued, so why don't we ask BlackBerry if they can unlock our bootloader?
    What do we or they have to lose? The "awesome" security of the PlayBook? It's discontinued, BlackBerry couldn't care less about that.
    So why don't they give us the option to port BB10? No one will have to upgrade if they don't want to, or we could even port Android (which would actually be easier.)
    BB10 wouldn't be so hard because 10.2 has resolution support matching our PlayBooks.
    Or we could wait for another 7" BlackBerry tablet (Don't count on it) and then port BB10.

Just trying to give some possible ideas, anything is possible.
    Last edited by iblakejames; 06-29-13 at 10:23 AM.
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    06-28-13 11:35 PM
    I wouldn't mind LinuxMint on my PB
    06-28-13 11:40 PM
    I wouldn't mind LinuxMint on my PB
    Or ubuntu :3
    We would be able to do anything, maybe we could start some kind of petition
    06-28-13 11:42 PM
    If they do I'd be shocked. Wouldn't that compromise the phones too? There goes their one main stay, security.
    06-28-13 11:49 PM
    If they do I'd be shocked. Wouldn't that compromise the phones too? There goes their one main stay, security.
    What would this have to do with phones? I'm talking about the discontinued PlayBook tablet, i doubt that anyone cares about security at this point, just getting some operating system that has good app's and isn't discontinued is the top priority for 95 percent of all playbook owners.
    06-28-13 11:54 PM
    Might be possible, but extremely unlikey, playbooks been discontinued since at least Dec 2012. They won't bother unlocking anything as theres no reason to spend money on a product they don't make anymore.
    06-28-13 11:54 PM
    Might be possible, but extremely unlikey, playbooks been discontinued since at least Dec 2012. They won't bother unlocking anything as theres no reason to spend money on a product they don't make anymore.
    It wouldn't take long for them to write up a guide and give us a small piece of software that would help us unlock our bootloaders. That's the least they could do since they went back on their promise
    06-28-13 11:57 PM
    There honestly is.

As of today the playbook is officially discontinued, so why don't we ask BlackBerry if they can unlock our bootloader?
    What do we or they have to lose? The "awesome" security of the PlayBook? It's discontinued, BlackBerry couldn't care less about that.
    So why don't they give us the option to port BB10? No one will have to upgrade if they don't want to, or we could even port Android (which would actually be easier.)
    BB10 wouldn't be so hard because 10.2 has resolution support matching our PlayBooks.
    Or we could wait for another 7" BlackBerry tablet (Don't count on it) and then port BB10.

Blackberry never wanted their customers messing with their wares and putting it on whatever platform they chose. Blackberry is like a religion, they don't want scientology to be morphed into something else. The secret society will remain exactly as is, no future BB10 nor unlocked platform letting people enjoy their wonderful hardware.
    06-29-13 12:00 AM
    All they would have to do is wrote a signed bootloader for the tablet. I would love this. Very little work on their part. Would take the devs like three days tops I would think. Ubuntu on my tablet.... hmm. windows RT?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 12:03 AM
    Blackberry is like a religion
    You never know, they could break the promise of being a religion too
    06-29-13 12:03 AM
    Hell just give us the signing key for the PlayBook boot and XDA will do it.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 12:04 AM
    All they would have to do is wrote a signed bootloader for the tablet. I would love this. Very little work on their part. Would take the devs like three days tops I would think. Ubuntu on my tablet.... hmm. windows RT?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, its the least they can do
    06-29-13 12:05 AM
    Bootrom obviously can't be updated (even by RIM) in OS updates. All the Playbooks have the old one.

The bootrom is different on Playbook as compared to BB10 devices. It was updated for those devices.

Yes, I haven't managed to grab a copy of bootrom

- xsacha - Post 236

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ml#post8727908
    06-29-13 12:07 AM
    Hell just give us the signing key for the PlayBook boot and XDA will do it.

Posted via CB10
    The first rom would be done by next week if they released the signing key tomorrow, that's how quick developers are on XDA, that's why I went to android, to get any open operating system i want.
    antiRIM likes this.
    06-29-13 12:07 AM
    Bootrom obviously can't be updated (even by RIM) in OS updates. All the Playbooks have the old one.

The bootrom is different on Playbook as compared to BB10 devices. It was updated for those devices.

Yes, I haven't managed to grab a copy of bootrom

- xsacha - Post 236

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ml#post8727908
    Wouldn't unlocking the bootloader eliminate that problem?
    06-29-13 12:08 AM
    What would this have to do with phones? I'm talking about the discontinued PlayBook tablet, i doubt that anyone cares about security at this point, just getting some operating system that has good app's and isn't discontinued is the top priority for 95 percent of all playbook owners.
    I know you are. I thought were based on the same thing and the key to one would open up the key to the other. I don't know.
    06-29-13 12:10 AM
    Yes, but it would be cheaper for Blackberry to do nothing, support nothing. Blackberry is not a charitable organization.
    06-29-13 12:13 AM
    What I was trying to show kbz1960 that the bootrom is different from tablet to phone.
    06-29-13 12:13 AM
    It might be embarrassing to see another OS zipping along happily on the PlayBook after admitting that BB10 couldn't run on it.
    06-29-13 12:44 AM
    Easier thing to do is hope the 10.1 OS for PB leaks.
    It is a known fact that 10.1.0.331 was seen on the PB. Whether it is leaked is another problem
    I think that the PB is unable to run a full BB10 OS smoothly, but without some useless processes running, such as phone infrastructure, etc, it might work.
    The problem I forsee is BB being extremely cautious with this because giving us something small may lead to devs revealing something big that may lead to a root. For example, if they give us a tool to unlock the bootloader, we may also be able to unlock the BB10 bootloaders (it's been done before on other OS's)
    06-29-13 02:41 AM
    Easier thing to do is hope the 10.1 OS for PB leaks.
    It is a known fact that 10.1.0.331 was seen on the PB. Whether it is leaked is another problem
    I think that the PB is unable to run a full BB10 OS smoothly, but without some useless processes running, such as phone infrastructure, etc, it might work.
    The problem I forsee is BB being extremely cautious with this because giving us something small may lead to devs revealing something big that may lead to a root. For example, if they give us a tool to unlock the bootloader, we may also be able to unlock the BB10 bootloaders (it's been done before on other OS's)
    Y give a tool. Upload bootloader over ota.
    06-29-13 03:30 AM
    Definitely Ubuntu will be my preference.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 03:41 AM
    There honestly is.

Please sign this petition this is for blackberry to unlock bootloader for playbook https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...-of-our-liking
    06-29-13 05:59 AM
    Those barsterds over at Waterloo will never unlock the bootloader or release the signing key because they value the PB's security for the five or six clients they have As if the Department of Defense will buy a tablet with no support.

Anyway BBRY can take their security and stuff it up their stuffy backsides. The PB is an excellent example of why you shouldn't buy a locked device - you end up with a fancy paperweight when support is dropped because you never really owned the hardware.
    06-29-13 06:00 AM
    Those barsterds over at Waterloo will never unlock the bootloader or release the signing key because they value the PB's security for the five or six clients they have As if the Department of Defense will buy a tablet with no support.

Anyway BBRY can take their security and stuff it up their stuffy backsides. The PB is an excellent example of why you shouldn't buy a locked device - you end up with a fancy paperweight when support is dropped because you never really owned the hardware.
    https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...-of-our-liking
    please sign this petition...1 sign can make a difference..
    06-29-13 06:05 AM
28 12