Ok so I decided to take a photo of a monthly to bill to send to my landlord. Having my playbook handy I decided to use the camera purposely for the first time.... and was surprised.

THIS IS THE QUALITY?!!? (see test unedited attachment) Am I missing something here? Is there some sort of quality setting? If not, this is straight up unacceptable.(video is worse)
    pb image

5MP Rear camera!? I don't think so. My 1997 Fuji Film 2.0MP camera took better shots. I had to take the photo with my phone. I'd send the comparison iDevice photo, but it's 8MP. Yet, the 5MP on my previous phone was better.

I hate to rant like this, but with the news that RIM will not be adding AIR 3.2 with Stage 3D any time soon, my unreliable POP/IMAP email(incoming/outgoing) account connections, and now this camera issue.... love affair with my PB is dying.

The only bright spot was me receiving my wicked sleeve in the mail this weekend
    leather sleeve

....too bad that doesn't fix the technical issues I'm having.

I bought the device in Canada, and I'm in the Netherlands. I wonder if they'd send me a replacement if the camera is defective?
    Last edited by leedium; 04-10-12 at 03:01 PM.
    04-10-12 02:56 PM
    You need bright light or a flash for small chip cameras like in the PlayBook. The low light also made the PlayBook use a slow shutter speed, 1/15th, which would blur the picture unless the Playbook was supported with a tripod or equivalent.

Try the photo again, but outside in good light, it will look better.
    Last edited by robsteve; 04-10-12 at 03:12 PM.
    leedium likes this.
    04-10-12 03:08 PM
    Also, it does not necessarily do well with close up photography. Neither do rim's new 'high end' phones with fixed focus cameras.
    04-10-12 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD