I was showing a friend of mine the Playbook I bought at the Fire Sales a few weeks ago and they asked about watching a movie on Netflix. I proceeded to search App World thinking it would be a simple download...no luck...hmm...went directly to the Netflix web page...no luck there either. All he could do was laugh and i was too at that point because what a joke, Netflix doesn't work on Playbook tablet?! On my search even Skype is not supported!! What an oversight!!

No wonder these tablets were reduced to $100...even an Android knock off tablet from China supports Netflix and Skype...

This became a mission now...I tried sideloading the Netflix android app. No luck there...I then tried to root my Playbook to load on Android market but I can't find a way of loading the beta 2.0 O/S.

Has anyone found a way to watch Netflix on the Playbook? I should add...other than using Playon or Flix...

Thank you.

Posted from My Mobile App
    Saultnpepper likes this.
    10-14-12 03:18 PM
    Oh, not again...

Welcome to the forums and all, but do use the search function. All answers have already been given... Multiple times...

Is there really no way to watch Netflix on the Playbook?-picard-facepalm.jpg

It's either Flix or PlayOn.
    Last edited by diegonei; 10-14-12 at 07:01 PM.
    10-14-12 03:28 PM
    Yes...I read about Flix and Playon...I specifically asked if there was any other way to watch Netflix directly on the device.

Considering all the bugs with O/S 2.1 and the lack of decent apps for its devices...RIM and it's products are really going the way of the dinosaur...how much better can BB10 be than what Apple and Android already offer?

Oh well...too late to return the tablet to Walmart...better sell on Kijiji while it still has some value...

10-14-12 04:09 PM
    Besides, oh, no, not again - I THINK there's some 3rd party app that can stream netflix. But you can't get it in any app directly. I don't have it

FLIX in appworld

Others beat me to it - but I still managed to feed what I believe might be a troll.
    BB_Bmore, bungaboy and Toodeurep like this.
    10-14-12 04:12 PM
    Why is Netflix considered to be the holy grail of video watching on portable devices? Quite frankly I had the service last year on my laptop and thought it sucked, the movie selection may be plentiful but it really wasn't anything better than second rate in the title selections. Also the file sizes are abysmal for large screen viewing, with heavy pixelation even on my 32" secondary set. There are plenty of choices out there that provide better physical quality and fresher title choices. In my opinion Netflix is a complete waste of time and your friend's laughter should be directed at it rather than at the PlayBook for not having it.
    10-14-12 04:14 PM
    12 posts and he is already making doom and gloom predictions...

Go ahead and sell it. If doesn't work for you, might as well get rid of it.

It is funny. The more information get accessible, the less effort people put info research. Who's to blame then?...
    10-14-12 04:49 PM
    whats plex
    10-14-12 05:07 PM
    I was showing a friend of mine the Playbook I bought at the Fire Sales a few weeks ago and they asked about watching a movie on Netflix. I proceeded to search App World thinking it would be a simple download...no luck...hmm...went directly to the Netflix web page...no luck there either. All he could do was laugh and i was too at that point because what a joke, Netflix doesn't work on Playbook tablet?! On my search even Skype is not supported!! What an oversight!!

No wonder these tablets were reduced to $100...even an Android knock off tablet from China supports Netflix and Skype...

This became a mission now...I tried sideloading the Netflix android app. No luck there...I then tried to root my Playbook to load on Android market but I can't find a way of loading the beta 2.0 O/S.

Has anyone found a way to watch Netflix on the Playbook? I should add...other than using Playon or Flix...

Thank you.

I'll buy it for $50.00. Can I watch NetFlix on it?
    10-14-12 05:24 PM
    No "direct" Netflix yet.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-14-12 05:25 PM
    Geez...I did do my research...at the end of my first post I said BESIDES PlayOn and Flix... I guess I will have to make it more clear next time..

It's not just Netflix its the other apps like Skype that I realized are not even supported...

I'll consider $50 (all its worth really)

10-14-12 06:21 PM
    I'll give you $40 if you watch movies on netflix this will seem like a better deal than $50.
    peter9477 and TRlPPlN like this.
    10-14-12 06:29 PM
    I'll buy it from you if you give me free shipping to Brasil. $55 (auction mode is on!).

And if you didn't know about NetFlix/Skype not being in the platform late in the game as it is, no YOU DID NOT DO your research.

So, excuse us for the reaction, but when recently created accounts come and ask the same old bashing questions and then leave the same old bashing comments, we get cranky.
    esk369, bungaboy and Cracklen like this.
    10-14-12 06:36 PM
    I'll give you 50 quatloos.......
    diegonei and anon3969612 like this.
    10-14-12 06:37 PM
    whats plex
    Plex - A Complete Media Solution

Ive been a plex user for a number of years, and its the best media management / streaming app out there in my opinion. I have used net fix with plex in the past, but personally after the first month or so netfix kind of wore off..... not much for new content i wanted to watch, so i cancelled my netfix acct...... not sure how well their netfix plugin works nowadays.... but im sure it excellent!! their side loaded android app works excellent on the playbook!! it pretty much completed my playbook experience not its time!!
    10-14-12 06:44 PM
    Maybe you should've did some research before purchasing the playbook if Netflix and Skype are so important to you. I have playon so I can watch Netflix, and I have Skype sideloaded. You purchased the playbook for next to nothing you can't even buy a good e reader for that price. Maybe with the savings from your purchase you can buy a lifetime playon. Subscription when it's on sale.
    10-14-12 06:46 PM
    It's actually pretty easy. Follow these simple steps.

1. Find a friend with Netflix.
    1b. Not the friend mentioned in your post.
    2. Buy them a Playbook.
    3. Have them set up the Playbook in front of their TV.
    4. Start a video chat.
    5. Ask them to turn their Netflix onto the movie or show you want to watch.

For a total of $200 expended, you've got two tablets, a really good friend, and Netflix! And as an added bonus, free video chat with your new best friend. ^_^
    10-14-12 06:58 PM
    Geez...I did do my research...at the end of my first post I said BESIDES PlayOn and Flix... I guess I will have to make it more clear next time..

It's not just Netflix its the other apps like Skype that I realized are not even supported...

I'll consider $50 (all its worth really)

They are both supported by the hardware.
    Have you contacted Netflix and Skype to inquire why they don't support the Playbook?
    Nah, didn't think so.
    Dugganm and diegonei like this.
    10-14-12 07:11 PM
    Why is Netflix considered to be the holy grail of video watching on portable devices? Quite frankly I had the service last year on my laptop and thought it sucked, the movie selection may be plentiful but it really wasn't anything better than second rate in the title selections. Also the file sizes are abysmal for large screen viewing, with heavy pixelation even on my 32" secondary set. There are plenty of choices out there that provide better physical quality and fresher title choices. In my opinion Netflix is a complete waste of time and your friend's laughter should be directed at it rather than at the PlayBook for not having it.
    Have had Netflix for over 2 yrs and while I will agree that the selection is plentiful but second rate, I have to disagree with everything else. I have a 46' 40' & 32' with 10Mb Internet and the PQ is excellent with no pixelation. My guess is you having that problem with what ever medium you are using. People should stop asking what's so good about Netflix and get the GD app already.
    10-14-12 07:35 PM
    I get a Netflix DVD, rip it to a MP4 file and watch it on my Playbook.
    Xader and Jonesy1966 like this.
    10-14-12 08:11 PM
    Really, never mind.
    10-14-12 08:33 PM

Thank you.

You could sell it and buy one of those cheap Chinese tablets Diego said he will take it off your hands for you.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-14-12 08:34 PM
    Am i the only person using Splahtop for watching Netflix? Remote desktop your PC and run Netflix through whatever browser you want. Simple and easy.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    10-14-12 10:13 PM
    Yes, this subject has been beaten to death, dug up, and beaten even more. How someone could miss it and be surprised is beyond me.
    10-15-12 12:00 AM
    BTW, for those who continue to hope for the mythical Netflix app for the PlayBook, the Netflix Windows 8 app was released a couple days ago, two weeks in advance of the OS launch. It is actually remarkably good - in fact, vastly superior to the Netflix Android app....
    10-15-12 12:03 AM
    "....Content: Because of licensing issues, Netflix offers far less content in Canada
    than it does in the U.S. According to InstantWatcher, a Website set up to help
    Netfl ix users browse the library and queue content, there are only about 1,300
    streaming titles available from Netfl ix in Canada, about 450 in HD, compared to
    over 14,000 titles, 3,300 in HD, in the U.S.
    For consumers accustomed to renting virtually any movie on DVD as soon as
    it�s released, the selection will disappoint. Many mainstream titles never make it to
    Netfl ix, and never right away, especially in Canada. The library is top-heavy with B
    movies, straight-to-DVD titles and older fare...." excerpt Here's How Voll11 No.1 here's how - consumer electronics made easy!: hereshow.ca

$8/ mo yeeech !!

I'll keep the money in my pocket for other things and continue to enjoy the DVD rental collection at the neighbourhood IDA drugs plus tues. free 'rental' imho.
    10-15-12 12:12 AM
89 123 ...