I have a CD changer in my trunk I don't need that is hooked into my car audio system. There is no way to connect auxiliary devices or usb devices. Also, the audio is fed through a mid-2000s computer system that I want to avoid tampering with.

My goal is to take out the disc changer and connect a playbook that would remain in the trunk and replace the disc changer in the computer system. The PB could download new material via bluetooth from my Z10 inside the cabin, although I would need to monitor my data usage.

One challenge to this approach is controlling the PB remotely from inside the car while it rides in the trunk. I know you can easily use your os10 phone as a remote, but this is while seeing the screen. I would need to somehow display the PB screen inside the cabin near the dash in order to control what I am playing.

Idea: use the hdmi out jack and run a line to a small hdmi display mounted on the dash. Then I could use my Z10 to control the PB using the remote control function while watching the small display. I wonder if the audio can be sent out via headphone jack while the video goes out separately via hdmi.

Would that android app "luko" or whatever help? I use it on my home theater pc.

Any ideas? If I had to buy 2 PBs I would do it.
    Last edited by markmall; 10-13-13 at 09:25 PM.
    10-13-13 09:09 PM
    I might have figured out the answer to my question. I should just run an auxiliary cable to the PB I will be using all the way from the trunk to the dash. At a minimum I will need to run an hdmi display cable so that I can see what the PB is displaying. Why not skip the extra steps and have the player PB right at my fingertips?

If there were some way to control the PB remotely without running any cables that would be great, but using the bridge software you only get to control the PB -- you don't get any image.
    10-13-13 09:23 PM
    Using bridge remote while driving sounds dangerous.
    I use an adapter that connects to the the CD changer plug and provides aux input. I know they make them for VW/Audi. My changer is in the glove box but with longer cables you could connect to the CD changer plug in the trunk and have the PB in the cabin.
    10-14-13 06:16 AM
    Thanks. This must be the best way. The PlayBook is just the right size to be the interface as well as the player.

The hardest part might be adapting the cd changer connection to an auxiliary input as you had to do. Not sure how it is connected.
    10-14-13 07:16 AM
    I don't know if I would do this due to the temperature extremes in the trunk. PB is not built for this while car audio is.
    10-14-13 07:33 AM
    ...another thing that you can so, if you wanted to go a little more custom...is there have the entire PlayBook mounted in your dash...make, or have a custom fiberglass insert that will line up with your existing bezel if there is room. There are also several mounts if you don't want to tear into your dash...check around You Tube for examples of tablets made to fit into dashes
    10-14-13 10:40 PM
    I might have figured out the answer to my question. I should just run an auxiliary cable to the PB I will be using all the way from the trunk to the dash. At a minimum I will need to run an hdmi display cable so that I can see what the PB is displaying. Why not skip the extra steps and have the player PB right at my fingertips?

If there were some way to control the PB remotely without running any cables that would be great, but using the bridge software you only get to control the PB -- you don't get any image.
    can you have the bridge remote in one tile while the mirrored pb screen is in another???
    10-14-13 11:23 PM
    Thanks. This must be the best way. The PlayBook is just the right size to be the interface as well as the player.

The hardest part might be adapting the cd changer connection to an auxiliary input as you had to do. Not sure how it is connected.
    if you can think of 2 devices that you want to intregrate, amazon has an adapter that'll work,,, there's literally 1000's on there...
    10-14-13 11:25 PM
    Does this help?

USB and Android Car Kits | iPod, iPhone, AUX Car Adapters | Bluetooth Hands Free Car Adapters | Bluetooth Car Kits

You may be able to install the device where the CD changer is in the trunk and have the PB mounted near the front, connected via Bluetooth to the car's audio system.
    10-15-13 12:20 AM
    mf1982, this might be the type of adapter I am thinking of but it doesn't look like it is compatible with my make of car. Do you know how those connect into a car's audio system?
    10-15-13 02:27 AM
    ...another thing that you can so, if you wanted to go a little more custom...is there have the entire PlayBook mounted in your dash...make, or have a custom fiberglass insert that will line up with your existing bezel if there is room. There are also several mounts if you don't want to tear into your dash...check around You Tube for examples of tablets made to fit into dashes
    This is too hardcore for what I want. I would be happy with a suction cup type mount if I could get an auxiliary line into the system. Thanks.
    10-15-13 02:29 AM
    if you can think of 2 devices that you want to intregrate, amazon has an adapter that'll work,,, there's literally 1000's on there...
    Interesting. You mean like displaying one PB's contents onto the screen of another one? Really?
    10-15-13 02:30 AM
    can you have the bridge remote in one tile while the mirrored pb screen is in another???
    Not that I'm aware of.
    10-15-13 02:31 AM
    To be honest I've just looked at it as an option to play music through Bluetooth from my phone. I don't actually own one.

I'm sure that you could email support and ask them. They should be able to help you.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 07:40 AM