wonder if there are any turn by turn gps navigation for PB. can anyone recomend any? there are some at app store, but im not sure which one really works? I have bold 9930 that I can bridge to use the internet. but need to know what app. please help. thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-01-12 11:55 PM
    Do a search. There are a number of threads on this.
    06-02-12 12:01 AM
    I do not know of any at this time unfortunately. i use blackberry traffic on mt 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-02-12 12:03 AM
    "GPS Maps From Google" would great if they fixed the damn glitch that shows a text window every time you touched the screen. TOTAL WASTE OF $5. DO NOT BUY
    06-02-12 12:15 AM
    You can check out Magellan Compass, the app is not perfect, but the developer is actively keeping in touch with users in this forum. Do a search of Magellan Compass in this forum, you should be able to locate the thread.

HTH.
    06-02-12 12:26 AM
    There are two apps that have turn by turn and offline navigation, Osmand and Magellan. I started to use both and so far I like Magellan better.
    Last edited by surferito; 06-02-12 at 12:35 AM.
    06-02-12 12:31 AM
    if you signed up for the telmap user beta for your phone, you can use the same activation code on your playbook. if you need the .bar to sideload, i can post that (it's a free beta, dont hate). it will NOT work without the activation code though. works way better than magellan in my opinion. i think it's wicked.
    Berrimad likes this.
    06-02-12 12:44 AM
    If your considering Magellan Compass have a good look at this thread first, as for my experience I thought they had a very nice app in v2, v3 has gone in a completely nonsensical direction, need to download tiles at different zoom levels, very frustrating and time consuming, the developer is working very hard to address issues, doesn't make sense to me why they didn't team up with Garmin or similar with proven truly off line maps that allowed for downloading of Province, State, Country, to me that would have been worth $40 or $50 dollars, just doesn't make scene to reinvent the wheel, especially when the wheel your inventing has 8 sides ???
    I gave up on it 2 weeks ago, hoping for improvement in next update.
    I must say though the developer is working hard on this, I can't say as of recently but they where active in this thread trying to address problems that people where having.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...leased-721909/
    06-02-12 07:17 AM
    if you signed up for the telmap user beta for your phone, you can use the same activation code on your playbook. if you need the .bar to sideload, i can post that (it's a free beta, dont hate). it will NOT work without the activation code though. works way better than magellan in my opinion. i think it's wicked.
    That sounds interesting.
    06-02-12 09:10 AM
    Blackberry Traffic on my 9930 is all I need...
    Flawless besides the fact it doesn't show a map...
    06-02-12 09:21 AM
    There is another app which is rarely mentioned called Navigator which has offline maps and turn-by-turn navigation. It's an Android application and I've had it freeze up a couple of times (which is a drag) but it's been very steady since I stopped using the pinch-zoom and instead use the icons on the screen for zooming in and out. Panning works fine. I've been less than thrilled about some of the routes it's chosen but it adapts on the fly. It's certainly great being able to store the maps on the device since I'm unable to bridge or tether to my phone.
    06-02-12 02:48 PM
    If your considering Magellan Compass
    I've used it on several trips, not perfect, but it you fly and drive, it beats hauling another device. When used with internet connection it works great. If you use it off-line without bridge or tether, it takes some planning of trips as creating new routes or re-routing needs the Internet, but routes can be followed with Turn by Turn voice Navigation without Internet. (note: voice guidance does not give street name, but it is visible on display with the Turn by Turn) Developer has stated V3.1, which improves the caching, is due for release any day now.

I recommend it especially if you have an unlimited data plan. Even if you don't have unlimited data, the cache can be used to reduce data usage, and the turn by turn displayed guidance and voice Navigation get you where you want to go even in the cache only mode.

It's not as easy to use as a normal gps, but at 1/10th the price its a good value.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    06-02-12 05:31 PM
    If your considering Magellan Compass have a good look at this thread first, as for my experience I thought they had a very nice app in v2, v3 has gone in a completely nonsensical direction, need to download tiles at different zoom levels, very frustrating and time consuming, the developer is working very hard to address issues, doesn't make sense to me why they didn't team up with Garmin or similar with proven truly off line maps that allowed for downloading of Province, State, Country, to me that would have been worth $40 or $50 dollars, just doesn't make scene to reinvent the wheel, especially when the wheel your inventing has 8 sides ???
    I gave up on it 2 weeks ago, hoping for improvement in next update.
    I must say though the developer is working hard on this, I can't say as of recently but they where active in this thread trying to address problems that people where having.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...leased-721909/
    Agree fully - getting the app to work with offline files is a frustrating process to say the least , not worth the hassle . We'll see what v3.1 will bring ( not holding my breath)

OsmAnd is free and works great .
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    06-02-12 05:37 PM
    wonder if there are any turn by turn gps navigation for PB. can anyone recomend any? there are some at app store, but im not sure which one really works? I have bold 9930 that I can bridge to use the internet. but need to know what app. please help. thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    It read in one of the sources from RIM that the had formed an agreement with TomTom to provide all the GPS map and navigation for I assumed all Rim products. Don't know when we will see that though.
    06-02-12 06:45 PM
    OsmAnd is free and works great .
    Wow, this program looks great. How did I miss it?

You can download all the maps by a province/state, etc. Just what I wanted Magellan to do.

You are limited to downloading 8 regions in this free version though. And I can't seem to find the paid version. I have 64 GBs to fill up with maps, and would gladly pay for the full version. Anyone know when it is coming?

Edit: Or is that just the map POI data I am downloading, and not the tiles for offline mapping?
    Last edited by mcmolineux; 06-02-12 at 07:19 PM.
    06-02-12 07:07 PM
    I Live In The Caribbean (Trinidad & Tobago).... Is There A Turn-By-Turn GPS App For My Country?....
    06-02-12 07:10 PM
    I Live In The Caribbean (Trinidad & Tobago).... Is There A Turn-By-Turn GPS App For My Country?....
    Try Osmand. It looks like they have maps for many countries.
    06-02-12 07:49 PM
    Wow, this program looks great. How did I miss it?

You can download all the maps by a province/state, etc. Just what I wanted Magellan to do.

You are limited to downloading 8 regions in this free version though. And I can't seem to find the paid version. I have 64 GBs to fill up with maps, and would gladly pay for the full version. Anyone know when it is coming?

Edit: Or is that just the map POI data I am downloading, and not the tiles for offline mapping?
    Something I discovered is that OsmAnd found and uses the maps I downloaded with Mapdroyd, open street maps, download as much as you want.
    Mapdroyd is very nice app, it works flawlessly for me, it's not a turn by turn GPS but if you want to know where you are in relationship to streets around you it's great.
    I think it's in the app store, or here is one that I replaced the icon set with one I liked better.
    I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I had Mapdroyd installed first.
    Last edited by Mr_Bunny; 06-04-12 at 01:03 PM.
    06-03-12 08:10 AM
    I have a biz trip planned for T&T early June so I downloaded some maps via Magellan and also the unliked Maps Download for Playbook (forget the developer name or official title of the app) that had a separate T&T map. The latter uses Open Street Maps and Magellan uses google I think. Both give enough resolution to name street # of the hotel and one of them even tagged it when entered, Magellan I think. How well it works in real time I'll find out when I get there.
    06-03-12 11:23 AM
    I am using Navigator, it is better in term of offline maps and stable. I gave up my old TomTom.
    06-04-12 10:40 PM
    Magellan Compass v3.1 does have the ability to download (update and delete) by region and is pretty fast. App World made a change that makes it impossible to update the app. RIM is working (or un-working) the issue so we can update the product. We will let everyone know on this and other forums when it is available. Lot's of goodies in v3.1.
    06-05-12 06:49 AM
    Magellan Compass v3.1 does have the ability to download (update and delete) by region and is pretty fast. App World made a change that makes it impossible to update the app. RIM is working (or un-working) the issue so we can update the product. We will let everyone know on this and other forums when it is available. Lot's of goodies in v3.1.
    This is great news. So I can download all of the tiles for all levels for a state/province all at once and store them on the device for offline use?

If I don't have any other version of Compass on my Playbook and I go to download it now will I get 3.1? Or would this update bug affect me as well?
    06-05-12 08:44 AM
    Yes, you will be able to download all the times for a state/region/province and a specified min and max level. You are limited to the amount of space you designate to hold map data (up to 10GB). Map data takes a lot of room. Caching all of California at all levels is probably not possible to fit (but we have not tried either). For example, all of NYC (mostly Manhattan) takes about 300MB from levels 12 (city) to 17 (street).

v3.1 is a free upgrade.

We're not certain how RIM is going to fix the bug they introduced that prevents apps from being updated that are "try and buy". It "should" not impact current users. If it does, a whole lot of people are going to be upset.
    smweb likes this.
    06-05-12 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD