Hey. I have a PlayBook and need to know if there is a way to control it with my phone without being able to see the PlayBook screen. It has been relegated to playing movies for the kids mounted to the headrest in my car.

Problem is, I don't want to crawl into the backseat to change to movie. Is there a vnc server type app for PlayBook? Not a vnc viewer. Or if I do a phone bridge are there some hot keys or something I can do to play movies without seeing what im doing?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 08:33 PM
    I'd actually be interested in an app like this. I would be using it for music, controlling a PlayBook connected to a stereo system. I hope someone has some good ideas!
    01-14-14 08:53 PM
    When bridged I can play music to my Playbook, it's a little slow but works. From my bb10 I go to share, then open on, then Playbook. Works for pics as well. Bluetooth connection.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 09:43 PM
    When bridged I can play music to my Playbook, it's a little slow but works. From my bb10 I go to share, then open on, then Playbook. Works for pics as well. Bluetooth connection.

Posted via CB10
    This isn't what I was asking. But thanks for contributing. Again I want to:
    1. be able to connect to the PlayBook and launch applications like the video player
    2. View the PlayBook screen and control it as if I had remote desktop capability.
    Or
    3. Be able to control what video is playing.

I'm thinking there might be a video player that listens to network requests to remote control it. Then I just have to connect the PlayBook and my phone in a hot spot and just send it network signals.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:09 AM
    i think you might be stuck here,,, i'm not aware of any app that lets you view the pb screen on your bridged phone to control it,,, the only thing i can think of would be to somehow rig something w/ the hdmi out to the front seat to see what you're doing via bridge, but may be more effort than it's worth...
    01-15-14 12:15 PM
    Seems like you use to be able to control the PB at least in Presentation mode remotely ffrom a phone. Didn't they have an ad where a lady riding in a taxi was remotely able to control a PB. in a Presentation setting? This would have been over the internet.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    01-15-14 02:30 PM
    Do yourself a favor, and maybe save your kids' lives, and don't try to remote control your Playbook while driving. What you can do, however, that may help, is to sideload mVideo Player on your Playbook. mVideo Player allows you to create video playlists, so you can create a playlist at home, and then when leaving on your trip your could start the playlist and then just let the videos run.
    dazzleaj, mh1983 and jpash549 like this.
    01-15-14 08:09 PM
    Do yourself a favor, and maybe save your kids' lives, and don't try to remote control your Playbook while driving. What you can do, however, that may help, is to sideload mVideo Player on your Playbook. mVideo Player allows you to create video playlists, so you can create a playlist at home, and then when leaving on your trip your could start the playlist and then just let the videos run.
    Good advice Pacoman and good suggestion about not using the PB when you are driving. This is getting to be a problem with some of the new car display systems. The person in the passenger seat should be responsible for this operation or the adjustment should be made at an off the road stop.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    01-15-14 10:37 PM
    Good advice Pacoman and good suggestion about not using the PB when you are driving. This is getting to be a problem with some of the new car display systems. The person in the passenger seat should be responsible for this operation or the adjustment should be made at an off the road stop.
    I agree, well done!
    01-16-14 01:01 AM
    Good advice. But nowhere did I say I was the one driving the car who needs to control the PlayBook while driving. This problem was raised because my pregnant wife cannot reach into the backseat from the passenger side.

Let's try not to redirect the conversation away from OP intended discussion.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 04:14 AM
    Good advice. But nowhere did I say I was the one driving the car who needs to control the PlayBook while driving. This problem was raised because my pregnant wife cannot reach into the backseat from the passenger side.

Let's try not to redirect the conversation away from OP intended discussion.

Posted via CB10
    Glad to hear that you agree with the safety aspects raised and best wishes to you and your wife and present and future offsprings.

Still strongly feel that safety points offered by Pacoman are quite relevant and not a redirection of the discussion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    01-16-14 12:39 PM
    #1 and #3 may be possible. Leaning more towards #3. I do not believe it is going to be possible to have a VNC server type app for the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 04:27 PM
    You've probably considered teaching the kid to change a movie?

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    01-17-14 11:23 AM
    You've probably considered teaching the kid to change a movie?

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    Can you tell me what you have been able to teach your two year old to do? I'd like to compare notes.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 06:23 PM
    Can you tell me what you have been able to teach your two year old to do? I'd like to compare notes.

Posted via CB10
    Heehee :P
    01-17-14 08:17 PM
    Attachment 239531

Ohw, maybe that's the wrong tablet instruction...
    01-18-14 12:44 AM
    oh, boy - just got a new car and I'm really not so sure about its ergonomics and safety. I think knobs or slide levers that adjusted heat and fan and output-location were much easier to use while driving then a small lcd screen and up and down buttons and mode buttons that adjust fan and output. I mean, really, I have to try staring at that smaller lcd (not the nav/radio larger screen - also a distraction) screen to see if it is blowing air on my feet or defrost or vent????

And the nav screen - even if you allow a passenger to use it - it is centered and as it flashes for passenger searches, etc, it is distracting. And it can also read email!!!! Another distraction. Whereas my standalone tomtom, when I navigate, does not really disturb or show in the drivers field of view.

See, I am easily distracted and this can happen behind the wheel (but the next car won't have a wheel!)
    01-18-14 01:57 PM
    Hi,

Im bringing up this thread to see if anyone has ever accomplished this?

Thanks
    01-17-17 05:03 PM