I looked in App World, but it isn't clear to me that there is an app which would turn my PB into a map/GPS -- without an internet connection.

Advice?
    07-12-13 08:34 AM
    OsmAnd works for me. There are a lot of settings and it takes some figuring them out time.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-12-13 08:44 AM
    And Maggellan. You can download the maps to the cache (takes a while...) and then you should be good. Works for me. I mount my PB on my dash of my Ridgeline and it works great. You will have to get a car charger for use while motoring, it will burn through some battery juice as you use it in that situation. It does take a while to get the hang of the GUI and settings tho......

C
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 07-12-13 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    07-12-13 09:17 AM
    OsmAnd works for me. There are a lot of settings and it takes some figuring them out time.
    I agree with Toodeurep - OsmAnd (and Navigator) both work, but they can be confusing. But if you know how to sideload, go to goodereader and install Google Maps. I recently tested it and it worked perfectly fine, with turn-by-turn voice navigation. I also found that by first downloading GPS Test, which quickly locks in your GPS location, Google Maps will then quickly "lock-in" on your location. I also just noticed that there is a Google Maps app in BB World, but I don't know if that includes voice navigation.

One caution - in my experience, because the GPS in the Wi-Fi only PlayBook is not tied to cell locations, it can be difficult to either get or hold the GPS signal, and definitely needs a clear view of the open sky. I'm not sure I'd depend on it without a downloaded version of your route.
    07-12-13 09:30 AM
    tagging to follow
    07-12-13 09:42 AM
    Thanks.

I want to use it in my boat, which has a clear view to the sky so that shouldn't be a problem. I assume I can get a dc cigar adapter thingie somewhere.

I have NO clue what sideload means, though... can someone explain? When you say goodereader, do I do this right on the PB or is it something I need to sync with my PC?
    07-12-13 09:45 AM
    Thanks.

I want to use it in my boat, which has a clear view to the sky so that shouldn't be a problem. I assume I can get a dc cigar adapter thingie somewhere.

I have NO clue what sideload means, though... can someone explain? When you say goodereader, do I do this right on the PB or is it something I need to sync with my PC?
    You may be able to find some info in the following thread. It's old so there may be better information elsewhere.

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...-my-pb-663784/

Edit: Also found the following GoodReader link with Apps for Playbook including Google Maps

Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps :: Android APP Store – Blackberry Playbook & Z10 and Q10 Apps
    07-12-13 09:56 AM
    I thought i had a winning situation when i converted and sideloaded Telenav but sadly it just kept force closing.
    07-12-13 10:00 AM
    You guys should right Mireo dev and see if he will port the Mireo Don't Panic app from the Z10 to the PlayBook. Nice app, no data required. I doubt anyone would port anything to PlayBook now that BlackBerry punted the device, but it is worth a shot.
    07-12-13 10:02 AM
    Magellan Compass is one of the best I've used for the PlayBook - it was about $5 when I bought it. And Compass will allow you to download maps and cache them ahead of time... which could be important on a boat if you are going to be out of range of the data signal from the cell towers.

That said, I've never been happy with the results with the GPS on the PlayBook. If GPS is really important for you, I'd use another device. If you are just "playing" with it then go ahead. Of course my other concern would be what type of boat are you going on and what are the chances that it might get wet???
    07-12-13 10:06 AM
    That said, I've never been happy with the results with the GPS on the PlayBook. If GPS is really important for you, I'd use another device.
    Yes agreed. Even after sidloading Google Navigation and although it does work, once I start driving, it will drop the GPS lock. Even tethered to my BB. Not bridge, but tethered. So its not an issue with the data connection, its that the GPS itself is unreliable.

Edit: I should also add that I have 2 PBs and the results are the same on both
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-12-13 at 10:28 AM. Reason: More.
    Autophile likes this.
    07-12-13 10:27 AM
    There is also NOGAGO - offline maps.
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-12-13 02:00 PM
    To be fair, I have had some sub par experiences with OsmAnd but it has also been fantastic during long trips. If free is your preference and side-loading isn't your thing, give it a try.
    07-12-13 07:21 PM
    i can port openstreet maps to playbook. is it okay? its GPL, so its FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE but also no WARANTEE and no GUARANTEE. and you must enable NMEA else it will be hard to sync with the birds in the sky.
    thanks!
    -paul
    p.s. i will have the footprint of the birds described here later! i can also port the navit and gpsdrive, you can use it for navigation and also for day to day live and even in the sea. :-) thanks!
    Gearheadaddy and Herve5 like this.
    07-12-13 07:59 PM
    maverick ist better than osmand

07-14-13 01:58 AM
    Following...

Posted via CB10 & my Z10
    07-14-13 05:40 AM
    I have been owning Magellan for a couple of years, various upgrades, and am sorry to say it just never was useable offline for guiding. I may be stupid, but everything I tried to cache a map set before starting a trip pathetically failed, and within the first minutes of the trip. Each time there is an update I do it, spend hours cleaning the map caches and redowloading the new ones… and it fails. Take next street instead of the one they say and expect a recalc: fails. Change scale (this while you intentionally cached many different scales before leaving): find yourself located in some vacuum. Try to come back to previous scale: vacuum stays.
    Honestly, if they propose a test run before buying, do try it before paying.
    Indeed it looks like a very good tool -but for 'online' guidance only. Which is sad, because this company defiitely looks like a small independent one, and geared to use OSM : close to the ideal for me...
    07-16-13 07:27 AM
    Thanks.

If you want to use it in your boat, you need charts not maps.

There is an app on BB world called Nautical Charts that includes charts for various parts of the world. The app works well, but has one drawback that most gps mapping software on the PB also have - The PB goes to sleep after 5 minutes. Only way to get it to stay alive, is to have another app that will stay alive, like Battery Guru, visible at same time as the charting app. This means going back and forth between full screen and minimized every 4 min or so so as to avoid PB going to sleep. Not much of an option.

If any of the other mapping apps mentioned (osmand, navigator, magellan) don't hibernate and are able to load and store marine charts, please let me know.
    07-16-13 08:32 AM
    pulling out from maps and dlna, and going to most important project remove bootrom which is encrypted from playbook. and install another OS which community can support. sorry. i had to pull off like this.
    :-)
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-16-13 05:21 PM
    If any of the other mapping apps mentioned (osmand, navigator, magellan) don't hibernate and are able to load and store marine charts, please let me know.
    I use Magellan often. The screen times out but the GPS stays active unlike some Android ports. I can't coment on the marine charts.
    07-16-13 08:13 PM