I'm interested in the 32G Playbook. I'll use it for "office spreadsheets', Word, maybe GPS in the car, reading books, travel substitute for carrying my laptop, internet banking etc...
    I don't HAVE to have one now and money isn't an issue.
    My question is, other than the 3G/4G connect, which can be bridged through my 9930 is there any new hardware change on the near horizon coming that I should wait for???

Thanks

Mark
    09-07-11 09:39 AM
    By office spreadsheets are you creating or just filling out info? Basicly only thinks that work through bridge is the bridge browser (provided not with AT&T), contacts, calendar, memopad, tasks, & bbm. GPS would not work through the bridge. Dont think theirs any hardware changes on the near horizon that would effect bridge unless they come out with a 3G or 4G playbook.

Right nows a good time to buy. At Best Buy you can get a 64G for same price as 32G so would op for that right now. Not sure how long its goes.
    Last edited by jjjahn; 09-07-11 at 09:58 AM.
    09-07-11 09:55 AM
    Thank You..
    I use Google Docs so I can do changes online. I suppose that should work.

Mark
    09-07-11 10:01 AM
    The only real thing we're waiting for will come as software updates and apps. The 3g/4g versions have been put on hold for now, no plans have recently as of yet been uncovered about updates to the hardware.
    09-07-11 10:04 AM
    If your Word/Excel documents usage is heavy, you might want to test the bundled apps before spending your money. They are very lightweight viewers/editors, and not very powerful. Certainly not a substitute for what you can do on a laptop.
    09-07-11 10:08 AM
    Basicly only thinks that work through bridge is the bridge browser (provided not with AT&T), contacts, calendar, memopad, tasks, & bbm. GPS would not work through the bridge.
    Do you own playbook? If so please update it, ALL applications work through bridge (if you are on ATT you need to download bridge through ota link) except app world and video calling. GPS works fine through bridge as well, used it with Magellan compass and it worked fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    LewLew23 likes this.
    09-07-11 11:40 AM
    Do you own playbook? If so please update it, ALL applications work through bridge (if you are on ATT you need to download bridge through ota link) except app world and video calling. GPS works fine through bridge as well, used it with Magellan compass and it worked fine.

Take it easy man U know that there are lots of member in the PB Forum who don't even or ever had a PlayBook. And still we welcome them all

To the OP, I believe u should look for better price options if u want to buy PB in a near future. I meant, try to get a PB with lower price. So it won't hurt u so much like most of early adopters. Some of my friends even just got the 1st gen iPad because of the price, and they don't need the camera, just for apps.
    RIM isn't like Apple, they tend to have their future devices leaked easily or announced them beforehand. So it will give u some time.
    Again, try to get lower price than $599 for a 32Gb PB.
    09-07-11 01:33 PM
    Take it easy man U know that there are lots of member in the PB Forum who don't even or ever had a PlayBook. And still we welcome them all
    Whoops, it is not suppose to be harsh/angry comment.

I was surprised that someone would still post this, after all the attention this gets on the forums (for good reasons, love it).

I assumed he owns playbook, which is why I ask him to update his OS to see what he is missing. since the older OS versions did not have the functionality. If he is not a playbook user, then he should be a little more careful (like saying I don't own playbook but afaik it does...).

Everybody is welcome, however this is relaying wrong information to potential buyer (not just the OP but thousands other that lurk these forums).
    togardergrosse and LewLew23 like this.
    09-07-11 01:47 PM
    Again, try to get lower price than $599 for a 32Gb PB.
    Just went to Best Buy and they were full price (even though they didn't have any in stock). So I just bought one from Amazon for $525.

Thanks Everyone, I figured this would be the place to let me know if I'm buying a product that is being replaced soon....

Mark
    09-07-11 02:14 PM

I am up-to-date on my playbook just missed that change so thanks for enlightening me.
    09-07-11 03:55 PM
    Just went to Best Buy and they were full price (even though they didn't have any in stock). So I just bought one from Amazon for $525.

Thanks Everyone, I figured this would be the place to let me know if I'm buying a product that is being replaced soon....

Mark
    Since it appears you have a BB, then check out the $100 "gift" card offer by RIM itself for BB phone owners.
    09-07-11 04:49 PM
    By office spreadsheets are you creating or just filling out info? Basicly only thinks that work through bridge is the bridge browser (provided not with AT&T), contacts, calendar, memopad, tasks, & bbm. GPS would not work through the bridge. Dont think theirs any hardware changes on the near horizon that would effect bridge unless they come out with a 3G or 4G playbook.

Right nows a good time to buy. At Best Buy you can get a 64G for same price as 32G so would op for that right now. Not sure how long its goes.
    I'm with AT&T and my bridge browser works just fine. Used it on a camping trip this past weekend and it worked flawlessly. The cabins we rented supposedly had free wi-fi, but the signal was so weak as to be a joke, so I fired up Bridge Browser and all was good. A little slow, but good.
    09-07-11 04:54 PM
    Since it appears you have a BB, then check out the $100 "gift" card offer by RIM itself for BB phone owners.
    Thanks....
    Looks like I qualify!!!
    09-07-11 06:25 PM
    welcome aboard then!
    09-07-11 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD