Hard or soft reboot, as I don't know the difference.
    04-01-13 11:01 PM
    Rebooting will probably free up about 100 MB of memory- try it.
    04-01-13 11:09 PM
    A hard reboot is when all power is removed from a device which shuts off a system instantly and force resets any configuration that is running in the background.
    A soft reboot is when you shut off the system properly to reset a system. It doesn't jolt the system to force close anything. But a soft reboot is good to restart all processes.

Sometimes you add a program a reboot ensure that the program gets integrated into the operating system to run correctly.

Proudly posted via Z10 on CB10
    04-02-13 02:04 AM
    There are two most common advantages of rebooting your PlayBook... the first one is to resolve some "lags" when your PlayBook is becoming slow and unresponsive... the second common advantage is, you can drink your coffee while it is still hot...

Posted via Z10
    FF22, Tim1131 and axllebeer like this.
    04-02-13 08:48 AM
    I do it once a week or so because I've notice an increase of battery life.

After two weeks or so, my battery starts to drain faster.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 03:06 PM
    clearing your cache regularly helps also...
    04-02-13 03:57 PM
    I do it every month or so just because.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    04-02-13 05:29 PM
    A hard reset is comparable to doing a battery pull on your phone. As mentioned above, it is an immediate power interruption which prevents a normal closure of services and processes and prevents saving a corrupt setting or file. If you have an app or function acting up on you that a soft reset(restart) doesn't resolve, try a hard reset. I also recommend doing a hard reset or two after an update and I always do one after downloading a new app.

It is not correct that you have to do a three button procedure for the hard reset. Pushing the power button and the +volume button simultaneously will accomplish exactly the same thing and is much easier, not to mention preventing accidental screenshots. You'll know you've accomplished a proper hard reset if you don't see the "PlayBook turning off" notification and the PB restarts itself.
    04-03-13 12:43 AM
    What about holding the power button till it blacks out and then starting manually? I usually get 600Mb free after, as opposed to opening 12 apps till the android player shuts off ( which frees up around another 70Mb )
    04-03-13 01:49 AM
    What about holding the power button till it blacks out and then starting manually? I usually get 600Mb free after, as opposed to opening 12 apps till the android player shuts off ( which frees up around another 70Mb )
    That procedure performs a normal shutdown which is fine if it resolves any problems you're having, and as you said, it does recover some memory. I would do a normal shutdown/restart (soft reset) before doing a hard reset anyway. Still, a hard reset is good periodically just to clear out the cobwebs.
    04-03-13 10:33 AM
    I know there are plenty that will leave the PlayBook running for months on end but I always turn mine off at the end of the day to charge. So it gets a daily reboot which has always been my policy.
    04-03-13 10:57 AM
    clearing your cache regularly helps also...
    ______

How does one clear one's cache? I delete older "sent" email: is that the same as clearing out a cache? Otherwise, how to go about clearing other parts of a cache? Simply deleting files and folders (not the F&F app though).
    04-04-13 11:25 AM
    ______

How does one clear one's cache? I delete older "sent" email: is that the same as clearing out a cache? Otherwise, how to go about clearing other parts of a cache? Simply deleting files and folders (not the F&F app though).
    It is the Browser cache that is being referred to. Open the Browser, swipe down and get to Browser Options. I'll allow you to look at the various options but in those options is one to clear the cache and cookies as well as other interesting settings.
    SEAWARRIOR and rotorwrench like this.
    04-04-13 11:59 AM
    It is the Browser cache that is being referred to. Open the Browser, swipe down and get to Browser Options. I'll allow you to look at the various options but in those options is one to clear the cache and cookies as well as other interesting settings.
    i usually do the "clear all' a couple/3 times a week,,, some ppl go longer,,, i'm the same way w/ hard resets,,, i like my gadgets snappy...
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-04-13 03:21 PM
    Rebooting could fix issues with the buggy Android runtime. I find that after running a lot of Android apps, the runtime gets stuck and shows a glowing white/blue BB logo before crashing. The only way to fix this is to reboot.
    04-04-13 10:31 PM
    Thanks guys.
    04-04-13 10:38 PM
    Another major reason to reboot. Is to get the wifi to respond. In a lousy wifi environment, extended running of PB will result in a loss of connectivity. Rebooting restores the connection. (the wifi page will show a connection, but it may not be functional until a reboot).
    04-04-13 10:56 PM