09-09-17 06:11 PM
37 12
tools
    And all the ea games that where a selling point for the playbook got removed by ea from the playbook app store.
    09-08-17 11:57 AM
    It's not as useful as it used to be sadly.
    09-08-17 11:58 AM
    It's not as useful as it used to be sadly.
    It's a dead tablet from six years ago, what did you expect?
    09-08-17 12:00 PM
    but if someone spent there time rooting it why not release how.
    09-08-17 12:15 PM
    IT HAS NEVER BEEN DONE and several people have tried. As I said to you earlier, try to do it then let us know how. You would be the first. There really is no point.
    09-08-17 12:24 PM
    The PlayBook was rooted once. Remember "Dingleberry" back in early 2012? Worked on only some pre-OS 2 versions.

Not much advantage to it as it has nothing to do with the bootloader.
    09-08-17 01:10 PM
    Also, it wasn't a production unit, right?, so the security scheme is likely different anyway.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-08-17 01:16 PM
    All the info about it said it worked on any PlayBook with an OS of a certain vintage. How true that was... I don't know.
    09-08-17 01:40 PM
    You make my point very well, expectations + uses. I am not an app "junkie", so Facebook, Twitter, Instagram + other social media apps are irrelevant to me. I think that both the Apple App Store + Google Play Store have many equally useless apps so I am quite happy with the Playbook apps. I use the PB as a utility for email, banking, weather, paying bills, Kijiji etc. For the Apple user, the 128GB iPad is an essential component of the Apple eco-system (along with a Mac computer + an iPhone), as these devices integrate perfectly with each other with Wi Fi. As you say the PB is the device you prefer to use, that's what matters.
    09-08-17 08:14 PM
    It's over 6 years old. Why would anyone care? A new $50 tablet would blow the doors off it.
    Yes, delete this forum! Haha, kidding with you C. You crack me up man..

What is interesting is the early vulnerability that was found. I remember hearing that before where they achieved root which didn't do much but make the lights and stuff change colors, hah. However, if the right person can find a. PB out there with the first version still on there, maybe it can be done? I doubt it ever will be but that would be the best chance.

Doesn't blackberry take longer to load as it checks all the hardware with the software to make sure it matches, at least in BB10 if not all the way back to the PB as well?...

BTW: I use my playbook with Kalemsoft to Tranfer all my moviwe collection from my Windows to my tablet thru my WiFi and then use its hdmi to plug into TV, it's brilliant for that and other things...

LONG.. LiVE... BB10, BlackBerry Passport & Those STiLL Keeping it Native. Oh, That Modern 1 x 1 Screen Ratio = Second To None!
    09-09-17 02:57 PM
    When Best Buy had the exchange program where you get a $50 gift certificate for any functional tablet towards a new tablet, I went for it, intending to get a ~$100 tablet as replacement. All of the possible replacements weren't up to par with the 16 GB PlayBook, mostly in the area of display and speakers. I ended up holding onto the gift card for a few years and buying something else with it.

I replaced the PlayBook with a Dell Venue 8 7000, which lost its support one year after release, so I kinda went into the same no-upgrade boat. <sigh> I bought the Dell refurbed, so only spent $160 for it. Its display, AMOLED 2560 x 1600, is way better than the PlayBook, but the mono speaker is very weak in comparison. Maybe things have changed, but until 2015, even a $160 tablet couldn't match the PlayBook in some respects.
    09-09-17 04:10 PM
    When Best Buy had the exchange program where you get a $50 gift certificate for any functional tablet towards a new tablet, I went for it, intending to get a ~$100 tablet as replacement. All of the possible replacements weren't up to par with the 16 GB PlayBook, mostly in the area of display and speakers. I ended up holding onto the gift card for a few years and buying something else with it.

I replaced the PlayBook with a Dell Venue 8 7000, which lost its support one year after release, so I kinda went into the same no-upgrade boat. <sigh> I bought the Dell refurbed, so only spent $160 for it. Its display, AMOLED 2560 x 1600, is way better than the PlayBook, but the mono speaker is very weak in comparison. Maybe things have changed, but until 2015, even a $160 tablet couldn't match the PlayBook in some respects.
    True I have a 64gb which was superb for the time but always wondered if it be better to have the data version with dual core 1.5ghz over the 64gb storage with the standard 1.0 dual core. I guess I'll never know but doubt that little extra processing! Power makes a huge diff so the 64 is prob best. It's great for movies and throwing them in the car for the kids, especially at the prices they sell for fairly cheap. IMO

LONG.. LiVE... BB10, BlackBerry Passport & Those STiLL Keeping it Native. Oh, That Modern 1 x 1 Screen Ratio = Second To None!
    09-09-17 06:11 PM
37 12