for subsidizing the Playbook sales to get them in more peoples' hands. Good move for everyone in the long run!

btw, I had to replace my old business phone (Storm 2) recently but loved my PB so much I got the total touchscreen Torch rather than the recently allowed iPhone. Great pair and glad I stayed with Blackberry
    01-28-12 12:56 PM
    Yeah I thought it was a good move for RIM trying to build a fanbase since people dont really know what the playbook is capable of, and it will definitely be good in the long run
    01-28-12 01:01 PM
    When you introduce a new platform, there's a "chicken-and-egg" conundrum; devs won't write for a platform without users and users won't buy a platform without apps.

Apple found a relatively low-risk way to accomplish this: their App Store was built for the iPod Touch and had the opportunity to get established before the iPhone was first introduced.

RIM, unfortunately, had to start from scratch. What they needed to do was release a quality, usable device with an adequate app store at an affordable price. They could have even gotten away with two out of three of those points. Instead, they released a beautiful piece of hardware that was only somewhat usable with almost no apps and they charged iPad prices.

Had they managed the launch better, more PBs would have sold, and the platform would have attracted devs much quicker... as it turned out, they had to throw bucket-loads of money at it.

In a funny way, though, when they announced the OS 2.0 delay and the write-down last fall, I took it as a sign that they were committed to the device and the platform; the easy way out would have been to release 2.0 in whatever state it was in then and announce the PB would be discontinued...
    01-28-12 01:19 PM
    When you introduce a new platform, there's a "chicken-and-egg" conundrum; devs won't write for a platform without users and users won't buy a platform without apps.

Apple found a relatively low-risk way to accomplish this: their App Store was built for the iPod Touch and had the opportunity to get established before the iPhone was first introduced.

RIM, unfortunately, had to start from scratch. What they needed to do was release a quality, usable device with an adequate app store at an affordable price. They could have even gotten away with two out of three of those points. Instead, they released a beautiful piece of hardware that was only somewhat usable with almost no apps and they charged iPad prices.

Had they managed the launch better, more PBs would have sold, and the platform would have attracted devs much quicker... as it turned out, they had to throw bucket-loads of money at it.

In a funny way, though, when they announced the OS 2.0 delay and the write-down last fall, I took it as a sign that they were committed to the device and the platform; the easy way out would have been to release 2.0 in whatever state it was in then and announce the PB would be discontinued...
    Actually the iPhone came out in June 2007 the iPod Touch Sept 2007. The App store was introduced in June 2008. I believe they came preloaded with apps the first year.
    Last edited by skier1960; 01-28-12 at 01:54 PM.
    01-28-12 01:42 PM
    Actually the iPhone came out in June 2007 the iPod Touch Sept 2007. The App store was introduced in June 2008. I believe they came preloaded with apps the first year.
    Oops, I stand corrected; for some reason I'd thought the Touch was out for a good year before the iPhone. Sorry!

01-28-12 02:22 PM
    Apple found a relatively low-risk way to accomplish this: their App Store was built for the iPod Touch and had the opportunity to get established before the iPhone was first introduced..
    Let's not revise history. Other than the basic native apps on the iPhone, the first apps that were allowed were basically just Web-Based pointers that worked through Safari. They didn't want to allow apps in the sense we have them today. It wasn't until the jailbreaking community making apps got some momentum that Apple decided not to fight it and embrace it instead.
    01-28-12 02:34 PM
    My corporate issued BB is slow as $hit so I was going to get the i4S (recently allowed as well)... but after using the PBs, am definitely sticking with the BB; I just dont know much about the BB phones and need to make the right call on that... my company is on ATT and I think I read here that the newer OS7 BBs (forgot their names) are much faster... The ONLY reason I will stick with BB is if the newer models are much faster when using the browser while bridged....
    01-28-12 02:36 PM
    loving my torch touch and pb also. great choice.
    01-28-12 02:42 PM
    The 9900 and 9810 are both very fast phones. For example the 9810 is way faster than the 9800.

In regards to bridging and browsing, there is little difference between the old and new for network speed, maybe 15% but the actual bridge features such as email is much quicker on the newer phones. When you use a newer phone like the 9900 or 9810 as a mobile hotspot, depending on the cellular data speed, the connection is almost as fast as wifi.
    01-28-12 02:48 PM
    My corporate issued BB is slow as $hit so I was going to get the i4S (recently allowed as well)... but after using the PBs, am definitely sticking with the BB; I just dont know much about the BB phones and need to make the right call on that... my company is on ATT and I think I read here that the newer OS7 BBs (forgot their names) are much faster... The ONLY reason I will stick with BB is if the newer models are much faster when using the browser while bridged....
    its worth noting the Bluetooth 2.1 EDR has a max transfer rate of 3mbit/s (although the norm is apx 2.1), so you could have the fastest phone signal on say LTE running 100mb/s and it wouldnt make a difference, so the ceiling in preformance of bridge is bluetooth itself currently.
    of course if you got a new OS7 device then (subject to your carrier) making a wifi hotspot is a faster route.
    01-28-12 02:48 PM
    my 9810 is coming soon! going to replace my 9700. excited now. hop it's a whole lot quicker now!
    01-28-12 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD