Sounds more like you use sms for what most people use bbm or some other messenger for. I certainly have never had to do all this crap on sms that you are complaining about.

For what I use sms for, and I'd assume most people do as well, Im very satisfied with it and it's not slow for me at all. Adding multiple recipients for one sms looks rather painless as well.
    I'm with you! I didnt realise that people frequently sent group txts to lots of people. And it sounds like PEBKAP (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Playbook) if someone forgets to add someone to a group text after they have started typing, not a failing on RIM's part!

We now have SMS on the Playbook, something that ,as far as I know, isnt available on any other tablet. Stop picking holes in it. It works, maybe not with all of the specifics that YOU want but its working the way that the majority of us want it to.
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-04-12 06:09 AM
    On my side, the list of text on the PB is freezing and named with wrong people. And doesn't work at all.
    It is simply not usable at all....

Quite disappointing I have to admit.
    10-04-12 06:21 AM
    On my side, the list of text on the PB is freezing and named with wrong people. And doesn't work at all.
    It is simply not usable at all....

Quite disappointing I have to admit.

Works fine here. Would recommend a reinstall.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    10-04-12 06:31 AM
    I'm with you! I didnt realise that people frequently sent group txts to lots of people. And it sounds like PEBKAP (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Playbook) if someone forgets to add someone to a group text after they have started typing, not a failing on RIM's part!

We now have SMS on the Playbook, something that ,as far as I know, isnt available on any other tablet. Stop picking holes in it. It works, maybe not with all of the specifics that YOU want but its working the way that the majority of us want it to.
    "if someone forgets to add someone to a group text after they "

You're kidding right????

Lets take away that functionality to add/remove recipients from your phone.

Better still where you have 20-30 people in a dist list lets remove the ability to text to a group so you have to enter the 20-30 names each time.

having to scroll through 500 contacts to add a name that begins with the letter W isn't user friendly.

(oh and having scrolled to look for a group that began with W was even more frustrating as groups setup on the phone don't show up on the PB - basic stuff eh?)

Don't give me that PEBKAP nonsense - open your eyes about what people use communication devices for. Then you'll see this isn't the finished article on the PB by any means
    drew8484 likes this.
    10-04-12 07:17 AM
    I love the new text feature, the people I text already have coversations ongoing so I don't have to start a new convo, I just wish they were ordered like newest text received at the top! but other than that its great
    shrinkbbuser and Hgouck like this.
    10-04-12 07:52 AM
    "if someone forgets to add someone to a group text after they "

You're kidding right????

Lets take away that functionality to add/remove recipients from your phone.

Better still where you have 20-30 people in a dist list lets remove the ability to text to a group so you have to enter the 20-30 names each time.

having to scroll through 500 contacts to add a name that begins with the letter W isn't user friendly.

(oh and having scrolled to look for a group that began with W was even more frustrating as groups setup on the phone don't show up on the PB - basic stuff eh?)
    Sorry, they havent removed the ability to add or remove contacts from your phone. You are wanting to add recipients to a group or group text after you have started composing a text, yes? Thats quite specific...and I wouldnt have ever though of that scenario.

In fact they havent taken anything away at all...SMS from your Playbook is an entirely NEW function! Its going to have limitations...give them time to develop it, and maybe then you'll get all the features you are looking for.

Don't give me that PEBKAP nonsense - open your eyes about what people use communication devices for. Then you'll see this isn't the finished article on the PB by any means
    Exactly, it isnt a finished article, it is a new feature that does what it says on the tin...it sends texts. No-one has said that it will do exactly what you want it to...other than to send the aforementioned SMS over bridge.

Do you really send out a single text to a distribution list of 20 - 30 people?? Doesnt that cost you a fortune? As someone said above, it sounds like you are trying to do something which others use BBM or some other sort of Instant Messenger program for.

Tell you what though...its not the end of the world! You still have your phone which can do it...so most of your points are null and void to be honest. The SMS feature on the Playbook is new and it sends texts perfectly well to single recipients which is what about 95% of use will ever use the SMS feature for!
    Last edited by Dugganm; 10-04-12 at 08:44 AM.
    si001 likes this.
    10-04-12 08:40 AM
    Sorry, they havent removed the ability to add or remove contacts from your phone. You are wanting to add recipients to a group or group text after you have started composing a text, yes? Thats quite specific...and I wouldnt have ever though of that scenario.

didn't say they did remove it from phones - I asked what if they did?- it's been around for years on all phones to select the recipient list and add and remove as required. Also just because you haven't thought of it doesn't preclude others from actually using it.

In fact they havent taken anything away at all...SMS from your Playbook is an entirely NEW function! Its going to have limitations...give them time to develop it, and maybe then you'll get all the features you are looking for.

Give it time???? They've had months and months to add this function - it's not like they're inventing something from the ground up!!!!!!

Exactly, it isnt a finished article, it is a new feature that does what it says on the tin...it sends texts. No-one has said that it will do exactly what you want it to...other than to send the aforementioned SMS over bridge.

No it wont - cant select a group contact.

Do you really send out a single text to a distribution list of 20 - 30 people?? Doesnt that cost you a fortune? As someone said above, it sounds like you are trying to do something which others use BBM or some other sort of Instant Messenger program for.
    Unlimited texts here in the UK in bundles - along with hundreds of talktime plus unlimited internet.. If you can tell me how to organise teams of people where the only common is a mobile phone then please do!

Tell you what though...its not the end of the world! You still have your phone which can do it...so most of your points are null and void to be honest. The SMS feature on the Playbook is new and it sends texts perfectly well to single recipients which is what about 95% of use will ever use the SMS feature for!

urm, yes - hence regular active users wont use their PB in current form for texting - those less active with less contacts (less 100) it works just fine.

The non search through contacts - scrolling through more than 100 is painful - through 500 is a non starter, to add/remove recipients retrospectively to a started text, but the crowning is the non recognition of groups setup in contacts.

These aren't complicated things - the functionality exists on probably all text able phones out there already.

Apart from Bridge SMS, the rest is fine.
    10-04-12 11:00 AM
    Works fine here. Would recommend a reinstall.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    I too am having issues rendering the Bridge SMS un-useable. All conversations are listing the same person, and seems all converstations are the same collation of all texts sent ? Weird... I have restarted several times.... still an issue. Funny thing is, when the SMS app first loads, it all looks ok, then as it finishes loading.... perhaps a few seconds later it gets all screwed up. When i send a new text, it looks ok for a bit, but then just adds itself to the nonesense already going on... Too weird !

So. For the reinstall recommendation ? What gets reinstalled ? Bridge ? re-pair ? or OS2.1 ? and how do you do a OS reinstall ?
    10-04-12 11:17 AM
    try battery pull on the phone and a reboot on the PB.

thankfully don't get what you're getting else I might start a thread about how pants sms is :-)
    10-04-12 11:43 AM
    Gave it a whirl this morning and I like it. Works perfectly for my needs. I generally text with only one person per conversation so I'll use it. Feel for those who text to large groups tho.
    10-04-12 11:55 AM
    I've upgraded and was looking forward to SMS on by PB but there is no launcher.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Michael Grant
    10-04-12 02:14 PM
    I've upgraded and was looking forward to SMS on by PB but there is no launcher.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Michael Grant
    If your go into the Blackberry Bridge Folder on your PB your will see the the Launch Icon called Text Messages.
    10-04-12 02:27 PM
    I too am having issues rendering the Bridge SMS un-useable. All conversations are listing the same person, and seems all converstations are the same collation of all texts sent ? Weird... I have restarted several times.... still an issue. Funny thing is, when the SMS app first loads, it all looks ok, then as it finishes loading.... perhaps a few seconds later it gets all screwed up. When i send a new text, it looks ok for a bit, but then just adds itself to the nonesense already going on... Too weird !

So. For the reinstall recommendation ? What gets reinstalled ? Bridge ? re-pair ? or OS2.1 ? and how do you do a OS reinstall ?
    I just started a thread explaining how to resolve this problem.
    10-04-12 03:54 PM
    Sounds like you're getting wound up over a non issue to me

They haven't broke your phone, so if you need to send a group message use that... If you want to text one person or just read a few use the playbook...

What rim promised was "sms over bridge". Can you send an sms over bridge? Yes you can. Does it have all the advanced features that comes with the phone client? No, but why delay an app for god knows how long to put in features for the 1% who use them?

I do use group sms quite a bit, we have people on Android/ios and it's easier than messing around installing messenger clients and setting up profiles for everyone, but if I need to do that I pick up my phone. I tend to do that in most cases anyway because the phone keyboard is far better than the pb for me
    Hgouck likes this.
    10-05-12 02:54 AM
    I like SMS over Bridge; but I'd like to disable "Press enter key to send" as on the phone.
    ie I can't create multiple line SMS.
    Any ideas?
    10-05-12 04:12 AM
    well what do you know - RIM are looking into the text groups thing by all accounts :-)
    10-08-12 03:27 PM
    Is there a way to add attachments to texts?
    Yeah, tap picture or document on the PB, select send and share, select SMS, this will open the SMS app, select contact and then send.
    Hgouck and anon(3641385) like this.
    10-08-12 07:43 PM
    what program do you use to do this?
    10-08-12 08:36 PM
    I do send group text to my workers. Once you send the first group text on your phone the conversation will show up on the playbook and you can continue using the playbook as your input device.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-12-12 02:51 PM
    Trying to get the hang of texting via bridge. Got envelope with red star icon on upper left of my PB indicating
    What: (1) bridged or (2) got text? Once bridged, I cannot make this icon go away. What???
    PLUS gots twirling green circle to infinity. What????? Doc Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 10-12-12 at 05:42 PM. Reason: More info
    10-12-12 05:39 PM
    Good point ur tablet makes texting look like you are working
    10-12-12 06:32 PM
    Trying to get the hang of texting via bridge. Got envelope with red star icon on upper left of my PB indicating
    What: (1) bridged or (2) got text? Once bridged, I cannot make this icon go away. What???
    PLUS gots twirling green circle to infinity. What????? Doc Neutron
    It means you have a text message that has not been opened.
    Twirling green circle means it is loading the existing contacts and texts
    Last edited by Hgouck; 10-12-12 at 06:35 PM. Reason: more info
    10-12-12 06:32 PM
    Nice tip about unopened whatnots. All my texts are open. More likely: ol' Doc
    Has really been sloppy about separating emails from text messages. Got to
    Suck it up and check phone options. Ugh. My head is pounding. Doc Neutron
    10-12-12 07:21 PM
    Cleared out all messages and text messages. Modified inbox management. Pruned contacts.
    Green rotating circle is gone! Still gots "you gots mail" icon in upper left of PB with white star
    In red circle. Is this way way you see it when you have no new messages? (Tapping this icon
    Says to tap here to view your messages, but there is no little x to dismiss the icon). Is this what
    You all see? Doc Neutron
    10-13-12 09:45 AM
    It's phone related...messages/view folder/sms inbox (read or delete unread messages).
    10-13-12 10:56 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD