Sorry if it has already been discussed. Could someone let me know how to send a text message from my playbook over wifi? I don't have a blackberry phone. Thanks,
    12-31-11 06:14 AM
    the playbook doesn't do sms.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-31-11 06:16 AM
    Check out this thread... some users found an app but it isn't the best http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssages-677697/
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-31-11 07:38 AM
    Sms bridge requires a BB phone.
    12-31-11 08:36 AM
    Google Voice.
    12-31-11 09:10 AM
    txtDrop.com did not work for me, plus now they have my email address and cell phone number to sell!
    12-31-11 06:52 PM
    Google Voice.
    Via the web browser of course.

www.google.com/voice
    12-31-11 07:19 PM
    imo.im does a lot of services, aim does text so thats an option. this can do skype as well. at the same time.
    12-31-11 07:20 PM
    Sms bridge requires a BB phone.
    I wasn't aware you could do this. I don't see texts in my bridge messages, and I'm not able to send texts from the playbook while bridged. Am I missing something?
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-31-11 08:51 PM
    Yeah, whoever is thinking you can SMS via the PlayBook and Bridge is sadly mistaken. In fact, you can BBM with the PlayBook but only with the contacts who are actually on a BB. If you add SMS contacts into BBM, they will not be available on the PlayBook.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-31-11 08:58 PM
    i have text messages disabled on my phone. but, years ago I used to send text messages by email by sending an email to the phone number and sms...

for ex.

5555555555@sms.att.com

its been a long time and i may have it wrong. Im sure someone else out there has sent text messages this way and can give better instructions.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-31-11 10:22 PM
    you can do it using yahoo mail. add your contact no and sms away..
    12-31-11 10:33 PM
    Yeah, whoever is thinking you can SMS via the PlayBook and Bridge is sadly mistaken. In fact, you can BBM with the PlayBook but only with the contacts who are actually on a BB. If you add SMS contacts into BBM, they will not be available on the PlayBook.
    i send sms from my playbook all the time, its an app for your bb phone called sms bridge. it uses email between the phone and playbook and works great. so, no sadly mistaken people here, just a very happy tablet texting dude. on a side note, unlike most text apps and services, this uses your phone number so everything is nice and in one place.
    01-01-12 11:04 AM
    I wasn't aware you could do this. I don't see texts in my bridge messages, and I'm not able to send texts from the playbook while bridged. Am I missing something?
    I should have been more clear in my response. SMS bridge is an app for your BB phone. It takes the text and makes it a new email which you can open from your PB. When you reply to the email it sends it back out as a text from your phone.
    Thanks to Tom for finding the app.
    01-01-12 11:13 AM
    i have text messages disabled on my phone. but, years ago I used to send text messages by email by sending an email to the phone number and sms...

for ex.

5555555555@sms.att.com

its been a long time and i may have it wrong. Im sure someone else out there has sent text messages this way and can give better instructions.
    i recall being able to do this before when I had a regular cell phone. I just tested sending a text from my BB to me email, and its phone#@mms.att.net as the address.

I am trying to send a text via email to my BB using the same address but gmail on my PB in the browser seems to hang and sits at "sending".
    01-01-12 11:23 AM
    @ chadface, dancing around the forums again are we. tag, your it. lol.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-01-12 11:50 AM

for ex.

5555555555@sms.att.com

i recall being able to do this before when I had a regular cell phone. I just tested sending a text from my BB to me email, and its phone#@mms.att.net as the address.

I am trying to send a text via email to my BB using the same address but gmail on my PB in the browser seems to hang and sits at "sending".
    at&t 1234567890@txt.att.net
    T-Mo 1234567890@tmomail.net
    Verizon 1234567890@vtext.com
    Sprint 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Rogers 1234567890@pcs.rogers.com
    Orange UK 1234567890@orange.net

There are way too many to list but you can just google the term "SMS gateways" for the rest.
    01-01-12 12:30 PM
    i send sms from my playbook all the time, its an app for your bb phone called sms bridge. it uses email between the phone and playbook and works great. so, no sadly mistaken people here, just a very happy tablet texting dude. on a side note, unlike most text apps and services, this uses your phone number so everything is nice and in one place.

I stand corrected.
    01-01-12 07:23 PM
    Sorry if it has already been discussed. Could someone let me know how to send a text message from my playbook over wifi? I don't have a blackberry phone. Thanks,
    If you know someone who has Kik messenger or Ping chat on their device (Android or iOS) you can install the (.bar converted) Android version of both of those apps on your Playbook and use it to send text messages to anyone else who has Kik or Ping chat.
    01-01-12 07:48 PM
    If you know someone who has Kik messenger or Ping chat on their device (Android or iOS) you can install the (.bar converted) Android version of both of those apps on your Playbook and use it to send text messages to anyone else who has Kik or Ping chat.

that would be instant messaging, not text messaging. text is carrier based, 160 characters per message.
    01-01-12 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD