This post is just to inform UK PB owners about tethering costs with UK major mobile companies.

Three charges �5 p/m (source: three does not provide info about the cost but if you go through the set up process it will be there - seriously this company sucks in every possible way)
    Orange charges �1 per day unless you are on the Panther plan (source: Tethering | help & support | Orange UK)
    Vodafone free (the best source I could find is this one Re: Will I be charged for this? (Tethering) - Vodafone eForum)
    O2 free (O2 tethering explained: phones, tariffs and bolt ons)
    12-25-12 09:35 AM
    Agree with any old 3G phone - with a 3G BB one bridges and uses the phone data plan.
    I have BBROAM - worldwide unlimited email and internet on BB phone with T Mobile - for �15/month.
    Bridges brilliantly to a PB. UK is �5/month.

Sent from my BlackBerry� Curve 3G using Tapatalk
    12-25-12 01:00 PM
    it does not need to be an old 3g phone for these charges (if any) to apply. Even if you have an iphone or a samsung s3, if there are tethering charges these will apply to you anyway. Only exception is - as you said - if you have BB and you bridge it.

I bought my gf a PB. But she has the Nokia E5. She is about to change provider and we were looking at the available options.

I could not find any info in the CB forum so I created a thread in case someone is in the same position as us and is looking for this kind of info.
    12-25-12 02:10 PM
    I guess this is the benefit of using an android...use foxfi with the cloak on & so long as you don't abuse tethering can't be seen - just looks like normal data usage. Works for me and my PB
    12-25-12 03:53 PM
    I am on Orange canary and I have never paid for tethering. When I tether I use my data allowance from my phone.
    12-26-12 07:03 AM
    If you have a BB phone and a PB - always use Bridge to connect.

It's not the same as tethering and won't attract tethering charges. The PB internet usage is instead charged to your BB data tariff, and if you have a sensible data allowance, you won't pay anything (even if your BB phone is on one of those tether charging networks).
    12-26-12 07:15 AM
    If you have a BB phone and a PB - always use Bridge to connect.

It's not the same as tethering and won't attract tethering charges. The PB internet usage is instead charged to your BB data tariff, and if you have a sensible data allowance, you won't pay anything (even if your BB phone is on one of those tether charging networks).
    You learn something new everyday. Did not know this worked. Just tried it by switching wifi off and still online.
    12-26-12 08:35 AM
    I'm on Vodafone and whilst I can tether FOC, there's no real advantage that I can see. It also drains the battery on the phone really fast. Bridging works just as well. Obviously if you don't have a BB phone, then a Vodafone tether is the way to go.
    12-26-12 03:17 PM
    i never tether, just use my phone as a wifi hotspot
    12-26-12 05:36 PM
    i never tether, just use my phone as a wifi hotspot
    Errm.. then you're tethered.

Using your phone as a WiFi hotspot is using your phone as a tethered modem for your PB. And, if your network charges for tethering, you'll get charged.

If you have a BB phone, setup Bridge, and connect your PB through the Bridge. Then all internet use on your PB will go through the BB phone data plan. The network can't "see" the PB connecting via the bridge and so they can't tell you aren't connecting using your phone (which you already pay for on your dataplan).

Just my opinion, but Bridge is possibly the single best thing on the PB, and I do wonder "what might have been" for the PB had RIM actively marketed this winning feature to all those millions of BB phone users to whom a bridged PB would have been a natural partner. There's probably an alternative history out there where 80 million PBs were sold to all the BB phone users.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 12-27-12 at 05:19 AM.
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    12-27-12 04:58 AM
    I am on Orange canary and I have never paid for tethering. When I tether I use my data allowance from my phone.
    I am glad you are not being charged although the source I posted says otherwise. Quoting "If you've a Dolphin, Canary or Racoon September 2011 tariff, tethering isn't included in any allowances and there is a �1 charge per day to use it"

It also drains the battery on the phone really fast. Bridging works just as well.
    Bridge also drains the battery considerably.

Exactly....

In general it would be nice if members of this forum could confirm that the info I provided is correct or not. It seems to me that it's a bit confusing at the moment as to what are the costs involved when tethering. Of course the best way is to call or talk to a member of staff.
    12-27-12 05:25 AM
    Bridge also drains the battery considerably.
    Not remotely as much in my experience
    12-27-12 06:00 AM
    I got the PB specifically for the bridging ability. Bell dings you heavily for tethering, and I was smart enough years ago to opt for a limitless data plan on the Blackberry. It was $5 per month more but I liked the freedom of not having to meter my usage. NOW, I'm appreciative more than ever of that decision. I use it at the cottage all the time. No use in having to pay for a third plan just to access the internet (home network + BB). The summer before my PB, I used a Rogers stick which cost me $35/month. May-October = 6 months x $35 = $210. That's one free PB every year I bridge (now, it's actually two 16GB PB's!! LOL) instead of a separate plan.
    12-27-12 11:21 AM
    12-27-12 03:21 PM