The tethering is the data... The voice is when u make or receive a call

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-11 01:43 PM
    What I would like to know is if when in bridge mode can I both view and control Blackberry apps like Facebook or Berryweather on the Playbook and not just BBM and email.
    The bridged apps are NOT BlackBerry phone apps running on the PlayBook. They're PlayBook apps which interface with their counterpart app on the BlackBerry phone. RIM has developed PlayBook counterpart apps for the things they've outlined, such as BBM, email, contacts, etc. It's unclear if they will open the interfacing technology to other developers, so far they have not. If they don't open that up then the answer is you only get the RIM apps, if they do then it will vary from app-to-app.

Ok, I get that CDMA can not do data and voice at the same time. But how is the bridge or tethering considered voice? Both are data connections. Without a doubt you will not be able to bridge or tether and make voice calls on a CDMA BB, but will be able to on a GSM.
    I think CrackBerry called this one wrong too. The question is, if you tether a laptop to a CDMA BlackBerry, can you still use BBM/email/etc on your BlackBerry. If you can do that, then bridge and tether will have no problem working at the same time. Bridge is just an interface to the app on the device, as explained above.

A voice call will definitely disconnect the tether, as simultaneous voice and data don't work. I expect non-data bridge items (viewing contacts, calendar, already received email, etc) will continue to work, but sending email or BBMs won't work.
    04-04-11 01:45 PM
    It sounds so gimmicky just reading how this bridge thing works.

04-04-11 02:50 PM
    It sounds so gimmicky just reading how this bridge thing works.
    It seems pretty good to me. It'll never have issues with things being out of sync like you would with two independent server connections. And it means I get all my email without double the data usage when I'm not on WiFi. And I means I only have one PIN for BBM, no needing to add people twice. And it works for those who have carriers that charge it for tethering. It's not as great for non-BB users, but it's not like the iPhone/iPad do this.
    04-04-11 03:26 PM
    It seems pretty good to me. It'll never have issues with things being out of sync like you would with two independent server connections. And it means I get all my email without double the data usage when I'm not on WiFi. And I means I only have one PIN for BBM, no needing to add people twice. And it works for those who have carriers that charge it for tethering. It's not as great for non-BB users, but it's not like the iPhone/iPad do this.
    I don't care much about it being wifi only cause 3 and 4G will be coming out soon. My problem is that this bridge concept is ********. This thing, if it were to be successful, would need to just have a clean and clear purpose. And as it stands right now, it seems like its a device that's useful only with blackberries... And gimmicky at that!

And in a country where BB ownership is dropping like a bad habit to iphone and droid, making a tablet that's almost dependent on a BB to function to its full potential is a very very bad idea! Kind of reminds me of other bad ideas rim had and conceeded on...... If u all remember a certain 'click' screen!

And as that bad idea went forward, RIM just dropped it! So their track record on good ideas and keeping to those good ideas haven't been the greatest as of late. I think rim is just struggling to find its own footprint to differenciate itself from the competition. Maybe one day they'll find that spark. But with the playbook.... Today is not the day!

IMO of course

04-04-11 04:00 PM
    i think its good for people with a BB already and DONT have to pay tether fees. if you are in the US, you will be paying a tether fee for most people though. RIMs target just seems small as people without a BB really lose out on many key things. Now they are saying that the software will evolve to fix some ofthose issues but its been 7 months almost now which you could have come up with those already IMO.

Just have to see when it comes out the ins and outs and how it really is
    04-04-11 04:49 PM
    Kind of reminds me of other bad ideas rim had and conceeded on...... If u all remember a certain 'click' screen!

And as that bad idea went forward, RIM just dropped it!
    RIM was forced into SurePress. The OS required a tactile input. It was a means to an end. How do we keep tactile input and create a touchsceen? VZW wasn't getting the iPhone and they wanted something with a big brand name to compete. They went to RIM, RIM said, I'm sure we can come up with something and SurePress was born. It wasn't perfect, even on the S2, but it was inventive.

Bridge is similar. It's a means to an end for the time being.
    04-04-11 04:56 PM
    I think CrackBerry called this one wrong too. The question is, if you tether a laptop to a CDMA BlackBerry, can you still use BBM/email/etc on your BlackBerry. If you can do that...
    I think CrackBerry called this one right.

I am at this very moment on a PC tethered to my Blackberry on a CDMA (Verizon) plan.

When tethering, my BlackBerry device says it's in "Modem mode."

While in Modem mode, you can only read emails and messages that have already been received by the device. I can compose emails on the device, but they are "held" by the BB and are not actually sent out until the tethering connection is severed.

So I suspect (but cannot verify of course) the same will be true if I am on a playbook tethered to a CDMA Device. That is, I suspect that you can turn bridging on while thethered, but there will be limitations:

1) You can likely view emails and messages on the playbook that have been received by the device prior to initiating the tether connection.

2) You can likely compose messages and emails...but they will not be sent until the tether connection is severed.

Assuming that is true, it's possible that Rim can implement (or maybe did implement) a "send now" or "sync now" button in the bridging app for CDMA users....that would do the following:

1) Disconnect tether connection
    2) Send and receive BB messages
    3) Reestablish tether connection.

No ideal, but that's likely what we'll be manually doing if we're surfing the net via CDMA tethered device and want to send/receive messages....
    04-04-11 05:08 PM
    wow i never knew this...i assumed it would never be an issue.

so if you want to tether for data you really lose all function of email. So you have to cancel tether, wait to see if any email comes in, then reconnect tether and resume webrowsing.
    Last edited by howarmat; 04-04-11 at 05:26 PM.
    04-04-11 05:17 PM
    This may be a somewhat dumb question, but I follow the forums a lot, and I am struggling a little on this concept. I was hoping if someone would be able to help shed some light on.

I have Verizon and I somewhat understand the limitations behind the voice and data involving the PlayBook. However, just for argument sake lets say I am primarily tethering my BB to my PlayBook. (upgrading BB's throughout the years).

Eventually if Verizon comes out with an LTE BB device that does both voice and data at the same time, will I be able to then do that on a Wi-fi PlayBook?

I guess what I am asking is the speed and limitations of a tethered PlayBook based on the BB device? I only ask because I plan on purchasing a Wi-fi only model to pair with my 9650. I understand that there will be some limitations at the start but if new BlackBerries down the line come out that can give it GSM perks that CDMA currently doesn't have, will these perks transfer to the PlayBook as well?

Any help from all the genius people here in the CB community would greatly be appreciated.
    04-04-11 05:19 PM
    wow i never knew this...i assumed it would never be an issue.

so if you want to tether for data you really lose all function of email. So you have to cancel tether, wait to see if any email comes in, then reconnect tether and resumer webrowsing.
    Yes...that is correct!
    04-04-11 05:24 PM
    Eventually if Verizon comes out with an LTE BB device that does both voice and data at the same time, will I be able to then do that on a Wi-fi PlayBook?
    Well, actually, I assume that all 6.1 OS devices will include the ability to create WiFi hot spots...so you would not actually tether your playbook via bluetooth, but just use the LTE BB's ability to create a hot-spot and connect via Wi-Fi.
    levinej likes this.
    04-04-11 05:26 PM
    This may be a somewhat dumb question, but I follow the forums a lot, and I am struggling a little on this concept. I was hoping if someone would be able to help shed some light on.

I have Verizon and I somewhat understand the limitations behind the voice and data involving the PlayBook. However, just for argument sake lets say I am primarily tethering my BB to my PlayBook. (upgrading BB's throughout the years).

I guess what I am asking is the speed and limitations of a tethered PlayBook based on the BB device? I only ask because I plan on purchasing a Wi-fi only model to pair with my 9650. I understand that there will be some limitations at the start but if new BlackBerries down the line come out that can give it GSM perks that CDMA currently doesn't have, will these perks transfer to the PlayBook as well?

Any help from all the genius people here in the CB community would greatly be appreciated.
    LTE BlackBerries maybe in 2012

The speeds usually aren't dependent on the BlackBerry itself but rather the carrier/cell signal.

If new BlackBerries come out that have LTE then their abilities can be used by the PlayBook, but they can't be transferred to the PlayBook.
    levinej likes this.
    04-04-11 05:26 PM
    So, anyone know if Ill be able to play media files on my BB such as music and video on my PB when using the Bridge connection? Sorry if this has already been answered...
    04-04-11 10:27 PM
    it has access to those files so yes it would makes sense if it can. I have not seen it demostrated yet though
    04-04-11 10:31 PM
    i think its good for people with a BB already and DONT have to pay tether fees. if you are in the US, you will be paying a tether fee for most people though. RIMs target just seems small as people without a BB really lose out on many key things. Now they are saying that the software will evolve to fix some ofthose issues but its been 7 months almost now which you could have come up with those already IMO.

Just have to see when it comes out the ins and outs and how it really is
    thats what I'm saying! its been so long that I'm getting playbook fatigue! And they STILL seem like they are not quite ready with all the bells and whistles from this playbook! I don't quite understand why RIM is so slow with everything they do. What a bad reputation to have on your belt!
    04-08-11 01:33 AM
    Just to clarify: If I use Bridge and tethering at the same time the PB will route my PB-browser and apps traffic over the tethered connection and only my BIS/BES related stuff over Bridge?!
    04-17-11 06:36 AM
    A bridge to no where?

Seems like a very convoluted way to access email, etc, to the average web user?
    04-17-11 06:55 AM
    ok i have one HUGE question! why cant i use blackberry bridge AND internet tethering at the SAME time? i have a BlackBerry 9700 i want to use the tethering feature when i am out and not connected to a wifi network so i can use the weather app etc
    06-17-11 11:23 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD