Yeah this is clear as mud...

I understand the tethering, it will be just like tethering your laptop now to your BB (if you have a tethering option with your carrier).

The whole Bridge connection... from what I've seen from RIM and Kevin, it almost sounds like your opening a remote desktop connection on your PlayBook to your Blackberry. The Data and Programs all run on the Blackberry and are displayed on your PlayBook. So no separate data plan is required. But it sounds like the Bridge function will limit you to the applications that are installed on your BlackBerry, and will move at the speed of your current BlackBerry.
    Yup that's jut how I explained it earlier. With the bridge your BB is doing all the work. The PB is nothing more than a dumb terminal in a sense.
    03-31-11 08:35 AM
    You can tether your BB to PB for internet and Bridge your Bb to PB at the same time.
    03-31-11 08:35 AM
    It's wrong.

You have two options to get to the Internet.
    1. WiFi
    2. If no WiFi, tether to your Blackberry through the Bridge. It is limited to your data speed or the speed of Bluetooth minus any other data transfer happening between the Playbook and phone.
    The bridge and tethering are two different things..

A bridge is a joining, making them seem as one, the tether they are individual devices, two different device(PB&BB) going down the same road(internet)
    03-31-11 08:38 AM
    I thought u couldn't tether. And if u did, wouldn't that put u in violation of verizons TOS without a tether plan? I'm very confused here... A tablet shouldn't have to be this complicated

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-11 08:43 AM
    It's wrong.

You have two options to get to the Internet.
    1. WiFi
    2. If no WiFi, tether to your Blackberry through the Bridge. It is limited to your data speed or the speed of Bluetooth minus any other data transfer happening between the Playbook and phone.
    Yeah, refer to posts 2 and 3 in this very thread.
    03-31-11 08:43 AM
    I thought u couldn't tether. And if u did, wouldn't that put u in violation of verizons TOS without a tether plan? I'm very confused here... A tablet shouldn't have to be this complicated

It's not, does anyone read before they post anymore?
    03-31-11 08:46 AM
    So there will be a tethering fee if u want to tether your playbook?

03-31-11 08:47 AM
    So there will be a tethering fee if u want to tether your playbook?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...ring-t-599979/

There is a long discussion about it here, and several other threads.
    03-31-11 08:48 AM
    Wap forums limit me from reading and posting as fast as I'd like to.so I may be just a bit behind here...

03-31-11 08:50 AM
    Despite it being explained in this simple way, it likely cannot be this simple at all.

The data is actually "streamed" (cached or not) into apps that pull only what is being used at the given time. Again, we're missing some key information here.

"IP Modem" mode or BT/DUN for access while a bridge session is taking place kills all BIS/BES access under the PlayBook streaming data only scenario so I believe that RIM has something in store for BlackBerry devices over the bridge to enable apps access to internal resources through BES for instance.

We are lacking critical information needed to fully realize how this functionality will play out and have been engaging in very simplistic speculation from a consumer standpoint that doesn't jive with enterprise functionality. All this could very well change in the near future as the device takes on it's own entity, starts connecting to RIM's NOC and can exist on it's own.
    03-31-11 08:51 AM
    Wow, this thread is making it sound soooo difficult to do anything with this thing.
    03-31-11 09:13 AM
    And they spent how much time working on this thing so it can just "bridge" ur bb??? Hmmm

03-31-11 09:22 AM
    Despite it being explained in this simple way, it likely cannot be this simple at all.
    Take a look at this page about Bluetooth profiles first. Bluetooth profiles - User Guide - BlackBerry Bold 9780 Smartphone - 6.0

The data is actually "streamed" (cached or not) into apps that pull only what is being used at the given time. Again, we're missing some key information here.
    What information are you missing? It's going over Bluetooth through "Desktop Connectivity" profile for Calendar, "Message Access Profile" for email or maybe "Wireless Bypass profile for both. It may also use "Data Transfer" profile for sharing files between the two. Does that help crystallize everything for you? Nobody but the guys writing this software needs to know this. It does it over Bluetooth... case closed. There's nothing magical about it.

Here, watch this:

This is a BMW using the same bluetooth over a Blackberry getting the same data that a Playbook gets. QNX developed iDrive and this new feature. iDrive runs on the QNX Neutrino operating system that the Playbook Tablet OS is based on. Put 2 + 2 together and you can see how Blackberry apps will be running in your car soon. Another cool announcement id RealVNC in your car. Take a look at the video in:

On Q: RealVNC showcases smartphone connectivity at QNX automotive summit

It's amazing what QNX is doing so let's cut them some slack on the Playbook. This is VNC like access compared to the Message Access Profile in bluetooth which is definitely what Blackboard bridge is doing (not VNC).

"IP Modem" mode or BT/DUN for access while a bridge session is taking place kills all BIS/BES access under the PlayBook streaming data only scenario so I believe that RIM has something in store for BlackBerry devices over the bridge to enable apps access to internal resources through BES for instance.
    Several bluetooth connections can happen at the same time. The Playbook has symmetrical multi-processing and won't have a problem with this. Your Blackberry phone will be the bottleneck here until it can do faster processing and speeds.

We are lacking critical information needed to fully realize how this functionality will play out and have been engaging in very simplistic speculation from a consumer standpoint that doesn't jive with enterprise functionality. All this could very well change in the near future as the device takes on it's own entity, starts connecting to RIM's NOC and can exist on it's own.
    This will/can only happen with 3G/4G Playbooks. You can't get through to BIS/BES over open WiFi because it's not secure.
    Last edited by snuci; 03-31-11 at 09:36 AM.
    03-31-11 09:25 AM
    On a similar note, please see http://crackberry.com/internet-tethe...blet-bluetooth on how to tether on the Blackberry. That should help those who are unsure of how easy tethering is.
    03-31-11 09:51 AM
    anothing interesting thing will be using your phone as a phone while tethering. CDMA networks (VZW, SPRINT, etc) cant do simitanious data/voice. You will lose the data connection to the PB. Same applies for any tethering options on any CDMA actually.
    levinej likes this.
    03-31-11 09:55 AM
    anothing interesting thing will be using your phone as a phone while tethering. CDMA networks (VZW, SPRINT, etc) cant do simitanious data/voice. You will lose the data connection to the PB. Same applies for any tethering options on any CDMA actually.
    That is a very good point for CDMA user's, that will kind of suck.
    03-31-11 09:58 AM
    Ummm not so bad, it suspends the data while on the phone then goes back to data when the call is done. No big deal to me as when I'm talking to someone I'm paying attention to them.
    03-31-11 10:04 AM
    Ummm not so bad, it suspends the data while on the phone then goes back to data when the call is done. No big deal to me as when I'm talking to someone I'm paying attention to them.
    I would still miss the ability to be doing something on the Playbook while talking on the phone, heck I do that a lot with just the phone, I will do it twice as much with the Playbook.
    03-31-11 10:17 AM
    I would still miss the ability to be doing something on the Playbook while talking on the phone, heck I do that a lot with just the phone, I will do it twice as much with the Playbook.
    right, you will use this feature alot more since you will have 2 devices. like i said its the same with any tablet and CDMA phone. but this is where an actual wifi connection is more critical
    03-31-11 10:41 AM
    This will/can only happen with 3G/4G Playbooks. You can't get through to BIS/BES over open WiFi because it's not secure.
    Sorry snuci but BlackBerry Infrastructure tunnels happen over any stable WiFi connection and yes the WiFi PlayBook will have it's own BlackBerry Infrastructure connection to RIM's NOC when the native email client comes despite what you have just said. I understand why you are brining up the BT profiles, and I understand them however there is still more to this to provide BlackBerry specific functionality.

I am not sure why you started talking about performance when we are talking about RIM's IP Modem functionality simply cutting off any current BlackBerry Infrastructure connection. This is not a performance issue, this is how the BlackBerry device operates at this point when used with BT DUN. Performance has nothing to do with any of what I have said on either the smartphone or the tablet.

I have followed QNX for many years and am not passing any judgement on any company, nor have I complained about anything so giving anyone a break from "nothing" is not possible. I am stating that we don't know enough about the bridge yet to be confident on its limited functionality. I know Kevin posted some screenshots and such but this doesn't answer many questions really.

Time will tell and I should be given a demo soon by RIM (hope this takes place sooner than later) for our enterprise under NDA. I've been a BES admin for over 8 years and am trying to say that I don't believe we have the full picture of what bridging does and does not support yet especially from an enterprise point of view. Most of the comments here are clearly coming from a consumer perspective and knowledge related to RIM's consumer offerings.
    03-31-11 04:53 PM
    right, you will use this feature alot more since you will have 2 devices. like i said its the same with any tablet and CDMA phone. but this is where an actual wifi connection is more critical
    Ah I guess it doesn't matter to me cause I'm just a consumer. I can see where it could be useful though.
    03-31-11 04:58 PM
    Think of it this way, tethering is data transfer within the whole image whereas the bridge is data transfer only within the red oval.
    03-31-11 05:18 PM
    What I would like to know is if when in bridge mode can I both view and control Blackberry apps like Facebook or Berryweather on the Playbook and not just BBM and email.
    03-31-11 05:29 PM
    Ok, I get that CDMA can not do data and voice at the same time. But how is the bridge or tethering considered voice? Both are data connections. Without a doubt you will not be able to bridge or tether and make voice calls on a CDMA BB, but will be able to on a GSM.
    04-04-11 01:38 PM
    Ok, I get that CDMA can not do data and voice at the same time. But how is the bridge or tethering considered voice? Both are data connections. Without a doubt you will not be able to bridge or tether and make voice calls on a CDMA BB, but will be able to on a GSM.
    If u answer your phone, then your tethering will be cut off. Its as simple as that

04-04-11 01:42 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD