i have a tether problem with my pb 32 and my new 9900. I used before a 9800 device and all going well. With bridge i have no problem but i cannot tether my 9900. I can tether the 9900 with laptop via DM but not with 9900. I do delete all paired devices from pb an pair again still not working. Any idea about?

thanks you all....
    Last edited by giorgoskyropoulos; 08-29-11 at 01:44 PM.
    08-29-11 01:10 PM
    If you have installed the latest updates for Bridge and for PlayBook, all of your apps should work through Bridge, so tethering is not especially necessary. Try turning off wifi and you should still be able to go online with the regular browser and any app.
    ThaMunsta likes this.
    08-29-11 02:56 PM
    I know that but sometimes i need more "speed" from tether connection to do some work. Thanks any way but i really want to know what happens after the last updates on both devices.
    I still love my BB's.
    08-30-11 12:35 AM
    I know that but sometimes i need more "speed" from tether connection to do some work. Thanks any way but i really want to know what happens after the last updates on both devices.
    I still love my BB's.
    Not sure what you mean - they're functionally the same thing now. Bluetooth connection to your phone and your phones data connection out. Will they pair at all and transfer bridge data?
    08-30-11 12:40 AM
    Bridging and tethering are not the same. Tethering is usually (much) faster, and some sites still have problems with bridging (BofA for one)

OP...Are you tethering your 9900 to your laptop with a USB cable? If so, check your 9900's bluetooth settings and make sure dial-up networking is selected.
    08-30-11 03:55 AM
    I'm quite clear on the earlier pre .2942 era distinctions between tether and bridging - but I'm not confident the prior "absolute" walls between the two are exactly as firm now.

Without thread-jacking too much (I think this may be useful for OP too) - how exactly are they now different (tether vs bridged regular browser) or faster (speed tests? tethered vs bridged with 2942 non-tethered)? Anyone have any real evidence for this - or is it the same phenomenon (which I suspect) that each OS that comes out "is snappier".

Happy to be enlightened, but always skeptical!!
    08-30-11 12:14 PM
    When you bridge, all your data has to go through a big round trip via RIM's infrastructure --- that's why we know it's slower in absolute speed and higher in latency (bad for skype type VoIP). If you live in the US, your internet data may have gone up to Waterloo in Canada first --- that's why it's slower.
    08-30-11 12:40 PM
    I am not able to access any https sites with Bridge. I am with tethering. Customer support still not able to figure out why. Bridge and tether are not the same in my situation.
    08-30-11 07:31 PM
    Not sure what you mean - they're functionally the same thing now. Bluetooth connection to your phone and your phones data connection out. Will they pair at all and transfer bridge data?
    This is not correct. The bridge uses a slower connection then does tethering.

Speed tests done in a controlled method clearly show this.

Tim
    08-30-11 08:08 PM
    Bridging and tethering are not the same. Tethering is usually (much) faster, and some sites still have problems with bridging (BofA for one)

OP...Are you tethering your 9900 to your laptop with a USB cable? If so, check your 9900's bluetooth settings and make sure dial-up networking is selected.
    thanks for all but i dont find the dial-up connection settings on my 9900
    09-01-11 02:50 AM
    Waking this thread back up. I too have a 9900 that won't accept a tether connection. Bridge works fine but when I try to tether it tells me to make sure my phone is turned on and in range. I'm at a loss here. Called Rogers and made sure that the tethering was active and it is. Any suggestions from the crew that may actually be able to help?

Thanks guys
    09-22-11 03:18 PM
    I just solved this problem on my phone. And I'll admit I feel a little foolish. I should have known to check this. Score 1 for the PlayBook support line.

Networks and Connections > Bluetooth Connections > BlackBerry button > Options > scroll down and make sure Dial-Up Networking has a check beside it.

Once I did that I was good to go. Bridge and Tether both work now. Hope this helps some of you.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-22-11 08:32 PM
    Bringing this thread back from history, I have the same problem as the OP here in the UK with T-mobile. Works fine on my Mrs 9700 and have even changed the sim cards and checked settings to check that it is down to the 9900. Bridge is fine but I cant get any of the apps that use data to work. (sayes no connection available)

Cheers
    12-27-11 08:19 PM
    Thank you! I know this is an old thread but I hadn't thought much about the difference between bridging vs tethering until reading this thread. I may never need it but it's always handy to understand these things!

THIS is why I joined this forum in the first place!
    12-27-11 10:44 PM
    I have found my solution thanks to a fellow crackberry forum user see http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...hering-682676/
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-28-11 05:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD