I would take your data cable as a fallback in case wireless methods don't work out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-12 05:46 PM
    This is a great thread. I just did a 2 hour presentation the other night using only my PB. I used HDMI to projector but the sound didn't work (projector issue not PB). So I used my usb powered speakers and plugged it in for audio and my Torch's power usb. The only issue I had was playing videos within the slideshow-to-go. I made sure that I had the videos loaded onto my PB. It worked flawlessly. The one thing I tested before was that I couldn't play videos taken from youtube. I converted them to wma files using Real Player. If there is a better way, I'd love to hear it.
    PB performed better than expected.
    01-10-12 05:49 PM
    Got a PlayBook last year to replace a MacBook that was used for email, web surfing, RRS feeds, eBooks, calendar, presentations, etc. "Real" work is done on a desktop computer. Better ergonomics and faster.

So far PlayBook has worked fine but I do miss a native PIM. Email is easier to type on the BlackBerry 9800 than the PlayBook virtual keyboard plus I can search remote (Gmail) emails. OS2 can't come fast enough!

Surprisingly the PlayBook is being used more for games.
    01-10-12 07:27 PM
    Want SugarSync? Let them know! >> Backberry Playbook . Archive (373) . Feature Request . Forum . SugarSync Community

PS: You can go http://username.sugarsync.com while there is no app.
    01-10-12 07:53 PM
    Ever since I bought my Playbook, I barely used my laptop. I used it along with blue box and bridge and it's just great. I do not have to waiy for the laptop to start up and find wifi to have access to internet.

Things I will like to have in order to throw away my laptop will be usb hosting for external hard drive and a carrying case thta includes a functioning keyboard and last but not least an app.to convert .doc to.pdf
    01-10-12 08:22 PM
    tablets are to replace laptoos for sure

how would they not? with cloud computing and wireless capabilities - there will soon be no need for any storage, of any kind, let alone optical drives

except for extreme cases, like obvious things such as servers and such things, tablets will totally replace laptops, i don't see any other way

it is quite clear how practical and useful tablets now have become, so they're only going to become more and more powerful and remain portable, perhaps only using projections of huds and interfaces instead of bulky hardware

with nano science and such become normal, then i am pretty sure little tiny servers will exist as well, perhaps "tablet servers", lmao - of course tablets will replace laptops and computers of all kinds, like desktops, etc...

only a luddite or xp user like me would think tablets won't replace laptops, PSYCHE, i'm no luddite!!!! lmao

lol, playbook pwnz
    Last edited by buckwylder; 01-10-12 at 09:08 PM.
    01-10-12 09:05 PM
    Sounds like a pretty detailed and realistic test, with some decent results too. Kudos for taking one for the Blackberry nation!
    01-10-12 09:54 PM
    Good luck cause youre going to need it. I dont think youre the smartest cookie, being that youre not bringing any backup nor data cable with you. Matter of fact, youre doing something you havent done before without a safety net speaks to your lack of professionalism in your work. Perhaps you dont take your work seriously as it's not clear why you drafted out your plan in a public forum besides trying to polarize opinions. One thing is certain, you sound like a clown and youre definitely not the type of consultant i would ever hire.
    OBVIOUSLY you didnt read the full thread, including his follow up post. Try again and stop being a hater.
    raymond and horusmx like this.
    01-10-12 11:30 PM

I also had a small and compact notebook with me, but didn't use it at all either.
    - Citrix connection to my office didn�t work, so the notebook came in very handy (thanks @bounce007)
    Great review ... except for this little discrepancy
    raymond likes this.
    01-10-12 11:32 PM
    I'm going to be bummed a little when everyone and their brother has discovered the amazing playbook - I kind of liked being a renegade and a pioneer.

Playbook - the "I told you so" tablet.
    Bisboxer and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-10-12 11:47 PM
    I must admit - on my last trip I did bring a laptop, the only reason that I had some code to write and find notepad++ indispensable for this, also typing and text editing on ANY tablet is pain. But that was all I used it for - when I got to my destination - not at all during travel.

Everything else- playbook and the laptop stayed in my luggage checked - not even in my carry on.

As far as thumb drives and data cables go - I find them easier to lose and less secure than cloud storage of some type, - never once have I had a problem finding 3G and bridging, if wifi is a problem -which it usually isn't.
    01-10-12 11:57 PM
    Good luck cause youre going to need it. I dont think youre the smartest cookie, being that youre not bringing any backup nor data cable with you. Matter of fact, youre doing something you havent done before without a safety net speaks to your lack of professionalism in your work. Perhaps you dont take your work seriously as it's not clear why you drafted out your plan in a public forum besides trying to polarize opinions. One thing is certain, you sound like a clown and youre definitely not the type of consultant i would ever hire.
    Where are the Mods on this?
    corny888 likes this.
    01-11-12 12:08 AM
    We ignore Trolls here... And I did use the Report button. Let's all remember that.
    raymond likes this.
    01-11-12 12:15 AM
    We ignore Trolls here... And I did use the Report button. Let's all remember that.
    Going by past experience - no we don't.....and yes - so did I
    01-11-12 12:19 AM
    Firstly, I am very happy that you all have found this test useful. After so many years of learning from this forum, I am happy that I could share something back.

@twodotohh – Thanks for airing your point of view. Your reply was, indeed as @CDM76 pointed out among many other, based on my initial post only. As you may have seen if you followed the thread, I made several provisions. I made my test details available to fellow crackberry forum users for pointers and suggestion. And yes, I do feel comfortable asking stupid questions in the crackberry forum since I know that we are all on the path to share and learn from each other. No matter how wrong things might have gone during my business trip (jepp, I do earn my salary from my work), I know that I am capable of coming out of any peculiar with my professionalism fully intact. That is all I am going to say about your post.

@CDM76 – I found out what was the issue with Citrix. Although I did get an address for the Citrix server, it was not actually for the Citrix server but a server where I need to log in (via the web) and then use my security key to get access to the Citrix server icons. They would then upon up in Citrix application. Apparently, as I have been told so far, my company “does not provide access to Citrix via the external route”. I am still investigating what that actually means, as this statement kind of defies the purpose of having Citrix in the first place. Needless to say, I will not give up until I find out what the real issue is.

@alexyov1 – Indeed it was a micro HDMI. Only after reading your comment did I realise that there are two types of small HDMI connection. Lucky for me I got the correct one Thanks for mentioning.

@EWY – Thank you for the note. Indeed, a very good idea. I had not thought of that. I do have a Logitech diNovo Bluetooth mini keyboard with integrated mouse - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-920...bUvbUpU7019420. I will give it a ago later today and see if I can connect it to the Playbook. The battery life for that keyboard is pretty good (I normally have it connected to my laptop, which is connected to the home TV), so for short usage (less than 2 weeks) that might be a very good solution, i.e., no need to carry around the charger for it. Might I say, that would be quickly retired when BlackBerry remote comes along next month
    ** EDIT ** As I clicked the post button, I just realized that I can't use Logitech diNovo Bluetooth mini keyboard. It comes with a USB dongle and it not really compatible with Playbook in that way. So, off to find better options!

@audiotaku – Regarding the audio-less AVI. I will give it a try, but for the most cases the video file downloaded comes in as a single video file in the designated download folder. Hmm.. I will copy over the complete download folder and see if make any difference.
    Last edited by portal; 01-11-12 at 12:32 AM.
    01-11-12 12:29 AM
    Nice read! Good to hear that everything went pretty smooth. Just curious, has anyone tried these types of presentations/trips with an iPad? I ended up buying one because I got a pretty good deal, but after seeing OS 2 and it's capabilities I'm pretty much set on selling it and waiting for a great deal on a 64GB Playbook. I may just give it a chance if I can figure out how to tether it to my tour (if that's possible) and if it can do things like presentations, document editing, etc.
    01-11-12 04:31 AM
    Ever since I bought my Playbook, I barely used my laptop. I used it along with blue box and bridge and it's just great. I do not have to waiy for the laptop to start up and find wifi to have access to internet.
    Things I will like to have in order to throw away my laptop will be usb hosting for external hard drive and a carrying case thta includes a functioning keyboard and last but not least an app.to convert .doc to.pdf
    Also trying to use PB for mobility. I use Bluebox, Google Docs, Files & Folders & Docs to Go. This combination provides MOST of what I need. I am able to convert .xls files to PDF within the PB via Files & Folders & Gdocs. These are then downloaded to the PB and emailed from the PB via Files & Folders. You could do the same with your .doc files. This is a process but it's the only way that I'm aware of at the present time.

I upload the .pdf to Dropbox and print them, when necessary, when I return to the office. I'm looking for a portable printer as mobile printing is a pretty important thing to me.

I've managed to eliminate the need to carry usb drives by utilizing cloud storage, microSD on BB phone and PB storage. My BB phone and PB are both password protected for security.

I think the BB phone as a remote will suffice, for me, as a keyboard and mouse.

TrueCrypt (an encryption program) for the PB would be the final piece of the puzzle. There are business files that I will never put in the cloud without my own encryption, period.

Great thread everybody, lots of good info here.
    01-11-12 08:34 AM
    Also trying to use PB for mobility. I use Bluebox, Google Docs, Files & Folders & Docs to Go. This combination provides MOST of what I need. I am able to convert .xls files to PDF within the PB via Files & Folders & Gdocs. These are then downloaded to the PB and emailed from the PB via Files & Folders. You could do the same with your .doc files. This is a process but it's the only way that I'm aware of at the present time.

I upload the .pdf to Dropbox and print them, when necessary, when I return to the office. I'm looking for a portable printer as mobile printing is a pretty important thing to me.

I've managed to eliminate the need to carry usb drives by utilizing cloud storage, microSD on BB phone and PB storage. My BB phone and PB are both password protected for security.

I think the BB phone as a remote will suffice, for me, as a keyboard and mouse.

TrueCrypt (an encryption program) for the PB would be the final piece of the puzzle. There are business files that I will never put in the cloud without my own encryption, period.

Great thread everybody, lots of good info here.
    Thanks for sharing the info. I will try Files & Folders, but I will love to have an option to convert directly in the PB with out having to access and outside site. Something like CutePDF Writer.

Let's see what the 2.0 brings, especially the Print To Go App.
    01-11-12 11:27 AM
    @portal
    I too have a mini Bluetooth keyboard like the one below.
    RII Mini Bluetooth Keyboard Mouse with Touchpad and Laser Pointer
    Amazon.com: RII Mini Bluetooth Keyboard Mouse with Touchpad and Laser Pointer: Electronics
    I use it for my EXOPC Win Tablet. I never even try that with my Playbook. There is a Bluetooth Dongle but it is needed only when the device you are connecting does not have Bluetooth built in. Playbook has Bluetooth and you should not need the Bluetooth Dongle in order to connect your Logitech diNovo Bluetooth mini keyboard.
    01-11-12 11:31 AM
    @CDM76 � I found out what was the issue with Citrix. Although I did get an address for the Citrix server, it was not actually for the Citrix server but a server where I need to log in (via the web) and then use my security key to get access to the Citrix server icons. They would then upon up in Citrix application. Apparently, as I have been told so far, my company �does not provide access to Citrix via the external route�. I am still investigating what that actually means, as this statement kind of defies the purpose of having Citrix in the first place. Needless to say, I will not give up until I find out what the real issue is.
    To use Citrix Receiver as you are probably attempting to requires PNAgent to be configured on the Citrix Server. From what you describe it sounds like a Web Interface your company has setup. Look for the "Web Interface" option in Citrix Receiver when adding the account and that will allow you to connect to the server. If you already have your account setup, go into the settings > Edit Accounts > Select the account > Edit. Scroll down to bottom and select "Web Interface". All the other fields will disapper except for the server address and the description. Now try it.

Basically Citrix Receiver will function as a web browser and allow you login to the web site like you normally would from your laptop. When you click on your icons, Receiver will then launch the applications.
    portal likes this.
    01-11-12 01:03 PM
    Splashtop HD available for Playbook now, just and FYI =D

I love that they responded so quickly to the community demand for the app. I'm not affliliated with them in any way, just wanted to mention it, as I've been bookmarking all the support threads for logmein / splashtop for the playbook.
    anon(3460513) likes this.
    01-11-12 01:15 PM
    To use Citrix Receiver as you are probably attempting to requires PNAgent to be configured on the Citrix Server. From what you describe it sounds like a Web Interface your company has setup. Look for the "Web Interface" option in Citrix Receiver when adding the account and that will allow you to connect to the server. If you already have your account setup, go into the settings > Edit Accounts > Select the account > Edit. Scroll down to bottom and select "Web Interface". All the other fields will disapper except for the server address and the description. Now try it.

Basically Citrix Receiver will function as a web browser and allow you login to the web site like you normally would from your laptop. When you click on your icons, Receiver will then launch the applications.
    @TBone4eva - You are right! We have a weblogin where we need to give a username and password, and then a random key from a token. I gave the address to the direct server Citrix page (we have many different locations that we can select amongst from the from page before the authentication page). As soon as I had entered the direct webpage, I could enter the details and wow: I have Citrix access. This is just awesome, and I am kind of disappointed over myself that I didn't pursue this option before I left.

The only item that is not working is the keyboard. If I try to write something, the keyboard does not appear. Any particular setting I need to turn on for that?
    01-12-12 08:40 AM
    I've encountered that as well. Anytime you need the keyboard, just swipe diagonally from the lower left corner and the keyboard will appear.
    01-12-12 08:50 AM
    Great thread! I have carried just my PB several times when I wanted to take off work but needed to be available. I have only once done this without wireless access being available and I had to rely on my bridge browser. Massive fail because of Sprint's horrible network, but everywhere there was wireless I had no problem at all.

I never care about native email because I have web-based links to all of my email accounts with one-touch access on my PB homescreen.
    01-12-12 09:15 AM
    I've encountered that as well. Anytime you need the keyboard, just swipe diagonally from the lower left corner and the keyboard will appear.
    Worked like a charm. Many thanks! Next time, the thin notebook is also staying home
    bjw408h likes this.
    01-12-12 09:17 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD