No, he will sell a large phone in the holiday quarter which he can command $$ for as the market is paying for phones versus tablets.
    Hmm let's see, the z10 battery lasts what - 24hrs on a charge on a good day ( if that ), the proposed phablet will have a larger display, probably a quad core processor, more ram and dedicated graphics chips so will probably acheive a stellar 12hrs or less, at a price greater than a tablet which will do the same but better at a fraction of the price with a much bigger display.

Way to go BBRY, you are surely leading the way.
    05-16-13 06:35 AM
    Hmm let's see, the z10 battery lasts what - 24hrs on a charge on a good day ( if that ), the proposed phablet will have a larger display, probably a quad core processor, more ram and dedicated graphics chips so will probably acheive a stellar 12hrs or less, at a price greater than a tablet which will do the same but better at a fraction of the price with a much bigger display.

So... lemme get this straight, of all the things you may choose to criticise BlackBerry on, and you're criticising them on a vapourware phablet, currently unanncounced, spec unknown, perhaps largely undesigned, but predicated on the basis that some leaked diagrams show one on a roadmap?

Ooookaay, then...
    rthonpm and MasterOfBinary like this.
    05-16-13 06:43 AM
    So let's get this straight, the growth market for tablets is currently huge, but rather than cashing in on this with an already proven bit of kit, which would have provided yet another income stream for BB with no doubt more sales on the back of an update. What does he do? That's right, he's decided to dis the whole tablet market as dying, whilst kicking the existing fan base squarely between the legs. [sarcam]Genius[/sarcam]
    I think the decision was based more on the fact that rim/bbry canNOT make money selling a tablet in competition with Apple and the multitude of android devices. He will not sell at a loss like Amazon. So, he's abandoned a non-profitable endeavor. I can accept that. But his sweeping condemnation of Tablets 5 years hence - well, it was a childish tantrum.
    05-16-13 08:43 AM

Please don't do that to me again. I've been laughing so hard since I read your comment about the Z10 battery life that two men in white coats turned up to take me away! Last 24hrs only if you are a numerically dyslexic sea going turtle.

Ok let's have some live data on this supposed all singing all dancing Z10s battery.

8am this morning turn on the piece of crap.
    WiFi switched off.
    BT switched on but not connected to any device.
    No calls recieved or made.
    No sms text sent or received.
    7 BBM messages sent and 8 received between 9am and 10am.
    2 calendar event alarm notifications for meetings.
    1 app updated from app world (approx) 30secs.

Now 2.50pm and battery level already at 60%.

God forbid anyone who tries to use it as an actual phone or try to do something useful with it. Probably why RIM disabled the bridge functions on it. Nothing to do with coding bridge for bb10 its probably due to the battery being almost useless!

I never normally take the piece of crap out of my pocket. I have all voice and data redirected to my old bb handset and just leave the Z10 in my pocket hoping the battery can last the day!

24hrs!!!!!!!
    05-16-13 08:54 AM
    I never normally take the piece of crap out of my pocket.
    But isn't that Herr Heins's vision of future computing - you have your phone in your pocket and it hijacks the nearest viewing screen and displays your data on that.

It's gonna be great in an electronics store, showing everyone the latest Pron you've downloaded
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 09:09 AM
    But isn't that Herr Heins's vision of future computing - you have your phone in your pocket and it hijacks the nearest viewing screen and displays your data on that.

It's gonna be great in an electronics store, showing everyone the latest Pron you've downloaded
    I don't quite think my vision of the future will be based around a device that has less battery life than a vibrator do you?
    05-16-13 09:13 AM
    I don't quite think my vision of the future will be based around a device that has less battery life than a vibrator do you?
    There's a joke there about vibrators, battery life and extensive testing.... but I am not going there
    sad_old_man, FF22 and dphjeff like this.
    05-16-13 09:35 AM
    There's a joke there about vibrators, battery life and extensive testing.... but I am not going there
    I wouldn't have a clue what you mean??????????????? Ha ha........
    dphjeff likes this.
    05-16-13 09:39 AM
    S_O_M you just need to purchase that external battery for your Z10. That way you can have that stupid battery in one hand and phone in the other so you don't have your hand on something else.
    Last edited by dphjeff; 05-16-13 at 08:34 PM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 03:09 PM
    S_O_M you just need to purchase that external batter for your Z10. That way you can have that stupid batter in one hand and phone in the other so you don't have your hand on something else.
    I wouldn't do that anyway, I'm left handed. By the way as an update to my Z10 battery comment earlier.

2.50pm Z10 battery at 60%.
    5.00pm arrive home with the Z10 never having been removed from my pocket since 2.50pm.
    5.20pm - 6.29pm send and receive another 17 BBM messages.
    6.29pm Z10 shuts down with complete battery failure!!!!!!

8am to 6.29pm with little or no use of the phone?

Now tell me one other mobile phone on the market with such a **** battery inside it?
    05-16-13 03:35 PM
    Just pure speculation here but maybe the Q10, or Q5 or the R10, or the EIEIO 10?

Just a guess mind you
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 03:49 PM
    You should have bought a PB OS phone, they're so good they don't need any updates and the battery lasts all day
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 03:51 PM
    You should have bought a PB OS phone, they're so good they don't need any updates and the battery lasts all day
    I know I know! This crap battery in the Z10 wouldn't be able to power an old Nokia 8210 let alone a smartphone!
    05-16-13 03:57 PM
    I know I know! This crap battery in the Z10 wouldn't be able to power an old Nokia 8210 let alone a smartphone!
    pass me another beer Sad old man. and then another and then another enough to forget the playbook woes lol
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 05:26 PM
    Well, looking around I don't see any mention of the PB today, guess Thorsten is a f***ing liar since he tweeted that Tablet Plans would be updated today.
    Thorsten is on Twitter? What's his handle?
    05-16-13 05:29 PM
    Mine went pretty comfortably for 17 hours yesterday. (long day)
    05-16-13 05:30 PM
    Tension? Is that like BIS removal and bill shock? Or a purchase being told BB10 will land and does not? Or maybe BB virus and security breaches from IOS,Microsoft and Android BBM?
    05-16-13 06:24 PM
    Tension? Is that like BIS removal and bill shock? Or a purchase being told BB10 will land and does not? Or maybe BB virus and security breaches from IOS,Microsoft and Android BBM?
    oh orange your such a cynic I'm sorry you've been hurt before
    05-16-13 06:48 PM
    Good laugh SOM. Bluetooth sucks the guts out of mobile devices. Be interesting to redo your day with BT off.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 06:55 PM
    I understand that BBRY can't make any money off of selling tablets when others sell them for nothing and get their money back with content, not including Apple who does both. But they still need to honor the one they did sell even if it is 2 years old especially when they constantly talked of updates and upgrades. It's coming soon, around the corner, on the other side, in the back seat and on and on.

No they string everyone on knowing full well that they weren't going to do crap for it anymore. Yep a little tension built up over 2 years of waiting on lies.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 05-16-13 at 07:27 PM. Reason: tension missing words
    FF22 likes this.
    05-16-13 07:25 PM
    I think fearless leader, Thor, is quite serious about tablets being a dead end in 5 years but to wait it out while others establish their presence might be an issue. Then, again, as I wrote elsewhere, if they really can't compete with Apple and all of the various android tablets and make any money, I guess it makes sense to abandon a tablet platform. As others have been suggesting the last day or two - maybe rim/bbry is going the software/cloud route and will give up hardware entirely.
    You mean the rest of the tablets will be able to use BBM but no luck for the Playbook owners because the future of tablet will be dead in 5 years? With all due respect Mr Thor, millions of us are using the Playbooks now, Let's not Marty Mcfly us.
    05-16-13 08:41 PM
    You mean the rest of the tablets will be able to use BBM but no luck for the Playbook owners because the future of tablet will be dead in 5 years? With all due respect Mr Thor, millions of us are using the Playbooks now, Let's not Marty Mcfly us.
    I've read one or two reports (no links) that bbm will only be available for phones and not tablets. I have no idea if those stores can be limited in sales like that or maybe bbm could check what device and not play on other tablets - kind of like webpages force things to mobile view or won't work on some tablets.
    05-16-13 10:10 PM
    I've read one or two reports (no links) that bbm will only be available for phones and not tablets. I have no idea if those stores can be limited in sales like that or maybe bbm could check what device and not play on other tablets - kind of like webpages force things to mobile view or won't work on some tablets.
    Don't the same apps in the Android and apple world always work on both?
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    05-17-13 06:34 AM
    No, they can be chosen by the developer

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 07:10 AM
    As far as I've been told,

BB10 is coming to the PB. It's very far along. But right now it isn't as snappy and has some limitations due to RAM.

They have internal builds. The development had a delayed start and wasn't assigned to a PM until late.

Post PB, no one at RIM has done more than a very tough POC of a new tablet. They are short on qualified resources (all allocated) and don't want to over hire again and let people go when work dwindles.

Alec might stay silent for a while still as his initial deck would be technically incorrect and he wouldn't be able to present the slides.

At least that's what I've been told.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and MasterOfBinary like this.
    05-17-13 07:15 AM
59 123