For those of us who remembered that the 15th was when Thorsten stated that tablet plans would be updated....

Can you feel it? The tension of knowing that tomorrow our hopes could be either vindicated or utterly destroyed?

Did you tout the greatness of your tablet to all the iSheep and Google Robots you came across?

Did you encourage friends and family to support a struggling company that fit the values you believe in?

I guess tomorrow we find out if it was worth it......

BlackBerry is the only phone company that fit the values I believe in. A semi controlled mostly open market. But I also believe in honoring your word. A company I cannot trust to be honorable, I cannot trust fits my values. Guess tomorrow I find out whether I even continue existing in the world of people with personal cell phones and tablets. Cause I will not get anything apple, nor will I ever get anything that is Google. Closed gardens and data mines disguised as completely free markets do not fit my values.

Maybe I will start my own phone company. Call it Crayberry. Logo will be a Crayfish in "berry" (pregnant; they look like they have little blackberries under their tail). Give Away phone service for free. Charge like 20 bucks for 600 dollar phones. Bring back the idea of loss leaders, providing service to consumers regardless of the loss in capital, because consumers need free communication like we still need unmanipulated media. Since we don't have unmanipulated media, it's even more imperative that we can communicate freely to get the stories that are not reported, the unspun reports of eyewitnesses straight from their own mouths.

Aww...pipe dreams....sorry to pontificate for a moment there.....

Anyways. Tension, yes? I already have a hard time sleeping, this is just making it worse lol....

Can you feel it?
    crimsonking, eldricho and kbz1960 like this.
    05-15-13 03:20 AM
    The end. Playbook is dead. It's as good as it will ever be with the garbage air browser and crippled bridge.
    05-15-13 03:31 AM
    The end. Playbook is dead. It's as good as it will ever be with the garbage air browser and crippled bridge.
    Well, unless you are a BB employee breaking an NDA I can't go on your speculation and neither can any other rational, objective individual, now can we? Tomorrow, we will see.....maybe all the negative nellies like you will be eating those words.

Frankly the evidence either way is too strong to decide, objectively, whether it will happen or not. You have it stated unequivocally that it will come to the PB, stories of PBs with BB10 being tested in the wild, even a statement that tablet plans will be updated today, the 15th. But you also have cushion pieces about BB10 being too powerful for PB, Thorsten directly avoiding questions about it yesterday, and the complete absence of a developer beta or a real date for its release. This is not all of he evidence for either side, just a few examples.

Prognosticate onward, in your negative way. But I will hold out for tomorrow, and what word should be coming, if Thorsten and BlackBerry are interested in keeping their word and consumers trust.

Oh and my Bridge still works awesome, but I dont have phone service anymore nor the cash to outright buy a Z10 or Q10, and if I did I wouldn't buy one until my PB was updated to BB10.

It's not a status thing for me, technology, so upgrading hardware isn't really top priority. It's function within a system I approve of. If something exists, but there is no system in which it exists by values I approve, I stop supporting it. PB 2.1 is a system that was built by a company who's values I approved of. I will probably still use my PB, because it's still functioning hardware built on values I approve of. But not BB10, which would, to me, be a system built upon dishonor towards consumers. Definitely not something I support.

Don't forget, the macro is equivalent to the micro, what you will accept today in small quantities you will accept in the future in its largest, most perverted incarnations.
    Last edited by ThaSwapMeetPimp; 05-15-13 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Clarification of position
    KermEd likes this.
    05-15-13 04:08 AM
    Suggest that all interested parties tweet @asaunders

With enough volume, he may reply.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 06:43 AM
    I've had money set aside for a PlayBook... waiting...and crossing my fingers....

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 06:44 AM
    Well, unless you are a BB employee breaking an NDA I can't go on your speculation and neither can any other rational, objective individual, now can we? Tomorrow, we will see.....maybe all the negative nellies like you will be eating those words.

Frankly the evidence either way is too strong to decide, objectively, whether it will happen or not. You have it stated unequivocally that it will come to the PB, stories of PBs with BB10 being tested in the wild, even a statement that tablet plans will be updated today, the 15th. But you also have cushion pieces about BB10 being too powerful for PB, Thorsten directly avoiding questions about it yesterday, and the complete absence of a developer beta or a real date for its release. This is not all of he evidence for either side, just a few examples.

Prognosticate onward, in your negative way. But I will hold out for tomorrow, and what word should be coming, if Thorsten and BlackBerry are interested in keeping their word and consumers trust.

Oh and my Bridge still works awesome, but I dont have phone service anymore nor the cash to outright buy a Z10 or Q10, and if I did I wouldn't buy one until my PB was updated to BB10.

It's not a status thing for me, technology, so upgrading hardware isn't really top priority. It's function within a system I approve of. If something exists, but there is no system in which it exists by values I approve, I stop supporting it. PB 2.1 is a system that was built by a company who's values I approved of. I will probably still use my PB, because it's still functioning hardware built on values I approve of. But not BB10, which would, to me, be a system built upon dishonor towards consumers. Definitely not something I support.

Don't forget, the macro is equivalent to the micro, what you will accept today in small quantities you will accept in the future in its largest, most perverted incarnations.
    you mean today we will.see
    05-15-13 07:35 AM
    BB10 for PlayBook is not a "make or break" thing for me.

My new 64 GB PlayBook will be delivered today and out-of-the-box it will be able to do things that iOS and Android tablets cannot.

Even if it never gets another OS update, I can see myself using it for a year or two, at least. I think that will be more than enough time to make my $190 investment worth it.

The PlayBook is a great device that, in spite of poor implementation and support from the company that made it, is still one of the best 7" tablets out there at its current price. That's a sad testament to the state of "innovation" in the tablet market over the past 2 years.
    05-15-13 09:08 AM
    Listen, even the dead can be treated with respect and dignity and their family members (pb owners) similarly treated.

I do believe that the pb is probably dead or a dead end for Rim/bbry but that does not mean they won't give it a wake sometime SOON.

They or Thor or the Board or bean counters have determined that taking on the successful Apple and the wide variety of Android tablets will not work. I can accept that. Just finish it off gracefully is all I ask and fix the damn Bridge so that I have a reason to upgrade my bb phone to another bb phone. Frankly, with the loss of Bridge and BIS (data compression, filtered email), I have fewer reasons to stick with BB.
    05-15-13 09:27 AM
    Listen, even the dead can be treated with respect and dignity and their family members (pb owners) similarly treated.

I do believe that the pb is probably dead or a dead end for Rim/bbry but that does not mean they won't give it a wake sometime SOON.

They or Thor or the Board or bean counters have determined that taking on the successful Apple and the wide variety of Android tablets will not work. I can accept that. Just finish it off gracefully is all I ask and fix the damn Bridge so that I have a reason to upgrade my bb phone to another bb phone. Frankly, with the loss of Bridge and BIS (data compression, filtered email), I have fewer reasons to stick with BB.
    That about sums it up perfectly F2. At least you have the knowledge now to make a decision! I was given no information or indication that bridge would be disabled in bb10 before I upgraded so I feel your annoyance it is nowhere near my annoyance!!!!!!!!!! Bb are full of bull**** and I downloaded 10.1 this morning on my Z10. A small part of the fix was supposed to be individual ring tones and notification tones for contacts. It didn't work in 10.0 and surprisingly it still doesn't work in 10.1 even though it's stated in the update specs on the BB site. I am at a point now where if Thor said to me at 2am in the morning "its dark outside Mike", I would go outside and look for myself. They have introduced pin to pin messaging and calls into the hub? Why it's already in BBM? And as a throw away gift we get skype, please forgive me but fu**ING whhhoooooppppeeeeee . Can I please have a phone that works properly instead of keep introducing more unnecessary useless software that is unfinished and doesn't work!

Yet again RIM/BB whatever you decide to call yourself to hide from the truth, you have screwed up big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dig yourself out of this hole if you can?
    JeepBB and blueberrymerry like this.
    05-15-13 10:15 AM
    S_O_M you can't dig out of a hole. If try to dig your self out just go deeper. You have to climb out. In BlackBerry's case it seems that they climb 3/4 of the way out and fall back in. Maybe BlackBerry will figure out that this is a now society and people will not wait for up dates, devices, Apps, tables, fixes, ect. With out moving on. Thats what happened to them in the first place and they are playing the same old tune.
    05-15-13 01:43 PM
    Thing that seems rather common, yet seems to be suggested is quite limited to RIM / BlackBerry, being the supposed fury and disappointment in their user audience, the reality being it's probably a trivial demographic.

As a recently previous Nokia user / customer, there's nothing new under the sun, here. Huge swathes of forum residents were livid with the fvckwittery of Nokia with Symbian Belle and maps post 3.06, but they didn't listen, either...
    dphjeff likes this.
    05-15-13 03:32 PM
    Well, looking around I don't see any mention of the PB today, guess Thorsten is a f***ing liar since he tweeted that Tablet Plans would be updated today. Not getting my hopes up with this anymore, and BB will no longer receive any of my money, nor will any devs developing for it. I suggest the same to everyone else.

I don't take to being burnt very well. Peace Crackberry. I'm out.
    05-15-13 07:44 PM

Are you telling me you are still considering a new bb phone?....How much bull$$$$ do you need....
    FF22 likes this.
    05-15-13 08:10 PM
    Well, looking around I don't see any mention of the PB today, guess Thorsten is a f***ing liar since he tweeted that Tablet Plans would be updated today. Not getting my hopes up with this anymore, and BB will no longer receive any of my money, nor will any devs developing for it. I suggest the same to everyone else.

I don't take to being burnt very well. Peace Crackberry. I'm out.

I thought they were.....There are no Tablet update plans....
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-15-13 08:12 PM
    I honestly thought they would be announcing the death knell for the PB version 1, and announcing plans for the new better version 2. Seems they are sticking with the "let's ignore it, and it may go away" theory. I wonder if any of our Crack Team will have the balls to ask TH at Blackberry Live? On camera? Doubt it.
    JeepBB and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    05-15-13 08:17 PM
    Are you telling me you are still considering a new bb phone?....How much bull$$$$ do you need....
    If they restore the BRIDGE SUITE I'd be more interested. I have not been following the bb10 phone forums very closely so I don't know all of their discovered, shall we say QUIRKS. But if I need a new phone, I would seriously have to consider the full range of what's out there and how it fits with what I want/need.
    dphjeff and bambinoitaliano like this.
    05-15-13 09:22 PM
    I honestly thought they would be announcing the death knell for the PB version 1, and announcing plans for the new better version 2. Seems they are sticking with the "let's ignore it, and it may go away" theory. I wonder if any of our Crack Team will have the balls to ask TH at Blackberry Live? On camera? Doubt it.
    I think fearless leader, Thor, is quite serious about tablets being a dead end in 5 years but to wait it out while others establish their presence might be an issue. Then, again, as I wrote elsewhere, if they really can't compete with Apple and all of the various android tablets and make any money, I guess it makes sense to abandon a tablet platform. As others have been suggesting the last day or two - maybe rim/bbry is going the software/cloud route and will give up hardware entirely.
    05-15-13 09:25 PM
    I wonder if any of our Crack Team will have the balls to ask TH at Blackberry Live? On camera?
    So far, none... I believe...

But what I really like with CB teams is, they are applying what my ex-politician uncle principle i.e. if you cannot convince them, confuse them...

Posted via Z10
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-15-13 09:25 PM
    i believe it was Adam somebody who asked Thor the question yesterday that got people believing he abandoned spending money towards putting BB10 on the Playbook in favor of spending money on the "future" vision. I thought Adam was part of Crackberry's team but am not sure.
    05-15-13 10:02 PM
    So F2 your saying that the Z10, Q10 and Q5 are life preservers for BlackBerry. When they switch from hardware to software there going to drop those products like the playbook. Its to little to late to compete with Apple and Android in any market. H3ll BlackBerry is almost an android device anyway.
    05-15-13 10:45 PM
    The sad thing about all this....Even if they actually update the playbook to Os10 (as they said they would and the 'timetable' they insinuated (summer to end of 2013))...they have F$$$ed up how this 'looks' so badly, that I really doubt they can keep the ship from hitting the iceberg... and before any fanboys rush to their defence.....WAKEUP!...Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...oh and before i forget. Soylent Green is Humans....

couldn't resist....
    05-15-13 10:53 PM
    So F2 your saying that the Z10, Q10 and Q5 are life preservers for BlackBerry. When they switch from hardware to software there going to drop those products like the playbook. Its to little to late to compete with Apple and Android in any market. H3ll BlackBerry is almost an android device anyway.
    No, I'm merely restating, poorly perhaps, what some other folks have suggested. I clearly have no idea what they plan or why they plan. There must be something in the idea of providing bbm to other platforms. I was really never used it much as my phone was personal and not many people I know had bb's. I only joined a bbm group from here on CB not that long ago - for some help, some commiseration and some kibbitzing. But others swear by it - why take something so unique to bb and share it - Thor has clearly stated he wants a return on investment - there must be some aim.
    dphjeff likes this.
    05-15-13 11:34 PM
    I understand what you saying. I can see the writing on the wall of thats were its heading for Blackberry. BlackBerry could at least throw us users a bone and let us know about some of the questions that have been asked in this forum. Its not like Apple and Android think BlackBerry is going to rule the market on Smart Phones. That time has past a long time ago.
    05-16-13 12:15 AM
    So let's get this straight, the growth market for tablets is currently huge, but rather than cashing in on this with an already proven bit of kit, which would have provided yet another income stream for BB with no doubt more sales on the back of an update. What does he do? That's right, he's decided to dis the whole tablet market as dying, whilst kicking the existing fan base squarely between the legs. [sarcam]Genius[/sarcam]
    05-16-13 05:53 AM
    So let's get this straight, the growth market for tablets is currently huge, but rather than cashing in on this with an already proven bit of kit, which would have provided yet another income stream for BB with no doubt more sales on the back of an update. What does he do? That's right, he's decided to dis the whole tablet market as dying, whilst kicking the existing fan base squarely between the legs. [sarcam]Genius[/sarcam]
    No, he will sell a large phone in the holiday quarter which he can command $$ for as the market is paying for phones versus tablets. Playbook gets dumped and stays with old software so anyone who wants a tablet type device running OS10 will buy the phone instead.
    Then he makes money off licensing the software (ie cars) as well as all the other ways he currently makes money (the server services etc). He also makes money off selling advertising or sponsorships on BBM the way Google/Facebook are making money. The ship has sailed that Blackberry hardware will be king as Apple and Android are too far ahead so he has to find a way to make money off those users. In time, perhaps he hopes more of those users will swing back to Blackberry.

To my mind, only Apple has demonstrated reliability with having software work on their older hardware for at least a 3 year lifespan, so I am going to take that into account when I think about making my buying decisions in the future.
    CairnsRock and kevinnugent like this.
    05-16-13 06:23 AM
59 123