Hello everyone,

I'm tempted to buy myself a PB as a Christmas present as I've seen the 16GB version for �106 ('As new') I'm new to Blackberry and Tablets so I have a few questions;

1. Is there a good Youtube app (I'm used to the one on my Android phone and really like it)
    2. Is the Tweetcaster app on the PB?
    3. Can I easily access my gmail using the PB?
    4. Can I log into my Tumblr blog and use all/most of the functions?
    5. Is the tune.in app available on PB?

Anything else I should know before buying?

Thanks in advance.
    12-15-12 07:50 PM
    1.The YouTube app is acceptable, but I much prefer using the website. The browser handles it excellently and you get the full-fledged YouTube experience.

2. As far as I know, there is no native Tweetcaster, but I've heard that the Android version can be successfully sideloaded. But once again, I use the full-fledged browser version of Twitter with no issues.

3. GMail should work with the Messages app, or with the online version, without any issues. I haven't tried it personally however.

4. Never tried Tumblr, can't comment on that.

5. Unfortunately there is no TuneIn app. I use TuneIn on my 9810 and this rather disappointed me, but I recently heard that the browser version works excellently. If you still need an app, Nobex Radio is supposed to be quite good, and free.

Otherwise, it's a good device but don't expect very many apps. The excellent browser can make up for a lot of them but nevertheless. Also, if you're a physical keyboard man I highly recommend getting the Mini Keyboard. If not, the only other accessory I'd recommend is the Rapid Charger - it charges it quicker, obviously, and also prevents you from breaking the microUSB port.
    12-15-12 08:08 PM
    i can't really comment on your questions but as a recent playbook purchaser, (i got a 64gigger for $150/usd @ the office depot fire sale a few weeks ago), i don't think you can, in any way, go wrong for that price, considering the alternatives,($300-$600usd) for other options,,, & i think you will be pleasantly surprised with what it can do plus you get bb10 for free later,,, that alone is worth the price of admission...
    12-15-12 08:20 PM
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. I think I'm going to go ahead and order Looking forward to playing around with it on Christmas day.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-15-12 08:23 PM
    Thats a lot of ��� just for the 16 gig, PCworld Currys (UK) are selling the 64 gig Playbook for �129. Brand new.
    12-15-12 08:26 PM
    On a bit of a tight budget and 16GB is fine for what I need.
    12-15-12 08:27 PM
    Trust me, its not fine. Once you start loading up apps and games, it's going to go real fast. Put the 20 quid extra and get yourself a 64gb.
    Carl Estes and jmhbluenose like this.
    12-15-12 08:36 PM
    Yea that's true, you can fill up the PlayBook storage real fast if you're a heavy app or media consumer. But my 32GB has barely any of its storage used up, I'm a pretty light user and I could have gotten away with a 16GB, but they didn't have any in stock. All depends on your usage.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    lbouslog likes this.
    12-15-12 08:55 PM
    Trust me, its not fine. Once you start loading up apps and games, it's going to go real fast. Put the 20 quid extra and get yourself a 64gb.
    I have to agree. I bought the 16Gig on firesale as it was the least expensive and it soon became full.

wish I'd dug a little deeper and got the big one.

Why rim didn't include a micro SD slot... that's a whole other debate for another thread.

Congrats on our decision to purcahse a playbook, you won't regret it. I've used mine every day I'm sure since I bought it.

It's a super usable, extremely versitile machine.

I'm currently set up in my living room, sideloaded pandora app playing music through my entertainment system. HDMI cable to my flat screen, and I' posted on the couch with bluetooth keyboard and mouse broswing CB through the forums app.

If it could fetch me a beer it would be the perfect device! Maybe in V2?
    12-15-12 08:57 PM
    I have the 32 and its totally acceptable. My wife has the 16 and she does just fine with it. It all depends on what you do with it. 16gb would nowhere near cut it for me but, I love me some apps and I tend to download a lot of video podcasts.
    12-15-12 09:02 PM
    Will mainly be using it to browse the web and use a few apps. It's basically for when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to use my desktop lol.

Thanks for the all the replies. I'll report back with my impressions after Christmas day.
    12-15-12 09:08 PM
    Will mainly be using it to browse the web and use a few apps. It's basically for when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to use my desktop lol.

Thanks for the all the replies. I'll report back with my impressions after Christmas day.
    You may start with that, but you'll soon find a boat load of other uses. Example, I loaded topographical maps on mine and took it 40 miles into the bush deer hunting today.
    12-15-12 11:03 PM
    You may start with that, but you'll soon find a boat load of other uses. Example, I loaded topographical maps on mine and took it 40 miles into the bush deer hunting today.
    Hot damn! A PlayBook for dear hunting. I hear of new uses all the time but THIS I never even thought of. You win the PlayBook use of the week prize
    12-15-12 11:12 PM
    You don't need an app for tunein radio. Just open your browser and enter tunein.com and you can access all of its content. The playbook is not like most other tablets, it has true multitasking so tunein runs in the background while you do other tasks. You can also side load a YouTube app but I prefer to use the Web browser as it is the same as browsing on your PC.

12-16-12 08:13 AM
    Hi, i apologize for my awful english. I'm an owner of a motorola atrix phone, do you know if is it possible to tether it wifi to a playbook, to use my phone card to go in internet?
    Do the playbook supports 3g stick?
    Is there a good built in software for car navigator like navigon, tomtom, ecc..?
    Thanks a lot for who will answer to me. Good bye.
    12-16-12 09:44 AM
    Just to echo others here, 16gigs will fill up quickly, it's ok for the Mrs, bought mine one and it's still empty and she loves it! Filled up my first playbook up pretty quickly, it was a 16!
    12-16-12 11:24 AM
    Hi, i apologize for my awful english. I'm an owner of a motorola atrix phone, do you know if is it possible to tether it wifi to a playbook, to use my phone card to go in internet?
    Do the playbook supports 3g stick?
    Is there a good built in software for car navigator like navigon, tomtom, ecc..?
    Thanks a lot for who will answer to me. Good bye.
    The currently ON-SALE Playbook (pb) only supports wifi and does not have a sim card slot. There is a new model available in Canada and maybe England (???) that does have cellular support (NOT a phone) for the internet/email. There are some gps programs but the general consensus is that we could use something better. Oh, and welcome.
    Giuseppe70 likes this.
    12-16-12 11:26 AM
    16 GB is enough if you just have an album or two of music and couple of movies. I have a 32 GB one and it is more than enough. If you think you can do fine with a 16GB, you can do fine.
    12-16-12 11:31 AM
    On a bit of a tight budget and 16GB is fine for what I need.
    Nice, if you are on a tight budget. Honestly, the 16GB may soon become too limited for your use. I think with a few pounds extra the 64Gb, now at 120pds may be a better solution. PB is great, has great Apps and the video camera is fantastic.
    der_mit likes this.
    12-16-12 11:59 AM
    Exactly, My original reply was just to highlight the valu for money aspect, The OP wants to buy a 16 Gig PB for �116 - but for just �23 more he could buy a brand new 64 Gig Playbook , he would be getting so much more memory for just a few pounds,
    Nothing wrong with 16 gigs or 32 gigs, but I find you can never have too much memory.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    12-16-12 12:18 PM

I have a BlackBerry PlayBook (16GB) strictly for personal-use to browse the web, watch a few movies (streamed and on-board), play a few games, and listen to music (streamed and on-board). The tablet is fine and since I am not storing my entire movie collection on the tablet at any given time the 16GB (approximately 14GB usable) work perfectly well. For my professional-use BlackBerry PlayBooks I have a 32GB (BlackBerry Leather Executive Case) and 64GB (BlackBerry Convertible Case with BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard) and to be honest with most of my documents stored either on the microSD card of my BlackBerry Bold 9700 and in an internal network knowledge/document management system accessible via web browser both in my home office and away from the office, these tablets have plenty of unused on-board storage capacity remaining.
    00stryder likes this.
    12-16-12 12:27 PM
    It all depends on users. I have 16gb one and I have about 200 songs and a few lecture videos from iTunes U, and there are still 9.8 GB left. It's more than enough. I most of the times stream videos on youtube or browser. I have some amount of apps, but not too many. I bet there will be quite a bit of people like me.
    12-16-12 12:39 PM
    To answer your questions like others have done tune in radio - no Nobex yes, and its pretty much the same app!
    12-16-12 02:54 PM
    I need the hdmi cord. That would open a world of additional functionality for my playbook. I really can't put it down because it so efficient.
    12-16-12 04:22 PM
    I need the hdmi cord. That would open a world of additional functionality for my playbook. I really can't put it down because it so efficient.
    Check out DealExtreme - Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - DX Free Shipping Worldwide. They have hdmi cables for the PB for $5 or so.
    12-16-12 09:53 PM
47 12