03-10-16 11:30 PM
48 12
tools
    Funny thing I thought about getting one today for my sideline work. I figured it would be valid for emailing clients, keeping finances, YouTube, surfing the web, and probably cheap.

I'm not a Apple fan and losing love for Android and wanting to go BlackBerry again.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    02-15-16 09:24 PM
    Had a playbook. Loved it. But it is what it is and that,is what you must understand. As an extension to your phone and extra arrows in your quiver, I found it to be extremely useful, paired with my 9370 curve. When I got my z30, that changed. Everything I could do on the playbook, I could do on the z. Some things better. But slowly I migrated solely to my phone and have since misplaced my playbook at home.

In form and function, it was great, in its time. The near seamless existence with the phone was great. The larger ( than the phone) format was invaluable, but the power of the z rendered it not as appealing.

If you have the opportunity to test drive on first, do it then decide.

Just know what you are getting, how it helps you, how long it will do that and what it's limits are.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-16 11:00 PM
    Funny thing I thought about getting one today for my sideline work. I figured it would be valid for emailing clients, keeping finances, YouTube, surfing the web, and probably cheap.

I'm not a Apple fan and losing love for Android and wanting to go BlackBerry again.
    It's not great for YouTube. Many videos won't play.
    02-15-16 11:21 PM
    I use my 32GB playbook primarily as an alarm clock and with KalemSoft video player to watch downloaded movies and TV shows. Okay for ebooks. I got mine on Ebay for $50. For a 64GB model, I wouldn't pay more than $75.
    02-16-16 12:15 AM
    I use it all the time when travelling. Great for watching movies and reading magazines on the plane
    02-16-16 01:30 AM
    It's not great for YouTube. Many videos won't play.
    Have you tried using Simple Browser instead and setting it's agent ID to IE?
    Works a treat...

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 06:47 PM
    Have you tried using Simple Browser instead and setting it's agent ID to IE?
    Works a treat...

Posted via CB10
    I hadn't heard of Simple Browser, so just went and looked on BBWorld and downloaded it. Set the User Agent ID to IE as you recommend and then went to YouTube.com (you have to use Google apparently, you can't enter a new URL in the address bar). The Google search results came up, I tapped on YouTube.com and then got a big error message that my browser is no longer supported. I went back and tried setting it to iPad and it seems to work ok, but I don't really care for this browser.
    02-16-16 06:59 PM
    want to watch a movie or look at pictures its fine ( be carefull of format though )
    beyond that its pretty well useless.
    02-17-16 07:35 AM
    I hadn't heard of Simple Browser, so just went and looked on BBWorld and downloaded it. Set the User Agent ID to IE as you recommend and then went to YouTube.com (you have to use Google....)
    Actually you don't need to sign into Google... Yes, you will get a message intended to encourage you to get another browser... ignore it and simply type a search item into the YouTube search box, select a hit then maximise the playback mode and enjoy....

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 01:42 PM
    want to watch a movie or look at pictures its fine ( be carefull of format though )
    beyond that its pretty well useless.
    Well, it is called Simple Browser... but it has some neat configuration options...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BoneMatrix; 02-18-16 at 03:34 AM.
    02-17-16 01:44 PM
    Well, it is called Simple Browser... but it has some neat configuration options...

Posted via CB10
    I was talking about the playbook
    02-18-16 10:48 PM
    I use mine but for 150 you wull be let down. Unless you got money to burn and are still running a 9700 or 9900 then maybe you will be happier.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 06:53 PM
    Weird. I am also interested in buying a Playbook. Yeah, I know it's really late in the game but after reading some of the threads I will for the right price. Over a week ago I dropped my Z30 in the toilet and after leaving it in rice for a week (and some other attempts to dry it out) all I could get out of it was restoration through BB Link and a not-so-recent backup. However the touch capabilities are compromised. I can use it but it has clearly been damaged so I have purchased a new screen kit to replace it. I love the Z30. It's the best phone I've ever had and I want another one to stash away, but after my mishap my boss bought me a Passport (my choice) and I am just waiting to receive it in a couple of days.

The shape of the Passport has held no appeal for me. I don't like the square corners and I can live without a PKB (or not, apparently, since I had a Torch before that) but I have used a Passport before (my friend's) and it is another awesome BB, so that's why I chose that. I wasn't aware of the SE Edition until after I had purchased the original because that would have been more appealing to me, but having my Z30 I haven't even been interested in whatever else is going on with BB Phones because I had found my perfect phone. I am not even sure if the AT&T version would have worked for me in the Caribbean and I don't think I want to find out now since I missed that boat, but I chose the (original) Passport knowing I didn't like its squareness and I will get over that.

Now, why a Playbook? I want a tablet and actually plan to buy a Galaxy in the summer but for the functions it still has (and not as a coaster or bedside alarm) I might still get one, and I have a 7-year-old kid who would like to have a tablet for games, movies, music etc. So, for a reasonable price, why not?

My friends chide and mock me because I still use BB. They have no clue. They think BB is extinct and scoff when you tell them how great it is, but my Z30 is still my favourite and best phone ever. I hope once I get used to my Passport I will think the same. I had to choose another BB to replace my Z30. Is there a Hub anywhere else? I won't give it up. I love it and I love BB in general, so despite it's age and limitations, I will get my Playbook. And at the very least, I'll have another alarm clock when it dies.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    02-20-16 06:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Origami browser still works with youtube too. I have mine set to chrome and ipad and the mobile version of youtube works without issue.
    02-22-16 09:11 AM
    Well I pulled the trigger this weekend and purchased at 32GB for 50.00. So let's see how this experience works out for me.
    BoneMatrix likes this.
    02-22-16 06:29 PM
    Well, I've just bought a PlayBook about two weeks ago for $54. Beside playing superb streaming of YouTube films, personal ones, music and ebook reading, I never knew I could actually use it to write very long pages of short stories and translation jobs--using the virtual keyboard, no less! It's unbelievably fast and accurate, unlike any VKB I've ever tried from android and/or Apple. Which makes me originally a PKB die hard.

This has got me thinking of getting a Z3. Just for the joy of VKB typing. I've already got a Z10 (now rocked by my wife), Q10, Passport and, of course, a PlayBook.

I'm so happy my thumbs are no longer cramping from typing on the ever stiff keyboard of the OG Passport. I can type so fast now, almost as fast as the streaming of words in my mind.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 02-23-16 at 08:05 AM.
    02-23-16 05:41 AM
    I'm still using a playbook, its great. Newer cheap tablets might work better but they come with endlessly-updating, data-munching spyware gifts, I can not even tolerate it.

But I agree you should not have to pay $150. For me, it would be worth $150 easy, if I didnt have a way to get one cheaper. Get the rapid charger cradle as soon as you can, it cant be beat.
    02-23-16 09:30 AM
    Well, I've just bought a PlayBook about two weeks ago for $54. Beside playing superb streaming of YouTube films, personal ones, music and ebook reading, I never knew I could actually use it to write very long pages of short stories and translation jobs--using the virtual keyboard, no less! It's unbelievably fast and accurate, unlike any VKB I've ever tried from android and/or Apple.
    Not sure what it is, but I too still find the virtual keyboard the easiest to type on. My Android tab seems so much harder, despite having the swipe keyboard and being the same size. Only the iPad comes close really.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    02-23-16 08:02 PM
    As an owner and seldom user, I would highly advise not spending over $50 or you will be severely disappointed. It is indeed groovy and as my only tablet I do use it once or twice a month... however, I can't picture myself spending more than I have on it.

Unless you're from a place where no other devices are sold and you were absolutely determined that you needed the playbook for a specific app, I wouldn't suggest it.

I still play around with it as an in car dash 'mobile hotspot' my Passport. And I use it when I'm in front of the TV watching something while my Passport is charging in the other room.

If the Playbook somehow had whatsapp and the hub, I'd pay for its service, but at its current state, fat chance!

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 12:34 AM
    anything over $10. Is wasting $
    03-05-16 10:56 PM
    I just bought the 1.5 ghz PlayBook for $80 plus shipping. It's my only Internet other than my z10 it is tethered to. Z10 is better on Internet. I bought my z10 a bluetooth keyboard and a HDMI tv screen monitor. Keyboard works with PlayBook but I have not found a Bluetooth mouse that works with PlayBook yet.

Mac's Z10 or PlayBook
    BoneMatrix likes this.
    03-09-16 09:57 PM
    If you plan to use for basic use (video and music, pictures). That's about all I use mine for nowadays...

Posted via Passport Running 10.3.2.2876
    03-10-16 01:10 PM
    The playbook however interesting, has basically become a movie player for my kids, I had to buy a special charger as the mini USB port no linger works

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 11:30 PM
48 12