I know this is crazy talk, but hear me out.

A week and a half ago I bought a 64 GB PlayBook. I've owned a PlayBook before, but I sold it because I had access to a work-issued iPad at the time.

When I changed jobs I was without a tablet for several months, and after months of research and mulling it over, I decided to get another PlayBook. Turns out, I'm very happy with my PB and think it's a fantastic value for my money. I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.

When I had my first PlayBook, my mobile phone was a BlackBerry Curve 8530 and I really enjoyed using Bridge with my PB. I though it was particularly great to be able to control my PB via my phone.

Soon after I ditched my first PlayBook, I also ditched my Curve for a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is my phone today. However, for many reasons, I am seriously considering selling my Galaxy Nexus and going back to my old Curve, which I still have. Here are a few reasons:

• I can put the cash I get for my Gnex towards saving up to buy an unlocked Z10 or Q10.
    • I don't agree with Google's philosophy of treating individuals' information like a commodity to be harvested and sold to the highest bidder. I knew this when I bought my Gnex, and I've been able to ignore my nagging conscience until now because of all the nifty things my phone can do, but the fact that Google is using my phone to track and gather as much information as it can about me 24/7 is rather unnerving.
    • Bridge!!!
    • I feel like I need to cut back on my media consumption for a while, and it's hard to do with a Gnex in my pocket!

If you think I'm crazy, please tell me, because I'm trying to talk myself out of it.
    05-24-13 05:48 PM
    No, your not crazy. Sounds very sensible to me. Good luck with your transition.
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-24-13 05:55 PM
    I actually agree with what you have to say. I however can't make the decision for you. One thing is certain though I have always hated the 8520/8530 series curve. If you would like to switch back feel free, there is nothing wrong with that. But I cannot tell you that downgrading your mobile experience is the best decision.

If you are planning on using the 8530 until you get a z10 or q10 then by all means that's a great idea because it makes the switching devices process much simpler... I went from a bold 9900 to iPhone 5 to bold 9900 to a z10 and I love my z10!

I am completely on the same page as you with The Google philosophy stuff btw

Posted via CB10
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-24-13 05:56 PM
    I would try and get a bold 9900 for around 150.00 - 250.00 as its way better then a curve and sell for more later on when you want to pickup a Z10 as some users will sell Z10 off used for around 250.00-300.00 in about a month or two.
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-24-13 06:01 PM
    You'll know if you were crazy after you finish the Nexus dumping process and have finished evaluating the outcome. If you feel like an ***** afterward, then you did something crazy .

Personally, if that's what you really want, it's not that crazy. Will it have some drawbacks? Sure. But it will also have some advantages, especially since you're using a playbook. Also as you say, your about to receive a significant monetary return for the switch, and if you put this money into a Z10 or Q10 for the future, or even the codenamed Aristo super phone from BlackBerry coming later this year, then it's it crazy at all . That is, if you prefer the BlackBerry 10 experience over that of Android. Personally I do .

Enjoy the nostalgic experience. Sometimes I feel like rocking out an 83xx or whatever just because it feels good, but then I'd always go back to my Z lol. Older bbos phones are so iconic. I wouldn't mind collecting them, I find they're really cool.

Posted via CB10
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-24-13 06:03 PM
    Thanks, guys. I'm charging up the old Curve now. I'll tinker with it a bit and see if I really want to do this.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense (to me).

Of the 150 apps I have on my Gnex, I'd say I use about 10-15 on a regular basis, so apps are not a huge concern to me. I'm not entrenched in the Google ecosystem - I do have a Google account, obviously, but I haven't put all my eggs in one basket with all their services. For example, my primary web-based email account is through Outlook.com, my preferred cloud storage service is SkyDrive, I don't use Google Voice, I haven't purchased anything through Google Play, and I could easily use MapQuest, or Bing Maps instead of Google Maps.

This might be a good test to see if I really do want to make the jump back to a BlackBerry phone.
    05-24-13 07:51 PM

A week and a half ago I bought a 64 GB PlayBook. I've owned a PlayBook before, but I sold it because I had access to a work-issued iPad at the time.

When I changed jobs I was without a tablet for several months, and after months of research and mulling it over, I decided to get another PlayBook. Turns out, I'm very happy with my PB and think it's a fantastic value for my money. I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.

When I had my first PlayBook, my mobile phone was a BlackBerry Curve 8530 and I really enjoyed using Bridge with my PB. I though it was particularly great to be able to control my PB via my phone.

Soon after I ditched my first PlayBook, I also ditched my Curve for a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is my phone today. However, for many reasons, I am seriously considering selling my Galaxy Nexus and going back to my old Curve, which I still have. Here are a few reasons:

• I can put the cash I get for my Gnex towards saving up to buy an unlocked Z10 or Q10.
    • I don't agree with Google's philosophy of treating individuals' information like a commodity to be harvested and sold to the highest bidder. I knew this when I bought my Gnex, and I've been able to ignore my nagging conscience until now because of all the nifty things my phone can do, but the fact that Google is using my phone to track and gather as much information as it can about me 24/7 is rather unnerving.
    • Bridge!!!
    • I feel like I need to cut back on my media consumption for a while, and it's hard to do with a Gnex in my pocket!

If you think I'm crazy, please tell me, because I'm trying to talk myself out of it.
    I'm gradually making the transition away from Google and my Gnex thanks to outlook.com, my Q10 and Z10 plus BlackBerry owning friends - now if I can just get my LTE PlayBook off my mum...

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-24-13 08:05 PM
    Oh god even i wouldn't downgrade that low..

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-24-13 10:22 PM
    Port request initiated! Started down the path to a Z10 or Q10.

I've already reconfigured my Curve and reinstalled all my fav apps so it's ready to go when the number finally ports. It might take a while, being a holiday weekend.

The only thing I had to backup from my Gnex was photos, so that gives you an idea of just how underutilized it was.

Using my old Curve again makes me really appreciate the physical keyboard. Sooooo much faster for me. It makes me strongly lean towards a Q10 (or maybe even a Q5).
    05-25-13 08:31 AM
    Port request initiated! Started down the path to a Z10 or Q10.

I've already reconfigured my Curve and reinstalled all my fav apps so it's ready to go when the number finally ports. It might take a while, being a holiday weekend.

The only thing I had to backup from my Gnex was photos, so that gives you an idea of just how underutilized it was.

Using my old Curve again makes me really appreciate the physical keyboard. Sooooo much faster for me. It makes me strongly lean towards a Q10 (or maybe even a Q5).
    All the reasons for downgrading will disappear when you (upgrade) to a bb10 phone. Some people can't seem to understand the importance of bridge but for me it is very important. Not only do I personally consider my Z10 crap, I lost the bridge functions and as far as your nexus is concerned if you move to a bb10 handset either Z or Q then that will be your biggest downgrade of all time. Just spend some time reading the Z10, Q10 forums?

Resurrect your old bb, get bridge working and be happy.
    05-25-13 08:42 AM
    I don't find bridge that useful except for the features available in BlackBerry 10. The internet tether and remote and open on is still there. The rest is all cloud based. Accessing it on a z10 is almost the same as on the playbook for all your PIM data. I don't see the use case as opposed to bbos, where bridge made up for its deficiencies. You want to bbm on your playbook? The experience is crappy and laggy. You want to check bridge email on it? Notes from evernote that are already synced? Calendar and contacts which are again already synced? Text messages also is pretty laggy and buggy.. always remaining unread. The bbm and text message experience sucks IMO unless you really need to use it. Just my thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-25-13 10:28 AM
    I don't find bridge that useful except for the features available in BlackBerry 10. The internet tether and remote and open on is still there. The rest is all cloud based. Accessing it on a z10 is almost the same as on the playbook for all your PIM data. I don't see the use case as opposed to bbos, where bridge made up for its deficiencies. You want to bbm on your playbook? The experience is crappy and laggy. You want to check bridge email on it? Notes from evernote that are already synced? Calendar and contacts which are again already synced? Text messages also is pretty laggy and buggy.. always remaining unread. The bbm and text message experience sucks IMO unless you really need to use it. Just my thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    Hold on there sailor, each to their own. What you find a use for I may not even have heard of but if you hype on soley about the Internet connection you can get that with iPhone or any DROID phone!

I am talking about sms from the pb, Bbm from the pb and all of the rest of the crap thor took away from us, by the way without mentioning it!!!!!!!????

Get a DROID or iPhone then!

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 12:02 PM
    Hold on there sailor, each to their own. What you find a use for I may not even have heard of but if you hype on soley about the Internet connection you can get that with iPhone or any DROID phone!

I am talking about sms from the pb, Bbm from the pb and all of the rest of the crap thor took away from us, by the way without mentioning it!!!!!!!????

Get a DROID or iPhone then!

Posted via CB10
    Lol. I was just portraying my experience and need for it. As I said, I find the sms and bbm experience on pb pretty dismal. I never used it.

Thanks for the recommendation but, I'll stick with my z10. There are far more reasons to choosing BlackBerry other than bridge. And bridge is still there, along with all its important features to boot. You're right, maybe you should get a Droid if the only value you see is bridge.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 12:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't want or need my data duplicated on the pb. I can open my email, check it as well as my calendar and read my Outlook synced memos/notes then end Bridge and hand my pb to a friend or child and not worry about any of that data being in jeopardy as it is secure on the phone and the pb can't even view it. I don't want duplicate data on both devices. Besides, it was a feature that existed - why take it away. And why take it away without even a precursor announcement. GONE. Whoosh. Bridge, what bridge?
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-25-13 02:17 PM
    Lol. I was just portraying my experience and need for it. As I said, I find the sms and bbm experience on pb pretty dismal. I never used it.

Thanks for the recommendation but, I'll stick with my z10. There are far more reasons to choosing BlackBerry other than bridge. And bridge is still there, along with all its important features to boot. You're right, maybe you should get a Droid if the only value you see is bridge.

Posted via CB10
    Listen if you actually do like your Z10 as you stated and you are not just another fanboy, I would suggest you do get another phone either an iPhone or Droid and see what the Z10 is actually trying to very very badly imitate. Oh with the exception that the first two options have 85% more apps than the Z10.

ps there is also a Z10 forum further up the list of forums!
    05-25-13 03:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    When I had my last PB + Curve duo the only bridge functions I ever really used were internet tether and remote. All of my contacts, calendar, etc. are synced over the cloud, so that just seemed redundant. I've never used BBM, and I'm fine with doing SMS phone-side.

So yeah...a Z10/Q10 might be fine for me.

But please tell me they've kept the "phone calls only" setting in BB10 or I'm going to be ticked. Neither iOS nor Android come with this very useful feature that is BUILT IN to my Curve 8530 running BBOS 5!!!
    05-25-13 03:45 PM

• Bridge!!!

Look at me, this is me saying it with a straight face: I consider that as an upgrade.

Whoever laughed first loses.
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-25-13 03:52 PM
    Yeah phone calls only profile is available . Which is great cause I use it all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-25-13 03:53 PM
    Listen if you actually do like your Z10 as you stated and you are not just another fanboy, I would suggest you do get another phone either an iPhone or Droid and see what the Z10 is actually trying to very very badly imitate. Oh with the exception that the first two options have 85% more apps than the Z10.

ps there is also a Z10 forum further up the list of forums!
    Actually, they have 500% more apps lol. That's a lot. I thought you had good knowledge of android and ios...? Thanks but, we are in 2013 and I don't need to have tried an android or ios to know what it's like. By trying I mean buying. Everyone around me has them. Think I've never picked one up? I'm the only person in my immediate family with a BlackBerry of any kind. I guess choosing a BlackBerry for one's own needs isn't valid anymore..

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 03:59 PM
    Port completed. I'm now officially a BlackBerry phone user again. Already tried out the bridge functionality and it works great.

One minor hiccup: syncing shared Google calendars is not supported on legacy BB phones. It only syncs your primary/default calendar. Google discontinued their Google Calendar Sync service a year ago and I haven't been able to find any alternatives or workarounds out there.

It's not a deal-breaker, as my PB supports syncing Google shared calendars, but it's still disappointing that I can't view them all via my phone.
    05-25-13 07:23 PM
    Actually, they have 500% more apps lol. That's a lot. I thought you had good knowledge of android and ios...? Thanks but, we are in 2013 and I don't need to have tried an android or ios to know what it's like. By trying I mean buying. Everyone around me has them. Think I've never picked one up? I'm the only person in my immediate family with a BlackBerry of any kind. I guess choosing a BlackBerry for one's own needs isn't valid anymore..

Posted via CB10
    I own two of them, my son's use them but as I am not an app person it means nothing to me. I just go off ease of use and UI and I am just not as relaxed with them as I am my pb that's all.
    05-26-13 06:59 AM
    I'm posting this on my PlayBook using my Curve's data connection via Bridge. ^_^

Going back to my Curve really has enhanced my PB experience and makes it that much more valuable to me. In some ways it has been a step back, but it's been a huge leap forward in other ways.

It's sad that RIM/BlackBerry did such a poor job of implementing and marketing the PlayBook because no other tablet can do what it does.
    sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    05-27-13 08:21 AM
    Wait til you'll get the Z10, you will love the bb10 experience a lot more, especially with the CB10 app!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 08:54 AM
    Wait til you'll get the Z10, you will love the bb10 experience a lot more, especially with the CB10 app!

Posted via CB10
    I have and I hate it. BB bridge is far more important to me. If it's not important to you then we'll done.
    05-27-13 09:28 AM
    I have and I hate it. BB bridge is far more important to me. If it's not important to you then we'll done.
    Well of course, as with anything that exists in this world, there are always people who dislike certain things. As for me I love it though .

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:53 AM
31 12