How can you not fault them for this. They had no reasonable amount of stock. They only had about 2 or 3 units of each Playbook. They didn't need a sale to get rid of the remaining stock. They didn't offer any online sales. This means they are sending back all of their current warehouse stock. They simple just didn't want to send the ones in their stores back to the warehouse. This is clearance of the current stock in stores before the new OS2 ones are released.
    Blacks is even worse. From what I heard they didn't even have a total of 10 units in all of Canada. Thats just ridiculous.
    exactly. i called 4 stores and one guy was like 'dude we are not getting anymore period"
    lol...
    rjedge54 likes this.
    02-03-12 12:13 PM
    exactly. i called 4 stores and one guy was like 'dude we are not getting anymore period"
    lol...
    The worse part of it was that they where allowed to sell them before the sale even began. Like many have posted they were sold out yesterday before the sale even began. Every limited quantity sale I've ever seen was always in store first come first served with no reservations. I hope they catch some serious heat for this. It's bogus.
    02-03-12 12:19 PM
    How can you not fault them for this. They had no reasonable amount of stock. They only had about 2 or 3 units of each Playbook. They didn't need a sale to get rid of the remaining stock. They didn't offer any online sales. This means they are sending back all of their current warehouse stock. They simple just didn't want to send the ones in their stores back to the warehouse. This is clearance of the current stock in stores before the new OS2 ones are released.
    Blacks is even worse. From what I heard they didn't even have a total of 10 units in all of Canada. Thats just ridiculous.
    A store is allowed to mark-down a product to whatever they would like, regardless of the number of units. They could have 1 product on the shelf and mark it down to move it... I see now issue with that.

On the other hand, if they had advertised this mark-down, then it would be a different story. Please show me anywhere TELUS advertised this sale?

I'll save you the trouble, they never publicly announce anything or made any claim on stock, so how can they held accountable?
    02-03-12 12:25 PM
    A store is allowed to mark-down a product to whatever they would like, regardless of the number of units. They could have 1 product on the shelf and mark it down to move it... I see now issue with that.

On the other hand, if they had advertised this mark-down, then it would be a different story. Please show me anywhere TELUS advertised this sale?

I'll save you the trouble, they never publicly announce anything or made any claim on stock, so how can they held accountable?
    http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/blackberry_playbook/index.shtml
    02-03-12 12:32 PM

BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet | Tablets | TELUS Mobility

as public as it gets...
    02-03-12 12:33 PM
    Called Brian Reimer audio in winnipeg and was able to order 3 32GB for 149.99.

They only had 10 available.
    02-03-12 12:34 PM
    Just called walmart nd they said that if i supply a document from telus stating that there is no 'catch' to the deal they wll price match.

as long as it is not a 'sign up for this and get the PB at this price deal'

now to get said document...
    02-03-12 12:34 PM
    Called Brian Reimer audio in winnipeg and was able to order 3 32GB for 149.99.

They only had 10 available.
    send me one... lol
    malcerie likes this.
    02-03-12 12:41 PM
    They posted this at their own website with limited quantities this morning.
    So if it wasn't for the INTERNAL DOCUMENT THAT GOT LEAKED NO ONE WOULD EVEN KNOW THEY WERE BEING CLEARED OUT.
    NO WHERE do they even state their having a "SALE"
    God bought lawn furniture @ Walmart that was being liquidated in September that we saw walking through the store does that mean they have honor it for every 1 because a internal memo got leaked?
    Last edited by balding1; 02-03-12 at 12:48 PM.
    02-03-12 12:45 PM
    UPDATE:

apparently walmart will only price match if there is a physical flyer/handout saying that it is an instore deal and the person from walmart was told at shift start that they would be getting calls and not to match the price.

also, one rep from telus told me that they personally went with a customer to walmart (it was in a mall) to explain the sale to the walmart employee and they still would not price match... and then she wished me luck.

idk how you guys are getting so lucky lol
    02-03-12 12:48 PM
    They posted this at their own website with limited quantities this morning.
    So if it wasn't for the INTERNAL DOCUMENT THAT GOT LEAKED NO ONE WOULD EVEN KNOW THEY WERE BEING CLEARED OUT.
    NO WHERE do they even state their having a "SALE"
    God bought lawn furniture @ Walmart that was being liquidated in September that we saw walking through the store does that mean they have honor it for every 1 because a internal memo got leaked?
    it doesnt have to say SALE... if the price is lower then the other stores should match it. f i found out yesterday or today the price is still $149 and they should still match it... but apparently not
    02-03-12 12:50 PM
    WOW...
    this might help you guys...

Black's - Product (Blackberry Playbook 32GB WiFi)

blacks is having the same sale for 32gb... maybe they have a flyer
    02-03-12 12:55 PM
    it doesnt have to say SALE... if the price is lower then the other stores should match it. f i found out yesterday or today the price is still $149 and they should still match it... but apparently not
    So if Walmart decides not to carry let say RCA products anymore because they can't come to terms for buying from them and decide to liquidate, all other stores should be forced to price match?
    02-03-12 12:56 PM
    So if Walmart decides not to carry let say RCA products anymore because they can't come to terms for buying from them and decide to liquidate, all other stores should be forced to price match?
    This doesnt say it is a liquidation sale... also, now that i just found out blacks is having the same sale without the 'while quantities last' stamp it shouldnt be an issue
    02-03-12 01:00 PM
    OK i just got so lucky, called the telus they were all sold out in less then 10 mins but they sold me the display unit for a hundred bux plus the back had a tiny tiny tiny scratch on it so they have me the OEM blackberry case for free BAM! now i got two 32gb Playbooks
    02-03-12 01:01 PM
    This doesnt say it is a liquidation sale... also, now that i just found out blacks is having the same sale without the 'while quantities last' stamp it shouldnt be an issue
    Yeah but they Out Of Stock. So they won't price match again. I checked that right away.
    02-03-12 01:04 PM
    Again, the reason Telus can sell it is because RIM is giving them a sell thru credit to compensate for the loss the retailer is taking at selling it below cost. It costs our company $312 to buy a 16gb from RIM. When we marked down to $199 RIM was paying us that loss we were taking per unit. We do not price match below that sell thru credit because that costs the store $50-100 per unit out of our accounts. No retailer in this environment unless they have the coffers of Walmart should be doing that.

I view it as first come first served and if you missed it, it's like the lottery. A retailer doesn't owe you a price match at the expense of the store fiscal health. Good lord.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    balding1 and blackmoe like this.
    02-03-12 01:04 PM
    wow! nice man lol
    02-03-12 01:05 PM
    Yes it should, since the other price match rules of "doesn't bring the item below cost" and "must be available at the other retailer for immediate sale" still apply. It's not that hard to understand.

Nothing about the Telus sale meets the price match criteria for FS/BB, The Source (I checked their policy), Zellers, Walmart and taking advantage of an uneducated employee isn't right either.

Again, Good lord.

02-03-12 01:08 PM
    Yeah but they Out Of Stock. So they won't price match again. I checked that right away.
    but if blacks has it without the 'while quantities last' and it is an in store deal (which i confirmed) then there is no reason for them to not match the BLACK'S price

Again, the reason Telus can sell it is because RIM is giving them a sell thru credit to compensate for the loss the retailer is taking at selling it below cost. It costs our company $312 to buy a 16gb from RIM. When we marked down to $199 RIM was paying us that loss we were taking per unit. We do not price match below that sell thru credit because that costs the store $50-100 per unit out of our accounts. No retailer in this environment unless they have the coffers of Walmart should be doing that.

I view it as first come first served and if you missed it, it's like the lottery. A retailer doesn't owe you a price match at the expense of the store fiscal health. Good lord.

I understand they are selling it at a loss... but these other stores will most likely end up having the same sale anyways. What will they do when the new one comes out and NO ONE wants this version? you wont be able to sell it for $99!

like i said before, i already have mine and am VERY HAPPY with my 32gb that i paid $300+ tax because i still think that is a GREAT DEAL. Im just trying to get some for family and to help other people on the board out
    02-03-12 01:10 PM
    Zellers, Walmart and taking advantage of an uneducated employee isn't right either.
    Probably get a reprimand to boot just for being nice and not knowing any better buy hey every 1 got their price match.
    02-03-12 01:12 PM
    But if they don't have the same sale they aren't getting the sell thru credit to compensate, nor are the credits retroactive if they do end up with the sale.

It makes no sense. Something like that loss when all added up could mean that the store is viewed as unprofitable and closed 6 months down the road if the company needs to realign.

Is the need for a playbook really that important?

02-03-12 01:13 PM
    Yes it should, since the other price match rules of "doesn't bring the item below cost" and "must be available at the other retailer for immediate sale" still apply. It's not that hard to understand.

Nothing about the Telus sale meets the price match criteria for FS/BB, The Source (I checked their policy), Zellers, Walmart and taking advantage of an uneducated employee isn't right either.

Again, Good lord.

you just said that your company pays $310 for a 16gb, so that means you sell it below cost... whats the difference between $1 below cost and $500 (in terms of the price being 'below cost'). agian, please dont take this the wrong way... m just trying to figure this out and am not trying to start an argument or anything

I just dont understand how a flyer can give me a price match but a website cant... it is 2012 and we still need a paper to START a transaction that will be ended with plastic going through the same internet connection it would take to get the info on the website...
    02-03-12 01:14 PM
    but if blacks has it without the 'while quantities last' and it is an in store deal (which i confirmed) then there is no reason for them to not match the BLACK'S price

I understand they are selling it at a loss... but these other stores will most likely end up having the same sale anyways. What will they do when the new one comes out and NO ONE wants this version? you wont be able to sell it for $99!

like i said before, i already have mine and am VERY HAPPY with my 32gb that i paid $300+ tax because i still think that is a GREAT DEAL. Im just trying to get some for family and to help other people on the board out
    Unsold units are generally bought back by the company for sale through their channels. Same thing happened with the 7" galaxy tab. We sent them back to Samsung and were reimbursed.

02-03-12 01:15 PM
    you just said that your company pays $310 for a 16gb, so that means you sell it below cost... whats the difference between $1 below cost and $500 (in terms of the price being 'below cost'). agian, please dont take this the wrong way... m just trying to figure this out and am not trying to start an argument or anything
    Because RIM pays us the difference between $199 and $312. It's called a sell thru credit and it's why this sale is costing RIM. I'm honestly surprised they are still doing it.

The reason we won't price match is that we only get reimbursed for that sell thru amount as per the negotiation. Say we match the $149 for the 32gb...cost is $408, sell thru covers the sale price of $249...so the store loses $100 out of its operating revenue per unit sold.

Last edited by reeneebob; 02-03-12 at 01:20 PM.
    02-03-12 01:17 PM
200 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD