I called my local Telus delaer last night and the person I spoke with was completly unaware of any sale, then tells me the current pricing must be incorrect as the computer is showing all 3 models for the same price ($299)
    02-03-12 09:31 AM
    wtf does "while quantities last" have to with not getting a price matched? everything a store sells is while quantities last, INCLUDING weekly sales/deals... its just bs and you guys walking away so easily surprises me, i would of called the head office or threaten to call bbb as this is total nonsense! they better not pull that with me when i go for the price protection balance! or i swear ill return my PB for a refund!!
    It makes sense to me. Price matching is to prevent you from going elsewhere and you obviously can't get it elsewhere if they are out of stock. A competitor with no stock could run a scam advertisment to force those with stock to cut their margins drastically.
    02-03-12 09:36 AM
    It makes sense to me. Price matching is to prevent you from going elsewhere and you obviously can't get it elsewhere if they are out of stock. A competitor with no stock could run a scam advertisment to force those with stock to cut their margins drastically.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    02-03-12 09:38 AM
    wtf does "while quantities last" have to with not getting a price matched? everything a store sells is while quantities last, INCLUDING weekly sales/deals... its just bs and you guys walking away so easily surprises me, i would of called the head office or threaten to call bbb as this is total nonsense! they better not pull that with me when i go for the price protection balance! or i swear ill return my PB for a refund!!
    Best Buy Price Matching terms spelled out below excludes the Telus sale (limited quantity). You may be able to get someone to do it but their rules specifically exclude from price matching so don't be too surprised.

"The advertised item must be of the same brand and model as the purchased product, must be new and factory sealed, and subject to a manufacturer's warranty applicable in Canada. The advertised item must be sold through an authorized dealer located in Canada. Advertised prices must be in Canadian dollars. Products advertised on the web will be calculated to include all charges applicable for next-day delivery to your home address. Our Lowest Price Guarantee does not apply to advertising errors or misprints, special educational prices, restricted offers, mail order offers, rebates, coupons, premiums, free or bonus offers, OEM products, limited or minimum quantity or limited time offers, close-outs, liquidations, clearances, and special financing offers."

What is your Lowest Price Guarantee? - Best Buy Canada
    02-03-12 09:38 AM
    For all you doubters....
    BlackBerry® PlayBook�„� tablet�|� Tablets�|� TELUS Mobility
    16 &32gb for $149
    64gb $299
    02-03-12 09:43 AM
    I just got 3 32 gigs in a Telus store in Rimouski. One for me, one for my girlfriend and one for my dad! What a deal!!!
    02-03-12 09:52 AM
    So, by your logic when the first sale happend anf futureshop and bestbuy were out of stock in 24hrs walmart should not have price matched bc the 'quantity' was limited? Everything is 'limited' bc a store cannot have infinite stock. I know the wont match doorcrashers, but i see know reason why they would noy match a price of a sale by a canadian company who is out of stock.

Im not a price match veteran but i would even try calling the bbb bc saying that they price match except for limited quantity sales technically means they can say no to anything, since every sale has a limit
    02-03-12 09:58 AM
    but if u look at all the flyer deals all of the stuff is while quality lasts, and they still match prices advertised...
    02-03-12 09:59 AM
    So, by your logic when the first sale happend anf futureshop and bestbuy were out of stock in 24hrs walmart should not have price matched bc the 'quantity' was limited? Everything is 'limited' bc a store cannot have infinite stock. I know the wont match doorcrashers, but i see know reason why they would noy match a price of a sale by a canadian company who is out of stock.

Im not a price match veteran but i would even try calling the bbb bc saying that they price match except for limited quantity sales technically means they can say no to anything, since every sale has a limit
    exactly!! that was my point too TY
    02-03-12 10:00 AM
    Sorry for the horribly typed post. Just woke up and my eyes are still half closed. It looked good from here lol
    02-03-12 10:00 AM

Case in pont: according to some posters here the Toronto Telus stores were completely out of stock before the sale even began. Why should any competitor match the mythical (in TO at least) $149 playbook offer?
    02-03-12 10:07 AM
    Well I just came back from the Telus flaship store in Montreal. They were out of stock 30 mins after the opening. The lady confirmed that she only had 1 playbook this morning.
    Great sale?
    02-03-12 10:13 AM
    Peeps said they were getting rid of inventory for shelf space and not selling them anymore.
    So why not liquidate the 64GB model also?
    Not at $149 but maybe $200-$250
    Last edited by balding1; 02-03-12 at 10:23 AM.
    02-03-12 10:19 AM
    Sold out everywhere in montreal and surroundings! Some stores didn't even have any since a month! Fake sale!
    02-03-12 10:20 AM
    This all started with a leaked document from Telus to stores or whoever.
    Telus never took out advertisements in any daily newspaper. ( Minimum per store)
    Just Telus trying to get rid of stock that went viral by no fault of their own.
    We only see part of the pic that someone posted of sale would luv to see the fine print or missing parts that was for internal read only.
    Last edited by balding1; 02-03-12 at 10:33 AM.
    Fnord likes this.
    02-03-12 10:28 AM
    I bough my 32Gb Playbook in a Telus store in the Montreal surroundings this very morning at opening. Was the very last one. The guy told me he had no 16Gb left, but 2 64Gb at 299$.
    So 149$ for 16Gb AND 32Gb, 299$ for the 64Gb.

Thanks OP
    02-03-12 10:38 AM
    Having worked for BB/FS online, no I would not price match. The policy we followed is 1) the customer must be able to purchase the item at the other retailer at that exact moment so it must be in stock and available to ship if applicable, 2) it can not say limited quantities or while supply lasts, and 3) it can not bring the item below cost.

As Telus would be receiving sell through credits from RIM to make up for the loss they are incurring (as does any retailer selling the PB at the extreme markdown that is happening), for Bb/FS or anyone else to sell it at the Telus price would mean eating $50-$100 per unit (since they would only get sell through credits at the $199-$249 level). If I was to put through a price match when I was working for them on this type of sale I would have been reprimanded and had a written warning put in my employee file for breach of company policy. At my current store, we get sell through credits to cover the loss we are taking on the $199/$249/$299 pricing and we are not permitted under any circumstances to price match a lower price due to the arrangement RIM has with us.

B&$@h about the policy all you want, it's perfectly legal. If you want it bad enough, find one at Telus. Don't expect some schmo to either naively and unwittingly risk their employment just because you want your playbook. Policies exist for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-03-12 at 10:49 AM.
    balding1 likes this.
    02-03-12 10:40 AM
    Yeah, sold out in Montreal in minutes. They said they would not be carrying the Playbook any more and were liquidating. They won't be receiving any more neither on sale nor after the sale.

Went to FutureShop to ask for a price match but they wouldn't do it because they said it was limited quantities. Bought a 16Gb at Futureshop anyway (I can return it if I get a better deal but, honestly, I don't see that happening).

B&$@h about the policy all you want, it's perfectly legal.
    OP is probably right. I think it is Telus who are wrong here. The sale was bogus and should not have been advertised the way it was.

Went back to Telus to complain that it was false advertising. They were not apologetic. They told me they just had a call from FutureShop in B.C. trying to find a Telus with stock. I'm wondering if people in B.C. are getting price matching?
    Last edited by mdarscott; 02-03-12 at 10:54 AM.
    02-03-12 10:45 AM
    It may be head office trying to confirm legitimacy. Corporate for BB/FS is Burnaby.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    02-03-12 10:50 AM
    I got a 32 GB this morning at Future Shop PM at 139 before tax. There were others who got it too. I guess they never realized it was LIMITED QUANTITIES so we lucked out. Technically we should never have got the PM. I am happy we did and the staff were excellent! There was no arguing they did it with no questions, I thought it would be much harder than that! Anyways I woke up so early in the morning showed up at Eaton Centres Telus store and there were already 2 people waiting from RFD who took the ONLY two playbooks in the store. Apparently there are only 400 Canada wide through telus...
    02-03-12 10:56 AM
    Y
    OP is probably right. I think it is Telus who are wrong here. The sale was bogus and should not have been advertised the way it was.

Went back to Telus to complain that it was false advertising. They were not apologetic. They told me they just had a call from FutureShop in B.C. trying to find a Telus with stock. I'm wondering if people in B.C. are getting price matching?
    How could this possibly be TELUS' fault. This was not an advertised sale in any way. We only know about it because an internal document leaked. TELUS was only working to clear their inventory (it would have been a bonus to anyone going in the buy a 16/32GB at their advertised price).

I'm sorry, but you can't fault TELUS for this.
    02-03-12 11:00 AM
    Hey Guys, I was able to get a price match at wal-mart! Got the last 16GB. They did put up a fight because there was no "effective date" on the website. Try your luck! Telus was sold out from yesterday. I called 8 stores and all had nothing.
    malcerie likes this.
    02-03-12 11:21 AM
    How could this possibly be TELUS' fault. This was not an advertised sale in any way. We only know about it because an internal document leaked. TELUS was only working to clear their inventory (it would have been a bonus to anyone going in the buy a 16/32GB at their advertised price).

I'm sorry, but you can't fault TELUS for this.
    How can you not fault them for this. They had no reasonable amount of stock. They only had about 2 or 3 units of each Playbook. They didn't need a sale to get rid of the remaining stock. They didn't offer any online sales. This means they are sending back all of their current warehouse stock. They simple just didn't want to send the ones in their stores back to the warehouse. This is clearance of the current stock in stores before the new OS2 ones are released.
    Blacks is even worse. From what I heard they didn't even have a total of 10 units in all of Canada. Thats just ridiculous.
    02-03-12 12:11 PM
    i dont really care, as i already have mine...
    but i would like to get some for family members.

My whole line of reasoning is 'a rose by any other name' because a sale is 'limited quantity' regardless of what you call it. also, to say that you will only price match if the item is in stock at the store that is advertising it doesnt make sense... why would i go to futureshop when telus has it in stock? im only at futureshop (or any other store) because telus doesnt have any
    02-03-12 12:11 PM
    I called my Platinum Perks CSR this morning and asked about the sale. She says yep its on. She also let me in on a little secret. They are getting rid of them to make room for the 3G version coming out. They don't want a bunch of them sitting around when that happens. I have my PB and was going to get one for the wife. I travel alot so my plan will be to get the 3G when it comes, out and turn my current one over to the wife. She will not need the 3G option like I will use it for work cases.

So if ya buy one of the ones on sale now...my guess it will be obsolete in the near future...like everything else of course.
    02-03-12 12:12 PM
200 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD