08-16-12 11:14 AM
64 123
tools
    Whether PlayBook is great or not, is totally depends on individual "satisfaction" level... it isn't great to those who are disappointed... and it is definitely great to those who are fully satisfied... but I don't think that other devices are inferior with the present PlayBook (even the 4G version) as what those fully satisfied customers are telling... with the tablet's specification nowadays, PlayBook is definitely not in "greatest" position... not to mention the huge ecosystem that others have... likewise, I don't think that it is totally behind with its competitors... its OS (i.e. QNX), is one of the most competitive tablet's OS in the market... a user, who is unbiased and has an actual experience with iOS and Android will agree to that...
    08-13-12 06:26 AM
    I got my playbook recently, and I have to admit that I love it so far. This is coming from a die hard android fan. I've never used a Blackberry before, so I thought I'd buy this instead of a Nexus 7 because this is cheaper, and I could get a 32gb version for films etc. The Nexus severely lacks in storage, and I wanted to try something fresh; new.
    This is by far the greatest tablet experience I've ever had. I have used Ipads before, plenty of times, as some of my friends have them, and my college has a lot of them available for students to use. Ive also had a couple of Android tablets of my own, so I HAVE experienced other tablets.
    I love the building quality, the screen, the UI (which, by the way, I reckon is the best tablet interface I have EVER used) and the bezel navigation (seriously, it feels so awesome, and no other device uses anything similar) and obviously, the price. I know apps are a shortfall, but I mostly use it for browsing, youtube, a few games, and word processing at college, so its perfect for me. My friends all think its a cool device, even the aforementioned ones with Ipads, and they are taken aback by the bezel navigation, especially swipe to wake feature, which I too seriously enjoy. Someone even exclaimed "wow! That's just like on Call of Duty!" - I don't know what he meant, I play Battlefield.
    So aiye, my first experience with a Blackberry is an *almost* perfect one, and I think this could be the beginning of something truly awesome.
    Last edited by JRAtk027; 08-13-12 at 07:06 AM.
    bitek likes this.
    08-13-12 06:57 AM
    One of the writers at BetaNews likes the new model well enough to write about it:

4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook makes iOS and Android devices feel about as sophisticated as my daughter
    08-13-12 07:08 AM
    Dismissing their top competitors as 'toys' was what led RIM into this hole...I find it weird that any normal Blackberry fan would still think this way in 2012.

<snip>

Dismissing Skype and Netflix as 'teensomething apps' is a good way to let everyone know you're clueless about what consumers want these days.
    +1 here. I find it ironic that people like to say the competitor tablets are "toys" when the "PlayBook" has a name which implies that it's all about play time and media consumption.

To heck with productivity software, you can get that stuff on any laptop, tablets are all about browsing and having fun with maybe a smidgen of productivity for when you can't be bothered to go get the laptop out of it's carry case. Tablets should be about cool software which keeps you entertained, and it's here were we're struggling with the PlayBook. Ok, we have some good games and some cool apps - but the competitor platforms have ones that provide different experiences that we will also pay for too.
    Last edited by rich_a; 08-13-12 at 07:29 AM. Reason: I got censored. Replaced H-E double-L with "heck"
    08-13-12 07:26 AM
    My PlayBook which I acquired yesterday is a play tablet for me. To wordpress, facebook, social media, videos, music. And the 7 inch screen is sexy. Never thought I say that but then the iPad could cover the rest. Now all I need is a micro hdmi cable and I can connect my Bluetooth keyboard to my PlayBook and use it on my TV.

Wow. I just realised how great this PlayBook is. Although the word play is a bit misleading taking into account that most people associate play with games. That little thing rocks like there's no tomorrow.

Me loving it guys! So yeah, BlackBerry isn't great. It freaking rocks my world.
    08-13-12 07:47 AM
    docs to go is not exactly stellar. smart office is better than DTG but still there is room for much improvement. I would rather sideload one of several other android office suites
    There you go. So there are many office suites available for playbook they just need to be sideloaded. By the way which androids office suite do you like the most ?
    Last edited by bitek; 08-13-12 at 08:29 AM.
    08-13-12 08:02 AM
    Whether PlayBook is great or not, is totally depends on individual "satisfaction" level... it isn't great to those who are disappointed... and it is definitely great to those who are fully satisfied... but I don't think that other devices are inferior with the present PlayBook (even the 4G version) as what those fully satisfied customers are telling... with the tablet's specification nowadays, PlayBook is definitely not in "greatest" position... not to mention the huge ecosystem that others have... likewise, I don't think that it is totally behind with its competitors... its OS (i.e. QNX), is one of the most competitive tablet's OS in the market... a user, who is unbiased and has an actual experience with iOS and Android will agree to that...
    I did not try ios but android isn't that great. Too many apps done for phones not tablets and android os is cumbersome Imo
    08-13-12 08:16 AM
    There you go. So there are many office suites available for playbook they just need to be sideloaded. By the way which androids office suite do you like the most ?
    Officesuite and polaris are 2 that i use frequently. No one suite has it all and some people need specific features which is why having more to choose from cant be a bad thing.
    08-13-12 10:26 AM
    Officesuite and polaris are 2 that i use frequently. No one suite has it all and some people need specific features which is why having more to choose from cant be a bad thing.
    Good point. Amazon gave us Docs2Go Pro for free, and I actually prefer QuickOffice Pro (which I purchased for before Amazon gave it away for free LOL) and Polaris. They all handle stuff differently; I tend to think Polaris does tables better, But prefer QO for Word docs.
    08-13-12 11:37 AM
    Nice use of a good BB combo OP. The seamless use of technology is definitely something that a home-buyer will appreciate as a first impression.

Keep DO'ing
    08-13-12 11:41 AM
    The PB is a wonderful device. Using it for browsing & video use at home, it is great. I would like to see more "productivity apps" as it could also make a great "business" device also. It would come in handy sitting across from customers or out in the field.

I haven't seen the cheap pricing of comparable tablets that I was told I would see in Spring 2012. For as long as it has been out, I think it has really held it's own and I have used it in a myriad of ways I wouldn't have been able to use other tablets.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-13-12 11:46 AM
    I like the PB but it seems as it isn't getting the attention it should. The Pb has a lot of potential, personally I prefer it over an iPad, but apps are very useful so it makes it hard to stick with PB. I don't need games on it that's why I have a gaming P.C I just needs tools/utilities. If I want to mess around with my phone I'll just use my Galaxy Nexus but I've always preferred blackberry it just makes thing easier in some way can't explain haha xD
    08-13-12 12:57 PM
    Jethro-Ten thanks for you entirely useless single line response.
    LOL, and thanks for your entirely useless single line analysis of my response ;-)
    08-15-12 06:18 AM
    I like the PB but it seems as it isn't getting the attention it should. The Pb has a lot of potential, personally I prefer it over an iPad, but apps are very useful so it makes it hard to stick with PB. I don't need games on it that's why I have a gaming P.C I just needs tools/utilities. If I want to mess around with my phone I'll just use my Galaxy Nexus but I've always preferred blackberry it just makes thing easier in some way can't explain haha xD
    Rim has adopted Apple model in the way. Few devices, only couple display resolutions for phones plus playbook. one uniform os over entire line up of products. rim has everything going for bb to become popular again. Everyting is done to simplify developers life and make them create more apps for bb products. hopefully we will see tons of new apps once bb10 will come out. I was tempted to switch few times but i have decided to give rim benefit of the doubt until bb10 is out. i will pre-order bb10 with keyboard from rogers once it will become available. hopefully it will be as beautiful and business like like bb 9900.
    08-16-12 11:14 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD