08-16-12 10:14 AM
64 123
tools
    However, I do think the PB is a pretty good casual tab. I think the game selection is pretty good now, the browser is excellent (despite the ridiculousness of no bookmark organisation), and its a very good eBook reader. I have yet to find a video file it doesn't play (but not being able to organise my videos is a loser), and it has awesome sound quality.
    08-11-12 09:04 PM
    Well,

Docs to Go is poor on the PB

The PDF reader is mediocre at best

There is no useful video chat/conference app
    Docs to Go isn't THAT bad, It's very usable to be quite honest.

Buy and sideload RepliGo

Adobe Connect works beautifully or so I've been told
    08-11-12 09:15 PM
    likewize my friend I wouldn't get my blackberrys replaced for anything even if for free. I love my 9900 and my sexy playbook

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-11-12 10:25 PM
    OP

Did the RIM products keep on performing, and how did the openhouse go ? Bonus + ?

nite !
    08-11-12 11:33 PM
    Maybe people bought the playbook because they wanted something to play on?
    Are you making a statement or asking a question?
    The PlayBook was not originally intended to be a game device. Sir with the logic you attempt to make a copper head snake is make of copper and the glove box in your car can only hold gloves.
    08-12-12 07:36 AM
    I can agree with that to a point. Most of the complaints are made by teensomething about games. This is backed up by most all the persons around here who are app developers are part time and work at wal mart.
    I just feel this way and if no one else does that's fine its your opinion.
    But in looking at some of the threads;
    I'm bored with my PlayBook.
    Why is there no Netflix.
    And don't forget It doesn't have skyhipe how am I going to see my girl?
    Simply put this device was not designed to be your toy to watch movies. Apple has a nice toy which will give these apps and more apps you can't live without. It's an ipad.
    "teensomethings" "part time and work at wal mart". Could you be more condescending about people you know nothing about? Come on, live in the real world.

For the record, in my case I am over 50 and ran a PC support area since the early '80s.

Your idea that the iPad is somehow a toy and the Playbook is something different is based on exactly nothing. There are a million categories where the iPad is FAR more capable, everything from word processing, database, and spreadsheet apps to mind mapping, outlining, editing with Markdown, audio, photo, and video editing, to many industry-specific apps which exist only because the iPad sold enough to make writing them practical - for example, a good 48 track audio editor was just released. And your notion that Skype is somehow not a business tool is simply absurd.

Oddly enough, the things you complain about - watching movies and playing games - are things the Playbook does quite well, and it certainly has other advantages - lower price, smaller size, lighter weight, HDMI out, USB. - but the software is severely lacking in many categories having nothing to do with games.
    look_alive likes this.
    08-12-12 08:41 AM
    lately I've been testing against the site rng.io which is more of an internal object / properties / method test, because as some have already noted, speed is less of an issue: breadth of standards adoption and compatibility matters more to me.
    08-12-12 12:25 PM
    I got agree Blackberry is great if you don't like it why are all you heaters on a Blackberry blog anyway?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-12-12 12:36 PM
    I got agree Blackberry is great if you don't like it why are all you heaters on a Blackberry blog anyway?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Come again?

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    08-12-12 12:39 PM
    You know OP your post made me think of something. Could all the bad reviews by users on CrackBerry be by people who are upset that the business device isn't a toy to play games on? I love games got an Xbox for that so why would I hate the PlayBook because it doesn't have games or Skype or other teensomething apps?
    Just thinking out loud.
    Mike Lazaridis...Is that you?!

Dismissing their top competitors as 'toys' was what led RIM into this hole...I find it weird that any normal Blackberry fan would still think this way in 2012.

So basically, the top Android tablets and the iPad can do pretty much everything the Playbook can do standalone...and to you they are 'toys' because they provide significant incremental value in terms of a vastly richer development landscape and improved app quality/quantity?

Dismissing Skype and Netflix as 'teensomething apps' is a good way to let everyone know you're clueless about what consumers want these days.
    rich_a, anon1727506 and look_alive like this.
    08-12-12 12:55 PM
    Blackberry isn't great... It is the Greatest!!!!
    bitek likes this.
    08-12-12 02:10 PM
    Blackberry isn't great... It is the Greatest!!!!
    its the BEST !
    bitek likes this.
    08-12-12 02:46 PM
    what kind of software is it missing except for ...... skype ?
    Apart from the obvious office suite, I'm unable to use the wireless at work thanks to PB's inability to play with WPA-Enterprise 802.1X. So, if I've to connect to any server or machine on the office network, I need to be bridged and have wifi turned on my BB, so double battery discharge (PB+BB).

Cisco's AnyConnect VPN not supported, no app support for BB/PB planned. Multiple apps like WebEx, soft-phone/SIP client, TeamViewer to name a few. So, compared to my colleagues iPads, the PB falls flat on its face at work in my office. But, I try to make the most of it by using the bridge, cloud storage and other functionality.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    08-12-12 03:26 PM
    BEST.

Wtfisthis10characterminimumcrap?
    08-12-12 05:08 PM
    You know OP your post made me think of something. Could all the bad reviews by users on CrackBerry be by people who are upset that the business device isn't a toy to play games on? I love games got an Xbox for that so why would I hate the PlayBook because it doesn't have games or Skype or other teensomething apps?
    Just thinking out loud.

Definitely part of it. If you look at how a phone is rated in general it's not call quality or messaging speed/ability, it is apps and browser speed. My wife will that her friend has a app on her iphone for something specific like a department store or a popular blog, on the other hand i am not concerned with that sort of thing. So if you like shopping for apps or chase the latest app craze your going about BB. I do think the PB has really good games though. The same people that about the bb phone not having enough social/entertainment value also that the PB has to many games. Haters gonna hate!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    08-12-12 05:22 PM
    Don't know that I would say the PB has too many games just yet. It does have a good stable of titles, IMHO.
    08-12-12 06:50 PM
    an actual office suite would help too
    you mean like docukents to go or smart office 2 ? I have them both, well actually three docs to go qnx, android and smart office 2 qnx

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    08-12-12 06:56 PM
    "teensomethings" "part time and work at wal mart". Could you be more condescending about people you know nothing about? Come on, live in the real world.

For the record, in my case I am over 50 and ran a PC support area since the early '80s.

Your idea that the iPad is somehow a toy and the Playbook is something different is based on exactly nothing. There are a million categories where the iPad is FAR more capable, everything from word processing, database, and spreadsheet apps to mind mapping, outlining, editing with Markdown, audio, photo, and video editing, to many industry-specific apps which exist only because the iPad sold enough to make writing them practical - for example, a good 48 track audio editor was just released. And your notion that Skype is somehow not a business tool is simply absurd.

Oddly enough, the things you complain about - watching movies and playing games - are things the Playbook does quite well, and it certainly has other advantages - lower price, smaller size, lighter weight, HDMI out, USB. - but the software is severely lacking in many categories having nothing to do with games.

I agree to certain degree. I agree that ipad app selection is just huge and pb is poor in comparison however I think pb browser is superior to safari and becasuse of that playbook does not need as many apps as most can be be done online anyways. I use superb cloud contact management software that works on pc, playbook and even my blackberry. I can access it from anywhere thanks to 7.1 hotspot of my phone in seconds. there is no ipad app that would do this better 100 percent.

For me, decent accounting/expense apps.

money lover or pageonce or mint all work great on playbook and are available in app store
    Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk

Well,

Docs to Go is poor on the PB

The PDF reader is mediocre at best

There is no useful video chat/conference app
    I use docs to go for android because of easy access to google docs and for pdf I use religo reader. both work great

08-12-12 07:13 PM
    you mean like docukents to go or smart office 2 ? I have them both, well actually three docs to go qnx, android and smart office 2 qnx

docs to go is not exactly stellar. smart office is better than DTG but still there is room for much improvement. I would rather sideload one of several other android office suites
    08-12-12 07:16 PM
    Don't know that I would say the PB has too many games just yet. It does have a good stable of titles, IMHO.
    yes couple cool titles are missing that I would love to get from madfinger !

08-12-12 07:17 PM
    PlayBook is great... for me, because it does the job done. Bridge is awesome. Multimedia handling is good, but not perfect. Office handling is good, but not perfect. And there is some fun with it, no doubt. I'm simplifying here just to make a point.
    It's a matter of personal preferences and your perception of what does it for you. There're many devices on the market right now and you have a choice. Do your research and go with the platform you think is best for you. Are you always going to hit the bull’s eye? I seriously doubt it. But when you do, just have fun and use it.
    Personally I’m very happy with my PlayBook.
    bitek likes this.
    08-12-12 08:07 PM
    I have a Bold 9900 and PlayBook. This is seriously a great combo. They both really come in handy on the commute to work - if the street car is full, I can easily skim the news on my Bold. If I can get a seat with some elbow room, it's time to get caught up on some reading.

Tempted to get the BB Music Gateway to make my stereo set up better for playing music, but it would be great if i didn't need an HDMI cable to connect to my TV for video clips and movies (but attempting to see if I can connect through Apple TV... shhh).

Loving the platform and hoping BB10 brings me new ways to not only get things done but gives me new ways to connect to people and integrate with other technology all around me in my everyday life.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    08-12-12 08:22 PM
    BlackBerry isn't great! There I said it.. Now the trolls will burn.
    08-13-12 12:36 AM
    I am sitting at the open house now. Playbook is sitting on a desk at the front door with "Solicit" app open. I sign in people who come to see the house with it [and of course advertise playbook at the same time because this app really looks great on playbook] Blackberry 9810 is connected to power outlet wit Mobile Hotspot on. I browse internet with my laptop with 4G speed and I am liking it a lot. Playbook is all hooked up to the phone through bridge. quiet classical music is playing on my playbook to put people in the house buying mood thanks to true pb multitasking and excellent speakers. Now tell me that my two blackberries are not great. If somebody was to give me iphone or andorid for free i would not take it.
    It's nice you have a great use for it, but your right, PB's are not that great anymore :-(

J
    08-13-12 04:42 AM
    Jethro-Ten thanks for you entirely useless single line response.
    08-13-12 05:22 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD