Took the 64gb back to shop, while waiting for a few days to get my refund sorted I mad a totally MAD decision and went for the ipad 2....Had this ipad 2 for no more than 24hrs and took it back yesterday for a full refund as you don't realise HOW DAMM GOOD THE PB IS WHEN YOU TRY THEM BOTH OUT!!!!
    I know I'll get flamed for taking this one on, but there are some comments in here I feel need to be spoken to. I've been using my 32Gig PlayBook as my exclusive tablet on the road and around the house for about the past two months. Yesterday I picket up my iPad2 for the first time in at least 6 weeks to compare the two again. I wanted to give the Playbook a good hard evaluation and break-in period to see if it was up to the task of replacing everything I do on my iPad.

The ipad 2 seemed clumsy with the os, compared to the QNX
    Absolutely true, the interface on the iPad feels dated. I missed the bezel gestures, especially for multi-tasking and the ability to down-swipe in an app and see the time, battery, and notifications.
    and the screen and text was no where as clear and crisp as the PB.......
    Less crisp, yes. Not as clear? It's not like the iPad is a bad screen by any stretch. Personally I think this is a wash.
    One reason why I went over the ipad was part of the apps....Buy I found the apps on the app store for the ipad NOT AS GOOD AS I THOUGHT AND HEARD ABOUT......
    Then you didn't look very long. Thye apps blow away what you can find on the Playbook. Sadly there really is no comparison here, so if you're into a tablet strictly for the apps and the app-ecosystem, you can't argue against the iPad.

Doing so is disingenuous and lacks credibility
    I am now really just so happy to be back where I belong.......It feels AMAZING to be back with my beast of a tablet.......Still have to say that Apple are very good as what they do but the PB is certainly the dark horse and as we speak it in the GYM pumping iron ready to unleash it's full potential anytime now
    I'm glad you are back where you want to be. I still have both, and still find myself wavering. One thing you didn't mention is size - I personally find that I very much prefer the 7" form factor of the Playbook. It is, to me, the perfect size for a tablet.

The biggest thing that I haven't seen compared in this thread is stability. The fact is, the core system and most apps on the iPad are more stable. My Playbook from time to time crashes the browser, bridge applications, Kobo (which is a piece of crap IMHO) and other apps. The iPad rarely crashes any apps.

While crashes on the Playbook are usually helped by rebooting, this is indicative of the OS not handling memory leaks correctly to me. I'm hopeful the next update addresses many of the stability and Bridge issues, but I have to say I forgot just how good the iPad is until I grabbed it again yesterday.
    bb-bandit and magician1 like this.
    06-30-11 06:54 AM
    I have to agree with the ops points except for the apps. After owning an iPad for two months I have 9 apps installed. Three are to watch movies/tv. The other is map quest. The rest are news and weather.

I'm really trying to get into the whole apple iOS thing, but I'm not feeling it. The lack of an upload download button on mobile safari is a real deal breaker.
    magician1 likes this.
    06-30-11 08:19 AM
    Well said re the above 2 posts.
    I am just so happy to have my lovely blast beast back where it belongs. Very happy bunny I am!
    Friends of mine who have ipads and iphones think I just don't get it......BUT A little learning is a dangerous thing........
    BTW........
    Yesterday I even had the RIM chappie call me with a solution as to how to connect my imac to the PB and start syncing etc.........I said thank you but no thanks as I would rather wait for an official download as he wanted me to go into the Network Preferences on the mac and statrt doing things with the internals but I said I would like not to do this.
    Come on macaroooony update....
    06-30-11 08:42 AM
    RIM really does need to listen to apple and linux users and put out a functional desktop manager for them. It's plain dumb for them not to.

I don't like apple but that doesn't mean if I had a product that they might buy that I would only give them crap to interface it with their other products. There are tons of apple users out there.
    06-30-11 08:59 AM
    I have to agree with the ops points except for the apps. After owning an iPad for two months I have 9 apps installed. Three are to watch movies/tv. The other is map quest. The rest are news and weather.

I'm really trying to get into the whole apple iOS thing, but I'm not feeling it. The lack of an upload download button on mobile safari is a real deal breaker.
    I think this comes back to how you use your tablet. If it's primarily used for web browsing and media consumption, the Playbook is an excellent choice.

Here are some of the apps I have on my iPad that I wish I had on my PlayBook:
    A bunch of travel-related apps, including Delta Airlines, Southwest (the two airlines I use the most, so this is nice) Doubletree, Travelocity, Kayak, and Urban Spoon. And a turn-by-turn Navigation app.
    Social media apps: Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn, eBay
    Productivity on the go Apps: Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Docs to Go, DropBox, GoodReader.
    General Purpose / Consumption of Information: Kindle (PLEASE), FlipBoard, iWeather, USA Today
    Games: HighbornHD, Monopoly, SteamBirdsHD, Great Little War Game, World of Goo

So as you can see, I use my tablet for a wide spread of functions when I am on the road, or around the house. The PlayBook allows me to do many of these things via the web browser, but that is a bit of a compromise. The games are less important to me, but a great eReader like Kindle would be awfully welcome (Kobo in my opinion is fair at best).

If RIM can get it together with evangelizing to the development community (and IMHO seeding developers with funding to port some of the really great apps over to QNX) the future is bright. If they just sort of throw it out there and let it linger to see if it draws developers, it will be a slow path at progress.

Just my two cents.
    06-30-11 09:06 AM
    I'm getting the idea that developers don't like to do anything unless the makers of the OS seed them so they can make even more than they do selling their apps. Can't blame them I guess but wouldn't it do the same thing if the OS makers just don't charge so much to put it in the store or nothing at all or let the developers make the app downloadable on their site so they don't have to give a cut to apple/rim or whoever.

I know you can get crap you don't want that way but if you're going to an established developers site you should be good and I'm sure they still need to be approved for the device but a stamp of approval or a way to check for that would do also.
    06-30-11 09:29 AM

I've test driven the iPad and played with a coworker's iPad 2, they don't interest me at all, and I have an iPod Touch that's been sitting in my desk drawer for almost a year now. The OS UI is just bland and boring and there's only so many "useful" apps on the iTunes store, I even jailbroke it and can't really find many apps I want to put on there through Cydia. I mainly got the iPod touch to find albums that I can't find (or have to special order) in music stores, now that I have the ones I've found I don't use the iPod anymore since I was able to convert the m4a's to mp3's and put them on my Android.

Android's OS is awesome but still has a ways to go, I really like the PB's QNX UI, the gestures are easy to remember and get used to, I'm getting myself the 16GB one in August hopefully (but I also have the Asus Transformer in mind, if it comes to Canada).
    06-30-11 09:53 AM
    I'm not sure why the OS is so important to so many people, it's just a means to an end. MacOS and windows are both useless without applications! as are tablets. The OS itself is limited and only serves to make the thing function. It's the applications that make it actually useful.

If all I had was the Tablet with its OS I wouldn't bother with a tablet.

I've test driven the iPad and played with a coworker's iPad 2, they don't interest me at all, and I have an iPod Touch that's been sitting in my desk drawer for almost a year now. The OS UI is just bland and boring and there's only so many "useful" apps on the iTunes store, I even jailbroke it and can't really find many apps I want to put on there through Cydia. I mainly got the iPod touch to find albums that I can't find (or have to special order) in music stores, now that I have the ones I've found I don't use the iPod anymore since I was able to convert the m4a's to mp3's and put them on my Android.

Android's OS is awesome but still has a ways to go, I really like the PB's QNX UI, the gestures are easy to remember and get used to, I'm getting myself the 16GB one in August hopefully (but I also have the Asus Transformer in mind, if it comes to Canada).
    06-30-11 10:06 AM
    I'm not sure why the OS is so important to so many people, it's just a means to an end. MacOS and windows are both useless without applications! as are tablets. The OS itself is limited and only serves to make the thing function. It's the applications that make it actually useful.

If all I had was the Tablet with its OS I wouldn't bother with a tablet.
    Have you used any other types of OS's? On Android I can place calendar, stocks, music player, weather, and all sorts of other types of widgets right on the homescreens, with iOS you get a bunch of icons and that's it, on BB you can get live clocks, Today style msg/calendar/twitter/fb and tons of ways to customize the home screen through themes.

To some people, customization with the OS matters.
    06-30-11 11:25 AM
    Of course I do. MacOSx & Windows 7 on the desktop. BBOS6, iOS, Android, WebOS and Windows Mobile on phones (palm OS on my treo 650 but I never touch it). I use them all. Widgets I suppose are handy but they're not really a part of the OS, they're addons to the homescreen. I have both Sense and Pure Google devices and I only have 2 homescreens on each, I find widgets a distraction. Thats not to say that they're no good, they sure are (clock & weather is all I use) but they're not really a core feature of AndroidOS, it just happens to have some built in. Any OS can display widgets as a jailbroken iOS device goes to show, regardless of the OS itself.

Have you used any other types of OS's? On Android I can place calendar, stocks, music player, weather, and all sorts of other types of widgets right on the homescreens, with iOS you get a bunch of icons and that's it, on BB you can get live clocks, Today style msg/calendar/twitter/fb and tons of ways to customize the home screen through themes.

06-30-11 11:34 AM

I'm not sure how a discussion of OS customizability fits here. It's not like QNX is particularly customizable with regard to the home screen, and there certainly aren't any widgets that I have found.

i don't consider the ability to add items to the favorites tab to say much for customization.
    06-30-11 01:27 PM
    I think this comes back to how you use your tablet. If it's primarily used for web browsing and media consumption, the Playbook is an excellent choice.

Here are some of the apps I have on my iPad that I wish I had on my PlayBook:
    A bunch of travel-related apps, including Delta Airlines, Southwest (the two airlines I use the most, so this is nice) Doubletree, Travelocity, Kayak, and Urban Spoon. And a turn-by-turn Navigation app.
    Social media apps: Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn, eBay
    Productivity on the go Apps: Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Docs to Go, DropBox, GoodReader.
    General Purpose / Consumption of Information: Kindle (PLEASE), FlipBoard, iWeather, USA Today
    Games: HighbornHD, Monopoly, SteamBirdsHD, Great Little War Game, World of Goo

So as you can see, I use my tablet for a wide spread of functions when I am on the road, or around the house. The PlayBook allows me to do many of these things via the web browser, but that is a bit of a compromise. The games are less important to me, but a great eReader like Kindle would be awfully welcome (Kobo in my opinion is fair at best).

If RIM can get it together with evangelizing to the development community (and IMHO seeding developers with funding to port some of the really great apps over to QNX) the future is bright. If they just sort of throw it out there and let it linger to see if it draws developers, it will be a slow path at progress.

Just my two cents.
    He he, it's funny, do you know that every iphone or ipad owner that buys docs to go actually makes Rim money since they own it now? I'm sure it's not much but sure
    06-30-11 02:41 PM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD