1. livingthedreamonebeatatatime's Avatar
    So the battle lines have been drawn in our household. Its team Apple iPad2 (wife) vs team Blackberry Playbook (me). As we have both and both use consider ourselves average techheads we wrote this up as people keep asking su which is better. So i then thought we would share on the net. We ahve both played with both devices for a decent period of time, and we agreed on the comments written, so lets get started.

PRICE incl Accessories
    Apple iPad 2 64 Gig with 3G SGD1108.00
    Apple iPad Smart Cover SGD54.00
    leather Guard for back SGD50.00
    Camera Kit for SD and USB SGD34.00
    Apple Charging stand SGD34.00
    Apple Digital AV Adaptor SGD54.00
    Screen Guard SGD40.00
    leather Guard for back SGD50.00
    TOTAL SGD1374.00

Blackberry Playbook 64gig SGD928.00
    Blackberry Full leather case Free – promotion for buying
    Blackberry charging stand Free – promotion for buying
    Screen Guard SGD40.00
    TOTAL SGD968.00

Winner: Playbook its was about 30% cheaper to buy and set up (in Singapore anyway)

VISUAL / Audio incl Size, Screen, Speakers Look.
    Apple is a 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology. It displays 1024-by-768-pixel resolution, which is effectively 132pixels per inch and weighs in at 601grams. The speaker on the ipad are ****house, to start with there is only 1, then to make matters worse its location means your hands usually cover it when holding the ipad. Makes for a truly woeful listening experience, our advice put your headphones in.
    Blackberry Playbook is a 7.0inch (diagonal) LCD display with 1024 x 600 screen resolution, which is effectively 170pixels per inch and weighs in at 425grams. The big advantage though is the 2.0 speaker set up located each side of the tablet, the sound comes right at you and is truly fantastic when watching movies etc.
    Both tablets have front and rear cameras, the blackberry's are better though plain and simple. Especially the front camera, but cant say either of us take pictures with our tablets. thats why digital cameras were invented.
    Both tablets feel nice to hold and are well built, unlike others I like that the power button is slightly recessed on my playbook, means less chance of me bumping it and turning the tablet off accidentally.
    So this is an interesting category and blackberry wins in terms of screen clarity and sound but there isn’t as much screen there. What you give up in portability you make up for in screen size.

Winner:No one, this one comes down to preference. Portability or screen size. You can’t have both. Although we were tempted to give it to blackberry for the sound aspect alone as it truly smashes iPads

Connections
    Apple has built in wifi, a slot for 3G card to access the internet away from wifi, and a spot to plug your charger into. That’s it when you pull it out of the box but as you can see above though we purchased extra accessories to expand the ipads capabilities. Even with the Digital AV adaptor the best resolution we can output movies to is 720p, whilst the SD and USB adaptors are 2 separate adaptors. As such when you take your ipad with you, you also need to carry around a little box full of accessories to get full functionality

Blackberry also has wifi, and a spot to plug your charger into. But it also has a mini HDMI output and a mini USB output built in. The HDMI output is capable of outputting video in full 1080p. What it doesn’t have is a 3G card slot. So if you need to access the internet away from a wifi network your phones 3G plan acts as the modem (any phone not only blackberry’s) to your playbook in a function known as tethering. It works well and means you don’t need another data plan for your tablet and let’s face it if you have your ipad, you still have your phone in your pocket so to say the 3G slot built in is an advantage isn’t really accurate

Winner: Playbook, the HDMI and USB function out of the box make it the winner. Being able to output 1080p video is just stunning. Connecting to the internet via tethering is a simple process that is done from any phone do we don’t see this as a major drawback at least no more than carrying around a box of accessories.

Speed & System
    So apple obviously runs its iOS and it does this on a 1Ghz dual core processor with 512Mb of memory, which is double the memory of the ipad 1. Overall the system is smooth and enjoyable to use
    Playbook also has a 1Ghz dual core processor but boasts a massive 1Gig memory. They run this on the QNX system which is also smooth and enjoyable to use. The big bonus is the multitasking, its as smooth as silk on this device. For instance I can play a video open another app and the video keeps playing in the background or that same video can be output to my TV via HDMI , whilst I check my emails on the tablet itself.
    Winner: Blackberry, its just quicker.

Browser
    Well most of us buy tablets to access the internet quickly and easily on the go. Doesn’t take a genius to work out the biggest downfall with the iPad is no java support. To this day we still shake my head at Apples decision to omit java. Blackberry is also a lot quicker and opening pages courtesy of its larger memory. that said the extra screen size makes the viewing a more pleasurable on the iPad
    Winner Blackberry, from a simple java perspective

Apps
    This is a no contest, at this point in time apples app store has about a gazillion more apps than blackberry. Blackberry have said that playbook will be able to support android apps in the future and a lot of developers are already making apps for playbook.
    The other issue with the blackberry is it doesn’t come with email calendar and contacts client pre loaded. If you have a blackberry phone then they connect together using blackberry bridge and all those apps appear and you are good, when not near your phone they disappear again. But if you don’t have a blackberry phone then this is a major drawback. We dont understand what Rim was thinking here (and i have a BB). If you do have a blackberry phone its not big deal and the bridge feature is nice
    Winner: iPad, by a country mile

Conclusion
    Our advise is to spend time playing with them both, work out what you will use it for. Then decide from there. The blackberry clearly wins in the hardware stakes in our opinion but it always comes down to personal preference. hence why i have a playbook and the wife has a ipad, and we still both pick each others up on occasion.
    esqlaw, Hup55, caggie77 and 8 others like this.
    06-28-11 08:52 PM
    Oh nooo here we go again...moderators please stop this BS thread before it becomes an intentional troll rumble - here is a prime example of what I have been ranting about - a newbie with three posts from the Apple marketing team comparing ipad and playbook - are you catching on yet??

Its team Apple iPad2 (wife) vs team Blackberry Playbook (me) ...

Classic advertising "catch". This is a pro campaign by a troll wanting to set the forum on fire disguised as an innocent semi-blackberry fan.

Please spare us from the endless ipad comparisons. This is a Playbook forum attended by a Playbook interest group. Interest in iPad? Zero.
    Speaking for myself of course.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-28-11 at 08:59 PM.
    06-28-11 08:54 PM
    its not java, its flash. Good review from a different perspective

and and OP just ignore blackjack, he is one of our bigger trolls that has nothing better to do than ***** about other people posting and accusing them of being paid by apple to come on here and stir crap up.
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-28-11 at 09:07 PM.
    06-28-11 09:05 PM
    ha ha its women and men's world cup soccer.team ipad vs team playbook? give me a break.go play xbox or something.
    06-28-11 09:06 PM
    OP: The price comparison comes back to the iPad 2 slightly when you factor in the 3G version you bought is a lot more expensive than the wifi only version - which would have been a fairer comparison. Also, you added in the leather guard for the back in twice.

Otherwise, a fair comparison. Interestingly, I think one of the best decisions Apple ever made was to can Flash.
    06-28-11 09:12 PM
    it doesnt really matter in my opinion, though agreed that this is a playbook forum

i bought a playbook for the functionality it gave me, i really didnt even consider the ipad. it was actually a choice of wait for the 8.9inch tabs like the galaxy tab or the playbook.

apple has a way of screwing people over but they do it in a way that people think its a good thing.
    06-28-11 09:14 PM
    its not java, its flash. Good review from a different perspective

and and OP just ignore blackjack, he is one of our bigger trolls that has nothing better to do than ***** about other people posting and accusing them of being paid by apple to come on here and stir crap up.
    OK That's fair I better find something better to do than watch the same flames flare up in here...but you will see that it is ipad/playbook comparison threads that ALWAYS stir things up without my help.

I am sitting on my hands with duct tape over my mouth watching...nothing better to do.
    06-28-11 09:16 PM
    Personally, I enjoy reading other people's perspective on things. Reminds me that my likes and dislikes aren't universal and other people have just as valid opinions and views as mine.
    prebetsabu likes this.
    06-28-11 09:18 PM
    On the contrary, Blackjack cracks me up. Every forum needs a good conspiracy theory, and the "Apple is paying people to bash the PlayBook on CrackBerry" is as good (and as ridiculous) as any.
    xandermac and howarmat like this.
    06-28-11 09:25 PM
    BTW Have a look at how THIS classic ended up - without my help...

I wowed an Ipad user -

Should I go back and collect ALL of the ipad vs playbook threads so you can see the gang brawls I'm talking bout? Nah that would give me something to do.

Ok shutting up now...have fun in here Playbook bashing and brawling, ipad fans...
    06-28-11 09:26 PM
    Oh nooo here we go again...moderators please stop this BS thread before it becomes an intentional troll rumble - here is a prime example of what I have been ranting about - a newbie with three posts from the Apple marketing team comparing ipad and playbook - are you catching on yet??

Its team Apple iPad2 (wife) vs team Blackberry Playbook (me) ...

Classic advertising "catch". This is a pro campaign by a troll wanting to set the forum on fire disguised as an innocent semi-blackberry fan.

Please spare us from the endless ipad comparisons. This is a Playbook forum attended by a Playbook interest group. Interest in iPad? Zero.
    Speaking for myself of course.
    ok...who let alex jones in here?
    06-28-11 09:27 PM
    blackjack you aren't a mod so stop trying to be one. If you were mod we would have nothing but RIM is all puppy dogs and sugar plumbs.

Nice comparison op even though many think they should not be compared. Don't understand blackjacks problem I thought you basically determined the playbook to be better.
    06-28-11 09:35 PM
    OP: The price comparison comes back to the iPad 2 slightly when you factor in the 3G version you bought is a lot more expensive than the wifi only version - which would have been a fairer comparison. Also, you added in the leather guard for the back in twice.

Otherwise, a fair comparison. Interestingly, I think one of the best decisions Apple ever made was to can Flash.
    Does Apple stock pay a dividend because that would be the only reason to be happy that Apple ducks flash: can't charge for it.

Apple is about fleecing the ignorant and uninformed. A pox on Apple. Used to like Apple in the early days ironically.
    06-28-11 09:38 PM
    Sombeiatch where is my free charging pod and leather case? #gippedintheusa
    06-28-11 09:42 PM
    Apple is about fleecing the ignorant and uninformed.
    If that's true, your iPad should be arriving any day now.
    06-28-11 09:51 PM
    i like when people write thread about pb vs ipad.. giving me some different perspective.. sure a lot of people bashing the playbook for it's lack of apps, native email and all but still this is my first tablet and i really-really enoying myself using this thing..
    chiefbroski and Spencerdl like this.
    06-28-11 09:52 PM
    i like seeing how others compare tablets among other things. in the it still comes down to what works for you though. In my case i needed portability and internet access anywhere i was at.

The playbook was the only way to go for me. I couldn't see much advantage in the ipad over a 10" netbook. As far as apps go 75% of the apps for any tablet are games and i didn't buy mine to play games on. i think it's just a matter of time before the app gap narrows too.
    06-28-11 09:54 PM
  18. livingthedreamonebeatatatime's Avatar
    it wasn't meant to be a "whats better thread", it was 2 peoples different opinions on the devices and what we found to be Pro's and Con's of each... it also turned out to be very pro Playbook so i don't get the whole trolling aspect. its also very different to 95pct of the reviews you read on the net comparing the 2.

newbies have to start somewhere with post counts, excuse me if i dont write one line meaningless comments on every thread to rack mine up to give myself GOD status.

Maybe your right though just reading is more informative and enjoyable than sharing.
    Last edited by livingthedreamonebeatatatime; 06-28-11 at 09:58 PM.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    06-28-11 09:56 PM
    If that's true, your iPad should be arriving any day now.
    Sorry, I don't have your forwarding address, Milt.
    06-28-11 10:04 PM
    That was about the most fair comparison ive seen I think. I have never touched an ipad but from all I have read it sounded pretty accurate.
    06-28-11 10:18 PM
    Thanks for the comparison OP. I think a lot of it is just preference as they are both good devices.
    06-28-11 10:37 PM
    To the OP:

Just to make it a lil fair:

iPad can be used via Bluetooth Headsets, Playbook can't

iPad can straight put out to VGA and HDMI, Playbook can't without adapter - VGA is much more common for projectors/presentations. And iOS 5 brings 1080 output. And you can output video wirelessly via Apple TV (including sound of course)
    and it has 3G... so why does the PB win????

Playbook does not support JAVA either!!!

Batterylife is superior on the iPad... no mentioning?

I like your idea of doing this comparison, but you have to stay fair.
    06-28-11 10:44 PM
  23. livingthedreamonebeatatatime's Avatar
    Takeo thank for your comments, as i said though it was the things my wife and i use them for and things that have stood out or that we have noticed.

iPad can be used via Bluetooth Headsets, Playbook can't. OK nice feature for ipad, but we havent needed it?

iPad can straight put out to VGA and HDMI, Playbook can't without adapter - VGA is much more common for projectors/presentations. And iOS 5 brings 1080 output. And you can output video wirelessly via Apple TV (including sound of course)
    and it has 3G... so why does the PB win????
    Didnt look at VGA aspect as all our devices (TV, projector) all use HDMI. Movies can still only be output at 720p on the ipad although yes presentation at 1080. AppleTV is a good point but we always stream from our mac to appletv as its the same content on mac as on the ipad thanks to syncing. Which bring me to another point, much easier to sync the ipad with wanted files than my PB on our iMac where its done via wifi

Playbook does not support JAVA either!!! Sorry this was meant to be flash, typo

Battery life is superior on the iPad... no mentioning? yes, we should have mentioned this, apologies. i would say about 2hrs better on average

I like your idea of doing this comparison, but you have to stay fair. hopefully this clarified our thoughts on some of your well made points
    takeo likes this.
    06-28-11 11:23 PM
    iPad can straight put out to VGA and HDMI, Playbook can't without adapter - VGA is much more common for projectors/presentations. And iOS 5 brings 1080 output. And you can output video wirelessly via Apple TV (including sound of course).
    You want to be fair? iPad requires two different proprietary cables to output vga and hdmi. Playbook uses a stock cable for hdmi and a stock hdmi to vga adapter for vga. Accessories are required for both tablets. Just did a presentation with my playbook today. Output to a vga projector with sound with no problems. These comparisons are pointless when there is so much misinformation passed off as fact. It really comes down to learning to use a device.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    06-28-11 11:38 PM
    it wasn't meant to be a "whats better thread", it was 2 peoples different opinions on the devices and what we found to be Pro's and Con's of each... it also turned out to be very pro Playbook so i don't get the whole trolling aspect.
    Don't worry about that blackjack character. He has some theory that Apple trolls disguise themselves as being slightly "pro Blackberry, Playbook or RIMM" and that's how they trick us poor mindless pratts into falling for their bait.

I know ... doesn't make sense to the normal mind.
    xandermac likes this.
    06-28-11 11:40 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD