All has been perfect with my Playbook until a couple of days ago. I have been leaving it on, sitting on the charger, then the other morning........ Tapping on an icon no longer works to get in to the application, any application. Swiping sideways on the desktop works, and but swiping from bottom left in no longer brings up the keyboard. Swiping up or down inside the desktop works. Swiping to wake up no longer works. I can use the top button to turn on or off.

Bridge works fine, messages arrive and I hear and see the notification but cannot get in the app to read it.

I cannot take it to the store to check because I bought it online last fall and live hundreds of miles from store chain I bought it from Have emailed them and they cannot help me beyond saying take to the nearest store.

Does this sound like a bug? It has suffered no trauma, has had a safe place on my desk.
    04-22-12 04:44 PM
    It sounds like a faulty PlayBook, but have you tried a HARD RESET...after latest update.......it's been known to work wonders
    04-22-12 04:50 PM
    Did you try to reboot, lot's of times it's that simple Oops just saw you can turn it on and off, sorry.
    Last edited by sputneek; 04-22-12 at 04:54 PM.
    04-22-12 04:51 PM
    To fix an issue, try these in order of ease:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

If all those fail, you could try reloading the OS using Security wipe

or

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-22-12 06:08 PM
    To turn off I have been holding down the power button by itself past the 3-choice option screen as pressing the icons there does not work. I tried the Reboot by holding all 3 keys down (missed the power button the first time) but it will not reboot by itself.

The OS2 upgrade went well, did that when it was available, and no problem until now.

How do I go about reloading the OS with a security wipe? Sorry, if the instructions are on the forum somewhere I have not located them yet.

Also thank you very much for the contact information for RIM!
    04-22-12 09:21 PM
    Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update from the popup. It will take awhile.
    04-22-12 10:05 PM
    First, make sure you have wifi as it is generally needed to finish the install.

Next backup up any unique data, like photos, videos, voice notes, whatever you want to keep as any process will erase ALL of your data.

Use the Gear-options at the top. Scroll down to Security and open it, find Security Wipe. Start it going.

If that does not fix your problem, then the Debrick which does the entire reload

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    04-22-12 10:10 PM
    Thanks...I will try this tomorrow, hope it works. I do have wifi here.
    04-23-12 01:01 AM
    Also you have to hold that power button for a good 10-15 seconds. And its a slippery bugger. Needs to be held in firmly. If you keep holding it, it should work. It needs something tl push it in slmetimes too.

My PB has done this plenty'o'times.
    04-23-12 01:43 AM
    First, make sure you have wifi as it is generally needed to finish the install.

Next backup up any unique data, like photos, videos, voice notes, whatever you want to keep as any process will erase ALL of your data.

Use the Gear-options at the top. Scroll down to Security and open it, find Security Wipe. Start it going.

If that does not fix your problem, then the Debrick which does the entire reload

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    I was unable to find the Security Wipe option. Did you mean the Gear showing top right on the PB? I was able to get in there once, did not see Security anywhere, now cannot get in again.

The Playbook was off when I connected to the Desktop software and came on automatically when I connected it. It found the device right away. I did the backup. Clicking on Update told me that I was up to date, there were no additional updates.
    04-23-12 12:11 PM
    Also you have to hold that power button for a good 10-15 seconds. And its a slippery bugger. Needs to be held in firmly. If you keep holding it, it should work. It needs something tl push it in slmetimes too.

My PB has done this plenty'o'times.
    Funny thing is I had it down a split second before the other two and the camera still clicked.
    04-23-12 12:13 PM
    Yes, the GEAR at the extreme right in the row with the Battery Icon. When you get to options, they are not alphabetic, so scroll up or down to see more options on the left pane. And then even the right pane, depending on the option may be scrolled or have dropdowns (About is a drop down) and then scroll. Security is down lower and then you can scroll the right pane (panel).
    04-23-12 06:42 PM
    Phoned BB and managed to get the OS updating and then installing, however keep getting notice of an error in updating, saying that connection to tablet could not be established and telling me to connect the tablet and try again...this after 1 1/2-2 hours of downloading and installing...twice. I will have to phone them back. Now my PB has Italian language on it! ... I think it must have been the fault of a small upgrade that happened after the main OS2. Oh well.
    04-23-12 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD