Theres plenty of angry grandmas that cant play farmville on their ipads because of no flash
    Again, they can using Puffin or Skyfire browser, both available in the app store and both run flash. And before you say it, how many people download alternate browsers for their BB devices?

However I don't know of anyone who would want to play an intensive game like that on a tab. I loaded it on my touchpad and tablets simply aren't powerful enough to run it flash enabled or not.

Of course I don't expect factual information to get in the way of your agenda so carry on.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    01-13-12 12:01 PM
    However I don't know of anyone who would want to play an intensive game like that on a tab. I loaded it on my touchpad and tablets simply aren't powerful enough to run it flash enabled or not.
    Which is why most everyone is going away from FLASH, it just uses too many resources. If your using a mobile device, this means your battery is going to be sucked dry in no time.
    reeneebob likes this.
    01-13-12 12:27 PM
    Yeah, I got 330 and 9 bonus with FF9, but what I find funny is that IE8 only gets 41 with 0 bonus points on my XP workstation. Forgot to test with my 64-bit Win7 Ultimate machine at home last night.
    IE v9.0.8112.16421 on my 64-bit Win7 machine scores 141 with 5 bonus points, Chrome v16.0.912.75 same as my XP workstation at the office, 374 with 13 bonus points and FF v9.0.1 scores 330 with 9 bonus points for those keeping score at home.
    01-13-12 08:53 PM
    Are you talking to yourself Mike?
    diegonei likes this.
    01-13-12 08:59 PM
    My touchpad is the first tab I haved owned that even was able to load gardens of time. Playing was painful.

The idea that flash is the end all, be all...*shakes head*

01-13-12 09:54 PM
    IE v9.0.8112.16421 on my 64-bit Win7 machine scores 141 with 5 bonus points, Chrome v16.0.912.75 same as my XP workstation at the office, 374 with 13 bonus points and FF v9.0.1 scores 330 with 9 bonus points for those keeping score at home.
    What about chromium, firefox and opera on a GNU/Linux workstation?
    01-13-12 10:38 PM
    Theres plenty of angry grandmas that cant play farmville on their ipads because of no flash
    Farmville for iPad and iPhone.

App Store - FarmVille by Zynga
    01-13-12 11:00 PM
    Farmville for iPad and iPhone.

App Store - FarmVille by Zynga
    I see why you would want one with the most gb as possible if you need to download and store an app on it to do anything you can do without an app on other systems.
    01-13-12 11:03 PM
    ....well, they even hate the CES booth:

This BlackBerry Booth Makes Me Sad
    Yah and don't even bother responding. I responded a few days ago but my comment still has yet to be approved. I guess they only approve comments that agree with the article's author. Anyway here is the response I sent to them:

"where jerks like me will relentlessly mock"

Considering what you wrote, an apt description. Along with the others suggesting chapter 11. With ~70million subscribers, still turning a profit, buckets of cash in the bank and no debt they aren't going anywhere soon.

Did you even look at what was being demoed on them including features not available on any other tablet? Or did you go to the QNX booth where Rim was demoing their Playbook with the new Onstar App allowing Onstar subscribers to acces all their car data as well as start your car remotely with the Playbook?

Or did you look at the Porche Carrera concept car using QNX and Blackberry Playbook technology for mobile communications and media.....and you call yourself a reporter. You just looked at the size of the booth and *assumed* that Rim had nothing new.

Interesting that you never mentioned the complete lack of an Apple booth. What then would you interpret tha to mean? I shudder to think.

Sometimes I think the press have too easy of a time of it at these conventions and figure if they just throw their opinon out there that it's called "journalism" and all the sheep out there say, "it must be true...he was there".

Another point too often missed is that everything that matters is only going on in the US. Just because US BB sales are not doing as well as Apple and Android in the US does mean the same thing is occurring around the world.

-------------
    01-13-12 11:08 PM
    I'd rather the Flash option be MY choice to turn off and on, than the all-mighty creator choosing for me. It's funny that the people who seem to have the biggest problems with Flash and complain about crashing and battery drain seem to be using Macs. I rarely see a problem with it, but I'm just a PC.
    I don't understand their problem either and I do use a Mac, in fact 2. One at home and one at work. I've never had a problem with flash on either. Must either be PEBCAC or many Apple fans don't like to think that Steve could have ever been wrong about something.

I too like the option and not have it dictated to me, but then it's supposed to be all about the (user's) experience...right?
    01-13-12 11:27 PM
    I see why you would want one with the most gb as possible if you need to download and store an app on it to do anything you can do without an app on other systems.
    Anything? Spare us.

PS The app in question is 19 MB. I think a 16 gig Playbook can squeeze a few hundred of these types of apps in if thats your thing.

Point is that flash is by and large useless to many at present.
    -Apple saying no to Flash has accelerated its abandonment.
    -The sheer dominance of flashless devices in the rapidly growing tablet / phone market has caused many developers to go flash free on their websites or, as evidenced by Farmville and many others, develop apps while Flash finishes dying. Even Flash's owner has given up in the mobile space.

Good riddance.
    01-14-12 12:34 AM
    Anything? Spare us.

PS The app in question is 19 MB. I think a 16 gig Playbook can squeeze a few hundred of these types of apps in if thats your thing.

-The sheer dominance of flashless devices in the rapidly growing tablet / phone market has caused many developers to go flash free on their websites or, as evidenced by Farmville and many others, develop apps while Flash finishes dying. Even Flash's owner has given up in the mobile space.

Good riddance.
    Lol, flash is everywhere I go. So you are wrong about that.

Anyways, I'm glad 2.0 will patch things up and makes the pb a more solid device. The pb should have bbm by now, but hey...it happens right? I still think rim haters and critics are still going to hate and 2.0 doesn't really change anything for them. We'll see.
    01-14-12 01:46 AM
    That would mean flash is now on the downward trend. That is not the same thing as it being largely useless to many in the present...
    rjedge54 and mikeplus1 like this.
    01-14-12 01:48 AM
    That would mean flash is now on the downward trend. That is not the same thing as it being largely useless to many in the present...
    For now on, I am just going to ignore these people. No use in arguing with them. It is pointless.
    01-14-12 02:00 AM
    ....well, they even hate the CES booth:

This BlackBerry Booth Makes Me Sad
    I never accredit anything Gizmodo writes. Take a look at this booth video and you be the judge...

If this is the future of journalism, this is sad.
    Last edited by thymaster; 01-14-12 at 02:24 AM.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    01-14-12 02:21 AM
    I never accredit anything Gizmodo writes. Take a look at this booth video and you be the judge...

If this is the future of journalism, this is sad.
    Let's be real here. I don't know if I could call anything by Gizmodo journalism.
    thymaster, mikeplus1 and Serkle K like this.
    01-14-12 02:27 AM
    Again, for the third time, even my dual core, over clocked, gig of RAM loaded, flash capable touchpad can load but not comfortably play a flash heavy Facebook game like FarmVille. Why would anyone even try? It's an exercise in frustration.

Just for giggles at work yesterday I loaded up gardens of time (a facebook game not as intensive as farmville) on the playbook and it slowed to a crawl.

So yay! The playbook can load FarmVille and iPad needs an app! However the playbook can't PLAY FarmVille and the iPad can with the app. The iPad and iPhone can also load any flash page the playbook can with Skyfire or puffin browser. So yes, there is flash available on iPad.

01-14-12 07:54 AM
    Sorry to offend (using a picture that Kevin originally posted in the blogs). Here are a few more options that are hopefully less offensive.

No worries Michelle! Todays society needs a royal PC enema! I laughed and saw the picture for what it was ... humorous!! The PC folks have made us change everything for their political agenda ... all the way down to happy hollidays (formerly known as Merry Christmas) Keep the pics coming and the smiles will continue (except for those select haters, of course)
    01-14-12 11:42 PM
    The idea that flash is the end all, be all...*shakes head*
    I don't think anyone here made that kind of statement. I could give a rat's hindquarters what websites use to provide me content, as long as I can use it. It's funny how some people seem to have contempt for it. It's just one programming option, for goodness sake. I have the OPTION to turn Flash off and it doesn't provide a noticeable difference in battery life. It does, however, provide a noticeable difference in my normal surfing of the internet. Maybe it is the OS that Flash is interacting with. YMMV.

Will the HTML5 revolution be completed any time soon? What version of the iPad will we be on by then? I like the multilayer approach that RIM has taken to support what's in use NOW as well as what's in the future.

all the way down to happy hollidays (formerly known as Merry Christmas)
    Just for the record, Happy Holidays was originally just a lazy way to say Marry Christmas AND Happy New Year. I'm not sure why it's a big deal now. There's a difference between PC and the realization that not everyone shares the same beliefs and customs and in the spirit of the season, to being sensitive to those differences. Just think of it as being cross-platform. Like Flash or HTML5. See how I wrapped those comments all together?
    01-15-12 12:25 AM
    No worries Michelle! Todays society needs a royal PC enema! I laughed and saw the picture for what it was ... humorous!! The PC folks have made us change everything for their political agenda ... all the way down to happy hollidays (formerly known as Merry Christmas) Keep the pics coming and the smiles will continue (except for those select haters, of course)
    while I agree that PC and those who enforce to the benefit of a small minority can be stifling for those who prefer a less heavy hand, the fact remains that some found the post offensive, and that's the standard that would apply. Judging by my e-mails alone, and there were more then a handful, had any one of us posted that, and there was even one complaint, we would have seen, at the very least, an infraction with points levied on our accounts.
    01-15-12 01:19 AM
    On the plus side yesterday my wife and I visited Starbucks on our way home. In full yuppie mode I curled up on the couch by the fireplace with my Latte whipped my Playbook out of my pocket and in no time at all was conversing with my nephew in Alberta (who's wife by the way just purchased a new playbook)

While we set there I noticed some of our neighbours with their laptops and ipads and one with a playbook. I watched a guy with his ipad leaving he first put the pad inside a sleeve. then put that in a bag and slung that over his shoulder, really he might as well have brought a laptop.

When we were done I folded up my leather case, put the playbook in my pocket and off we went.

My point, if there is a point is I left there with an overwelming feeling smugness in my tablet choice.
    01-15-12 07:15 AM
    Again, for the third time, even my dual core, over clocked, gig of RAM loaded, flash capable touchpad can load but not comfortably play a flash heavy Facebook game like FarmVille. Why would anyone even try? It's an exercise in frustration.

Just for giggles at work yesterday I loaded up gardens of time (a facebook game not as intensive as farmville) on the playbook and it slowed to a crawl.

So yay! The playbook can load FarmVille and iPad needs an app! However the playbook can't PLAY FarmVille and the iPad can with the app. The iPad and iPhone can also load any flash page the playbook can with Skyfire or puffin browser. So yes, there is flash available on iPad.

I agree but flash isn't just about intensive games like farmville.
    01-15-12 07:17 AM
    Oh I know, but for some inexplicable reason FarmVille has been invoked multiple times in this thread as the reason Apple sucks. Just keeping with the theme lol

kbz1960 likes this.
    01-15-12 08:47 AM
    And yet you use a Torch, which doesn't support Flash, so the "choice" wasn't important enough for you to switch to Android.

I love it when people counter their own arguments.
    I think its time for Economist101 to list what phone he/she uses. Not sure why you don't have any listed. Do you have one or not?
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-15-12 11:36 AM
    On the plus side yesterday my wife and I visited Starbucks on our way home. In full yuppie mode I curled up on the couch by the fireplace with my Latte whipped my Playbook out of my pocket and in no time at all was conversing with my nephew in Alberta (who's wife by the way just purchased a new playbook)

While we set there I noticed some of our neighbours with their laptops and ipads and one with a playbook. I watched a guy with his ipad leaving he first put the pad inside a sleeve. then put that in a bag and slung that over his shoulder, really he might as well have brought a laptop.

When we were done I folded up my leather case, put the playbook in my pocket and off we went.

My point, if there is a point is I left there with an overwelming feeling smugness in my tablet choice.

You must have some huge jean pockets for a PB to fit in them. Especially when a case on it.
    01-15-12 11:48 AM
154 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD