I was using it as an example..

The iPad and other Apple products have been known to hold their value the best out of every other company in their industry. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
    The subaru wrx will also always hold its value verses ford focus

if your only making or dropping a product less often its GOING to hold value verses dropping a new or different model every couple of months.
    01-11-12 03:03 PM
    Speaking of HTML5, does anyone know of any browser capability tests that one can run on the PB?
    01-11-12 03:09 PM
    Buying a used iPad is like buying a used toilet. LOL
    01-11-12 03:10 PM
    ....and dirt(y) cheap too, especially on Craig's List, LMAO!
    Delirious D and Harley Kid like this.
    01-11-12 03:12 PM
    The point I'm making is that Craig's List is sketchy, at best, especially in places like Philadelphia, or Camden, or the South Bronx, or Watts, or Opalocka, etc...those giveaway prices are bogus, and you should know it, but since you didn't pick up on my point, then maybe you think a cheap PB or new Jeep Wrangler is realistic.
    Compare used prices on ebay then. Numbers don't lie. Personally, I've never had a problem with Craigslist. I just make sure to meet them in good places of philly.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    01-11-12 03:14 PM
    i bet theirs an app for trolling. i guess it would make it easier then constantly registering up in the competitions' websites. just to bump gums.
    Dude's just giving his educated and honest opinion...no trolling there. Curious (and somewhat pathetic) how when people give an opinion that happens to differ from the popular opinion they get labeled a troll.
    Moonbase0ne likes this.
    01-11-12 03:17 PM
    Dude's just giving his educated and honest opinion...no trolling there. Curious (and somewhat pathetic) how when people give an opinion that happens to differ from the popular opinion they get labeled a troll.
    An undeniable function of youth.
    01-11-12 03:23 PM
    Flash is almost dead... thankfully so.

Why promote a technology that:

Is resource and memory hungry, crashing browsers often.
    Is badly coded by most flash designers.
    Prevents web crawlers/search engines from reading text embedded in flash.
    Is unviewable in many countries as the USA bans the export of flash player to countries that it considers bad.
    Is not viewable or causes problems to users with dissability browsers.
    Allows a web designer to screw with my browser interface and mouse gestures.
    Has some of the nets most serious and outstanding security issues, hundreds.

HTML 5 is about making the web free and available to everyone. About making it clean from a design point of view and reaching a standard of real cross browser compatabilty.

I have had my PC browser block flash for 5 years at least. Sites that I visit and use it have big holes of missing content... click back and visit somewhere else.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-11-12 03:25 PM
    On the contrary, I keep reading on these forums that the PlayBook is more potable. Oh, wait, my bad. That's portable. My mistake.
    01-11-12 03:27 PM
    Flash is relevant because we use devices in the present not the future.
    After using my ibrothers device for a day I can say I'm glad I have it.
    The browser just works.
    You're right. Flash is incredibly important in the present, which is why you carry a Torch; that great Flash compatibility is not to be missed.

GM Chevy Volt misses 2011 sales target

U.S. dealers sold a total of 7,671 Volts last year.
    You think playbook sales were bad?

That's what happens when you put pressure on a company to sell something people don't want ..
    That last line could be used to describe both the Volt and the PlayBook; the difference being that we don't know how well the Volt would do if i's price were cut by 60%.
    Last edited by Economist101; 01-11-12 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Typos
    pantlesspenguin and brucep1 like this.
    01-11-12 03:28 PM
    I've had Flash disabled on my laptop for years. I actually like having my browser never crash, getting the full run of my battery and not having the fans come on full speed.

But regardless, when your competitors are making electric cars, it seems silly to make a big deal out of still belching out petrol fumes.
    Strongly agree on the execrable Flash.

I thought I had the "Click to Flash" extension on my MacBook (hopefully the name is self explanatory), but I didn't use it much. No harm since Flash doesn't run unless i poke a link. I realised I hadn't used it at all in a *very* long time and checked my extensions. I must have ditched it at some time in the past and *didn't even notice it was gone*.

I turned Flash off on my PlayBook in an effort to enhance the reliability of the browser (tends to wink out of existence). I think it helps to some degree but it's hard to quantify. Anyway, kind of like my Mac, I haven't missed it at all. I haven't slid that Flash toggle back on *even once* since I slid it off.

I admit that the potential to use Flash was a minor part of my decision to get a PlayBook (the $199 firesale, portability and nice screen was most of the reason). Turns out that, to me, it is absolutely not a factor now.
    01-11-12 03:33 PM
    i have no problem with opinions. but why would i go sign up at the apple or android forum if i own neither. just to say they suck.
    01-11-12 03:39 PM
    Compare used prices on ebay then. Numbers don't lie. Personally, I've never had a problem with Craigslist. I just make sure to meet them in good places of philly.
    Ahhhh, the ubiquitous eBay, where one can get a super deal on a 16 GB Playbook for $1200.00, or a Gen V iPod Nano for $495.00...I don't know who to run from first, eBay or Craig.
    01-11-12 03:41 PM
    I'd rather the Flash option be MY choice to turn off and on, than the all-mighty creator choosing for me. It's funny that the people who seem to have the biggest problems with Flash and complain about crashing and battery drain seem to be using Macs. I rarely see a problem with it, but I'm just a PC.
    Delirious D, recompile and 9of13 like this.
    01-11-12 03:45 PM
    Funny that the picture says CES under but the article reads
    "at Pepcom's Digital Experience "
    For the record... the Pepcom Digital Experience is an event at CES.

Note my reply in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...me-sad-687436/
    diegonei, Chaddface and JBenn911 like this.
    01-11-12 03:48 PM
    I'd rather the Flash option be MY choice to turn off and on, than the all-mighty creator choosing for me. It's funny that the people who seem to have the biggest problems with Flash and complain about crashing and battery drain seem to be using Macs. I rarely see a problem with it, but I'm just a PC.
    love this. lol...
    01-11-12 03:51 PM
    I'd rather the Flash option be MY choice to turn off and on, than the all-mighty creator choosing for me.
    The problem with that is inertia. Inertia, budgets, and laziness are such that if someone hadn't drawn a line, nothing would have changed. Now publishers are looking at the numbers and getting off their rear ends to make cleaner more efficient sites for mobile users without Flash. YouTube alone would never have done it without Apple forcing the issue by refusing to accept it anymore.

It's funny that the people who seem to have the biggest problems with Flash and complain about crashing and battery drain seem to be using Macs. I rarely see a problem with it, but I'm just a PC.
    When I worked at Netscape, the vast majority of our crash logs from all users (which were primarily Windows) were due to Flash bringing down the browser. Friends of mine on the IE team (the old Spyglass guys) say the same is true for IE as well.

So you've never noticed your laptop fans come on when you are using a Flash site or playing a Flash game?
    01-11-12 04:00 PM
    I'm just hoping OS2 comes out and works as anticipated. Can you imagine what it would be like to expect certain features and then it doesn't come to fruition? (I guess those that bought the pb during launch can tell us).

at the sale prices the pb is a steal. With the growing apps, it looks to get stronger and more useful.
    01-11-12 04:11 PM
    Flash is almost dead... thankfully so.

Why promote a technology that:

Is resource and memory hungry, crashing browsers often.
    Is badly coded by most flash designers.
    Prevents web crawlers/search engines from reading text embedded in flash.
    Is unviewable in many countries as the USA bans the export of flash player to countries that it considers bad.
    Is not viewable or causes problems to users with dissability browsers.
    Allows a web designer to screw with my browser interface and mouse gestures.
    Has some of the nets most serious and outstanding security issues, hundreds.

HTML 5 is about making the web free and available to everyone. About making it clean from a design point of view and reaching a standard of real cross browser compatabilty.

I have had my PC browser block flash for 5 years at least. Sites that I visit and use it have big holes of missing content... click back and visit somewhere else.

whats your point?

you were still in the minority for blocking flash websites for 5 years.

your only pushing a percieved perception, that in a lot of ways is not relevant to the majority of actual users on and using the internet.

Have fun with that!
    01-11-12 04:22 PM
    You're right. Flash is incredibly important in the present, which is why you carry a Torch; that great Flash compatibility is not to be missed.
    No sunshine, that's why I bought a PB.
    01-11-12 06:08 PM
    For the months ive been reading blackberry articles on gizmodo AND ZDnet.. its very obvious they are extremely biased towards blackberry, and just dont like it at all. To me it sounds more like hate on their part, a personal issue based on no factual details. They drink lots of koolaid.
    01-11-12 06:32 PM
    i have no problem with opinions. but why would i go sign up at the apple or android forum if i own neither. just to say they suck.
    I have only seen his posts in this thread and not elsewhere but in this thread no where does he say RIM or the PB suck. He does suggest it may not be the best business strategy to brag up a dieing technology but that is a far cry from saying they/it sucks and certainly not trolling as you suggested very early on.

Me thinks you are reading things that are not actually there.
    01-11-12 06:49 PM
    LOL at the irony of this thread turning to discussion of Econ100
    01-11-12 06:55 PM
    yeah I must disagree with "flash is irrelevant" comments. My girlfriend has an ipad2 and she cites it as her biggest disappointment with the device and has on more than a handful of occasions used my playbook instead when browsing. Maybe flash will become irrelevant in a couple years' time, but technology doesn't last that long anyway and what's important is what we have now.
    Delirious D, recompile and AggreX like this.
    01-11-12 07:08 PM
    whats your point?

you were still in the minority for blocking flash websites for 5 years.

your only pushing a percieved perception, that in a lot of ways is not relevant to the majority of actual users on and using the internet.

Have fun with that!
    I may have been in a minority, but safe in mind that I haven't been exposed to security flaws inherent in flash. That my customers have websites that were created fully compliant to w3c standards that could be seen by every single person who landed on them regardless of disability, download speed, browser client or country of origin.

Most folk are clueless with technology. If in a minority, it's due to the lack of knowledge by the majority. I would have used the word ignorance but you'd pick that up the wrong way and not its dictionary definition.

Take IE 6 for example, it took a while for the end user to learn that this browser was bad for them in terms rendered websites and security. The minority shunned this browser for years till the general public eventually became clued up. It took a good while for MS to get up and kill this browser and sites to start refusing to render pages to IE 6 browsers.

In time this will happen to flash.

It has nothing to do with perception. All my points in my post are valid, real and with merit. Flash has serious issues that abobe have dragged their feet in fixing.

I am not knocking the PB, it will live on without flash.

My point? Not sure why you felt the need to ask... you are talking about flash. My point was simple enough to understand.
    01-11-12 07:16 PM
154 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD