Real tablets have to have flash? I'm not so sure..

Adobe kills Flash for mobile
    no but if a tablet is advertised to replace my laptop or pc i want it to be as capable.
    (pontiacs are discontinued it doesnt mean they dont work. another stupid car analogy)

maybe at one point everything wont have flash but that times isnt right now.

(backwards compatibility a nice feature of my pb)
    01-11-12 02:33 PM
    THAT IS NOT CES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T REFER TO GIZMODO FOR BLACKBERRY BUSINESS!!!!!!! THEY MUST CARRY TOILET PAPER EVERYWHERE CUZ THEY'RE FULL OF ^%#$
    Funny that the picture says CES under but the article reads
    "at Pepcom's Digital Experience "
    Serkle K and Willard814 like this.
    01-11-12 02:34 PM
    You haven't been around the internet very long if you think this will happen during this generation of tablets quickly enough to have any significant impact. moot point.
    Would the YouTube team have transcoded as many videos as they did as quickly as they did if the iPhone had supported Flash?

Would ESPN have?
    01-11-12 02:35 PM
    Funny that the picture says CES under but the article reads
    "at Pepcom's Digital Experience "
    Exactly!!!
    01-11-12 02:38 PM
    I just read the article and I read alot of articles on gizmodo.com. I find it really funny when reading the comments below on playbook articles. They are like playbook sux! or their are no apps! and stuff like that. Just a bunch of idiots on the "lets bash RIM" train just because it is the cool thing. I bet 99% of them have never even tried the Playbook. If they did I know that they would not be as trollish as they are. I love my Playbook.
    01-11-12 02:39 PM
    flash isnt important, it is more viewed as a if its there, it will use it.
    flash isnt relevant as everything is going html5.

The PlayBook was released before it was ready, and this is discussed heavily in other threads, we all made it work because we love BB.

they are right with this article. I am not a hater, and expect to get flamed, but os2 wil bring them up to par.

as with RIM nowadays they are just constantly playing catch up
    How many times does this have to be said? Even if flash content stopped being developed today and all future content is html5 - it will not make all of the content that has been produced over the last ten years simply vanish!

Personally I would be screwed as ALL of the training videos and tutorials I need to use and refer to daily are not going anywhere.

There has been a HUGE investment in production of this material and nobody is going to reinvest just to accommodate the ipad.

Flash is not just ads!!!

just watch - other tablets will soon be playing "catch up" to blackberry bridge and the features it is and will offer for phone integration..

Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 02:43 PM.
    Not sure what "techie" means. Has your uncle ever waded through the Flash API or tried to debug an issue where their plugin kept bringing down the browser he was writing?
    means he really into technology.
    I've had Flash disabled on my laptop for years. I actually like having my browser never crash, getting the full run of my battery and not having the fans come on full speed.
    is this an apple product as well?
    Yes, it is.
    figures. i refer you back to my uncle

"4real! Flas is awesome! Thats like saying shoes suck when you dont have any....lol"
    recompile likes this.
    flash isnt important, it is more viewed as a if its there, it will use it.
    flash isnt relevant as everything is going html5.

The PlayBook was released before it was ready, and this is discussed heavily in other threads, we all made it work because we love BB.

they are right with this article. I am not a hater, and expect to get flamed, but os2 wil bring them up to par.

as with RIM nowadays they are just constantly playing catch up

flash is relevant because its being used now!

Thats like telling people gasoline engines are not relevant because eventually cars will all be electric!

What are they catching up on?
    Delirious D and recompile like this.
    Flash is relevant because we use devices in the present not the future.
    After using my ibrothers device for a day I can say I'm glad I have it.
    The browser just works.
    Absolutely!
    The lead guitarist in my band has an iPad and every time he sees my PB he tells me yet another story about a website that sucks for him. I told him that there may be an app for that...
    01-11-12 02:40 PM
    Absolutely!
    The lead guitarist in my band has an iPad and every time he sees my PB he tells me yet another story about a website that sucks for him. I told him that there may be an app for that...
    Tell him to cheer up, he could sell his iPad and buy 3 PlayBooks if he wants
    01-11-12 02:42 PM
    Used iPads are going for less then half MSRP...like those Fannie Mae houses that are under water, the iPad was sold at a ridiculously inflated MSRP, the people now see that, and, well, you know what happens next.....
    01-11-12 02:45 PM
    Well, I'm not really developing anything until RIM finishes their OS. But patiently waiting.

I don't think they are a lost cause. They are losing certainly, but not lost. Like many developers, I've hated Flash for a very long time. It is and always has been a hideous technology that kills browsers and batteries. It was truly designed by some of the most incompetent developers ever.

I'm just glad it's finally going away and I think if RIM wants to remake their image as a company that is modern and "gets it", they should probably not hitch their wagon to the Flash crash.

They've made a lot of marketing and positioning mistakes. Let's not see them make another one.

It was an analogy. Someone else's actually.

Oddly enough, I am buying an electric car this year. Two engineers finally talked me into it. But that's neither here nor there.
    Umm playbook also does html5, and flash can be disabled in the browser if you haven't heard. They are hitchin the wagon to as many horses as they can find. - makes the wagon go faster. No need not to develop - you can use html5 and javascript and take advantage of all platforms.

Nobody is forcing you to develop for flash. The point is that the content is not going anywhere.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 02:56 PM.
    01-11-12 02:46 PM
    i bet theirs an app for trolling. i guess it would make it easier then constantly registering up in the competitions' websites. just to bump gums.

fyi gotta love how we keep using cars as examples.

pb is like a hybrid we take gas and will aslo use electricity vs ipad using the 7.2v RC batts
    Last edited by BBM.Duchess; 01-11-12 at 02:50 PM.
    01-11-12 02:48 PM
    Used iPads are going for less then half MSRP
    Wow, you mean used iPads are selling for the price of a Playbook?
    01-11-12 02:49 PM
    ... I've hated Flash for a very long time. It is and always has been a hideous technology that kills browsers and batteries. It was truly designed by some of the most incompetent developers ever. I'm just glad it's finally going away and I think if RIM wants to remake their image as a company that is modern and "gets it", they should probably not hitch their wagon to the Flash crash. ...
    I'm a longtime Flash hater too. I mainly use Macs, and apparently Flash is even worse on Macs than on PCs. There's some kind of rough justice here: If Adobe had actually put resources into fixing the Mac Flash plugin, perhaps Flash wouldn't have been banned from the iDevices.

My understanding is that Adobe bought the company that created Flash (Macromedia), and let go or lost the developers who wrote the plugins. Adobe was always more interested in developing the Flash tools (which were sold to developers) than the plugins (which were given away for free).

To be fair, there are still things that I like to see that are only available in Flash. (I'm just glad that I can turn Flash on/off on a case by case basis in the contexts where I use it.) Apparently, there are also enterprise applications which use Flash for the graphics front end. And a number of US PlayBook users seem to appreciate Flash, which is necessary for certain sports sites in particular. So it is reasonable for RIM to continue to support Flash on the PlayBook (without pushing development any further).

QNX Software Systems (the QNX company that RIM acquired) evidently had a good deal of experience with Flash, which it used for graphic interfaces in, for example, car entertainment systems. So perhaps it was natural that RIM started off using Flash itself in parts of the Tablet OS to get something up and running -- I've understand the FLash part (at least, most of it) is being replaced by native code in version 2.

Also note that Adobe is not saying it is killing Flash. Rather, it has dropped its own development of mobile Flash in browsers (which tried to adapt interaction with Flash pages to mouseless touch interfaces). Desktop Flash will live on for a while. Also, Flash technology is used to build standalone apps, and that will live on for a while.
    01-11-12 02:50 PM
    GM Chevy Volt misses 2011 sales target

U.S. dealers sold a total of 7,671 Volts last year.
    You think playbook sales were bad?

That's what happens when you put pressure on a company to sell something people don't want ..

And then they burn (more) coal to generate the electricity that is inefficiently distributed over the power grid? Makes as much sense as starving people to grow bio fuels and taking their tax money to subsidize it.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 02:54 PM.
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-11-12 02:50 PM
    Wow, you mean used iPads are selling for the price of a Playbook?
    Now now now, facts have no business in the PlayBook forum. Move along
    01-11-12 02:51 PM
    blackberry playbook

That ads been up since December. Selling for about 20% of original MSRP
    First off, Craig's List????....probably stolen. I've seen 2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicons with hard and soft tops, less then 10K miles, showroom condition, and never been off road for $6000.00. See where I'm going with this?
    01-11-12 02:51 PM
    First off, Craig's List????....probably stolen. I've seen 2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicons with hard and soft tops, less then 10K miles, showroom condition, and never been off road for $6000.00. See where I'm going with this?
    I was using it as an example..

The iPad and other Apple products have been known to hold their value the best out of every other company in their industry. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
    01-11-12 02:53 PM
    I was using it as an example..

The iPad and other Apple products have been known to hold their value the best out of every other company in their industry. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
    The point I'm making is that Craig's List is sketchy, at best, especially in places like Philadelphia, or Camden, or the South Bronx, or Watts, or Opalocka, etc...those giveaway prices are bogus, and you should know it, but since you didn't pick up on my point, then maybe you think a cheap PB or new Jeep Wrangler is realistic.
    01-11-12 03:00 PM
    And then they burn (more) coal to generate the electricity that is inefficiently distributed over the power grid? Makes as much sense as starving people to grow bio fuels and taking their tax money to subsidize it.
    Subject for another thread I think, but you're ignoring the mechanical losses in the vehicle itself. Those now currently exceed electrical transmission/storage for many areas. (Rural areas are different obviously, but I mean for those of us who live in cities) And the costs (energy and otherwise) of refining crude is not at all insignificant.

I used to think about it the same way about electric vehicles, and had no interest in one. But I just put my deposit down a couple of weeks ago.

Again, interesting discussion for a different thread obviously.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-11-12 at 03:03 PM.
    01-11-12 03:00 PM
    Hahah Gizmodo's style of writing, you kind of have to take it with a grain of salt, and a tad of humour. In all fairness it would be silly to say that RIM released a completed product, everyone has their failures and should own up to them with grace and professionalism.
    01-11-12 03:02 PM
    - Amazing, the fight goes on.
    - This is round 167,154 of the match.
    - Standing in the red corner in black skirt and red bras is the RIM Defender fighter.
    - Standing in the opposite corner is the RIM Hater fighter.
    - Both fighters are determined to win.
    - The RIM Defender fighter uses an upercut using his flash argument.
    - The Hater uses the apps jab.
    - They are relentless and unyielding.

-RIM Defender unleashes a 2.0 haymaker
    -Hater counters with a "not many people at the booth" block...
    -ineffective! Hater is on the ropes!
    -RIM Defender reels back and...

Let's hope RIM gives us the knockout punch soon.
    Umm playbook also does html5, and flash can be disabled in the browser if you haven't heard. They are hitchin the wagon to as many horses as they can find. - makes the wagon go faster. No need not to develop - you can use html5 and javascript and take advantage of all platforms.

Nobody is forcing you to develop for flash. The point is that the content is not going anywhere.
    That should have been mention already in this conversation. Which is better doesn't matter(for PB) because both work.
    Keeping with the car theme. We can belch out some petrol now and switch to electric when the need arises.
    PB won't leave you stranded.
    Would the YouTube team have transcoded as many videos as they did as quickly as they did if the iPhone had supported Flash?

Would ESPN have?
    Probably not - I hope they sent the bill to Steve Jobs.
154 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD