Tablet is only useful for regular browsing, movies, videos etc.

But laptops do serve their purpose if you need to work on advanced projects, programming, graphics, excell, many things.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    But don't forget the trade off my friend. The more powerful the unit, especially for programming? The higher the power consumption. Tablets generally have a longer battery life for that reason and personally if I was still walking or catching a train/bus to college I would not want to have to carry laptop+charger+cables+course work. The idea is you take notes, make references notes etc and then do the main work at home.?
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    08-17-13 02:08 PM
    Thor has uttered a lot of things in the past 18 months.
    Nothing since the AGM. Muzzle in place.
    Has Thorsten been given the "Silence of the Lambs" treatment afforded to Hannibal Lecter?
    Tablets becoming even more popular than laptops for University students-silenceofthelambs.jpg
    08-17-13 02:39 PM
    But don't forget the trade off my friend. The more powerful the unit, especially for programming? The higher the power consumption. Tablets generally have a longer battery life for that reason and personally if I was still walking or catching a train/bus to college I would not want to have to carry laptop+charger+cables+course work. The idea is you take notes, make references notes etc and then do the main work at home.?
    With the movement towards cloud services provided by universities and colleges a tablet does not require the raw computer power of a notebook computer to achieve the same tasks. And cloud services are easily deployable in-house by the universities and colleges if they have unique use-cases. Textbooks are available in e-book formats and for some reason the current generation prefers reading on a screen instead of on dead trees. As sad_old_man said tablets and notebooks complement each other for those students desiring such.
    08-17-13 02:44 PM
    I just updated my avatar to give you an impression of what's going on. I never knew there were deserted islands in the North Sea...
    After imbibing enough of the contents in the casks from Sad_Old_Man's cellar you will believe there are hordes of attractive young women fighting over you each evening.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-17-13 02:52 PM
    Tablets are too limited for serious work and realistically, most of the apps are substandard. Some nuggets stand out but the overwhelming popularity of the tablet relates to its portability, light weight and efficiency of usage (depending on OS).
    For many applications (not to be confused with software) a tablet is sufficient given the increasing availability of cloud services which the current generation seem eager to embrace. Let's not debate whether cloud services are good or bad. A tablet combined with a Bluetooth keyboard such as the BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard and Case transforms the BlackBerry PlayBook into a mini-notebook computer, and if applications are available from cloud service providers, and in the case of the BlackBerry PlayBook if the functionality of BlackBerry Bridge was carried over to BlackBerry 10 smartphones, many students could forego a notebook computer altogether. In the dorm room if the student had a docking station with HDMI port, rapid charge port, and an option to simultaneously display different content, say an e-textbook on the HDTV and a text edit / word processor displayed on the tablet all controlled by the tablet, a further need for a separate notebook computer diminishes.
    Al Watson likes this.
    08-17-13 03:11 PM
    After imbibing enough of the contents in the casks from Sad_Old_Man's cellar you will believe there are hordes of attractive young women fighting over you each evening.
    Contrary to popular belief I am doing all of this quite sober.
    No need for alcohol to spin a good yarn!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 03:58 AM
    With the movement towards cloud services provided by universities and colleges a tablet does not require the raw computer power of a notebook computer to achieve the same tasks.
    While the cloud still is a problematic issue IMHO, couldn't this ultimately lead to the resurgence of the netbook even?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 04:00 AM
    Perhaps he might have thought of doing a deal with the UK Department of Education like Apple have done? I think that might have resurrected the pb image and provided a few coins into the bank? Ah well!
    All the kids/rioters already carry Blackberry's (os7 and below) , a cheap 16gb wifi PlayBook with bridge vs an ipad would be more cost effective for the UK.

I guess Thorsten is being "strategic" as he kept the momentum going on this one:
    http://m.crackberry.com/uk-police-ge...berry-playbook

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 04:16 AM
    Hi All
    I just read this post in the Edmonton Journal and it appears that tablets are taking the place of laptop computers on many campuses across Canada.
    You can read the article here: More tablets showing up on campus
    Thor says YOU LIE
    08-18-13 11:58 AM
    Here's another thought: create a campus-wide cloud
    and offer every student a set of Google Glasses.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 12:48 PM
    Thor says YOU LIE
    Students obviously only represent a small market share (just like Blackberry, come to think of it).
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-18-13 12:50 PM
    If I were back at school, an inexpensive tablet that could read pdf/word/ppt/xls files (textbooks and class notes) would be fine for class and for work/entertainment commuting on the bus. For real work and assignments, I think a decent laptop is necessary. So I would get both.

If you have to add a keyboard to an iPad and only want a tablet or laptop, then just get a MacBook Air. Or a decent notebook. There are many that are thin, light and powerful -- unlike netbooks which are/were grossly underpowered.

BTW interesting article on laptops in the classroom: Students
    08-18-13 08:40 PM
    First laptop - they become too heavy
    than note books - they were underpowered
    than net books, no power at all
    than tablets - most of them used for social media, as gadgets, a toy, so we need a keyboard with it

Than Windows 7 and 8 tablets, now the real work tablets begin, now we get keyboards with it, but don't the look like a notebook? we are back to square one, they are running i3, i5 or i7 chips, dont they look like net books or small note books again?

so Heins is right, no more tablets in 4 years
    only mini netbooks looking like tablets with keyboards
    08-19-13 10:36 PM
    First laptop - they become too heavy
    than note books - they were underpowered
    than net books, no power at all
    than tablets - most of them used for social media, as gadgets, a toy, so we need a keyboard with it

Than Windows 7 and 8 tablets, now the real work tablets begin, now we get keyboards with it, but don't the look like a notebook? we are back to square one, they are running i3, i5 or i7 chips, dont they look like net books or small note books again?

so Heins is right, no more tablets in 4 years
    only mini netbooks looking like tablets with keyboards

Why are phones getting bigger and bigger? Because people want to be able to use them like tablets. Not much difference between a 6" Phablet and a 7" Tablet which has 4G . Who knows what five years will bring with processor, screens and battery improvements. But it will be possible to have an 8" tablets with the computing power of a laptop and the ability to connect with keyboards, mice, audio systems and monitors probably wirelessly. This is almost here now. Phones may be getting dumber rather than smarter as they will be relegated to running simpler tasks.
    Al Watson likes this.
    08-19-13 11:27 PM
    can't wait, personally I want a tablet the size of a playbook and combineing the abilities of a phone and laptop (but must have removable battery), oh yes I and I want it now.
    08-20-13 03:10 AM
    Contrary to what I implied earlier (in jest, but there you have it) about Google Glasses, students should NEVER adopt a model by which they use totally "dumb clients". The possible downtime of such a system and the (increase of attempted suicide due to the) inability to access important files just aren't worth it...
    08-20-13 03:40 AM
    olso you look like a total *****.
    08-20-13 05:06 AM
    olso you look like a total *****.
    I assume this was directed at me. Just checking BTW.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-20-13 05:44 AM
    I assume this was directed at me. Just checking BTW.
    STOP hogging the limelight you! He meant me of course. Stupid dutchman!
    08-20-13 08:18 AM
    STOP hogging the limelight you! He meant me of course. Stupid dutchman!
    Oh shut up old man! He meant who ever wear the Google glasses come across as.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-20-13 08:29 AM
    I would think this might be obvious, given the portability factor. I'm thinking considering my Q10's features that it may even suffice.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 08:32 AM
    @S_O_M - So "olso" is your new nick? What does it stand for...
    And let us never bring the limelight up again.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-20-13 08:54 AM
    Oh shut up old man! He meant who ever wear the Google glasses come across as.
    Ok, ok you could be more polite when you address a thing of beauty?
    08-20-13 09:04 AM
    One last attempt at seriousness (yes, I know): the netbook never found its way to campus? Did the netbook truly and absolutely die on us?
    WHAT!?!? The netbook died! Gasp! I have to go out in the back yard and bury mine then. It was a nice mini-laptop type thingy. Not fast for sure but fast enough for traveling with. Almost 12 hours battery life with the big battery, 250 gig hard drive, hdmi port, USB 3.... I will miss the little fella.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-21-13 10:46 PM
    @s_o_m - so "olso" is your new nick? What does it stand for...
    and let us never bring the limelight up again.
    limelight.......limelight............. Limelight.............
    08-22-13 07:21 AM
77 1234