M
    A local school district is giving all 3,000 students and the teachers iPads for this upcoming school year. I think the elemantary kids get iPad Mini's and everyone else gets iPads. I think that is the near future for tablets.
    My high school alma mater issues ipads to all the students, no more books.
    08-17-13 01:42 AM
    LA School District furnishing tablets to students Today on news.
    08-17-13 03:07 AM
    Thor's "insight" was simply sour grapes. As memory and processors become cheaper. The concept of a screen powered by your phone seems unnecessary and unwieldy.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-17-13 03:08 AM
    Nothing can replace a laptop...period

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 04:38 AM
    While a laptop (currently) has more capability than a tablet, other than syncing films and pics all my emails, browsing, film watching is doneona tablet so I do belive that once tablets (companies might not do this as they will destroy revenue) gain the computing power a pc or laptop has then they most likely take over as a lot of people want portability and a tablet offeres that more than a laptop (size and weight). just my opinion.
    08-17-13 05:23 AM
    Likewise, its a good 24 years since I left full time education an would have loved a tablet instead of all the different books I had to carry around all day. K think the BB PB or iPad mini are perfect size to carry around and if they had phone capabilitiy then they would be all you need.
    08-17-13 05:34 AM
    Thor's "insight" was simply sour grapes.
    I wouldn’t go so far (at least not here) to say that I agree with mr. Heins, but I do think the tablet market technically died (a little), when Microsoft introduced its Surfaces. Seriously, Microsoft. (Okay, in all honesty, maybe not all that seriously)
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-17-13 05:56 AM
    I wouldn’t go so far (at least not here) to say that I agree with mr. Heins, but I do think the tablet market technically died (a little), when Microsoft introduced its Surfaces. Seriously, Microsoft. (Okay, in all honesty, maybe not all that seriously)
    Bobbing around in that life raft for so long has affected you!
    08-17-13 07:02 AM
    Bobbing around in that life raft for so long has affected you!
    There is however a halfway coherent thought behind my previous statement. If you look at what Microsoft has done to Windows 8, to accommodate every possible appliance (including your dishwasher!) with a similar experience, dumbing down PC-Windows even further (if that's possible), then I am truly afraid for what's to come and wish for all this gagdeteering to end...
    08-17-13 09:32 AM
    I think increasingly you will see textbooks on tablet as the way forward, see Google Play now offering them as well as iTunes. While they can be done on a laptop as well and smart phone I suppose, l it's not as user friendly as a tablet so while all will probably live on, most students will have a tablet as part of their supplies going forward IMHO.
    08-17-13 09:56 AM
    I see tablets but laptops are still the most popular option for students, macbooks are very popular

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    08-17-13 09:58 AM
    If I were still at university, I - seriously this time - would opt for a true ebook reader with proven "epaper" technology. That's still way better than reading from tablet/laptop screens. You'd obviously lose some functionality, but that's apparently what all these (pesky) smartphones are for.
    08-17-13 10:07 AM
    If I were still at university, I - seriously this time - would opt for a true ebook reader with proven "epaper" technology. That's still way better than reading from tablet/laptop screens. You'd obviously lose some functionality, but that's apparently what all these (pesky) smartphones are for.
    Good to know! How's the boat doing?
    08-17-13 10:15 AM
    Good to know! How's the boat doing?
    I just updated my avatar to give you an impression of what's going on. I never knew there were deserted islands in the North Sea...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-17-13 10:20 AM
    I just updated my avatar to give you an impression of what's going on. I never knew there were deserted islands in the North Sea...
    Of course. There's England for a start! Keep going and you'll find some more.
    Hirazi Blue likes this.
    08-17-13 10:22 AM
    My communications officer is currently trying to establish where we are exactly ATM. He has an Android smartphone, so I am confident he�ll be able to do it...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-17-13 10:31 AM
    my communications officer is currently trying to establish where we are exactly atm. He has an android smartphone, so i am confident he’ll be able to do it...
    you are exactly here!

X
    08-17-13 10:43 AM
    One last attempt at seriousness (yes, I know): the netbook never found its way to campus? Did the netbook truly and absolutely die on us?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-17-13 01:18 PM
    One last attempt at seriousness (yes, I know): the netbook never found its way to campus? Did the netbook truly and absolutely die on us?
    Yes!
    08-17-13 01:31 PM
    Was that seriously serious enough for you?
    08-17-13 01:32 PM
    Quite..
    athough it seems a shame
    (the demise of the netbooks, not your seriousness)
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-17-13 01:40 PM
    Quite..
    athough it seems a shame
    (the demise of the netbooks, not your seriousness)
    In case it slipped your notice I am a reformed character and have found a new humanitarian side to my nature. I even forgive you for buying an iPad so how's that for.......... I forgive you for it anyway. Enjoy your sea cruise.
    08-17-13 01:51 PM
    Tablet is only useful for regular browsing, movies, videos etc.

But laptops do serve their purpose if you need to work on advanced projects, programming, graphics, excell, many things.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    08-17-13 01:59 PM
    Is the Chromebook the reincarnation of the netbook?
    08-17-13 02:01 PM
    Tablet is only useful for regular browsing, movies, videos etc.

But laptops do serve their purpose if you need to work on advanced projects, programming, graphics, excell, many things
    One would - seriously again - hope, these poor souls own desktop-pcs primarily...
    08-17-13 02:07 PM
77 1234