Validated 140-1 and 140-2 Cryptographic Modules

Certificate 1578. Will be looking over the documentation to see what's in the policy!
    07-21-11 11:13 AM
    So . . . Tomorrow then? j/k
    07-21-11 11:14 AM
    Come on man, Tuesday . This is great news for not only the Playbook, but for QNX phone development. Now that they have an approved kernel they can do much more. Documentation isn't working in links yet.
    sf49ers likes this.
    07-21-11 11:16 AM
    "The BlackBerry Tablet Cryptographic Kernel is a software module that provides the cryptographic functionality required, for basic operation of the BlackBerry� PlayBook™"

Hmmm... that's what it says. So, if this is indeed needed for secure, native e-mail, we might be seeing something really soon if this was the only element they were waiting for.
    07-21-11 11:17 AM
    Great new. Does the Apple IOS and Android OS follow these standards as well ?
    07-21-11 11:21 AM
    Great, plenty more apps then

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 11:24 AM
    Well I'm not sure what it means. In the security policy they show it using the bridge to get into corporate resources via BES.

BlackBerry� PlayBookTM tablets are built on industry-leading wireless technology and use a powerful BlackBerry� Tablet OS. BlackBerry PlayBook tablets provide intuitive multi-tasking, allowing users to easily navigate the touch screen to switch between open applications, enjoy a PC-like web browsing experience with Adobe� Flash�, read rich media content and view HD video.. BlackBerry tablet users can access enterprise features by using a secure Bluetooth connection to supported BlackBerry� smartphones to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet for real time access to PIM functionality (email, calendar, address book, task list and BBMTM), and use the existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server connection to remotely access files and applications from an enterprise PC.

Each BlackBerry PlayBook tablet contains the BlackBerry Tablet Cryptographic Kernel, a software module that provides the cryptographic functionality required for basic operation of the device.

Also the kernel version approved is already on our playbooks, v 5.6.

The BlackBerry Tablet Cryptographic Kernel, hereafter referred to as the cryptographic module or the module, provides the following cryptographic services:
     data encryption and decryption
     message digest and authentication code generation
     random data generation
     digital signature verification
     elliptic curve key agreement
    I don't know if this means that the Bridge could be expanded now to store the information securely on the device so it can be accessed later, or just approved as is. But they also show a wireless router in the diagram too. Anyway another hurdle crossed for the playbook.
    07-21-11 11:32 AM
    The Android player leaks after the approval comes through.... Hmmmmm.....
    07-21-11 01:19 PM
    What does the Android player have to do with the Cryptographic kernel?
    07-21-11 01:43 PM
    Can someone break this down...like "kernels for dummies" or something? I am admittedly technoretarded past a rather premature level.
    07-21-11 01:46 PM
    Bottom line, it's the best new's we have received in a long time, get prepared to be amazed...the PB is about to fly...
    Cheers
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-21-11 01:53 PM
    Bottom line, it's the best new's we have received in a long time, get prepared to be amazed...the PB is about to fly...
    Cheers
    Let's hope this is true!!! I know I have my fingers crossed.
    07-21-11 01:59 PM
    What does the Android player have to do with the Cryptographic kernel?
    Directly nothing, but the kernel could protect sensitive data on the device from the Android Player or rogue app on the device itself. RIM does need to give us an update for the kernel, we have it already, but now that it is approved they have a CYA and the agency using it has a CYA to say that sensitive data can be safely stored on the device. I think RIM was/is just being extremely conservative with QNX as they know BBOS well but QNX is new and they have basically doubled down on QNX being the future of Blackberry devices. It would be a huge embarrassment for a company like RIM if QNX gave them a black eye on security.
    Just Me likes this.
    07-21-11 01:59 PM
    07-21-11 02:04 PM
    Sweet. This is great news. Thanks for the Reuters feed.
    wmonger likes this.
    07-21-11 02:11 PM
    And this means what in the real world of the consumer? Zip.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-11 02:17 PM
    I get a kick out of you when I read your signature. It resembles you thats for sure!
    07-21-11 02:20 PM
    That depends on the consumer. For you it may be a non-event. Excellent news if the consumer is the government or government contractor.
    07-21-11 02:26 PM
    It will affect things like bringing netflix into the Playbook where 99% of the work is on the DRM.

Go and read the Texas Instruments' press release on their Android Netflix app that was certified by Netflix last week. They can't secure Android OS so the way TI did it --- was via a second OS through a hardware virtualization by ARM's Trustzone.
    battery and Just Me like this.
    07-21-11 02:28 PM
    I get a kick out of you when I read your signature. It resembles you thats for sure!
    Glad I can entertain you. LOL
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-21-11 02:42 PM
    RIM stock jumps 5% on the news today. Say what you will, this news matters.
    07-21-11 02:46 PM
    Let's get the discussion civil please.
    07-21-11 03:48 PM
    Today, Certicom (the RIM subsidiary who actually wrote Playbook's crypto kernel) also received a FIPS 140-2 certificate on the generic QNX/ARMv7 platform.

Validated 140-1 and 140-2 Cryptographic Modules

Guess what Certicom also sells --- DRM.

Certicom Digital Rights Management (DRM).

We are inching towards getting stuff like Netflix on the Playbook.
    I am JT likes this.
    07-21-11 05:58 PM
    Improvements to meet the governments needs will likely benefit all playbook users.
    Not really. DOD certificates is one item I always shrunk out of my OS. As a consumer who does not have anything with government communications or government contracts, it does not affect me.

The government security certificates will not help get Netlix, Hulu, HBO, Angry Birds, or any other "fun" apps.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-22-11 01:02 AM
    No one said it means anything to the average consumer. Nonetheless it counts in terms of helping the platform. Security will become more and more important. If this certification were easy then certainly lots of companies would have achieved it. I see nothing wrong with giving RIM credit where it is due.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 01:20 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD