I ordered my playbook a few days ago, and today i got an email from the seller that when i reicieve my playbook, i should check the serial number and send it back if it matches one of them. It says that they were recalled by RIM, due to a software update issue. I don't know if this is the original recall (back in May).

Is it worth returning, or it can be easily solved by forcing an update?
    12-29-11 01:34 PM
    you will know right away if it needs to be sent back, the issue i believe was when you start up the playbook for the first time it wont let you update the OS but there is a solution to it that can be found in the crackberry fourms somewhere. i think you just need to do a "debrick"
    howarmat and pluke100 like this.
    12-29-11 01:37 PM
    That was months ago when those were recalled. Your seller should have sent them back then. Interesting that they did not.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-29-11 01:38 PM
    you will know right away if it needs to be sent back, the issue i believe was when you start up the playbook for the first time it wont let you update the OS but there is a solution to it that can be found in the crackberry fourms somewhere. i think you just need to do a "debrick"
    That's correct.
    RIM can help you fix the issue if it is a recalled unit. No big deal.
    Willard814 and pluke100 like this.
    12-29-11 01:41 PM
    12-29-11 03:11 PM
    That is correct.
    pluke100 likes this.
    12-29-11 03:14 PM
    thanks for the quick reply. I'll tell you what happens with it arrives (hopefully early next week!)
    12-29-11 03:37 PM
    Might be a different recall from others. because this is what the seller told me:

"I don't have details about the recall, However I have been told it is not possible to resolve the problem."

This is a quite reliable seller and have been buying for ages from him. I have the option to get a replacement or a refund with shipping included.
    12-30-11 09:52 AM
    Do you have a list of serial numbers?
    12-30-11 10:00 AM
    lol, this affected very few playbooks. You know if it affects yours because you wouldn't have been able to complete the setup process when you turned it on the first time.
    12-30-11 10:08 AM
    Do you have a list of serial numbers?
    no, all i have is a package number, and if i get that package i have to return it back.
    12-30-11 10:23 AM
    Is it a 64gb model? There have been a couple of them that haven't had video chat on them and a debrick or anything you did could not fix the problem.
    12-30-11 10:50 AM
    Is it a 64gb model? There have been a couple of them that haven't had video chat on them and a debrick or anything you did could not fix the problem.
    no it's a 16gb model
    12-30-11 11:00 AM
    no it's a 16gb model
    It must be from the old recall. The debrick method done with the Blackberry Desktop software will get it setup properly. If it doesn't, just send it back.
    12-30-11 11:05 AM
    Just recieved it. when it comes to software update it says:

Could not activate this tablet. (2012)
    there was a problem registering with the blackberry provisioning system.

THis is the same problem as the May one? I'll try the debrick,
    blockbuy likes this.
    12-31-11 05:52 AM
    It didn't work
    12-31-11 07:10 AM
    The 2012 error means Blackberry doesn't have that tablets serial number on their system. There is a FAQ on that error if you do a search. I think it means that somewhere in the distribution system the serial number didn't get entered into the update servers. It is probably a security measure to ensure the Playbooks only get distributed through the proper channels.
    12-31-11 07:38 AM
    The 2012 error means Blackberry doesn't have that tablets serial number on their system. There is a FAQ on that error if you do a search. I think it means that somewhere in the distribution system the serial number didn't get entered into the update servers. It is probably a security measure to ensure the Playbooks only get distributed through the proper channels.
    looks like the only solution is to return it back then
    12-31-11 07:54 AM
    "My seller"? Was this a purchase from a reputable store? If so, why not name them here... they at least deserve some shame for holding onto units that should have been returned long ago under the original recall.

If it wasn't... any chance you've got one of the units that was stolen not long ago? Those would obviously have serial numbers that will cause trouble for you....
    12-31-11 08:12 AM
    "My seller"? Was this a purchase from a reputable store? If so, why not name them here... they at least deserve some shame for holding onto units that should have been returned long ago under the original recall.

If it wasn't... any chance you've got one of the units that was stolen not long ago? Those would obviously have serial numbers that will cause trouble for you....
    the seller is a top rated seller on ebay. I've bought a lot of stuff from them, and never had a problem. They will also refund all the money + shipping i paid if i choose to take a refund in case of a replacement.

He has sold over 600 tablets over the period of 3 months without any problems so i think it has to be a genuine recall of some products. He notified me before i had even recieved the product and told me to not accept the delivery or send it back with the given prepaid postage.

I'll keep you updated on what happens. I'm tempted to get a full refund, because i've been hearing about a lot of problems regard S/N, damaged screens etc..
    12-31-11 09:40 AM
    Is there a chance it's one of the stolen Canadian PlayBooks? As I recall, a bunch of PB's went missing a month or two ago. The search function of CB is broken, or I would've added a link.
    12-31-11 10:07 AM
    Yeah he probably wanted you to return it before you opened so you wouldn't have the chance to phone up rim and have the unit possibly tracked back to him if it was indeed one of the stolen units.
    12-31-11 10:52 AM
    Yeah he probably wanted you to return it before you opened so you wouldn't have the chance to phone up rim and have the unit possibly tracked back to him if it was indeed one of the stolen units.
    i tried to contact RIM, but it's not possible that i do an overseas call and spend i don't know how much money. I'm pretty unimpressed by RIM support. Other companies answer you even over twitter. Rim doesn't even have a proper support email
    12-31-11 11:29 AM
    i tried to contact RIM, but it's not possible that i do an overseas call and spend i don't know how much money. I'm pretty unimpressed by RIM support. Other companies answer you even over twitter. Rim doesn't even have a proper support email
    You don't need to call Canada, just the support number for your country.
    12-31-11 01:10 PM
    You don't need to call Canada, just the support number for your country.
    you got number for Malta?
    01-01-12 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD