I am a Blackberry smartphone user but I never had the chance to get a BlackBerry PlayBook. I live in the Philippines. And they don't sell that here anymore. What tablet should I pick? I am considering an iPad mini. I wanna use a tablet primarily for browsing, reading stuffs, and watching/streaming Youtube. Play games maybe a little, because I have no time for it also. Thanks for your suggestions. But how I wish I could have the PlayBook so I can round with one operating system only. Blackberry works for me.

Posted via skinned Z10 STL100-2/ 10.2.1.2102 my DadaBerry
    03-13-14 12:01 PM
    The iPad Mini is a nice selection, as is the Nexus 7, BUT you can still get a second hand playbook also. They can be found on ebay, you just need to find a seller willing to ship to your country. The PlayBook may be the best choice for you for it's ability to "bridge" with your current BlackBerry device and allow it to share the data connection, a VERY handy feature.
    03-13-14 12:06 PM
    I have the same problem, they dont sell the playbook in sweden, and would be Nice to not to have 2 diffrent os..
    I have never used the PB, does it feel old if u compare it to Ipad air?
    Was gonna use it for some browsning, Youtube, and maybe storage som movies to look at When im in our countryhouse..

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 02:34 PM
    If you do not need flash in your browsing it hard not to go with an IPad mini if size is an issue.... I suggest find a retailer if you can that has both IPad and Android... test drive it and go from there....
    03-13-14 03:00 PM
    I have the same problem, they dont sell the playbook in sweden, and would be Nice to not to have 2 diffrent os..
    Was gonna use it for some browsning, Youtube, and maybe storage som movies to look at When im in our countryhouse..

Posted via CB10
    Although the PlayBook has its advantages, it will feel dated next to the ipad air. The PlayBook launched in 2011 and the ipad air is practically brand new. It isn't really a fair comparison anyway.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    03-13-14 03:06 PM
    If you do not need flash in your browsing it hard not to go with an IPad mini if size is an issue.... I suggest find a retailer if you can that has both IPad and Android... test drive it and go from there....
    I got news for you, you CAN get flash on the iPad, I use flash on mine every day. I use Photon, but you can also get Puffin, Skyfire, and a few others.
    03-13-14 03:11 PM
    Although the PlayBook has its advantages, it will feel dated next to the ipad air. The PlayBook launched in 2011 and the ipad air is practically brand new. It isn't really a fair comparison anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Thats true... thinking of looking on the second hand market for a pb and try it out

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 03:23 PM
    I got news for you, you CAN get flash on the iPad, I use flash on mine every day. I use Photon, but you can also get Puffin, Skyfire, and a few others.
    Don't let Jobs know or he'll turn over in his grave. LOL. Technically, the flash is not "on" the iPad and runs off servers. So it will depend on the server performance. I run Puffin with android KitKat and it can have alot of server problems. The PB with Origami browser is the way to go or Win 8.1 Pro tablet.
    03-13-14 03:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    For browsing, youtube, and movies, I'd definitely recommend it. Great screen and sound quality. If you need apps, don't get it. It really does not feel like "old" technology and if you like BB10, you will like the OS. HDMI out to a flat screen TV at your country place with a simple, cheap cable rather than getting Apple TV for an iPad.
    03-13-14 03:50 PM
    I sold my PlayBook last year and bought myself an iPad Mini. I got a good deal on the mini and I am generally quite pleased with it. However after using a Z10 for the last few months, along side an iPhone 5S, iOS7 feels slightly dated. I used to love being able to use the swipe gestures to navigate my PlayBook as well as using BlackBerry bridge and its features.

The PlayBook is a good alternative if you are on a tight budget. Just remember the hardware is now getting old but for Web browsing and other basic function it is still good to use.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 04:30 PM
    How about windows 8.1 tablets? Is it good buy also?

03-13-14 05:52 PM

The RT version is pretty cheap these days. The future is unknown as it might merge with Windows Phone OS:
    Microsoft Is Not Killing Windows RT - InformationWeek
    The regular Windows 8.1 Microsoft Surface version can be pretty expensive. But shop around different manufacturers Toshiba, Dell, etc. They still lack a lot of popular apps but check out the Windows Store to see if there are enough for you.
    03-13-14 06:18 PM
    Full windows 8 tablets is a safer buy. RT is uncertain to me.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-13-14 06:20 PM

If you get an Atom processor tablet get one with a 3770 or 3740 cpu. The Toshiba and Dell versions are 8" versions and have the 3740. Both include Microsoft Home and Student software. The Dell is lighter by about 2 ounces and is currently availabke for about $207 on Amazon but does not have an HDMI port which is very useful in hooking up to a monitor. Both allow installation of a micro sd card and can be used with a powered usb hub. The 32 GB versions can be had for less than $300 in the USA. A refefence on specs for the Toshiba Encore which also includes a video on what you can do with the Toshiba is:

http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Toshiba/Encore

The 10 " tablet I know about is the HP Omni which runs the 3770 processor.

Whether any of these are good buys for you of course depends on what you want to do with it. All run Windows 8.1 just like a bigger computer but have just 2 GB of RAM. operate at 32 bit not 64 and can not run bigger programs like the Microsoft Pro 2 can.
    Last edited by jpash549; 03-13-14 at 08:07 PM.
    tack likes this.
    03-13-14 07:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hate to tell you, but regardless of what other device you are going to be using with the Playbook, the Playbook will be a different OS. Totally different app selection than the older Blackberries and again totally different from BB10. The device itself is in my opinion still built very well with forward facing speakers, is very solid and the swipe gestures are nice. That being said, it did come out in 2011, and app support has dwindled. I still use mine for games for my daughter, watching movies offline and for reading. Web browsing works, but is slow. While flash support is there, major websites are starting to require newer versions of flash, and the playbook won't be getting any updates. Yes, it'll still keep working for a while on many sites, but the breadth of flash support is SLOWLY starting to fall.

I'm still not sure what I would pick up if the Playbook stops working. My wallet says that the Nexus 7 will be my choice, but I've also looked at the ipad mini. Neither Android nor iOS excites me to be honest, and both have their good points and bad points. Seeing as I recently picked up a Chromecast, the nod may go to Android, but I'm not married to the device either.
    03-14-14 07:10 AM
    Hate to tell you, but regardless of what other device you are going to be using with the Playbook, the Playbook will be a different OS. Totally different app selection than the older Blackberries and again totally different from BB10. The device itself is in my opinion still built very well with forward facing speakers, is very solid and the swipe gestures are nice. That being said, it did come out in 2011, and app support has dwindled. I still use mine for games for my daughter, watching movies offline and for reading. Web browsing works, but is slow. While flash support is there, major websites are starting to require newer versions of flash, and the playbook won't be getting any updates. Yes, it'll still keep working for a while on many sites, but the breadth of flash support is SLOWLY starting to fall.

I'm still not sure what I would pick up if the Playbook stops working. My wallet says that the Nexus 7 will be my choice, but I've also looked at the ipad mini. Neither Android nor iOS excites me to be honest, and both have their good points and bad points. Seeing as I recently picked up a Chromecast, the nod may go to Android, but I'm not married to the device either.
    My experience is that if you have a browser that has a desktop user agent mode, if it is set to that and the desktop site needs flash version 12.X, you will get the update flash warning. If you play with the user agent and set it android, there really is only mobile version 11.2 available, and it will play OK. Either that or it will give you HTML5 content. I don't really know how BB10 works, e.g. if BBRY was able to update the mobile version or deal with it at the user agent level. It seems to run flash OK yet.
    03-14-14 10:36 AM
    I am a Blackberry smartphone user but I never had the chance to get a BlackBerry PlayBook. I live in the Philippines. And they don't sell that here anymore. What tablet should I pick? I wanna use a tablet primarily for browsing, reading stuffs, and watching/streaming Youtube. Play games maybe a little, because I have no time for it also. Thanks for your suggestions. But how I wish I could have the PlayBook so I can round with one operating system only. Blackberry works for me.

In light of your desired uses for a tablet if you can locate a BlackBerry PlayBook you will be very happy. There are applications for reading PDFs and e-books, watching YouTube videos, and web surfing. If you like games there is a good selection including my favourites Need for Speed and Space Invaders. While the hardware might be dated it performs well; you'll enjoy the sound quality of the built-in forward-facing stereo speakers and the video quality both on the tablet as well as via the micro-HDMI port connected to a television or monitor. The ability to connect to your Blackberry smartphone is a convenient feature although BlackBerry OS 10 is a pale shadow of BlackBerry Bridge which was available with BlackBerry OS 5/6/7.

For example,
    BlackBerry PlayBook PRD-38548-001 16GB, Wi-Fi, 7in - Black | eBay
    Blackberry Playbook 7" Tablet 1GHz 64GB PRD 38548 003 400040636335 | eBay

When shopping around I wouldn't pay more than USD250.00 plus shipping for any model of the BlackBerry PlayBook but only because no new applications are being developed nor is BlackBerry supporting it with future software updates.
    03-14-14 10:48 AM
    Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Keep them coming. :') I just hope I bought the PlayBook bundle before while it was still existing. XD

03-14-14 06:53 PM
    Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Keep them coming. :') I just hope I bought the PlayBook bundle before while it was still existing. XD

If you can find the BlackBerry Magnetic Rapid Charger, buy it for your BlackBerry PlayBook.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    03-14-14 08:27 PM