First off, I want to thank anyone who replies and comments on the thread. I am a long black berry user, over 12 years (started when RIM had only an email product, no phone) and will continue. I am looking into a tablet for work and home use. Work use will consist of viewing PDF files (price pages), working with excel / word docs and taking pics of work projects. I am a apple user with the following products/software...apple TV, ipod and itunes. I have searched you tube, forums, etc...on the playbook vs the Ipad2 and it seems it varies on the user. I will use my tablet at home to basically surf the web, take pics and view pics/videos of my child. The IPad2 will sync with my apple TV to play music, videos, etc..., and the display is very good, but other than that, its only the 10" display that I would favor. Not much on the 200K worth of apps, because bbappworld has all I need. The 7" playbook is nice to type on due to its size, but not so much when viewing pics, movies, videos, etc... compared to the 10" IPad2. the bridging option would definitely be awesome for email, but I can get email on the IPad2 via WIFI as well. I know RIM is speculating Q4, 2013 for the release of the 10" playbook, but can't wait that long. What else that you fellow blackberry users would like to throw in that would help me make this decision? I will never leave a blackberry phone for an IPhone, unless RIM forces us all to, due to a corporate meltdown. Also, this will throw a wrench into this machine....I work for Motorola and will not do the Droid, so ...... Thanks for any info!
    07-12-12 08:48 PM
    I love my PB and use it to view pics & videos on it all the time. I stream movies and TV shows and view them on our 50" flat screen via an hdmi cable.

There are a variety of apps for viewing pdf files.

I guess it boils down to whether or not you prefer a 10" or a 7" screen. Of course it could also boil down to whether or not you want to spend twice as much for slightly more screen real estate.

You really need to play with both a bit before you decide. I certainly prefer the UI on the PB as compared to my daughter-in-law's iPad I. My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter seems to have no difficulty using either. She knows to use gestures with my PB and the home button on the iPad. I know nothing about iPad II or III but I can't imagine that they are significantly different in operation.

I use the camera and video cameras on the PB and have been happy with the results but I'm no photographer.

Hope I've helped and not made your decision murkier!
    glassofpinot likes this.
    07-12-12 09:13 PM
    Get the current PlayBook. When the new 10 inch is released go for it. I think you'll be fairly satisfied. As for the size, who knows you might grow to like the 7 inch form factor. Due to the PlayBook not costing 499.99 anymore I think this is a reasonable choice especially if you're really wanting to go the PlayBook route. Try it out, if you don't like it just return it, there's no silly "30 minutes" of usage like with mobile phones/smartphones.
    07-12-12 09:15 PM
    It's not the size. It's how you use it. LOL.

For half the price go with the PB. Bonus is bridging to your BB.

As previously mentioned there are good apps for pdf.

I have 15' hdmi cable to connect to my hdtv or home theater.
    axllebeer likes this.
    07-12-12 09:26 PM
    I can't really compare as I don't know the ipad.

But the 7inches is a very portable size. I don't know the weight differences.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    07-12-12 09:27 PM
    I can't really compare as I don't know the ipad.

But the 7inches is a very portable size. I don't know the weight differences.
    The first thing I noticed when picking up my sister's new iPaid was how heavy it was.
    07-12-12 10:21 PM
    First off, I want to thank anyone who replies and comments on the thread. I am a long black berry user, over 12 years (started when RIM had only an email product, no phone) and will continue. I am looking into a tablet for work and home use. Work use will consist of viewing PDF files (price pages), working with excel / word docs and taking pics of work projects. I am a apple user with the following products/software...apple TV, ipod and itunes. I have searched you tube, forums, etc...on the playbook vs the Ipad2 and it seems it varies on the user. I will use my tablet at home to basically surf the web, take pics and view pics/videos of my child. The IPad2 will sync with my apple TV to play music, videos, etc..., and the display is very good, but other than that, its only the 10" display that I would favor. Not much on the 200K worth of apps, because bbappworld has all I need. The 7" playbook is nice to type on due to its size, but not so much when viewing pics, movies, videos, etc... compared to the 10" IPad2. the bridging option would definitely be awesome for email, but I can get email on the IPad2 via WIFI as well. I know RIM is speculating Q4, 2013 for the release of the 10" playbook, but can't wait that long. What else that you fellow blackberry users would like to throw in that would help me make this decision? I will never leave a blackberry phone for an IPhone, unless RIM forces us all to, due to a corporate meltdown. Also, this will throw a wrench into this machine....I work for Motorola and will not do the Droid, so ...... Thanks for any info!
    OK, so it seems like you are comparing to the ipad2, so lets go!

We will start with Office apps. Yes, the PlayBook ships with DocstoGO natively. Is it the best iteration of docstogo? From what I hear, I would say no. That being said, I find docstogo on the playbook very satisfactory for me, although I am not what you would consider a hardcore user for these types of apps. They do what I want to do, and they work decently. Are there better office apps available on the ipad? Yes, there are. They all cost money, but there are better alternatives, mainly the docstogo on the appstore that goes for I think $10-15.

OK, so web, pics, vidoes.

Web browsing on the Playbook is extremely enjoyable, and renders pages in desktop fashion. It supports flash as well, and has the highest HTML5 score of any mobile browser out there. Better than some desktop browsers as well. BB10 html5 scores score higher than any browser current and upcoming so far. This includes desktop browsers as well, so its pretty impressive. Page loading is slightly slower, but you get so much more per page compared to safari.

Pics and videos... Ipad 2 are horrible at this. With a front camera of 0.3mp and a back of a little over 1mp, they are honestly horrible. They are vga quality cameras, and dont shoot HD videos. Playbook cameras are 3mp front and 5mp back, both of which shoot 1080 video. Also, the ipad 2 screen is, not comparable to the playbook screen. Playbook has a much nicer display with a higher pixel density. The playbook speakers also blow the ipad's out of the water. It does have a 7inch screen, which has its ups and downs. 10inch also has ups and downs, this is up to you to decide.

Bridge.... This function really completes the package if you have a bb smarthphone. You can view and reply to emails and bbm's, view your phones calendar, tasks and memopad. You can open weblinks, pictures, music, documents etc directly from your phone and display it on your playbook with the click of a button. You can access files that are stored on your phone via your Playbook. You can also use the data on your bb via bridge, and since its not a tether, you won't get charged for it. Simple as that. You can have internet on your pb anywhere, anytime as long as your bb smartphone is with you.

Brige also allows you to use your bb as a remote control for your playbook, using the trackpad as a mouse and the keyboard as a keyboard. You can also use it alongside presentations when dealing with powerpoint, etc.

The Playbook has an hdmi output so everthing is easily displayed on your tv, and then controlled via your bb phone through remote bridge. Its powerful multitaking capabilities mean you can do everything and anything at once, and easily switch back between apps without interruption. Everything just keeps going, it doesnt pause in the background, although you can choose to pause all apps in the background if youd like.

Hardware wise, in my opinion, there is no comparison. PlayBook is the clear, clear winner.

Ecosystem wise, the Apple is the clear, clear winner. Its appstore is the best on the market with a plethora of apps, music, and videos to purchase. Unfortunately, I find it ends there for me.

The integration between playbook and bb smartphone is unmatched for me, as well as the qnx experience which i find superior.

I know this post seems slightly biased, but it is what it is.
    alan510, kbz1960 and glassofpinot like this.
    07-12-12 10:28 PM
    Obviously you want a playbook if you have a blackberry phone so you can bridge to it.
    then you can browse anywhere you get phone service using your phone data plan. You can view your phones contacts and email, even remote control the playbook from your phone. There is nothing better than this combo.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-12-12 10:38 PM
    We have several PBs at work and they are used for several purposes, but my work PB is mainly used for viewing tech manuals and orders, reports, engineering schematics, while generating much of the same also. I'm also required to take photos and videos on a regular basis for troubleshooting purposes and discrepancy reports being forwarded to the respective manufacturer, which so far have raved about the quality of the photos. Since I travel and also do field work, wifi only is a definite disadvantage because I rarely have access while in the field. But with Bridge, I can send and receive documents and emails wherever I'm working. Definite deal sealer for us.

We have had 2 iPad2s in the house, one still here and I can confidently tell you their photo quality is nowhere near the PBs. Neither is the display. That is one of the reasons my wife switched to a PB. She uses her's for teaching purposes, taking and displaying photos frequently. She uses the PB for presentations and displaying the photos through PPT or on her classroom tv, the HDMI output being put to use again. No Apple TV needed. Using the app Send to PC, she transfers to her computer in seconds. Our company has a couple of pocket projectors (the size of a portable harddrive) that plug directly into the PB for the same purpose. She also prefers the portability, the PB fitting in her purse with no problems. She has been to school football and baseball events, taken photos with the PB and sent them in through Bridge on the spot. Not possible with a wifi only device and no tethering/data plan fees.

I recommend trying a PB out, as well as the iPad2, research and then see what works best for you. But as far as the PB goes, it will not have any problems meeting your needs as you describe, except if screen size is more critical than portability. Good luck
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-12-12 at 10:48 PM.
    Stewartj1 and glassofpinot like this.
    07-12-12 10:42 PM
    Welcome to CB berry12years! You would most definitely be saving some money if you go with the PB but from what I've read from you is that the PB might be too small for you but personally I have no problem viewing pictures or videos on it. Personally I love the size of the PB and you can always hook it to an HDTV via HDMI. Correct me I'm wrong but it seems the iPad doesn't have an HDMI port and they also seem to use proprietary connection ports (I can't stand it when a company does that). Aside from Quicktime, I don't own any Apple products and I believe I never will so I wouldn't be able to tell you much about the iPad. The PB is 0.9 lbs/425 grams and the current iPad is 1.44 lbs/652 grams in weight so the PB is lighter since it's 7". The PB has dual HD cameras, 3 MP front facing and a 5 MP rear camera both recording in 1080p. The PB can use Blackberry Bridge using your Blackberry smartphone for internet access while you would have to pay extra to use the internet away from WiFi on iPad. Both devices have their own advantages and disadvantages and one being the price point. I'm sure if you buy the current PB and if and when RIM brings the 10" version I'm sure you'll find a buyer for your 7" PB. To get a better understanding you would have to take the time to try both to see which one you like better. Good luck!
    07-12-12 10:45 PM
    It's not the size. It's how you use it. LOL.

For half the price go with the PB. Bonus is bridging to your BB.

As previously mentioned there are good apps for pdf.

I have 15' hdmi cable to connect to my hdtv or home theater.
    I also have a 15' HDMI cable. I don't make a lot of $, but after the purchase of my 15' cable off of Amazon for around $12, my 7" PlayBook turns into a 32" tablet. I use Flash a lot, I also use the Bridge app a lot including using remote control. Personally, I hate iOS and find QNX to be vastly superior. I do almost everything on my PlayBook that I used to use a netbook for and it's still a rare occasion that I have to pull out a normal computer.

But really think you should try them both. I hate the iPad personally, but many love it. Factor in the price difference and that might be a major factor in the end. But really try them both. I'm confident that you will like either, but I think you will love the PlayBook. And as pointed out by another above, the iPad2 cameras are crap. So know that going in.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-12-12 at 10:55 PM.
    07-12-12 10:46 PM
    Get the iPad.
    07-12-12 10:53 PM
    Hey,
    I've totally been there. I spent months researching the best tablet to buy. I've watched like YouTube videos from day to night about different tablet reviews. In the end, I've decided with the Playbook 64GB. And the Playbook 64GB is cheaper than iPad's 16GB. I've never regretted my decision on the Playbook. In fact, I want to buy more for my family. I have an Ipod Touch too and ever since I got my Playbook, I've never touched it for months. Go for it mannnnn! The PlayBook did not disappoint me at all. All the replies above mine sums up a lot especially apengue1's post. What's more exciting is BB10 on Playbook in the future!
    07-12-12 10:56 PM
    i agree with anson1331 on that one... i bought a pb32g excellent toy .. no regrets ..
    07-12-12 11:17 PM
    Here is a consideration that I haven't seen referenced before... I have been using computers for decades. First it was all keyboard. Then came the mouse... And so after many years of working with Windows iterations, I am keyboard and mouse dominant. Right now I am typing this on a bluetooth keyboard and beside it I have a Logitech bluetooth mouse. In the PB OS, the critical piece of functionality that I appreciate most is the cursor on the screen. Mobility today means having computing power when and where you want or need it. Having a wheel mouse function and a cursor on the screen works for me, for the way that I interface with computers. (I touch type 120 wpm with gusts to 150 and could never survive with onscreen keys alone.). So, yes, I am most comfortable when it is laptop-like. But give me a cursor on the screen any day versus my big fat fingers.
    07-12-12 11:46 PM
    To be honest, for the uses you described I'd recommend the iPad just because of the larger screen, even though the Playbook IMO is an excellent product. This assumes the cost difference isn't a big deal to you. I think the iPad's screen, in square inches/centimeters, is roughly twice as large as the Playbook's screen.
    Last edited by CHIP72; 07-13-12 at 12:14 AM.
    07-13-12 12:12 AM
    Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums.
    Totally buy an iPad.
    07-13-12 03:10 AM
    Love my Playbook! Smart choice!
    07-13-12 04:08 AM
    Well, to be honest - ask the question on a Playbook forum and overall people are likely to direct you to buying a PB. Ask on an ipad forum and people will tell you to get the ipad. I suppose the skill is trying to find which group of people you are going to be more 'like' or which group you better trust!!

Have to say I followed a similar route to anson1331 with the deliberating.

Ultimately I was price sensitive and the dropped PB price was enough to to make the PB a good choice (and I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy and the ipad2 as alternatives) for me as
    - for the price I could afford the 64gb one and avoid any future space worries
    - it overall had better hardware IMO and better UI I had trusted that the apps and software would improve, although the main things I wanted was more on the basics - browsing, email, organiser capabailities, reading news services etc (nothing too snazzy) and OS2.0 gets you most the way there with those
    - the 7 inch form factor was going to better for my commute
    - I have a BB phone
    - The existence if this forum and the people on it which was going to help overcome some of the shortcomings of the software etc with sideloading etc
    -although there are many more apps on itunes etc, as being price sensitive I knew I wasn't going to be paying for many of them in any case so it was free ones which I was going to be after and usually available via Android sideload
    - ultimately, a bit irrational, but I am not an apple fan and I dislike the way that apple items are heavily set up to basically work with other apple items - I like to be able to tinker with gadgets too!

Overall, the software has come on leaps and bounds and the pace of app production seems to be picking up - and with sideloading it is almost there for me - though I still want the addition of a FT app that works and the odd other app like Tango/Skype for cross platform chat although by the end of the year it will probably be complete. And I still haven't taken advantage of a few of its strengths like HDMI out yet. My biggest irritation is the file management (or lack of) system - but I can't believe this won't be sorted.

Hopefully this is helpful to your decision.
    07-13-12 04:15 AM
    Get the iPad.
    Why should he?
    07-13-12 07:21 AM
    Why should he?
    In the usage scenario he describes, the 60% bigger screen would seem to be the killer advantage.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    07-13-12 07:23 AM
    ...I think the iPad's screen, in square inches/centimeters, is roughly twice as large as the Playbook's screen.
    iPad2: 9.7 inch screen, 1024x768 pixels, 132ppi
    PB: 7 inch screen, 1024 x 600 pixels, 167ppi

So the iPad2 has 28% more pixels than the PB. But the iPad2's screen resolution is lower, so its screen size is indeed twice the size in square inches/centimeters (105% larger by my calculation, assuming square pixels on both displays).

The PB screen does has two advantages.

The PB screen is much brighter than that of the iPad2: over 2 and a half times as bright at the default brightness, over a third brighter at maximum. The PB is said to be one of the fiew tablets which is usable outdoors in direct sunlight. Screen characteristics of both tablets are reported here in this very long list of tablets (and the PB's maximum screen brightness is still the leader):
    | CNET updates tablet test results | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews
    Of course, the very bright screen works against battery life.

I have seen only one test of tablet color fidelity, and it is in French:
    | RIM BlackBerry Playbook : Test complet
    This test found average delta_E = 4, and the article said the PB was the only tablet tested to date which approached good color fidelity (mean delta_E between 1 and 3). Edit: The same site reported average delta_E = 5.7 for the iPad2, which according to the report is better than the tablet average.
    | Apple iPad 2 Wi-Fi - 3G : Test complet
    Out of curiosity, I checked the same site's test for the new iPad: mean delta-E = 2.1, high color fidelity.
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 07-13-12 at 08:21 AM.
    07-13-12 08:06 AM
    In the usage scenario he describes, the 60% bigger screen would seem to be the killer advantage.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    But his arms and hands would get tired a lot sooner due to the heavier weight of the iPaid.
    07-13-12 08:20 AM
    Having said that, the other consideration is which ecosystem the op is already invested in - if he/she is keeping their photos in picasa/google and using gmail then maybe a nexus 7?
    07-13-12 08:26 AM
    The WiFi BlackBerry PlayBook coupled via BlackBerry Bridge with a BlackBerry smartphone is a winning combination for the OP's stated requirements and use case. Seriously, BlackBerry Bridge is a brilliant decision on the part of Research In Motion.
    07-13-12 08:44 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD