I had my first experience with an ipad (2) today. Amazing. I was shocked, and a little depressed as a PB owner, at how fast and responsive it was on all the apps I tried, especially TV apps but drfinitely not limited to them.There was no comparison with my PB, which leaves me wondering about all the people who testify that the ipad 2 struggles to compete with the PB. How do they manage to compare the PB favourably when it offers so much less functionality. oK, I get the price difference, and on that basis the PB is not a bad product if money is an issue. And i really like some PB features, such as swiping. But frankly, the ipad is in quite a different league, in my not so humble opinion.
    12-10-12 07:31 PM
    The moral of the story is instead of relying on someone else opinion, you have to experience it yourself. The good thing is the PB did not cost you an arm or a leg. You still can look forward to getting an IPad. Only you will know what works for you.
    12-10-12 07:43 PM
    With me, it's the price thing. Now that I've said that, it's the value I place for the price I'm willing to pay. The features of the PB are too numerous to mention. For $150 I bought a second PB for my wife for Christmas. She can read ebooks, surf, watch her shows as she cleans house, stream Pandora....... Or let it set on the counter unused. For $150, I don't really care, but it's a lot better than spending $4-500 and letting it set on the counter unused. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that doesn't have to have Peter Pan peanut butter if there's a lot cheaper alternative that I like.
    12-10-12 08:00 PM
    @bambinoitalino: Your response is too logical, lacking none of the fanboism I would expect from a site devoted to a particular platform.

I, frankly, never felt that a tablet is a must have device. It's nice to have, for sure, but not a necessity, especially when I already have a desktop and netbook. For a convenient, always on device to indulge my web browsing/email impulses, it works great... but not at $500, the starting price for an iPad. For $200, the PlayBook works for me. I'd invest more if a tablet becomes a primary device for me. If the next PlayBook allows me to do more work on it, then I'd invest. For the moment, the utility of the iPad and PlayBook are the same, and the price tag differences reflect a bit of the smoothness I'm willing to give up for the money.
    kdeckels likes this.
    12-10-12 08:00 PM
    Size. Matters. ipads are too big imho

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-10-12 08:40 PM
    How do they manage to compare the PB favourably when it offers so much less functionality...
    In what ways did the iPad seem more functional?

One of the reasons I bought a PlayBook was because I liked it's email (etc.) features, as it seemed to be about as "practical" as a tablet could be. I've never really used an iPad much, but if they're even better at doing tasks like email, calender, etc. then I really need to take a longer look at one...
    12-10-12 09:07 PM
    The native email on the PB is bad IMO. Its extremely slow and clunky. If you use the bridge all the time that is different.
    12-10-12 09:12 PM
    The native email on the PB is bad IMO. Its extremely slow and clunky. If you use the bridge all the time that is different.
    but the native email offers a lot more.., like seen in body message formatting, and others.
    grouped by subject.., also is a very nice thing.

bridge email I use all the time, since all my email accounts are there like in the blackberry.
    but the features in tne native email are nowhere to be found in the bridge email. and I want them in the bridge ....
    12-11-12 12:13 AM
    Playbook does everything I want it to do and if I need some app I can side load it. Do I care it doesn't have Netflix or Skype? I have other devices I use for Netflix and never use Skype. Instagram etc is in the same boat.

As for the iPad being a smooth well oiled machine. It crashes has lookups etc. It's not immune to running buggy apps. It's far from the best in user experience hitting the home button is slow and not productive.

As for apps, the iTunes platform is a horrible experience that's never been fixed. There is so much actual junk in the app store, a person spends a lot of time sorting through the crap to find something useful.

For $120 the playbook runs circles around most tablets. I can use a micro Hdmi cable etc. I'm not stuck buying apple accessories that are overpriced at a high price. It's cheap made in china with 700% markups.
    12-11-12 01:01 AM
    I use my IPAD 2 as a entertainment device. Gaming,Movies and more gaming of course.
    Playbook its more school & work related usage. Emailing, Presentation, Scheduling information stuff.
    12-11-12 01:24 AM
    It's great that this thread has stayed substantive and not personal.

Bambino:. Dove habitato?
    12-11-12 05:03 AM
    but the native email offers a lot more.., like seen in body message formatting, and others.
    grouped by subject.., also is a very nice thing.

bridge email I use all the time, since all my email accounts are there like in the blackberry.
    but the features in tne native email are nowhere to be found in the bridge email. and I want them in the bridge ....
    It migh be more featured but its still not near complete for what a real email client needs. This will be addressed once bb10 gets here, sometime next summer maybe
    12-11-12 05:31 AM
    Love my PB, but mainly because it cost me so little. If I make a mistake and either leave it somewhere or I manage to kill it by dropping it in the Thames, then I'm not likely to lose too much sleep over it. Don't get me wrong I'll be mildly annoyed but it wouldn't be the same issue as dropping a �500 Ipad
    kdeckels and Ian5986 like this.
    12-11-12 05:40 AM
    I have both, and to be honest I haven't touched my playbook in months. I hate the file management system, the browser hang ups, and the lack of high quality apps. The gestures are really cool, however there's more to a tablet than switching between apps. I like to watch MLB/NBA games, read books from my nook collection, use google chrome, use awesome stock market apps, stream Netflix etc etc all which cannot be accomplished from the playbook.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    brianatbb likes this.
    12-11-12 05:51 AM
    I don't know why people compare 10" tablets with 7" tablets. They serve 2 totally different functions. I might have understood if you compared the PlayBook with the iPad mini but then again that still would have been a losing argument. All the other tablets are missing 3 key things. True multitasking, Bridge, and most importantly QNX.
    12-11-12 06:05 AM
    I don't know why people compare 10" tablets with 7" tablets. They serve 2 totally different functions. I might have understood if you compared the PlayBook with the iPad mini but then again that still would have been a losing argument. All the other tablets are missing 3 key things. True multitasking, Bridge, and most importantly QNX.
    Those three things have not made the PB a success. Ill take the os with strong developer support over bridge and qnx any day. .

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    mikeo007 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-11-12 06:14 AM
    For the last week I've been at a conference in Rome, with both Playbook and iPad2. Haven't used the iPad except for maybe 15 min. Reason: Bridge.

I've been updating website via Wordpress app on my 9930 as well as Facebook and Twitter, thanks to the keyboard which I'm using to bang out this post via Bridge. I don't have to rely on wifi for the Playbook, and have full access to everything I need. And yes, the smaller size is ideal. I have literally paid for the PB in what I've saved from not having to pay for wifi (10 euro for 3 hours in my hotel--and when I'm here, it's 1-2 bars only).

So again, I'm just really content. Does what it needs to do.
    12-11-12 06:41 AM
    I prefer the way the PB transfers files to and from a PC. My wife tried to load a lecture on her ipad to watch on the way to work and if she waited for all the syncing and updating that itunes insisted on doing she'd have missed her train.
    I decided to get my Playbook after trying out Photoshop Express on her ipad. I had a bit of a look at app world and saw some photo apps, so I figured I could find something that met my needs. I have to say that none of them are really as pollished, though some do things PS Exp can't. The biggest dissapointment was the inability to transfer pictures from my camera to the PB via the USB port (expecting an Eye-fi card for Xmas).
    I just tried the podcast app that came with ios6 and it leaves the one that comes with the playbook (though not outside of Nth America, I had to find a bar file and sideload it) for dead.
    Yes Apple has thousands of zombie apps and 90% of their apps are garbage, but the percentage of good to garbage on the playbook is not much better. The real problem is that, apart from some games and a tiny number of apps, the best available on the ipad is non existant or inferior on the PB.
    It's all very well RIM going around the world helping small devs create apps, but they need to get some heavy hitters on board or the future doesn't look good at all.
    BigAl_BB9900 and BlazorBoy like this.
    12-11-12 06:42 AM
    You are right, I'm not a fan boy per se. But you won't see me doling out money to get IPAD, Nexus or Samsung Galaxy anytime soon. I was not in the market for a tablet. Playbook got me interested or the price of it did. I bought the first one at the first price cut last year. And I like it. Subsequently I got two more and help a few coworkers get theirs as well. All of us were surprise by the quality of the tablets for the price we were getting. Should both of my Playbook die out on me down the road, rest assure BlackBerry will be the first brand I'll be looking for a replacement even without the price cut.
    12-11-12 08:01 AM
    All the other tablets are missing 3 key things. True multitasking, Bridge, and most importantly QNX.
    1) For Ios I cannot say, but on Android multitasking works ok now.

2) Few people use BB phones nowadays, and among those few need to connect them with a tablet. There are comparable solutions on Android.

3) All the excellence of QNX came BEFORE RIM bought it. Even the few mail apps that were available on QNX desktop were better than RIM's.
    12-11-12 08:26 AM
    It migh be more featured but its still not near complete for what a real email client needs. This will be addressed once bb10 gets here, sometime next summer maybe
    What does the iPad emailer do that the PB emailer can't?

With email, I pretty much just read, reply and attach an occasional file. The PB is pretty snappy with doing that much at least. Hitting Reply for example takes about half a second to open to the point I can begin typing.

There are other PB things that seem unfinished to me though, such as the lack of editable browser bookmarks, can't re-arrange home screens and no "Profiles" like our phones have. But then again, aside from the bookmarks I don't think the iPad has those either.
    12-11-12 08:47 AM

3) All the excellence of QNX came BEFORE RIM bought it. Even the few mail apps that were available on QNX desktop were better than RIM's.
    I've had my PB just over a year now, and within that time, we've spent two periods of setback to QNX performance on this tablet. The first was Spring of this year when 1.0.8 was causing a lot of lag and instability after they first introduced the Android VM. Took months before those issues were patched. The second is right now. Problems are back. Lots of complaints are going around about gradual deterioration of OS speed over time (see the recent Wipe your PB thread) along with browser and keyboard lag.

Any one have a list of keyboard, browsing, and OS performance issues being complained about a lot on the iPad mini or the Nexus 7 right now?
    12-11-12 09:07 AM
    Look at the Android tablets also; they are quick, smooth, and fully integrated, and cost much less than an iPad. There are nice 7" models as well.
    And all run email fully, not like the PB, which doesn't provide decent folder support, and won't keep messages more than a month. Awful, awful, awful.
    12-11-12 09:09 AM
    Do the iPad or Android mailboxes intergrate email, facebook, twitter and linkedin into one, universal messages list?
    12-11-12 09:21 AM
    1) For Ios I cannot say, but on Android multitasking works ok now.

2) Few people use BB phones nowadays, and among those few need to connect them with a tablet. There are comparable solutions on Android.

Is 70-80 Million users really "few people"?
    12-11-12 10:11 AM
34 12