Hello all: tried to post this in the ATT carrier forum, but was told that no new threads allowed, so I'm posting this here.

I am an old time ATT customer (since 99) and was contemplating purchasing the playbook. I heard all of the uproar with regards to ATT not allowing free tethering off the bat. I think I remember that there is an additional tethering fee monthly of 20 bucks or something.

I know there is that workaround I read about (rroyy.com or something). My question is does this tethering fee apply to everyone, or just non-grandfathered customers? If it does, I suppose I could dwnld the workaround to avoid further rape by ATT. Any other grandfathered unlimited data customers have experience with free tethering with ATT (I think this is what the playbook was designed for)? Thanks!
    02-25-12 12:17 PM
    Yes the Bridge from rroyy.com is what most if not all AT&T customers are using to surf the web on their Playbook. If you have unlimited then you should not have any issue.
    02-25-12 12:25 PM
    i'm grandfathered in as well, if you use the official one from the app world you will get a pop up box from at&t saying that you need a tethering plan, if you use the one from rroyy (like i do) then you will have smooth sailing. I have been using rroyy bridges and i will never use the official version because of at&t
    02-25-12 12:31 PM
    Thanks for the reply Rosebud! So I could potentially just tether up normally and not have to pay the extra fee since I'm grandfathered in?
    r p1 likes this.
    02-25-12 12:32 PM
    Thanks for the reply Rosebud! So I could potentially just tether up normally and not have to pay the extra fee since I'm grandfathered in?
    If your using rroyy yes with no problems but as Johnsojus stated any other bridge app will give AT&T a reason to charge you for tethering.
    02-25-12 12:36 PM
    Awesome! Thanks for the information. I will just avoid the ATT umbilical cord and use the rroyy one directly!
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-25-12 12:54 PM
    Yes, but don't confuse bridge with tethering. They're different things. Just about all US carriers will charge you extra for tethering. They also call it mobile hotspot. I have Verizon and do pay 20$/month for 2GB. What's the difference you may ask...hotspot/tethering is faster and it does make a difference when streaming movies.
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 02-25-12 at 01:15 PM.
    02-25-12 01:13 PM
    Yes, but don't confuse bridge with tethering. They're different things. Just about all US carriers will charge you extra for tethering. They also call it mobile hotspot. I have Verizon and do pay 20$/month for 2GB. What's the difference you may ask...hotspot/tethering is faster and it does make a difference when streaming movies.
    AT&T considers Bridge tethering, while other carriers don't.
    02-25-12 01:17 PM
    AT&T is full of crap.
    02-25-12 01:19 PM
    I'm a little confused now...

I thought "bridging" was using your playbook along with your blackberry to do stuff like email...

And "tethering" was the fun stuff- surfing the web, watching videos and movies.

I was under the impression that under a normal ATT contract bridging was free but tethering would cost you like 20 bucks monthly, UNLESS you downloaded a workaround like rroyy.

My original post was in reference to my grandfathered-in status...if I'm one of these customers who's been with ATT forever, would I still have to fork over the 20 dollar tethering fee or is one of the perks of being grandfathered-in free tethering?
    02-25-12 01:50 PM
    They are full of crap big time. Check this out. Good read.

http://mashable.com/2012/02/24/throt...BlackBerry+%29

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-25-12 01:54 PM
    I'm a little confused now...

I thought "bridging" was using your playbook along with your blackberry to do stuff like email...

And "tethering" was the fun stuff- surfing the web, watching videos and movies.

I was under the impression that under a normal ATT contract bridging was free but tethering would cost you like 20 bucks monthly, UNLESS you downloaded a workaround like rroyy.

My original post was in reference to my grandfathered-in status...if I'm one of these customers who's been with ATT forever, would I still have to fork over the 20 dollar tethering fee or is one of the perks of being grandfathered-in free tethering?
    Bridging uses your phones normal data connection while tethering uses your phone as a modem and establishes a distinct connection with a separate IP address. Using the Bridge is transparent to the carrier since the data flows directly to and from the phone in the same manner as if you were using the data connection with the phone (which is essentially what you are doing).
    02-25-12 02:51 PM
    Bridging does what tethering does but at bluetooth speeds, not 3G speeds. So what does that mean? Streaming video is slow when the bridge is how you are getting your data, but web browsing works fine.

AT&T blocked the free data sharing on the bridge app, but does allow file sharing, email, contacts, etc. But with an easy work around on crackberry there is a bridge app not in the AT&T app store, that can be found on your Blackberry device internet browser that enables the full bridge with everything being free!

AT&T was the only carrier in the world to my knowledge that pulled this BS and when my contract is up I am leaving them for their shady business practices...
    02-25-12 02:56 PM
    I'll try to clear up the confusion and hopefully not create more.
    Bridge and tether are indeed different but they both use the bluetooth connection.
    You can tether your phone to devices like laptops or other tablets to get an Internet connection. There is a separate setup section of the PB just for this purpose. Many carriers in the US charge for this service.
    The bridge app exists only on BB and the PB. It allows you to mirror you email, bbm, calendar, contacts, memo and task from your BB phone.
    It also allows you to connect to the Internet using your existing data plan.
    This is what att has a problem with. They can't tell what device is using the data.
    With the bridge you won't have access the app world and some apps but the browser works fine.. If you were to tether the PB would behave as if you were on wifi.

If you get the bridge app from rroyy you are just getting the app every other carrier uses.
    ATT had a special app made to block the browser from connecting to the Internet unless you have tethering added to your account.
    I also have the unlimited ATT plan and with the generic bridge app it works fine. Using it now actually. How long can it take to rotate tires?
    Last edited by Chaddface; 02-25-12 at 03:27 PM.
    saudadeii likes this.
    02-25-12 03:21 PM
    I have an unlimited data plan with ATT and I can not get tether unless I change my plan, which I am not ready to do. Read on your website that tethering could be done with roxyy.com bridge. 1. Can roxyy.com bridge be transfered from an Apple computer. 2. Can I remove the original ATT bridge app that I have in my phone now? 3 Will the roxyy. com bridge enable me to tether from my BB phone to BB playbook.?
    03-15-12 05:07 PM
    I have an unlimited data plan with ATT and I can not get tether unless I change my plan, which I am not ready to do. Read on your website that tethering could be done with roxyy.com bridge. 1. Can roxyy.com bridge be transfered from an Apple computer. 2. Can I remove the original ATT bridge app that I have in my phone now? 3 Will the roxyy. com bridge enable me to tether from my BB phone to BB playbook.?
    The bridge app must be downloaded to your phone via the phone browser. Delete the app world version and restart the phone first.
    03-15-12 05:09 PM
    The Rroyy version is installed OTA (over the air). You do not need your MAC to do so.

Yes, you would uninstall the AT&T version, then install the Rroyy version.

Tether is *not* the same as bridge, but the answer is yes.

I use the Rroyy version to bridge my PB to my AT&T 9800 and it works fine.
    03-15-12 05:15 PM
    Thanks Chaddface and saudadeii for your responses.
    03-15-12 05:35 PM
    OK...

Unlmted data grandfather can't teather without changing the data plan. Still don't know if you can work around for the mobile hotspot (any att people abbey to do this?)

The rroyy app is ota. Delete the old one first.
    03-15-12 06:16 PM
    A newbie here. I have a Playbook and would loved to tether. How do I do it:? I checked rroy.com but I wasn't all sure what to download. HELP an old guy! Thanks.
    04-14-13 12:03 PM
    A newbie here. I have a Playbook and would loved to tether. How do I do it:? I checked rroy.com but I wasn't all sure what to download. HELP an old guy! Thanks.
    What phone do you have?
    04-14-13 12:10 PM
    As Mecca said, what you download from rroyy.com depends on your model phone. But you download it OTA directly from the phone when visiting that site.
    04-14-13 12:36 PM
    I have a 9800 Torch. AT&T OS6. Downloaded correct bridge from Rroyy.com. Installed it after deleting and restarted BB. Went to tether setup on PB and don't know what to do next. Help!
    04-28-13 09:09 PM
    I have a 9800 Torch. AT&T OS6. Downloaded correct bridge from Rroyy.com. Installed it after deleting and restarted BB. Went to tether setup on PB and don't know what to do next. Help!
    You find the Bridge app on the phone and open it. And open Gear/Options/Bridge on the Playbook. It has pretty clear instructions on the pairing process. You can either scan a bar code or do a manual pairing typing in some code numbers.
    04-28-13 11:10 PM
    You find the Bridge app on the phone and open it. And open Gear/Options/Bridge on the Playbook. It has pretty clear instructions on the pairing process. You can either scan a bar code or do a manual pairing typing in some code numbers.
    What barcode? What numbers? It is as clear as "you just make a lot of money". Clear and useless!
    04-28-13 11:43 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD