So, came across this post on Inside Blackberry. Not sure why it's not news on CrackBerry yet?

BlackBerry Bridge Now Available to AT&T Customers �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Posted a long message, which hasn't been approved by moderators apparently. Posted the following message 24 hrs later, which contains what I think is a valid question:

"I'm not happy that my comments have not been posted yet.

One of the main things that i asked, and i will keep on asking:

Has RIM been pressured into helping AT&T identify the data signature of a BlackBerry Bridge browser request, so that AT&T has now got the technology to charge for data traffic that the AT&T customer already is paying for?

Blackberry Bridge is, at least for the customer, the best way to maximize the use of their data plan that they're already paying for. Now AT&T has another way to charge for a service, for which the customer is already paying.

RIM, let us know. We're buying your products, which says that this product is better than others. It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep on remembering this."

Now, I'm not one of the Blackberry bashers, and I'm not going to threaten everyone by saying that I'm putting my PB on eBay, etc.

However, I do think I'm raising a valid question here: why is AT&T able to differentiate between PB-browser initiated traffic, vs for instance the regular browser on a BB phone. And did RIM assist AT&T in finding out / validating the BlackberryBridge technology?

I do know I should be asking this question to AT&T, and possibly not to RIM. However, since one is the supplier of the technology, the other offering the network to use it on, both have at least some shared responsibility.

Or maybe i'm totally wrong, and I would like to know why.

BTW, my PB, Bridge and Torch are still happily communicating. However, I haven't seen this month's bill yet ;-)

Let me know your thoughts.

Edit: came across this discussion, couple of days old, related to this topic:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rowser-627365/
    Last edited by TheRealRoland; 07-07-11 at 09:20 PM.
    07-07-11 09:13 PM
    07-07-11 09:19 PM
    well, apologies for posting this. However, no new information about charges from AT&T for this functionality?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 09:47 PM
    well, apologies for posting this. However, no new information about charges from AT&T for this functionality?

Users will be able to access information that is coming to their BlackBerry device, such as emails and calendars, free of charge, but if you want to use the web you will be forced to sign up for the $20 tethering package.
    ^ Does that answer your question?
    pkcable likes this.
    07-07-11 09:53 PM
    ^ Does that answer your question?

not really i guess; reading through the several blog entries, not even the att site has it written down clearly and unambiguously.

has anyone here received word from att that they will be charged, that their bridge connection has been blocked, etc.?

07-07-11 10:05 PM
    I'm pretty sure that if you use the not AT&T official Bridge application, you won't get charged.
    If you do download the official AT& Bridge application, then they'll probably add the $20 to your account for sure.

I don't think anyone has tried it out, because they don't want to get charged.
    07-07-11 10:12 PM
    Provides have been charging extra for tethering for a long time. My guessis that the bridge web and tethering web are close enough that the provider can see the packet difference. The difference for example could be as simple as the size of the data pull. BB's web is data use is really small due to the bes and bis servers. The playbook pulls the full web, so the data usage will be a good bit larger for the same web page. It is very cheap what at&t is doing, but they kinda do the same with the iphone to ipad tether.
    07-07-11 10:48 PM
    From what I've heard, the official bridge app from ATT does not include the bridge browser part. If you want that, you need to add tethering to your plan.

I do not know first hand because I ain't going near the official app with a 40ft. pole! The OTA app that I got here works perfectly
    07-08-11 09:12 AM
    so at&t is charging for the bridge browser too? typical...
    07-08-11 10:04 AM
    Provides have been charging extra for tethering for a long time. My guessis that the bridge web and tethering web are close enough that the provider can see the packet difference. The difference for example could be as simple as the size of the data pull. BB's web is data use is really small due to the bes and bis servers. The playbook pulls the full web, so the data usage will be a good bit larger for the same web page. It is very cheap what at&t is doing, but they kinda do the same with the iphone to ipad tether.
    This does not hold water because BB's have many browsers that work better or worst then other browsers and can pull more data then the standard BB browser and the Playbook does not pull any data from the internet the phone does and sends the information to the playbook.
    07-08-11 10:09 AM
    What I would like to know, because there have been some conflicting reports from people, is

Does the ATT version of the bridge app come with the browser icon or not? Or are they forcing people to use the "Internet Tethering" setting in the main options menu?
    07-08-11 10:20 AM
    This does not hold water because BB's have many browsers that work better or worst then other browsers and can pull more data then the standard BB browser and the Playbook does not pull any data from the internet the phone does and sends the information to the playbook.
    I agree. And for exactly that reason it seems a bit crazy for AT&T to charge for a tethering package to use the Bridge Browser. If you tether the PB to the phone and go directly online, the web surfing experience is dramatically improved (based on multiple reports from users who use the tethering feature). The Bridge Browser experience is OK, but definitely NOT worth the extra $20. If you were required to pay for the tethering package, why would you ever use the Bridge Browser? I can see why AT&T is doing this, but they should charge something like $5 for the privilege, so that we could decide whether to pay $5 for poor Bridged browsing, or $20 for exceptional tethered browsing. Just my opinon...
    07-08-11 10:28 AM
    This is absurd, I feel bad for all you ATT/PB owners. For all the crackberry forum viewers, this announcement is not that big of a deal due to the well known OTA d/l. What about all the people that don't read the forums? We should all throw some money together and make a Public Service Announcement add for them lol
    kbz1960 and Mama2Many like this.
    07-08-11 10:42 AM
    Oh man, sucks to be an AT&T user. Sounds like they care about making money than keeping their customers satisified. I'd definitely switch if this was happening to me and were with AT&T.

07-08-11 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD