Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. I decided i'd post this because i decided to get rid of my 32GB playbook today, I bought it on launch day and for me personally it's not the machine it should have been.

I don't want to post just to bag on the playbook, RIM has done some very good things with it, which makes this all the more disapointing, the 7" size IMO is perfect for a tablet and the playbook has some very solid hardware in it.

My issue with the playbook is support and software, which I find is sorely lacking in both catagories here we are 1/3 of a year after release and we still do not have a native SDK for developers, the promised android app player only exists on an slow, old, leaked beta and has now been pushed back to fall for an official release.

The built in marketplace UI is badly designed, and has apps in it's newest section that were on there a month ago.

Although the playbook has some very nice functions on the enterprise and buisness end of things I also use this as my personal tablet and and not on some corporate email server, I own a small buisness and use a tablet for browsing and killing time when i'm bored, so with that all said i'm switching to an android tablet, and am no longer waiting for RIM to catch up.
    blazeone90509 likes this.
    08-05-11 05:47 PM
    sorry to hear that. we'll be here with open arms though when you realize no other tablet can stack up to the pb and decide to come back. until then, cheers!
    08-05-11 05:56 PM
    welcome to the bitter, third kind of pb owners' club
    Cozmik likes this.
    08-05-11 06:52 PM
    grats
    tldr
    08-05-11 07:15 PM
    If you want Android, you don't want 7". At this point I am pretty sure that the only Android OS available on 7" tab is 2.2 (Froyo) and compared to 3.1 (Honeycomb) it's pretty crude. Plus it thinks it's on a phone, not a tab.

It works, yes. And it's very useful. But pretty and slick it is not.

But if you are going to 10", I'd go iPad. I have the PB, 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab and 10.1" Galaxy, and an iPad2. The iPad2 makes the Samsung 10.1 look unfinished and clunky. The only tab to looks as good and is as elegant in operation is the PB or possibly the WebOS TouchPad. But with WebOS you're up against the app problem again. How about that?

If the iPad came in 7" I'd grab it. But really the 10" iPad 2 is easy to handle and it's remarkable how transparently it works. It's slightly heavier than the Samsung, but the form factor is different. It's slightly shorter and somewhat wider, which makes it better for actual human hands. Get a rooCase and you're good to go.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. But I *AM* and engineer and I can appreciate tight, well designed systems. the iPad 2 (and iPhone 4, which I also have) are really well done.
    08-05-11 07:31 PM
    the HP tablet is nice to if you like the PB type of UX.

it has email and contacts.

it is smaller then the iStuff and android 10" tablets.
    08-05-11 08:05 PM
    Thanks for the reply, but yeah I did go with a 10" which i'm not thrilled about but can live with, a tegra powered iconia. I do still think 7" is the perfect size but as you said if you want something decent that isn't a playbook 10" it'll have to be.

Playbooks hardware is solid and I really do hope that RIM can make a go of the playbook still and it looks like it's taking hold in the corporate sector, personally though if I were running rim i'd be rushing to get the API and QNX smartphones out the door proper, cause the playbook needs apps if they want to take a serious run at market share in the home.
    08-05-11 08:15 PM
    web based apps are the future the sooner people realise that the better the enterprise world is already moving in that direction...our dms based solution is all web based, you will see this consumer industry change completely, perfect example is skype being integrated with facebook all you need is your browser to video call and chat..

who cares about a skpye app
    08-05-11 08:16 PM
    web based apps are the future the sooner people realise that the better
    I've been hearing that since about 2003. Still waiting.
    08-05-11 08:47 PM
    Gotta do what ya gotta do. I'm still thinking there are good things to come. The question is.... how long is it going to take.
    08-05-11 08:52 PM
    If you want Android, you don't want 7". At this point I am pretty sure that the only Android OS available on 7" tab is 2.2 (Froyo) and compared to 3.1 (Honeycomb) it's pretty crude. Plus it thinks it's on a phone, not a tab.

It works, yes. And it's very useful. But pretty and slick it is not.

But if you are going to 10", I'd go iPad. I have the PB, 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab and 10.1" Galaxy, and an iPad2. The iPad2 makes the Samsung 10.1 look unfinished and clunky. The only tab to looks as good and is as elegant in operation is the PB or possibly the WebOS TouchPad. But with WebOS you're up against the app problem again. How about that?

If the iPad came in 7" I'd grab it. But really the 10" iPad 2 is easy to handle and it's remarkable how transparently it works. It's slightly heavier than the Samsung, but the form factor is different. It's slightly shorter and somewhat wider, which makes it better for actual human hands. Get a rooCase and you're good to go.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. But I *AM* and engineer and I can appreciate tight, well designed systems. the iPad 2 (and iPhone 4, which I also have) are really well done.
    Aww come one.. My GT-P1000 already use 2.3 Gingerbread.. and Flyer also support GB 2.3. In a short time, HuaWei also will come out with another 7" Android, and this time in Honeycomb

err.. wait.. this is not Android Central right?
    To OP. Good luck with your new tablet.
    Sorry to hear that PB isn't for you right now.
    08-06-11 06:45 AM
    I am giving up on RIM and PlayBook soon. Have long left the BlackBerry phone. The different errrr copied OS and the use of Android apps sucked me in (shame on me Rim) As soon as I find a 7" tablet running lastest Android I am gone, RIM fake promises won't get me again. I am not blinded by Blackberry like some people. Iphone is too locked down Android phones are the best, looking for that perfect 7" android table
    08-06-11 10:42 AM
    Good luck on finding a perfect one. They all have their problems or irritations. And yes RIM needs to get it updated ASAP all though I'm starting to just use what I have and hope the rest comes soon.
    08-06-11 10:52 AM
    I am giving up on RIM and PlayBook soon. Have long left the BlackBerry phone. The different errrr copied OS and the use of Android apps sucked me in (shame on me Rim) As soon as I find a 7" tablet running lastest Android I am gone, RIM fake promises won't get me again. I am not blinded by Blackberry like some people. Iphone is too locked down Android phones are the best, looking for that perfect 7" android table
    HTC Flier/View is has a 7" screen and a stylus so you can draw pictures all over screenshots of your tablet. That's the closest android tablet I've seen to being recommended over the Playbook in side-by-side comparisons. In my mind, not close enough. But it's your call.
    08-06-11 11:11 AM
    Yes, the grass is always greener........

I do think this "incomplete" concept can weigh on people's minds and affect the user experience. I've looked at many of the youtube reviews were other tablets are compared to the PB and it always seems to surprise the reviewers with it's performance. Even against the iPad it stacks up pretty well even thought is never "beats" it. They ding it for the power button, smaller size and lack of apps but it wins for screen clarity, Internet browsing (flash) and the UI. However, I'm not seeing the "incomplete" comments as much anymore.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-06-11 11:50 AM
    I am not blinded by Blackberry like some people.
    This is exactly why these threads degenerate. You couldn't make it work for you? Too bad, so sad. Find something you like and be happy. No need to try to make yourself feel superior to those who are happy with their purchase. Funny but I got exactly what I paid for when I bought my playbook and knew exactly what I was getting. Blinded? I think not. Hope you find something you like.
    08-06-11 12:31 PM

I do think this "incomplete" concept can weigh on people's minds and affect the user experience. I've looked at many of the youtube reviews were other tablets are compared to the PB and it always seems to surprise the reviewers with it's performance. Even against the iPad it stacks up pretty well even thought is never "beats" it. They ding it for the power button, smaller size and lack of apps but it wins for screen clarity, Internet browsing (flash) and the UI. However, I'm not seeing the "incomplete" comments as much anymore.
    I particularly agree with the RED portion. I generally like the pb but BUT as I sit and type on it and can't fix a typo easily, as I want to find a bookmark and can't find it easily, as I want to search a pdf or webpage - well, those UNfinished aspects almost drive me up a wall. Four (4) months and it does not autocorrect, allow me to control bookmarks nor search for things is more irritating than it should be.

As I've said before, I can understand native email might be harder to implement than expected. Same for Android Player. But the simple things that should have been there - come on, already.
    08-06-11 01:39 PM

This incomplete concept sure has weighed on me and sometimes I feel like a RIM's guinea pig, but I'm being very patient (sometimes I wonder if I'm being too patient). Everyday I google BlackBerry Playbook and look under the news section to see what the bloggers are talking about and today I found this:

What

The second sentence says: "But when seen as a first attempt by a company that�s always striving to perform better, it�s one helluva achievement." and I have to agree. Truth is though it really sucks to not have the ability to see the full extent of the PlayBook's performance, due to the lack of apps and other things (*sigh*), I believe in this device and I believe in time it will be better. I just hope when "in time comes" technology hasn't gone.

Call me naive or credulous... this is my first post on CrackBerry...
    EchoTango likes this.
    08-06-11 06:48 PM
    Hey guys, long time reader first time poster. I decided i'd post this because i decided to get rid of my 32GB playbook today, I bought it on launch day and for me personally it's not the machine it should have been.

I don't want to post just to bag on the playbook, RIM has done some very good things with it, which makes this all the more disapointing, the 7" size IMO is perfect for a tablet and the playbook has some very solid hardware in it.

My issue with the playbook is support and software, which I find is sorely lacking in both catagories here we are 1/3 of a year after release and we still do not have a native SDK for developers, the promised android app player only exists on an slow, old, leaked beta and has now been pushed back to fall for an official release.

The built in marketplace UI is badly designed, and has apps in it's newest section that were on there a month ago.

Although the playbook has some very nice functions on the enterprise and buisness end of things I also use this as my personal tablet and and not on some corporate email server, I own a small buisness and use a tablet for browsing and killing time when i'm bored, so with that all said i'm switching to an android tablet, and am no longer waiting for RIM to catch up.
    I agree totally I said a few months ago Ill give them until about August to make some strides and they havent really when I can get what I need from a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, so my blackberry playbook went up on ebay, and ive had to relist it twice already even with a price of $325 and a %100 seller rating I cant get a Bid lol.. Pretty sad.
    08-07-11 09:08 AM
    ZZzzzzz.....
    08-07-11 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD