01-26-12 11:45 AM
33 12
tools
    The tech wasn't misleading you:

Choosing a password for networks that use Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP)

"Choosing and using a WEP password can be a challenge, because WEP is an older security protocol that was developed before members of the Wi-Fi Alliance had agreed on a uniform way to treat passwords. The result is that a WEP password may not work for all computers in a multiplatform environment.

However, this is the easy trick you can use to make a WEP password work for everybody on your network:

* For a 40 bit WEP network, always choose a 5-character password.
    * For a 128 bit WEP network, always choose a 13-character password. Be sure to use a password that is secure."

Before seeing this post I was going to refer to the WEP password protocols. I will just ask whether you have the option of using a WPS connection? This is were you press the button on your router and the two devices pair together. I've found this a much more satisfying way of connecting to Wifi routers.

Edit: I just looked up your browser, no WPS button.
    Last edited by Chaplain_Clancy; 01-24-12 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Research
    01-24-12 10:35 PM
    I ordered my 32GB for $249 the end of Dec and got it Jan 5, 2012 and haven't any problems at all.
    01-24-12 10:37 PM
    Did you get a recently packaged unit? The 64GB I got locally was boxed on 040112. The S/N started with 1344, which I haven't seen in the forums. All the S/Ns I have seen here are 1343. The PIN is 502xxxxx. I prefer my older PIN, eDODO.
    No, my new 64gb box date is May 19, 2011, S/N 1343-82xx-xxxx, PIN: 5019xxxx (all numbers, no letters). My old 16gb had box date of April 06, 2011, S/N 1343-2xxx-xxxx, PIN: 500EA3xx (letters and nimbers).
    01-25-12 06:22 AM
    Has anyone who tried to register their PlayBook tried calling RIM?

I am sorry if i skip over a few posts but it started getting repetitive.

Call RIM, call the PlayBook representatives, explain to them your situation which involves you not being able to register because it was supposedly registered prior to your purchase. They will work with you and most likely register your PlayBook for the 90 warranty.

I installed the OS2.0 Developer build rather quickly to my device, called their representatives, the asked for the S/N to register my PlayBook, they registered it with the 90 day warranty although before doing it they stated it was used before but went along to register because I had just purchased it. I was then forward to their OS2.0 representative and my issues were resolved.

Moral of this story, your average RIM representative is not trained to work with OS2.0 and you can get your 90 day warranty if you simply call and get forwarded to a representative.
    01-26-12 09:02 AM
    For those getting that message, is this on your FIRST pb? In other words, is it possible that if you move a bbid to a NEW device, that they think it is your older original device? Clearly, for some it is suppose to be their first/only pb.

And unless the discounted price indicates less support, you should be entitled to the normal free 90 day support. And the ONE YEAR warranty.
    It's my first PB. I used my BBID under my Bold9000. Both devices show up in App World. Possibly that's the link. However, I don't have the time to wipe and reinstall with a new BBID to test it. I
    01-26-12 09:14 AM

Call RIM, call the PlayBook representatives, explain to them your situation which involves you not being able to register because it was supposedly registered prior to your purchase. They will work with you and most likely register your PlayBook for the 90 warranty.

I installed the OS2.0 Developer build rather quickly to my device, called their representatives, the asked for the S/N to register my PlayBook, they registered it with the 90 day warranty although before doing it they stated it was used before but went along to register because I had just purchased it. I was then forward to their OS2.0 representative and my issues were resolved.

Moral of this story, your average RIM representative is not trained to work with OS2.0 and you can get your 90 day warranty if you simply call and get forwarded to a representative.
    eh there. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm the OP. In my opinion, when I purchase a new product I should not be told that my product had already been registered back in April; nor should I be told that in order to start up the OS for the first time, I need to wipe off the OS and re-install it.

The conflicting information received from different reps regarding acceptable passwords needed to connect to wifi was a bit of a sore spot too. I am waiting on a new/exchanged PB and will give it a second try.

The three reps I spoke with were friendly. Yet, I did receive conflicting information regarding the fundamental wifi connection password - a customer support procedure that I would expect to have sound protocols in place to deal with since it is an essential procedure to start up a new PB.

Have a good day.
    01-26-12 09:33 AM

Post #20 I think is where I expained that I called the support number from the registration page and got my PB registered in a very short few minutes without being on hold, without being transferred to another tech, etc and there were no issues whatsoever. The OP is more than likely going to have to do the same thing to register their new PB as I suspect most others that recently bought a PB will have to do regardless of where it was purchased if they want to register for the complimentary 90-day phone support service and one year warranty for their PlayBooks. I was told that it was very common that they had to manually enter the serial numbers before they could be registered. Oddly they did not ask when or where I purchased my PB, so this might even work on PBs bought more than 90 days ago.
    01-26-12 11:32 AM
    Same issue here. Upgraded to os2b right after I received my 32GB PB(previously had a 16GB unit), unfortunately it wasn't charging so I tried to register on the website and got the error of past 90 days. I promptly called CS and was told that it might have sat in a warehouse for a while, and that's the reason for the error.

Long story short, 10 minutes later(mostly due to explaining my charging problem) my PB was registered for the 90 days and was told to downgrade to 1.0 and test the charging. If it still wouldn't charge then they would RMA it. Downgraded and it charged fine, upgraded back to 2.0 and all is good.
    01-26-12 11:45 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD