This article says six percent of respondents are somewhat/very likely to buy a Playbook, compared to twice as much interest in a similar survey around last year's iPad launch.

Sorry RIM, I know you want to take your time so the product is really good, but step up the marketing, even to business customers. I want commercials aired in my area so people know I'm not making up crap about a Blackberry Tablet. Every time I bring it up, people, even hardcore Blackberry users, don't know anything about it.

For as long as we've known about the Playbook, I'd expect more interest from consumers and small businesses, but the company I work for doesn't believe it could be better than iPad, which three of us in the office own personally and use for business, how can I prove them wrong? Having to go to Blackberry.com for no new information is ridiculous for as big as a shift this is for RIM. Just my opinion but I want more marketing closer to release.
    Last edited by aawilson; 01-25-11 at 01:21 PM.
    01-25-11 01:18 PM
    The survey was of 1000(or 1,100) people after CES. So it's not a correct representation of what many corporations plan to do when the PlayBook is released. Furthermore, I'd bet half(tech/gadget geeks) are users of Apple products who wouldn't give the PB a fair shake anyway.

IMHO, I could care less about the survey. I believe the PB will do quite well. Especially in Enterprise. As usual RIM is dominant in the Enterprise arena and no other tablet on the market or coming to the market can compare in this regard.

Regular consumers will eat this up as well. 6+ million in 2011 calendar year.
    CASH likes this.
    01-25-11 01:45 PM
    I often attribute the lack of optimism over RIM products because they have been doing very few encouraging things of late. Let's hope they change that soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 01:50 PM

IMHO, I could care less about the survey.
    very much agreed, i mean maybe if it was 25,000 people i would be like woah but 1,000=i dont care
    01-25-11 02:12 PM
    The survey was of 1000(or 1,100) people after CES. So it's not a correct representation of what many corporations plan to do when the PlayBook is released. Furthermore, I'd bet half(tech/gadget geeks) are users of Apple products who wouldn't give the PB a fair shake anyway.IMHO, I could care less about the survey. I believe the PB will do quite well. Especially in Enterprise. As usual RIM is dominant in the Enterprise arena and no other tablet on the market or coming to the market can compare in this regard.

Regular consumers will eat this up as well. 6+ million in 2011 calendar year.

Good point I hadn't realized that. Also, once I am seen with my precious little baby, iPad users will flip their s**t when the video still plays in the background, and I can use all the features of Blackberry Amplified.
    01-25-11 02:14 PM
    This article says six percent of respondents are somewhat/very likely to buy a Playbook, compared to twice as much interest in a similar survey around last year's iPad launch.

Sorry RIM, I know you want to take your time so the product is really good, but step up the marketing, even to business customers. I want commercials aired in my area so people know I'm not making up crap about a Blackberry Tablet. Every time I bring it up, people, even hardcore Blackberry users, don't know anything about it.

For as long as we've known about the Playbook, I'd expect more interest from consumers and small businesses, but the company I work for doesn't believe it could be better than iPad, which three of us in the office own personally and use for business, how can I prove them wrong? Having to go to Blackberry.com for no new information is ridiculous for as big as a shift this is for RIM. Just my opinion but I want more marketing closer to release.

Sorry, I just don't "get it". WHY do you care about RIM's marketing? Are you a major stockholder?
    01-25-11 02:18 PM
    Sorry, I just don't "get it". WHY do you care about RIM's marketing? Are you a major stockholder?
    If they're a Blackberry fan, it's still in their personal interest to see RIM do well.

If RIM does well, there will be more products and innovation, as well as more effort to keep up with and exceed the current market's standards.
    01-25-11 02:27 PM

Of that 1,100 people at CES, how many of those are Corporate Consumers. Close to 0 I would presume. So half the interest on a consumer market driven by Apple is pretty damn good. We have half as much interest from the technogeeks, now survey all the oil and gas companies in the world and tell me what those results tell you.
    01-25-11 02:29 PM
    No I am not a shareholder, just a fanatic. I want everyone I know to be this excited about the product. I want a worldwide revolution of saying yes to flash and no to proprietary iTunes bs. Plus, I just want to see the commercial air on local NBC or something, just cause, just for my own satisfaction that I know I'm on that boat.

Like I said before, if my company (my bosses) knew more about the Playbook, we could have not wasted our time with the iPad. I like using it for fun, but it takes away from the real business solutions like RIM provides. I just want them to kick **** and surpass Apple and other competitors with speed and functionality all the way.
    Last edited by aawilson; 01-25-11 at 02:39 PM.
    nicole305 likes this.
    01-25-11 02:34 PM
    Good point I hadn't realized that. Also, once I am seen with my precious little baby, iPad users will flip their s**t when the video still plays in the background, and I can use all the features of Blackberry Amplified.
    Yeah I read basically the same article on that survey about an hour or two before you posted(can't remember where). Yes, the PB trumps the current and new Ipad2 in many different ways. People will realize this once released.
    01-25-11 02:51 PM
    Yeah I read basically the same article on that survey about an hour or two before you posted(can't remember where). Yes, the PB trumps the current and new Ipad2 in many different ways. People will realize this once released.
    i know, i have some relatives who think their iPad can do everything i say it cant hahahah. sure i think the iPad is cool it is, but it cant do near as much as the PB can do. im sure the ipad two wont either being as it will still be stuck with iOS
    01-25-11 03:03 PM
    All I know if I am salivating to get at this thing! And I already have a plan in place to get one. Half tax money and half birthday present, as I turn 45 on feb 10. So THIS non respondent want one!
    01-25-11 03:07 PM
    i know, i have some relatives who think their iPad can do everything i say it cant hahahah. sure i think the iPad is cool it is, but it cant do near as much as the PB can do. im sure the ipad two wont either being as it will still be stuck with iOS
    What will the playbook do other than flash that your relatives ipad won't?
    01-25-11 03:08 PM
    All I know if I am salivating to get at this thing! And I already have a plan in place to get one. Half tax money and half birthday present, as I turn 45 on feb 10. So THIS non respondent want one!
    Happy Early Birthday Mine is in March although I'll still be in my 30's. I won't say which end though :-)
    01-25-11 03:10 PM
    What will the playbook do other than flash that your relatives ipad won't?
    Do you want me to make a list of the things I know PB will do but iPad can't? It would be like a mile long.

But for starters you can't tether to iPad unless you jailbreak. You can't amplify your phone experience to view the emails already on your phone on the iPad. You can hardly get YouTube audio to play in the background on the iPad, PB has HD video running in the background. I am disregarding iPad 2 cause nobody knows, but the PB will have 2 cameras, iPad has none. Plus, if you are in Enterprise it will be ready for that out of the box. PB has Adobe Air to the core, not "just flash". iPad cannot plug out to a screen without apps, accessories and hassles. PB has HDMI out built in. And so much more.
    01-25-11 03:19 PM
    very much agreed, i mean maybe if it was 25,000 people i would be like woah but 1,000=i dont care
    25,000 people would make for a less accurate survey than the 1000-2000 sampling.

That said, doing a Sampling after CES would give you as CX said a large sampling of Apple users, and iPad 1 owners, why would an iPad 1 + iPhone owner have any interest in the Playbook?

The iPad was a new device, with a great following from both iPhone and iPod Touch users so it's interest being double that of Playbook interest is actually surprisingly low.
    01-25-11 03:25 PM
    Do you want me to make a list of the things I know PB will do but iPad can't? It would be like a mile long.

But for starters you can't tether to iPad unless you jailbreak. You can't amplify your phone experience to view the emails already on your phone on the iPad. You can hardly get YouTube audio to play in the background on the iPad, PB has HD video running in the background. I am disregarding iPad 2 cause nobody knows, but the PB will have 2 cameras, iPad has none. Plus, if you are in Enterprise it will be ready for that out of the box. PB has Adobe Air to the core, not "just flash". iPad cannot plug out to a screen without apps, accessories and hassles. PB has HDMI out built in. And so much more.
    dangggg you thought of more things than i did! yeah i forgot about all the APPS that is required for the iPad to do things that the PB already has in its QNX OS
    01-25-11 03:27 PM
    25,000 people would make for a less accurate survey than the 1000-2000 sampling.

That said, doing a Sampling after CES would give you as CX said a large sampling of Apple users, and iPad 1 owners, why would an iPad 1 + iPhone owner have any interest in the Playbook?

The iPad was a new device, with a great following from both iPhone and iPod Touch users so it's interest being double that of Playbook interest is actually surprisingly low.
    thats what i was thinking i was just afraid i was wrong as usual haha
    01-25-11 03:28 PM
    If they're a Blackberry fan, it's still in their personal interest to see RIM do well.

If RIM does well, there will be more products and innovation, as well as more effort to keep up with and exceed the current market's standards.
    I've have a BB for about a year. If RIM screws up, it doesn't bother me--I'm not married to them, or the phone. My next phone will be whatever suits ME the best, at the time of renewal. why get all freakin' invested personally, with RIM's performance?? seems like a waste of effort.
    01-25-11 03:31 PM
    No I am not a shareholder, just a fanatic. I want everyone I know to be this excited about the product. I want a worldwide revolution of saying yes to flash and no to proprietary iTunes bs. Plus, I just want to see the commercial air on local NBC or something, just cause, just for my own satisfaction that I know I'm on that boat.

Like I said before, if my company (my bosses) knew more about the Playbook, we could have not wasted our time with the iPad. I like using it for fun, but it takes away from the real business solutions like RIM provides. I just want them to kick **** and surpass Apple and other competitors with speed and functionality all the way.
    I got it.

I'm different than you. I don't care what company makes a great product. The label doesn't matter. It's the features, performance, and cost that I look for--not the brand. But I do CONSIDER the brand when I buy, but I'm more of a "what have you done for me lately" kinda guy. Resting on one's laurels doesn't cut it with me.
    01-25-11 03:33 PM
    First of all, there were fewer, if any competitors at the time of the first iPad. The decision is much more complex now. Secondly, it shows the difference between impulse consumer spending and properly reasoned and researched purchasing.
    01-25-11 03:47 PM
    First of all, there were fewer, if any competitors at the time of the first iPad.
    exactly, comparing this year to last year is such a flawed arguement, because those that wanted an ipad last year will most prob of got one an therefor might not even need/want another tablet.

a far better balance would be to base around xoom and playbook from this years show, its a level playingfield (well kinda) and i know most people will say `include the ipad2` but no i wouldnt cos we havent even seen it yet, at most compare to ipad right now.

also your asking tech people, which is really flawed, cos (and no offence to anyone meant here) most customers arent tech savvy to that extent, they buy what they like the look of, or what their friends have.
    01-25-11 04:02 PM
    It may seem trivial, however from Crackberry's review of playbook one of the most impressive things to me was the image of the PB in Kev's pocket. I commute to work daily and am always looking for ways to carry LESS, not MORE. I have no interest in have a batman-esque utility belt loaded with unnecessary crap. In a similar respect, while the iPad seems like a fine device I have no interest in having to carry a bag simply to carry the ipad around.

The PB power, performance and yes SIZE are poised to make it a great device to own.
    01-25-11 04:04 PM
    First of all, there were fewer, if any competitors at the time of the first iPad. The decision is much more complex now. Secondly, it shows the difference between impulse consumer spending and properly reasoned and researched purchasing.
    Impulsive Consumer Spending is what the U.S economy is all about
    01-25-11 04:09 PM
    exactly, comparing this year to last year is such a flawed arguement, because those that wanted an ipad last year will most prob of got one an therefor might not even need/want another tablet.

a far better balance would be to base around xoom and playbook from this years show, its a level playingfield (well kinda) and i know most people will say `include the ipad2` but no i wouldnt cos we havent even seen it yet, at most compare to ipad right now.

also your asking tech people, which is really flawed, cos (and no offence to anyone meant here) most customers arent tech savvy to that extent, they buy what they like the look of, or what their friends have.
    I realize that, but any consumer smart enough to get a Blackberry phone should know about the Playbook, and in real life I just don't see that happening. A friend of mine is in school for computers and was dissing webOs over on facebook, (posting from his Blackberry as usual). I told him about holding my iPad just loosely enough so it doesn't get smashed before BB PB is released and he replies that he's only interested in Android tabs, not what the heck is a Playbook? That was my entire point of this thread, how come I know about it, but a computer tech in training glued to his BB phone doesn't?
    01-25-11 04:16 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD