Tried signing up. Keeps rejecting the password I want to use which meets their password criteria.
    10-25-11 07:01 AM
    Now that the Devcon (non)event is passed, and even the CB team indicated it was a huge disappointment and let-down... How's that rimpire strikes back slogan working for ya? Or like another poster has done, have you too quickly changed your attitude to "RIMpire strikes back... soon!" heh....
    Bla1ze (in your thread): "I even noted that to Kevin before that post went up, that I felt this (being devcon) was strike two."

How many strikes ... we don't know, but ... strike there is and again will be ...
    10-25-11 07:10 AM
    I agree with everyone that took the survey....VERY INTERESTING QUESTIONS were there in the survey....
    10-25-11 08:43 AM
    do you want the the browser to view netflix (which currently isnt in many countries)should be changed to:

do you think netflix will still be around when OS2 drops? lol.
    Just read an article saying they have lost 800 000 subscribers since June. It's not looking so good for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 10:22 AM
    Just read an article saying they have lost 800 000 subscribers since June. It's not looking so good for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yup. Stock is in free fall.

Netflix stock crushed as subscribers flee - The Globe and Mail
    10-25-11 10:51 AM
    This is all guesswork mind you, but I doubt RIM is suddenly going "woah people want native email according to this survey, better start working on that!"
    Actually, I rather suspect that that is exactley what RIM is doing otherwise they would never have released a product that did not have email built in from the very start! It was a stupid decision and demonstrates how out of touch everyone involved with the planning of the Playbook is.

Remember this is the same company whose CEO stated that they had to delay their OS7 phones as they failed to realize that consumers wnated - gasp shock! - to actually do multimedia, games, and other stuff on their phones! Seriously, have you looked at the consumer market RIM?
    10-25-11 10:54 AM
    I liked seeing this question right off the top...
    Me, too! I put my vote in for frequent updates.
    10-25-11 11:22 AM
    Netflix
    BB Maps Offline
    Native IMAP/POP3/ActiveSync

I wish they would just release these. Honestly 95% of PB owners have a BlackBerry and if your anything like me, native BES and BBM really isn't a priority. I really hope they are not delaying 2.0 because of BES and BBM issues like is being reported. If it is a problem, leave it out and include it with 2.1
    10-25-11 02:49 PM
    It seems to me that they just want to know what is more important to us before they go out and say... "Here's the update, it's not what you wanted, but it is what we think is best".

That's how I felt shortly after getting he PlayBook. I still love it, but do feel like they underdelivered considering what they had taughted. I bought it thinking I was buying a BlackBerry device and instead got a tablet from BlackBerry.

In like where they're headed, I just want them to hurry up already.

As for "The RIMPIRE"? I am hopeful that the next thing I hear when they roll outbthe "BIG" update is not "The RIMPIRE Strikes OUT".

P.S. Why is it some pages work through BB Bridge using the regular Browser, and some don't? Seems really ODD.
    10-25-11 02:57 PM
    I took the survey earlier today. I tried to not "answer on the curve" while taking it and tried to be honest in my answers. The update will come when it comes.
    However, In the last comments box, I gave it to them and I hope they read it. I basically told them that while I love my PB and it is the best hardware out there, that I and a lot of other early adopters are starting to regret our purchases and that it's getting harder and harder to defend our devices to others. While we have faith that the upgraded OS will make these even better, if it doesn;t happen soon, we run the risk of being the holders of the newest and greatest version of a high tech "Betamax". And that I can see a class action lawsuit arising when RIM stops supporting or updating it, etc. What a shameful end that would be for such a phenomenal device and company...

All that is paraphrased as I was answering on the fly before. But you get the gist...

Later,
    B.
    10-25-11 03:09 PM
    I was happy to see BB Beta Zone Survey ask the right questions but at the same time was very concerned they were soliciting consumer feedback for priority when MOST of these should have been LARGE priorities since April
    If you've never worked on a software project, you may not have a feel for how important it is to have a "strictly" prioritized list. I've been involved in projects which were on the verge of failure (or did fail) because management insisted that "all these are equally important".

One some of those, once we forced them to accept that not every item could be delivered with the resources available (or, practically, even if we had unlimited resources), they agreed to make a list with no two items considered "equal priority". At that point, we were finally able to function and make effective progress, and in due course the project would be on track.

I think that's all RIM's doing here, as far as prioritizing. The other thing seems to be trying to decide whether to change their strategy again and go back to issuing smaller releases with fewer features, rather than saving it all up for "The Big One".

I voted for doing faster releases in the short term, then back to the "3-4 months between releases" plan. It's necessary in the short term for the product's survival, but in the long run the customer base would be overwhelmed by continual 1-month releases with any significant features.

If nothing else, to me this provides some evidence that RIM is attempting to be "agile", internally, in their approach to development. (That's now a technical term in the software industry... google if you haven't heard of it.)
    10-25-11 03:17 PM

If nothing else, to me this provides some evidence that RIM is attempting to be "agile", internally, in their approach to development. (That's now a technical term in the software industry... google if you haven't heard of it.)
    If RIM is just now getting a handle on agile development, then they have bigger problems than we all imagined.
    10-25-11 03:31 PM
    Since they at least have three more months of development, it makes sense to do this survey now. (Still shaking my head at how some people thought that most items on this survey were already completed and that RIM was just "validating" them. How do fanboys come up with these explanations?)
    10-25-11 06:19 PM
    Isn't this survey something they should have done 2 or 3 months ago. Or 5 months ago or before releasing the pb for public consumption? I guess before that, rim was deciding what we needed and blindly proceeded to accomplish that but left out features that should have been included including spell/autotext/search functions.....
    10-25-11 06:43 PM
    If you've never worked on a software project, you may not have a feel for how important it is to have a "strictly" prioritized list. I've been involved in projects which were on the verge of failure (or did fail) because management insisted that "all these are equally important".
    Thanks Peter and I do agree with you that if you try to do everything at once, nothing gets done. What my real concern is how mismanaged PlayBook development really was for a company with the size and developing talent that RIM has.

If we look at what the PlayBook team actually did implement between August and now versus what consumers really wanted, I think there will be a very large gap.

The second concern is if they are only now encountering very core issues that should have been long strategized even before building the hardware.

Alec Saunders says something that I do agree with, "I totally cannot speak to what has been done in the past. I've only been here for 10 weeks." I see movement in the last couple of weeks now at RIM that I wish was there from April...nowhere to look but forward and hope for some leaks. The only other nail while we're banging away is that consumers on OS 1.0.7 will not be able to take advantage of the new apps developed with the NDK, does this mean BB App World will hold back all these native apps until 2.0 launch?
    10-25-11 07:05 PM
    Thanks Peter and I do agree with you that if you try to do everything at once, nothing gets done. What my real concern is how mismanaged PlayBook development really was for a company with the size and developing talent that RIM has.

If we look at what the PlayBook team actually did implement between August and now versus what consumers really wanted, I think there will be a very large gap.

The second concern is if they are only now encountering very core issues that should have been long strategized even before building the hardware.

Alec Saunders says something that I do agree with, "I totally cannot speak to what has been done in the past. I've only been here for 10 weeks." I see movement in the last couple of weeks now at RIM that I wish was there from April...nowhere to look but forward and hope for some leaks. The only other nail while we're banging away is that consumers on OS 1.0.7 will not be able to take advantage of the new apps developed with the NDK, does this mean BB App World will hold back all these native apps until 2.0 launch?
    forgive me if I'm mistaken, but from what I hear, RIM is publishing two version of NDKs, 1.0.7 and 2.0. So, 1.0.7 will get native apps, developed with he 1.0.7 ndk.

Now the real question would be, what big changes have they made to the core OS that restrict apps made with a previous ndk from running on the new os.
    10-25-11 08:12 PM
    No it doesn't....

Several of these items are already available in the OS2 preview, let a lone what they already did not release (ie. we already know the native email application has been in the works and has a high priority regardless of this survey, we already know the android emulator exists and works in the os2 beta, the led already exists and so do native notifications they simply have to combine the two)
    Apparently it did as February is the new date to wait for to get the next date. 4 months means a lot of stuff isn't ready. And they still won't have BBM ready for 2.0. They will be lucky to sell completely through that reported 1 million unit first run, and with attendances down at both BBW and DevCons lately, they may be able to give them out for the next 5 years of shows.
    10-25-11 08:26 PM
    The only other nail while we're banging away is that consumers on OS 1.0.7 will not be able to take advantage of the new apps developed with the NDK, does this mean BB App World will hold back all these native apps until 2.0 launch?
    I can see this also creating more problems - What developer is going to throw effort into OS2 software when there can be little or no return for yet another FOUR MONTHS.

This entire affair is one huge mess.
    10-25-11 10:06 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD