Posted using my Z10
    03-20-14 07:53 PM
    this was already revealed in this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...months-915712/

granted, it's a few pages deep, but it's in there.. but appreciate the info, and it's nice to have confirmation from a diff source
    Key words being "in a few weeks/months..." in typical BBRY fashion, they might as well add "in a few years/decades..."
    03-20-14 08:29 PM
    waiting!!!
    03-20-14 09:02 PM
    Looking forward to the update of course, but for me ... Z50 + PlayBook 2 (BB10/2GHz/2GB) = dream come true!
    03-20-14 10:01 PM
    I don't mind if it is something like 2.2 but gets an android runtime compatible with Android 4.x apps.
    I love my Playbook so does my son, but lack of apps/games is killing us. Half of what we side load, make that 2/3rd of what we sideload never works.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-20-14 11:54 PM
    Soon....

If there's truly an update coming, and based that it appears to be numerically a small sequential increase, I wouldn't expect it to be much. Small patches at most. I very much doubt that it would be a massive update to the browser or android runtime. While an update would indicate that the tablet may not be TOTALLY orphaned, I highly doubt that it will be the big update that some people are hoping for.
    03-21-14 06:33 AM
    Yeah I doubt it'll be anything but Flash security fixes and bug fixes.
    Ideally I'd like the BB10 browser and usb OTG support but I can't see it happening especially with the continuing lay offs.
    My Z10 can get pretty laggy with Android apps so I'd hate to see that on the PB
    Herve5 likes this.
    03-21-14 05:42 PM
    They can call it 2.1.xxxx and it could still have some elements of BB10. I doubt it's going to be a full blown BB10. It would be much easier for them to just add certain parts of BB10 and call it 2.1.xxxx.

Or do you know for certain it's just a regular tablet OS update?

Z10 10.2.1.1925
    Logic suggests that the low-powered phones being developed for the international market have a low-powered-device-friendly version of BB10 being developed for them. This would be perfect for the PB, so it only makes sense that this new update is just that: A fork of the Z3-family codestream fit for the PB. Again, it only makes sense.

If I'm right, then the new OS will have whatever features are planned for the new devices; I'm certainly hoping for an updated Android player.
    03-23-14 06:06 AM
    That's a bummer about YouTube. My PB is fine for that but the keyboard slows down and thing often freezes. So not in fine fettle but OK for YouTube. You may have tried this, YouTube occasionally has a screen that suggests turn down the resolution with the cogwheel icon. I tried that once when my video was doing that start and stop thing you describe and it suddenly played fine. Faint hope but worth mentioning. Good luck.
    03-23-14 06:44 PM
    What's the reason for not using youtube app on playbook? It works just fine and has no advertisement (commercial videos).
    03-23-14 07:36 PM
    Since I am not a computer nerd (just an old fart) please excuse me for my ignorance but can someone please explain what "android runtime" does for the PB? Does that allow the PB user to then download Android apps (side loading?).

The native browser definitely needs improving. I use Origami browser, not ideal but much better than the native browser.
    03-24-14 12:46 PM
    Since I am not a computer nerd (just an old fart) please excuse me for my ignorance but can someone please explain what "android runtime" does for the PB? Does that allow the PB user to then download Android apps (side loading?).
    That's exactly right. Not bad for an old fart. Sorry, no disrespect.

But yes on BB10 and Playbook OS 2.0 Blackberry introduced ability to "sideload" android applications, by converting them (.apk) files into BB compatible (.bar) files and then being able to run them, however the compatibility was limited to earlier versions of Android, so you couldn't run android apps that required newer version of android like 4.x.x.

Later on BB 10.2.x they introduced ability to run android apps in their native form (.apk) without having to convert or sideload them, while upgrading the Android Runtime / Android Player that was incorporated into BB10.

Now anyone who has a BB10 like Z10, Q10, Z30, etc.. that's running 10.2.x can just browse "google play store" (not the actual play.google.com but other interfaces that link to it) just like blackberry app world and download android applications on their blackberry devices. There are 3rd party app stores like Amazon App Store, 1Mobile, and few others, in addition to custom interfaces to access Google Play store, such as "Snap" which lets you download directly from Google Play via custom interface.

Now that Playbook app selection is as good as dead with only a few apps being updated/developed (if any) it would be like a fresh air for Playbook owners if there was any possibility of running android apps, even if the playbook itself did not run BB 10. There are reports in few other threads that people saw a BB10 source files with resolution matching Playbook's but that's just a far fetched guess.

I hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by heading4tomorrow; 03-24-14 at 08:54 PM.
    03-24-14 01:40 PM
    But yes on BB10 blackberry first introduced ability to "sideload" android applications
    Huh? The Playbook has had the ability to run (some) android apps ever since OS 2.0 dropped about two years ago. Some android apps needed to be sideloaded, while others were available in app world. The Playbooks android runtime currently is 2.3.3 and many are hoping for an update to the runtime to 4.x.x.
    03-24-14 02:58 PM
    Huh? The Playbook has had the ability to run (some) android apps ever since OS 2.0 dropped about two years ago. Some android apps needed to be sideloaded, while others were available in app world. The Playbooks android runtime currently is 2.3.3 and many are hoping for an update to the runtime to 4.x.x.
    Fixed.

and All android apps on PB need to be converted and then sideloaded, something most users can't do by themselves. And the amount of converted apps on blackberry app world is very limited, I wouldn't consider that a huge compatibility, most of the apps are not very reliable, and it is extremely ancient compared to what 10.2.1 can do.
    03-24-14 09:21 PM
    But, many android apps have already been converted and are available from goodereader and other sites. For those apps that aren't available already converted, goodereader and apk2bar both have online converters that automate the process. It's as simple as uploading an apk file and then downloading the converted bar.
    03-24-14 10:06 PM
    But, many android apps have already been converted and are available from goodereader and other sites. For those apps that aren't available already converted, goodereader and apk2bar both have online converters that automate the process. It's as simple as uploading an apk file and then downloading the converted bar.
    Not all programs I've tried fron goodereader have worked for me (pre-converted). Also the number of apps which beahave with the playbook's runtime is limited.

Using my BBRY to inconvenience 1s and 0s
    03-25-14 08:08 AM
    Not all programs I've tried fron goodereader have worked for me (pre-converted). Also the number of apps which beahave with the playbook's runtime is limited.

Using my BBRY to inconvenience 1s and 0s
    Make that like %80 of apps loaded from goodereader do not function properly.
    03-25-14 09:50 AM
    I'd quite like an update soon for an entirely different reason. Mine has got all laggy and I was debating another security wipe to speed it up. Re-installing everything is such a pain...

OK, OK, it's a selfish thing!
    03-25-14 11:54 AM
    I'd quite like an update soon for an entirely different reason. Mine has got all laggy and I was debating another security wipe to speed it up. Re-installing everything is such a pain...

OK, OK, it's a selfish thing!
    its def the sideloading - did mine weeks ago and its still speedy (with only a couple of sideloads this time!!)

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    03-25-14 03:02 PM
    its def the sideloading - did mine weeks ago and its still speedy (with only a couple of sideloads this time!!)

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    I know, but I've not sideloaded anything recently! I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so damned hard to identify the rogue app.
    03-25-14 03:04 PM
45 12