09-08-13 04:01 PM
530 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Had the PB for 2 days now....here are a few thoughts:

Bridged calendar
    -change time setting in calendar to either 5 or 15 minute increments...having to swipe in 1 minute increments is no good
    -appt's at 8 am and 8:15 am overlap and you can't see the 8 am app't
    -calendar reminders only give you the option to Dismiss or Snooze...sometimes you'll want to do neither...on the Bold you can hit the Back button to basically ignore it

Podcasts
    -display duration and file size
    -manual addition of podcasts
    -while in a category have the option to sort by Most Recent

-RSS reader (did i miss this?)
    -Gmail app
    -file browser
    -standby icon or gesture
    04-27-11 10:03 AM
    1. A Kindle app like they promised back in September.
    2. A way to know that a page is loading rather than frozen (a moving icon of some kind)
    3. A refresh button on the web browser
    04-27-11 10:06 AM
    Ah, and how about some intuitive stuff re: the keyboard, like starting with a capital letter automatically instead of having to do it manually?
    04-27-11 10:09 AM
    Hi

OS

i read most of the threads and did not see this one which i really miss.
    When i press and hold my finger on something i miss the options that popup on my torch.

i mean now on the PB all you can do is press to select and look for things :-( i would love to have that feature appear.
    04-27-11 10:36 AM
    #1 Full web browser experience...

Please add java plug in

Please allow us to change the user agent in the web browser

Google docs can use a keyboard but there should be a way to pull out a keyboard manually anyway

google docs can also use scrolling

file management so we can view the excel files we download would be nice too

and just to throw in a non business related problem, ive noticed that the browser crashes and closes itself from time to time...

oh and a home button on the browser but that is not a problem
    04-27-11 10:36 AM
    with press and hold for text selection, put a 'delete' option in the pop-up (so that we're able to delete a block of text).

Possible bug to be fixed: in the browser when I zoom in, and then click a hyperlink, it seems that my first click attempt is often (always?) not registered and I need to click again.
    04-27-11 11:54 AM
    #1 Full web browser experience...

Please add java plug in
    Browser, swipe from the top of the Playbook down. You will see a small icon next to downloads called Options(Look under Content). Then you will see the settings for Load Images, Enable Flash, Enable Javascript
    Please allow us to change the user agent in the web browser
    You mean emulation? Like IE, Blackberry Browser, etc?
    Google docs can use a keyboard but there should be a way to pull out a keyboard manually anyway
    Start at the bottom, left corner of the Playbook and swipe diagonally towards the camera(That calls up the keyboard)
    google docs can also use scrolling
    I went to google docs and scrolled like a mofo....? What do you mean?
    file management so we can view the excel files we download would be nice too
    That would be great. Not yet. Open Sheet to Go, you can either create a New Document or Browse. You will have the choice of which device(if you are tethered) and Pictures, Video, Music, and Documents(Which will already be selected) Now scroll until you find the file you are looking for(Files are alphabetized and have date/time stamp and file size)
    and just to throw in a non business related problem, ive noticed that the browser crashes and closes itself from time to time...
    Which sites? Was that all you had open at the time? I have heard of browser crashes. Without more information....
    oh and a home button on the browser but that is not a problem
    Open your browser, goto Options(General tab) Make sure "For a New Page Show" is set to My Home Page. Then make your "Home Page" whatever site you want. Just open a new tab when you want to get to your "Home Page"
    Hope that helps!
    04-27-11 12:16 PM
    Media

1. Fixing album art support. Two artists with the same album title end up sharing artwork; not groovy.
    2. Groupings for videos. Having music videos, TV shows and movies in one massive list is unwieldy.
    04-27-11 12:29 PM
    Adobe PDF reader on the PlayBook

A couple of suggestions.

1. Ability to open more than one PDF at a time tabbed view is ok with me.
    2. Can it please remember the page I left on? So I don't have to go hunting down what was the last thing I remember reading?
    04-27-11 04:19 PM
    HomeScreen:
    Ability to hide icons like on a BB
    Ability to truly delete apps without being prompted by software updates to reinstall them
    WebBrowser:
    Ability to customize/edit bookmarks
    CrackMachine and ubizmo like this.
    04-27-11 04:28 PM
    Enable to speakers to play audio via Bluetooth....all computers can do this. So I can play my music from my Bold through my PB speakers.
    How? I have a Dell laptop on XP and can't figure out a way to send music via a USB Bluetooth dongle.
    04-27-11 04:43 PM
    Hardware:
    1) a docking station that would be like the Rapid Charger but would extend the USB and HDMI ports to the back of the charger (in fact it should use a full size HDMI port and act as a USB hub so you can plug in multiple devices).
    2) A Bluetooth keyboard with trackpoint the same size as the PlayBook that would fit in a convertable type case (slides out when your device is up on the stand) but wouldn't be appreciably thicker than the current PlayBook/Convertable Case combo today.

Software
    1) Autotext/Dictionary at least as good as the BlackBerry phones
    2) Wireless Printer support
    3) That TAT picture album application!
    4) TURN THE SYMBOL LOCK OFF!!! It drives me nuts that every time I press the (123 sym) key, it stays in that mode until its turned off. I'm forced to use a combination of capitals and symbols/numbers in my passwords and this means I'm pressing twice as many keys as necessary
    5) multiple swipe up from bottom left bezel should cycle through the keyboards and ANY web entry form should come up with the keyboard that has the .com and next keys as default
    6) Fix the notifications... I'm always sitting on 2-3 email notifications I can't get rid of. Be able to open the calendar entry from a meeting notification like you can open an email from an email notification, answer the call on speakerphone (or BT audio when paired) when getting a call notification if you press on it
    7) Initiate calls (again on BT or speakerphone) when clicking on a number in contact book

And my BIGGEST ONE.... PUT A WEBKIT BROWSER IN THE EMAIL CLIENT!!! Its nuts that you can't do pinch/zoom, look at HTML, etc as you can in the browser. Most email comes in HTML these days anyway.

Not one of these would require a single change to the PlayBook hardware itself and I suspect most would be relatively easy to implement.
    kirson likes this.
    04-27-11 09:47 PM
    Try to work with Kobo to support loading ePub books bought from other sources. If they won't do it, then work with another app developer to get this functionality. I wanted to recommend a Playbook to my wife's friend but she has a huge library of epub books and doesn't want to convert and read in PDF.
    CrackMachine likes this.
    04-27-11 09:51 PM
    App World
    I think its nice that you have it subdivided into categories, but it would be nice to get a list of all games (for instance) if I want rather than go individually into the subcategories. It might get unwieldy as the catalog grows, but then maybe you can add some searching capability (need to add more descriptive metadata possibly?)
    04-27-11 10:01 PM
    When I compared my S2 with a PB, the PB screen was more than
    3x my S2 screen. Duh. So...where is the Smart SCREEN MODE
    or what that, when bridged, shows the BB screen, but much larger.

This would also get around the huge embarrassment that BB apps
    cannot just load and go on the PB (as for iPHONE + iPAD): just fire
    up a BB app and see it on the PB, but much larger.

Doctor Neutron
    04-27-11 10:19 PM
    I'll try to keep this short...

A) Hardware / OS

The actual hardware is pretty darned good "as is." The big issue is for RIM to implement all of the existing capabilities that the hardware supports.

My top priorities are a fully functional file manager and USB host mode (USB On-The-Go).

Some users are also still reporting issues with GPS functionality and various minor glitches with the OS. Those need to be ironed out ASAP, in order to assure users that the Playbook is a stable, dependable device.

General printing support across apps is important.

Auto-correct during text entry and the ability to send character input from the virtual keyboard to online flash games, so the keyboard can be used to control online games.

Continue to tighten up memory management.

Support for additional Bluetooth profiles including headphones, headsets w/mics, etc.

B) Web Browser

Multi-tasking across tabs.

Ability to use the virtual keyboard to control online games (see above).

Better bookmarking (hierarchical folders, etc.).

C) Bridging

Bridging needs to be more reliable and consistent. Bridging should provide access to all files on the phone, including video.

BIS users should have the ability to copy files between the phone and Playbook, while BES administrators should be able to enable or disable file copying.

BBM.

D) Camera

The cameras are OK, but we need Skype and BBM w/video conferencing to take full advantage of them.

A good photo editing app would be nice, too.

E) PDF App

Ability to handle markup of PDF files.

Ability to capture and save digital signatures (i.e., ability to use a stylus to sign on the Playbook, not digital codes) within a PDF file.

Ability to create PDFs from Office To Go documents.

F) Other Apps

Get that native e-mail, calendaring and contacts management finished ASAP.

Fully functional apps for Dropbox, Facebook and Twitter are important to many people, and should be a priority.

Support for .mkv video and many more image formats. The Playbook would be a great photographer's tool if it (a) supported importing of images (USB host mode) and (b) included support for professional quality image formats such as Canon and Nikon RAW formats.

G) Final Thoughts

RIM's extreme focus on security is great for their corporate customers, but they need to make sure that it doesn't detract from the user experience for individual consumers or limit what non-corporate (consumer) purchasers can do with their personal Playbooks. For example, RIM shouldn't let concerns about corporate users copying restricted information to external memory keep them from implementing USB host mode, nor should they let such concerns keep them from implementing a fully functional file manager. It's fine to provide controls that allow BES administrators to limit those functions, but those who purchase a Playbook for personal use shouldn't have the functionality of their device artificially limited. The ability to get data into and out of the device easily, and to manage their files easily on the device, is something that consumers need and want.
    Last edited by RescueCop; 04-27-11 at 10:57 PM.
    MisterMe11 and coconutpies like this.
    04-27-11 10:48 PM
    PLAYBOOK BROWSER
    Here's some good feature to add for the browser and make it unique for the playbook

1 - Being able to scroll up and down a webpage by sliding your finger up or down along the right hand side bezel 2.5x faster (configurable in options) than sliding on the page itself.

Why? Too often I find that swiping on the page, i accidentally touch a link and go to a page i dont want. Furthermore, some pages are long - it takes me tons of swiping to be able to go up or down a long page. If the bezel which doesnt do anything can be made into a virtual scrollbar, that would be amazing. Also, you hand won't block any of the view of the screen, which is already limited in size.

2 - Add a feature on so that swiping left/right on the bottom bezel will allow you to do forward or back. It's just more natural and one can potentially hide the weblink bar.

BRIDGE BROWSER
    Need it so that GMAIL and facebook websites can work. Tethering is not an option for me as the BES administrator has deactivated it on my phone.
    04-27-11 10:57 PM
    CORPORATE EMAIL ATTACHMENTS
    I can open ZIP files on my blackberry Bold 9700, but not on my Playbook. This needs to be fixed, please. Make an update so ZIP files can be opened on the Playbook. 80% of my internal corporate emails come in an attachment that is compressed in a ZIP file.

CONFIGURABLE KEYBOARD
    Keyboard should be designed so that it can be configured into different sizes and shapes, so that:
    1) It can mimic a blackberry keyboard. I miss being able to hold down the ALT key and type other symbols, or holding down the shift key and type capital letters.
    2) It can have more keys. For example, a "tab" key will be very useful for filling out web forms
    3) When in horizontal version, there should be a design so that the keys will be close to the edge of the screen with a gap in the middle (so you can type using your thumbs only). The gap in the middle can be used for other things, like predictive text input.
    4) Keyboard of different sizes configurable to take up more or less room. Not everyone needs a keyboard that takes up the entire space!

Of course, the keyboard style should be customizable by the user through the option setting, so that if the person doesn't like it, then they can switch to any mode they can.

Sheet to go
    Excel formulas are really difficult to type in. This needs to be improved. I'm a corporate Bay St user. Trust me.

Youtube App
    Need to be able to access youtube accounts online

Music player
    Music player when playing a list is quite boring. Should be able to display album art or some sort of visualization (e.g. waves, some sort of dancing graphic, arts, etc that go with the beat). Design it so it will pair up nicely with a surround sound system when you hook it up on the tv - being able to show cool visualizations while playing music on the tv (and having friends over)

Calculator
    Need some way to save the calculations into a text file and be able to email out the calculations or send them to a printer please. Otherwise its just becomes a fancy gimmick and not a useful tool.

Alarm Clock
    Need to be able to play music as well, instead of just the boring tones.

Adobe reader
    When in landscape mode, should be able zoom out enough to view entire page. Its difficult to browse / scroll.

Also, the right hand side bezel should be used as a virtual scrollbar so that when you slide your finger on it it scrolls 2.5x faster than sliding it on the normal screen.

General scrolling with right hand side bezel
    I think many programs, including the main operating system, emails, word files, any files that require scrolling, can take advantage of the right hand size bezel to be used as a virtual scrollbar. When you slide your finger on it should scrolls 2.5x faster than sliding it on the normal screen.

Send to email / Share by facebook / twitter etc
    Photos, video recordings and voice recordings should all have options where you can share by email, facebook, twitter, etc just like the blackberry. Right now there is no option to easily share the files.

Active background
    Background is locked to one picture can be pretty boring. Make it similar to Apple Macs where the background can move, or Windows 7 where the background can rotate through a gallery over time.
    gordz, coconutpies and ubizmo like this.
    04-27-11 11:17 PM
    I had seen this mentioned before but had disregarded it as fallacy but today i found out it is truly an issue:

The headphone volume is too low.
    04-28-11 12:21 AM
    File Manager for all types of files

Remote Desktop Access - previous poster noted that LogMeIn gets you into the remote computer but there's no way to access the keyboard on the PlayBook to interact with the remote computer, and I had the same experience. I also tried to access GoToMyPC with my active account and it said "You need a Java-enabled browser to use the GoToMyPC Universal Viewer. To learn how to enable Java in your browser, see: <link>". The link described their Universal Browser, which is supposed to work with any device that supports Java. Doesn't the PlayBook support Java, or is this "coming soon"?

Copy/Paste from all apps

All links active in all apps

Ability to organize music, videos, documents, etc., flexibly and personally

Photo organizer - Can we have the photo app that was demoed before the release? I think TAT did it. That video showed what can be done, and I was really hoping it would be installed at launch.

I too love my PlayBook!
    04-28-11 04:16 AM
    BROWSER

Rename Bookmarks
    Organize Bookmarks into folders
    Multitask tabs

Bridge

Landscape email full page view
    Fix read/unread email bug
    Fix delete email bug - takes multiple pushes

Settings

In charger mode - Auto-opens a specific program (clock?) and auto-selects a sound profile, also prevents the screen from turning off
    Sound profiles - Need to be able to turn off certain sounds at certain times of day
    Bedside Mode - Needs to be added

Other

GPS - Needs to be functional
    Document File Structure - need the ability to maintain folder structure within the document storage
    paulvr01 likes this.
    04-28-11 08:05 AM
    The only thing right now that still requires me to tote my laptop around airports and client sites is the absence of plugins/apps/capabilities for mainstream online presentation tools like WebEx, GoToMeeting, etc. What would be great is a RIM-delivered/PlayBook powered Conferencing App that can agnostically handle starting/running/participating in web meetings from my Playbook.
    04-28-11 09:32 AM
    re: the 'from all apps', 'all types of files'
    - At the upcoming May developer conference there should be intro sessions where the UI is explained, and the importance of all apps consistently using the UI emphasized. I'm sure RIM will do this, but it doesn't hurt to state it since this is a critical issue (insconsistent app behaviour will damage the user experience)

File Manager for all types of files

Copy/Paste from all apps

All links active in all apps
    04-28-11 10:59 AM
    Let me know what you guys think about this one...

- 1:1 gestures. What i mean by this is that when you swipe up from the bottom it should make u feel like you're pulling the application up to display the home screen. Same goes for throwing the application away. It should coincide with your movement, not just see you're moving in an up direction and move itself. It is hard to explain but the best example is when you are in the application switcher screen and u swipe back and forth, the speed of the tiles and how far you go left or right depends on how hard you flick. Just like the status bar on the top. Why not the other gestures? This is just one thing that makes me feel like the OS is way more polished. Again, let me know if you guys agree or if I'm just crazy.
    04-28-11 11:55 AM
    Let me know what you guys think about this one...

- 1:1 gestures. What i mean by this is that when you swipe up from the bottom it should make u feel like you're pulling the application up to display the home screen. Same goes for throwing the application away. It should coincide with your movement, not just see you're moving in an up direction and move itself. It is hard to explain but the best example is when you are in the application switcher screen and u swipe back and forth, the speed of the tiles and how far you go left or right depends on how hard you flick. Just like the status bar on the top. Why not the other gestures? This is just one thing that makes me feel like the OS is way more polished. Again, let me know if you guys agree or if I'm just crazy.
    Definitely not crazy. Apple does this, and it makes their UI buttery smooth. It almost makes me forget about the fact that I only use my iPod to play Angry Birds, listen to music, and for the AirPlay remote app.

Request:

Review and revise ON-SCREEN gestures and their mappings/actions/animations to provide a better 'lockstep' experience. Bezel originated gestures are fine, as the 1:1 mapping would cause too many "incomplete" attempts and would be annoying. (eg. swiping from the edge to switch running apps needs a 'full' gesture to avoid accidential activation)
    Last edited by gpollos; 04-28-11 at 12:16 PM.
    Zwickliffe likes this.
    04-28-11 12:07 PM
530 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD