09-08-13 03:01 PM
530 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    Enable the playbook to play AC3 audio files that are associated with AVI video. This should have been a no brainer from the begining.
    06-26-11 01:02 AM
    does anybody know if a2db or bluetooth audio is going to come.
    I mean the hardware is possible of doing it,or not?
    06-26-11 08:07 AM
    Can't believe it's almost July and you still can't remove or delete apps you don't want on your own tablet, without being prompted to reinstall the most recent OS update?
    The novelty is wearing off.....sigh....
    06-26-11 09:04 AM
    Meanwhile i am really getting scared.
    I mean the pb is very capable,and much is being promised,but right now i am really not sure the missing features i expect of it will even come for sure.
    If someone would guarantee me those things will eventually come,then i have nothing to worry but i didnt even read anywhere some of these are even in planning.
    To be precise what i need to get almost totally happy i would love to get these things.
    -a2dp or at least bluetooth stereo
    -bookmark organizing
    -javascript improvement
    -streaming audio and video files from the local network
    -mkv and ac3 support
    -auto word correction
    -more gestures in the browser - switching tabs,forward/backwards...

i think thats most of it,i only mentioned the things i want,but know for sure if they are comming.Possible would be all of them,now its just the question what rim really wants to do,if it needs time i am ok with it,but it would be good to know if it will happen.

BTW how do we see that our suggestions are even considered implementing by rim?
    msevinsky likes this.
    06-26-11 09:26 AM
    I had to return my PB as the micro USB port would not work. I would not recognize or charge- I think it was physically damaged?

After return they sent me a replacement unit- and once again the usb port will not work. Has anyone else had similar problems?

This 2nd unit will need to go back- but I am leaving on vacation so it will wait.

Thanks!

And I love the PODCAST!
    06-27-11 12:32 PM
    are you using the playbook charger? standard blackberry/generic chargers don't have enough juice for the playbook to use them.
    06-27-11 01:38 PM
    SD cards will be an outdated technology soon, bc of Cloud computing, if you are using Cloud services, a 16gig PB can have as much memory as you are willing to pay for in the Cloud. Not a legit criticism by some in this thread.

Also with the Bridge Browser, while not perfect, with minimal improvements will share data to make the cloud memory accessible anywhere with or without a WiFi.

SD cards have become kind of obsolete or soon will be. And for those that take pix on cameras, with constant improvements on phones and tablets that have cameras built in and Facebook apps, no further need to physically store photos...
    06-27-11 03:42 PM
    1. Bridge eMail needs same functionality on Playbook as BB e.g search, sorting etc.

2. Internet Tethering needs ability to save and edit profiles. I have to select AT&T Broadband each time I try to tether even though my BB is listed as the bluetooth connection.

3. Airplane mode on the menu bar for quick access

4. Bridge feels clunky, needs UI improvement

Before I got my Playbook I thought Bridge was a terrible idea. Now I see value in separating my corporate data from games, etc. It works better than expected but needs polish for widespread acceptance
    killa4luv and msevinsky like this.
    06-27-11 04:39 PM
    Critical missing apps are not necessarily RIM's responsibility but need to be available for main stream acceptance. RIM needs to do whatever they can to get these apps out there.

Citrix Receiver - this is a show stopper for enterprise customers

WorldMate or Blackberry Travel

Netflix

Kindle
    msevinsky likes this.
    06-27-11 04:46 PM
    I had to return my PB as the micro USB port would not work. I would not recognize or charge- I think it was physically damaged?

After return they sent me a replacement unit- and once again the usb port will not work. Has anyone else had similar problems?

This 2nd unit will need to go back- but I am leaving on vacation so it will wait.

Thanks!

And I love the PODCAST!
    Playbook requires a higher output charger than standard USB. You must use a Playbook compatible charger. BB chargers do not qualify. Just because plug fits does not mean it is compatible.
    06-27-11 04:49 PM
    I would like to have the ability to not show the prompt that asks if you are aware there may be charges when tethering. I know there might be and the connection that I always make doesn't charge me.

Let me get tethered quicker.
    06-27-11 08:23 PM
    BBM new message alert on PB while Bridged. some kind of sound or a beep
    Google Maps
    Netflix
    Twitter (like the one on the BB 9800)
    msevinsky likes this.
    06-27-11 10:47 PM
    Hey Guys, go to https://www.blackberry.com/beta/ and join the Global BlackBerry Playbook community and post in the requests section for new features. I will be combining a list of things from this thread as well Future Things We Want Rim To Fix On The Playbook (... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums to that forum. Hopefully we can get a bunch of likes and we will see it implemented soon!.
    06-28-11 03:52 PM
    add some kind of a screen lock......its annoying trying to wipe ur screen and have it turn on and have everything moving while u wipe
    msevinsky likes this.
    06-28-11 06:24 PM
    A. Browser or Bridge Browser
    1. Don't go to new tab directly when clicked to a link, just open new tab, but still in old current page (like OperaMini), because when go to directly to a new tab, it just a blank page (still loading), and I need to open another new tab while it is loading, so when I go to a first new tab, it has been finished load the page. Just make a new configuration in 'Options', that we can choose want to go to new tab directly or still in current page.
    2. Can open file on 'Downloads' directly.
    3. Can save or download file (image, document, music, video) to the PlayBook when using 'Bridge Browser'.

OS
    1. Has a configuration that we can reset all of homescreen icons. Because my 'Browser' icon is lost when I arrange 'Browser' icon to favourite tab a three weeks ago, and now I must click on bookmarked site icon in homescreen to open 'Browser'. I don't know how to make it appear again, I've downloaded new OS upgrade, but it is still lost until now. I won't to wipe, because I have many downloaded app, it will take a long time to install all of them.
    2. Better RAM management, it just stuck on 600++ MB of free RAM when I don't open anything in background. It consume too much just for OS.
    3. More customable tabs, more than only 5 tabs. Can create more tabs.
    4. (just for optional) Faster sliding between tabs (scrolling left or right) even if we are scrolling down a menu in a tab and want to slide to another tab. iOS is very fast (no delay, and can slide to change tab quickly without rest), my friend use iOS, and tell me that on PB (QNX) is not as fast as on iOS.
    5. Folder if it Possible, because when in 'All' Tab, there are very many apps, sometimes it is confusing.

C. Camera
    1. Enable zooming on Video Camera recording.
    msevinsky likes this.
    06-29-11 01:52 AM
    For me it is more important to extend the functionality and stability of the current set of applications:

Improve stability and performance of Bridge: for me it sometimes hangs/crashes or behaves strangely
    Improve email functionality: more features as per BB handheld eg: shortcuts, better searching such as unread emails, autocomplete for typing, etc.
    More functions in Documents to go: Word: add row in table, Sheets: copy and paste row

A native Twitter app and RDP client with gateway support would be nice to have. BB Protect would also be handy in case your device goes missing.
    06-30-11 06:40 AM
    BB protect would be nice. Given that they scrapped the 10" pb in exchange for qnx developement, I have a feeling we will be seeing more promising updates in the near future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-11 07:12 AM
    I used the Bridge Browser for the first time yesterday. I usually connect via wi-fi.

It's irritating enough that it is a seperate app, but it is simply stupid design that it doesn't share the bookmarks with the wi-fi browser?!

Combine the bookmarks please RIM.

Even better would be to combine the browser apps into a single Browser and for the playbook to automatically select the connection (wi-fi, BBphone) depending on what's available. Other platforms *cough* do this automatic selection of connections, so I doubt it's beyond the wit of man (or RIM).
    killa4luv and msevinsky like this.
    06-30-11 07:22 AM
    With the browser on the iPad 2 (I know, I know....settle down) there's a lovely feature that you touch on the top of the browser screen and the page scrolls up to the top of that page really fast. It's brilliant for, say, forums that don't have a "top" button to hit at the bottom of the page ... or if you are 3/4 of the way through and want to go to the top of the page.
    06-30-11 07:33 AM
    Unless I am missing something, I must unlock my handset first, and then, using the same password, unlock it again when entering the Bridge mode. This can be a little frustrating when the phone is not at hand, and it seems redundant from a security point of view. The user should have at least the option of allowing one-step unlocking via the Bridge.
    06-30-11 10:55 AM
    WoW this is great!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm the creator the Blackberry Playbook Application Initiative thread here on crackberry.com

I've decided to go one step further and have now created:

Blackberry Playbook Application Initiative - Your Source for Social News and Networking

As you can imagine, it has exceed all my expectations.

Therefore, at the suggestion of someone within this thread, I have started migrating everything into a single website that could then eventually be used for other purposes as well.

One of those purposes is to also gave the features discussed both in this thread, and through the web such as the Blackberry Forums and other Blackberry Fan sites.

So, without further ado, I give you, the ALPHA version of:

Blackberry Playbook Application Initiative - Your Source for Social News and Networking

The site is built on the Pligg, an open sourced version of Digg.

Since it's so much like Digg, I've decided to go with Disqus as the commenting system so I can restrict comments to only those pertinent.

Regretfully, there is no OAuth log-in YET to vote, but you do have to log-in and create an account.

If any of you are familiar with Pligg and know how to integrate OAuth log-in, such as with Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, Hotmail, AOL, Yahoo, etc..., then please, let me know.

Submissions have to be approved before they make it to the main section, which I'll do once a day.

As you can see, I'm in need of a logo, and a better theme, so I'm asking looking into getting some possible prizes to give away to the winning logo.

PM me if you have any suggestions, or want to offer your services.

Finally, I've also created a Site "Feedback" Category for you to offer your input.

I'm asking for your feedback and help so that, ideally, by next week, we can lock the original thread down and finalize the move of everything to the site.

Please keep in mind, when making your suggestions, that I'm not a website developer/coder or graphic designer. I'm using a standard CMS with the default theme, therefore I'm limited in what I can and cannot do. If you have an idea, and know how to implement it, tell me and I'll look into adding it.

Want to create the official logo of the Blackberry Playbook Initiative:

Have your creativity appear on any shirts, buttons, or stickers available through Cafepress?

I'm proud to announce I have just received the final confirmation.

I can now offer the following prizes to the winning design:
    • Upgrade to the Pro License Version of Vlingo ($19.99 Value)
    • Full licensed version of PogoPlug Server software for the desktop ($29 Value)
    • An Otterbox Playbook Defender Case ($30-$60 Value)

Once again, thank you for your continued support.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    07-01-11 07:57 PM
    Unless I am missing something, I must unlock my handset first, and then, using the same password, unlock it again when entering the Bridge mode. This can be a little frustrating when the phone is not at hand, and it seems redundant from a security point of view. The user should have at least the option of allowing one-step unlocking via the Bridge.
    I don't have to unlock my phone in order to use the bridge. If the phone is locked when I try and connect via the Bridge, the PB prompts me to enter the password. Once I enter the password I can access the Bridge.
    07-02-11 08:20 AM
    I think improvement needs to happen at the retailers because they aren't going to sell if anyone has the experience I had yesterday at 2 different stores cause if they and you want them to sell they sure aren't going to when either they don't work at all or the one that does no one can figure out how to register it and in another store it's still on the original OS and laggy and not even in showcase mode etc.

Your normal consumer is going to look at that and move on.

Edit: If I were RIM I would be furious but then maybe it's RIM's fault it's this way?
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-02-11 at 08:46 AM. Reason: add about RIM
    07-02-11 08:44 AM
    I think improvement needs to happen at the retailers because they aren't going to sell if anyone has the experience I had yesterday at 2 different stores cause if they and you want them to sell they sure aren't going to when either they don't work at all or the one that does no one can figure out how to register it and in another store it's still on the original OS and laggy and not even in showcase mode etc.

Your normal consumer is going to look at that and move on.

Edit: If I were RIM I would be furious but then maybe it's RIM's fault it's this way?
    Same thing at one of our carrier stores here in Toronto. I went in to a Rogers store to buy another micro-HDMI, and the OS on their show model was on the first released version. WiFi was not connected, and the clerk mentioned that they have had 0 training with the unit and were unsure of what to do with it.I guess there is enough blame to go all the way around. I have to agree, if the staff don't know, how can they pass along helpful information to the average consumer?
    07-03-11 08:34 PM
    Agreed, this is due to content encryption being enabled on your device, very frustrating. unfortunately ours is corporate policy but its ludicrous that a password is needed twice.

I also sometimes get a funny orange enter password screen.

The other bug ive noticed is when in showcase mode and multitasking over the bridge, the keyboard goes missing and occasionally other options do not work when tapping them. The only way to get it back is close the bridge app and relaunch. Doesn't happen in default mode.

So much potential with this device; but for example I work in technology for a global bank 150,000 employees and our technology seniors have denied the playbook a chance. We invested heavily in ipad and the playbook simply missed the boat. apple has cost us hugely in 3rd party apps, internal developers and has increased support required, so i guess they dont want to send more time and money on another device. Even though the playbook would have met all their requirements with a 1/10th of the cost!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-03-11 08:53 PM
530 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD